WvW go broke or PvE get rich

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

Why is it that I have to go broke if I want to play WvW but the PvE people this last few weeks have amassed enough cash to buy precursors? Change the supply camp claimers to champs and increase the quality drops in WvW.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Posted by: Lyndis.2584

Lyndis.2584

Compared to a few months ago they definitely have increased rewards for WvW players, but it does indeed still pale to PvE content.

.:: FaTe ~ [SoS] ::.

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Why is it that I have to go broke if I want to play WvW but the PvE people this last few weeks have amassed enough cash to buy precursors? Change the supply camp claimers to champs and increase the quality drops in WvW.

1) Champs as camp supervisors if a horrible idea, making camps more difficult to solo will only raise the cost of average WvW play.

2) quality of drops/rewards in WvW has been going up steadily for the last 6 months. I’ve already gotten 2 ascended rings from rank chests and average about 3-4 exotics at week from straight drops.

3)through rank chests, badge drops and yes, even the puzzles, siege blueprints are trivial to obtain in sufficient numbers. unless you’re dropping 20+ rams a day, you no longer need to spend any money to stay supplied. You can even SELL your unused siege blueprints on the TP now, yet more income for WvW players.

based on this, I don’t see how any player, even a total noobie, can actually go broke in WvW since the ONLY sinks are armor repair costs and upgrades.

so don’t die as much and let other pay for upgrades if you’re struggling that much to keep your gold count from dropping.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Joey.2769

So be selfish and don’t que upgrades that’s a great way to think of it. Let me be clear the gold that the PvE group is getting right now is netting them on average of 10g/hr you think you are even in the ballpark in WvW. Come on quit being such a fanboy.

Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Posted by: Slomo.1029

Slomo.1029

Compared to a few months ago they definitely have increased rewards for WvW players, but it does indeed still pale to PvE content.

Because its basicly a sea of white, blue and green stuff. Just like most of the PvE zones. Except PvE has Orr (filled with strong mobs and events) and the world events with at least a rare per day.
I like the ammount of money I get. Its okay if you arent building towards a legendary or somthing. Otherwise you have to play the trading post in addition to WvW.

~ Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

It also depends heavily on whether your server is winning or losing. If you’re winning, you’re getting more bags, paying for fewer upgrades, and taking more stuff.

If you’re losing… well, no bags, and I probably spent 5-6 gold last night trying to keep things upgraded / defended while outmanned and out-PVE’d.

Although I guess I’m not surprised, given the current match up of:
5. Fort Aspenwood
9. Crystal Desert
12. Ehmry Bay

Seriously. A rank 5 against a rank 12. Tier 2 against a Tier 4. Bleh.

in WvW

GrandmaFunk.3052

So be selfish and don’t que upgrades that’s a great way to think of it. Let me be clear the gold that the PvE group is getting right now is netting them on average of 10g/hr you think you are even in the ballpark in WvW. Come on quit being such a fanboy.

I didn’t say never queue upgrades, I said don’t queue the upgrade if you cannot afford to. you’re the one complaining about going broke, I’m trying to help you avoid that. Also, there’s a lot of players that order upgrades asap, without considering if it’s even the right strategic decision.. so by all means leave the responsibility to others.

and if you’re a primarily WvW player, what does it matter if other players elsewhere are getting 10g/hr, you don’t need 10g/hr anyway.

I’m not a fanboy, I just realize that my gameplay doesn’t suffer in any way because other players happen to be making more gold than me.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

Yeah, it is a money choice, this is true. I think they’re trying to address it lately with extra drops and stuff, it’s just unfortunate it’s happening at the same time pve has became so much more lucrative. I’m hardcore wvw and even I’m having trouble keeping my focus off the shinies.

(edited because my typo bugged me)

(edited by Sitkaz.5463)

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

5 invasions: I made 30g. 5 hours of WvW: I can make ~2-3g (unless I get a lucky drop).

invasions: spam 1 WPing around. WvW: sometimes spam 1, have to try to survive.

So, if you want money, its always faster and easier to do PvE, especially since the LS stuff is basically just a champion farm.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I completely disagree about changing supply camp supervisors to champions.

On the other hand, I would like to see the current LS rewards toned down a bit. Inflation is skyrocketing and my entire server has left WvW to farm PvE because the rewards are better (we were outmanned on all maps for about 90% of yesterday evening and early night, which is our peak). Those of us who are still playing WvW instead of farming are seeing our money devalue faster than we can earn it.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

(edited by EnemyCrusher.7324)

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

WvW is downright profitable these days. I think the loot factor is right where it needs to be. It’s not as profitable as PvE, but it sure pays off in fun, and I make several gold per night. I’m more than happy with it.

in WvW

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

It was done to inflate gold prices, meaning the gold > gem conversion becomes steeper, encouraging more people to pay actual $ for gems.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

keep supervisors stats the same as they are
change their names to champs

problem solved!

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Emerge.9640

Emerge.9640

1) Champs as camp supervisors if a horrible idea, making camps more difficult to solo will only raise the cost of average WvW play.

2) quality of drops/rewards in WvW has been going up steadily for the last 6 months. I’ve already gotten 2 ascended rings from rank chests and average about 3-4 exotics at week from straight drops.

3)through rank chests, badge drops and yes, even the puzzles, siege blueprints are trivial to obtain in sufficient numbers. unless you’re dropping 20+ rams a day, you no longer need to spend any money to stay supplied. You can even SELL your unused siege blueprints on the TP now, yet more income for WvW players.

based on this, I don’t see how any player, even a total noobie, can actually go broke in WvW since the ONLY sinks are armor repair costs and upgrades.

so don’t die as much and let other pay for upgrades if you’re struggling that much to keep your gold count from dropping.

Sounds like you do a ton of pvdoor.

ROAM | Oink | TLP

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

He couldnt be, He not on IoJ..

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

WvW is downright profitable these days. I think the loot factor is right where it needs to be. It’s not as profitable as PvE, but it sure pays off in fun, and I make several gold per night. I’m more than happy with it.

I average just over a gold an hour in WvW most nights. I can easily make 10gph in PvE and had I rode the gold train before they patched it 50gph was achievable.

Since precursors drop at a RIDICULOUSLY low rate (I nor nobody in our small guild has ever seen one and that is well over 10k hours playing) the only way to get a legendary is to PvE or pimp yourself out.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I average just over a gold an hour in WvW most nights. I can easily make 10gph in PvE and had I rode the gold train before they patched it 50gph was achievable.

Since precursors drop at a RIDICULOUSLY low rate (I nor nobody in our small guild has ever seen one and that is well over 10k hours playing) the only way to get a legendary is to PvE or pimp yourself out.

I’d rather have real fun than grind/farm out mobs for hours on end for some artificial currency. It baffles me how people defend their ability to essentially ram their heads against walls for hours on end.

“Well, look at all the chips in that wall!”
“Sure, but now you’ve got brain damage.”

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

Wars are expensive just ask the US.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

in WvW

Posted by: urak.4863

urak.4863

With the current PvE chain of events, just PvE for 45 min or 1.5 hours and spend the rest of the days WvW-ing.

Your passion is in WvW but you need to fund that passion/hobby and PvE is the solution to that.

I eat breakfast for dinner.

in WvW

GrandmaFunk.3052

Mostly roam and defend towers

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I think this is becoming more of an issue now because these constant events are giving players 10g + per hour. Ive TP flipped in the past to keep my coin up but its hard to do this right now because its a buyers market and with the extreme level of farming that is going on with these events its hard to get a guage on where Anet are going and where the market is going. They have claimed in the past they don’t want farming going on, or something to this effect, and now they are bringing out all this content which is basically one big farming session.

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Spend your daily 30 minutes on CoF p1+p2. Get your 3 gold. Profit.
Really, I’m no commander (yet), but I usually queue lesser upgrades on towers/camps when no one else does so, and I at least manage not to end with less money than when I started playing that day.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I think this is becoming more of an issue now because these constant events are giving players 10g + per hour.

Yes its an issue as its draining general WvW population, but WvWers can PvE too. Spend 2 days on PvE (any activity, dungeons, fractals, invasions, Orr farming) and you have enough gold to fund your WvW activities for a month. Is that really such a horrible thing?

I dont think Anet has ever wanted us to ONLY play PvE or ONLY play WvW or ONLY play sPvP. It’d be boring fast because neither part is really all that spectacular on its own. At least for me its the complete package that’s appealing and keep me coming back.

in WvW

sostronk.8167

Is that really such a horrible thing?

Yes. Also, sPvP is designed to be completely independent of PvE and WvW. WvW is dependent on PvE. PvE is dependent on nothing.

in WvW

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

I think this is becoming more of an issue now because these constant events are giving players 10g + per hour.

I dont think Anet has ever wanted us to ONLY play PvE or ONLY play WvW or ONLY play sPvP.

One of Anet manifesto is to want us to play the game as we wanted. Why should they force us to PvE just to get gold? sPvP is understandable since everone get the same stuff, but WvW, no.

Beside, getting gold is not the main issue right now, it’s how LS that lasted for 2-4 weeks making WvW a ghost town, since staying in PvE for 2-4 weeks can get you a precursor while staying in WvW won’t get you anywhere.

in WvW

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

We HAVE been seeing increased rewards in WvW which is great even if they aren’t on par with PvE yet. However, I feel like once they make Magic Find account bound rather than a choice in armor, dedicated WvW players will be a bit more on par with PvE.

in WvW

Posted by: Emerge.9640

Emerge.9640

Mostly roam and defend towers

SS or it didn’t happen.

ROAM | Oink | TLP

in WvW

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

You mean you can get better then rares from rank chests? Oh the Gods must hate me. 91 ranks on my main and another 80 ranks on my other 7 levels 80’s and all I have pulled from those chests is a couple of rares.

So it may be better for some but not for everyone!

Theftwind (HoD)

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

I only play WvW.
I don’t give a kitten about Legendaries, the Magic Toilet or Transmutation.

I’ve got over 250 gold in my wallet right now and there’s nothing I need/want to buy with it.
In the end, it’s just the same as karma. It’s worth nothing.

in WvW

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

I only play WvW.

I’ve got over 250 gold in my wallet right now and there’s nothing I need/want to buy with it.

Can I have some? My bags are pretty small

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I only play WvW.

If you need nothing and want nothing, and it is worth nothing, then give it to me. I’ll use it.

No? Didn’t think so.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

PvE reward was always 3 steps ahead. Over the past months WvW took a two steps forward in reward, and over the past 2 weeks PvE took 10 steps forward in reward.

If anything the balance in reward between WvW and PvE has never been more skewed.

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

And all that extra PvE gold is inflating TP prices :-(

in WvW

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

That’s my big problem. For the time it takes to use 10 Spicy Marinated Mushrooms and 20 of the master oils, I’m only netting 1g on a very good day.

Edit: That’s 10 hours of playtime, so it’s generally 2-2.5 days worth of logins, but you get the idea.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

(edited by Klawlyt.6507)

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

That’s my big problem. For the time it takes to use 10 Spicy Marinated Mushrooms and 20 of the master oils, I’m only netting 1g on a very good day.

Edit: That’s 10 hours of playtime, so it’s generally 2-2.5 days worth of logins, but you get the idea.

This is the main issue for wvw centric players that arent just in the blob. To be certain of being on a level playing fiels with your opponent you have to keep up consumables all the time and TP inflation is making this more and more expensive.

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

I’m not disagreeing with you, but offering some friendly advice.

Even though this is a game the reality is war does cost money – instead of being a victim to the current WvW loot problem dedicate a tiny amount of time to PvE war funds each week. If, for example, before stepping into WvW each day you did a really quick CoF P1 run you would net 2g or so in total (this shouldn’t take you more than 20 minutes).

I’m not saying “then play PvE noob”, I am saying that sometimes war needs funding and PvE is one way to do that – in a way minuscule amounts of PvE form part of an effective war effort. If you find yourself buying a lot of superior siege offset that cost with a little (and be disciplined about that) PvE farming.

But WvWers do need better rewards, I couldn’t agree more – just don’t be a complacent victim while you wait for ANet to sort it out.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I find it hard to believe that someone on the 4th most populated WvW server in NA is losing money.

in WvW

zamalek.2154

I find it hard to believe that someone on the 4th most populated WvW server in NA is losing money.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/21263

The cost of being a commander far exceeds the cost of the badge, and if you are a helpful/zealous WvW player yours will be close to that cost.

If you are brainlessly running around in zergs, then sure, I would find that hard to believe – but that clearly isn’t the case with the OP and most of the people on this thread.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

<snip>

If you are brainlessly running around in zergs, then sure, I would find that hard to believe – but that clearly isn’t the case with the OP and most of the people on this thread.

Too true.
1 Hour spent defending Hills against repeated attacks from a small group (5-8 people) during the off hours – good for my server but pathetic in terms of gold for me.

in WvW

Swamurabi.7890

The cost of being a commander far exceeds the cost of the badge, and if you are a helpful/zealous WvW player yours will be close to that cost.

Regular flame rams are built with Flame Ram Blueprints, which can be bought from a Siege Master for either 6s or 6 badges.

If you’re a good commander you should have plenty of one of them and not have to buy them for 16s on the TP.

in WvW

Swamurabi.7890

<snip>

Too true.
1 Hour spent defending Hills against repeated attacks from a small group (5-8 people) during the off hours – good for my server but pathetic in terms of gold for me.

I’ll give you that playing for PPT is not as rewarding as playing for fights, but still, being on the 4th most populated WvW server in NA you should be able to find someone to relieve you of your boring “defend Hills” assignment. Or you could let the 5-8 people take hills and you come back with your 30-40 and get all the WxP, karma and still maintain your precious PPT.

in WvW

zamalek.2154

Regular flame rams are built with Flame Ram Blueprints, which can be bought from a Siege Master for either 6s or 6 badges.

The link was to “Superior Flame Ram” which costs nothing near to 6s/6b; which you would know if… never mind.

The skills points you need to craft them drop from champs now, I hear those are everywhere in PvE. Once again “WvW go broke or PvE get rich”.

Auroraglade

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in WvW

sostronk.8167

If you’re a good commander you should have plenty of one of them and not have to buy them for 16s on the TP.

If your a good commander, your not using regular flame rams.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

if youre a good commander, you know how to choose between the 2

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

zamalek.2154

Exactly. Nor are you letting one of the most defensible positions on the BL fall to 5-8 people, especially if it’s upgraded to T3 (highly likely if you have a lot of broke players on your server).

if youre a good commander, you know how to choose between the 2

True, however, as a good commander who is probably escorting dollys when not flagged on, it’s highly likely that using them responsibly is still going to kill your bank.

Auroraglade

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I only play WvW.

I want a magic toilet. Also, you wouldn’t have that much money if you would support your team by upgrading camps and structures.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in WvW

Joey.2769

To be honest I have about 5g in the bank most times but my guild and I like to support the PPT for our server and are very proud of our server. We escort doly, scout, defend and que upgrades. We most the time are separate from the zerg and do not gain much from the captures or zerg vs zerg. We almost always use superior as you can get into the reinforced/fortified structures quicker with them. Also superiors make way better detterants when a zerg comes and we defend with lower numbers. I am just tired of the disparity that exist between PvE and WvW and I’m tired of everyone excusing it because “PvE pays the bills” This game has been out for a year and never once have I felt like an equal player compared to a PvE player. There is something wrong with that.

Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

Great question. I have a follow up question: Since WvW players are a lot poorer than PvE’ers, I bet they spend more money on the gem store. Assuming that logic makes sense and is true in reality, why does most development go to PvE?

To the people saying that money is fine in WvW: I don’t zerg, but I don’t spend a dime on siege or upgrades (I don’t care about the PPT). I earn around a gold a night in WvW. My friends earned 100+ gold last week each in PvE. I can’t afford to buy the top tier food and oils any more due to the absurd inflation lately (thanks to PvE’ers). If I want to level and gear another WvW character, that’ll be another $15 for Anet.

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Great question. I have a follow up question: Since WvW players are a lot poorer than PvE’ers, I bet they spend more money on the gem store. Assuming that logic makes sense and is true in reality, why does most development go to PvE?

To the people saying that money is fine in WvW: I don’t zerg, but I don’t spend a dime on siege or upgrades (I don’t care about the PPT). I earn around a gold a night in WvW. My friends earned 100+ gold last week each in PvE. I can’t afford to buy the top tier food and oils any more due to the absurd inflation lately (thanks to PvE’ers). If I want to level and gear another WvW character, that’ll be another $15 for Anet.

The food price situation is seriously out of control, which is crazy because in WvW you need it much more to stay competitive. And if you’re tryin to ninja towers as a small group, I can go 30 min with only a few fights but spend the 20s (or whatever).

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Joey.2769

I think the inflation going on is a huge issue. If the PvE bunch got their money and it didn’t effect the TP that would be fine but the cost for everything is going up.

Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow