WvW matchups wrong after patch

in WvW

Posted by: EBKane.6892

EBKane.6892

Had to edit original image as to comply by the forum rules (foul language lol) Anyway.....

WvW went down and a Yak’s Bend Commander tweaked!

P.S. Seige will be gone... :/ that sucks, so much time spent defending our stuff from SBI lol

Attachments:

C L I F F Y — Cliffys Mesmer
C L I F F I E — Cliffies Warrior
Cliffies Huntard

in WvW

Posted by: RLHawk.3290

RLHawk.3290

“RLHawk you playing the same game ? 1 Good WvW patch and 1 half decent over 13months. PvE has gotten what ? 20-25 ptaches

Yes, I play it. And I play largely WvW. Perhaps you need some history? Obviously initially a lot of the focus was on seeing how well everything worked on such a large scale and doing lots of bug fixes. After a while the decision to remove Orbs of Power was made, because they did more harm than good. Shortly after that loot was improved. Then events were added to help breakout of your starting location when overwhelmed too long. Then Laurels were added with the ability to get them in only WvW, and load times were improved a lot. They made orange swords only show for larger battles, opening up all kinds of new strategies for sneak attacks. Leaderboards were added. Ranks were added, along with special abilities to use your rank points on. Culling was removed — before it was removed in PvE, mind you. More buying options were given so that more and more could be acquired through only playing WvW. Tons of improvements to siege and abilities were made. Obsidian Sanctum was given its own map. Traps were added. The ability for commanders to ping maps and draw paths was added. (Not strictly WvW, but has the biggest influence there.) Matchmaking was improved. Rewards were increased again greatly with new incentives for PvEers to do WvW for help buying ascended items. Siege blueprints were made trade-able, balancing their cost and encouraging their further use. Rewards were again increased greatly. Borderland bloodlust was added, and in today’s update again rewards have been increased as well as both incentives to play and to do well. And then seasons starting in a couple of weeks with new rewards and incentives.

On top of all of that, nearly every patch for the last year at least has WvW specific bug fixes and minor improvements to rewards, gameplay, and balance in the update notes. And new and improved rank abilities have been added almost every update since they came out, as well as new finishers.

For the gametype that WvW is, I’m really not sure what you expect or want. Do you want celebrations to affect WvW more? Do you want world bosses and events and story content to be added to WvW? I’m assuming that Borderlands Bloodlust and Ranks & Abilities are the only things you consider decent updates, and I’d agree that they’re probably the most game changing. But the beauty of WvW is that each weak is its own story. It doesn’t /need/ progressive story content added to it, because you and I playing it is what creates that story.

As I see it, WvW is a huge focus of theirs. But to make changes similar to PvE changes at such a pace would be a big mistake in my opinion. WvW is a very different game type.

IGN: Elvendir (Elementalist)
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

Wow it’s still down? I mean I realized you guys made a mistake….but….it’s still down?

P.S. Hope it’s fixed while I drive home from work….or else i’m probably going to get infracted for a post when I get home! lol

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

#RLHawk I stopped Reading after "Yea I play it… " If I wanted or needed a lecture I join Uni again.

Get me WvW

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in WvW

Posted by: Madam Pomfrey.4162

Madam Pomfrey.4162

I think the golem used to test WvW malfunctioned and gave wrong results when testing.

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Meh, I just wanted to log on and kill some people before work. >.<

Anet has other plans for you… You must….PVE O-O

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: wAddlEz.3745

wAddlEz.3745

Well, back to WoW until W* beta invite I guess…

in WvW

Posted by: Safir.9203

Safir.9203

I think the golem used to test WvW malfunctioned and gave wrong results when testing.

Inconceivable.

All Asuran technology is a true reflection of its inventors: Flawless! Absolutely 100% flawless!!

If there’s a problem with the testing golem, blame the boneheaded bookahs who surely mucked up the golem’s programming. This kind of screw up is what happens when you go cheap on IT support… Hiring the services of a genius doesn’t come cheaply, after all. If it would have been a dedicated Krewe coding for WvW, we’d have private commander tags, no lag, and close match-ups by now….

Poor Anet, forced to rely on overgrown kittehs, lettuce-heads, and humans for their daily operations. Cut them some slack, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link(s).

(edited by Safir.9203)

in WvW

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Cool dungeon today, looking forward to wvw once it gets fixed thanks guys

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in WvW

Posted by: Asudementio.8526

Asudementio.8526

Well, back to WoW until W* beta invite I guess…

Bye, don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Leader of [Suh]
My moves are fresh, like my groceries.
#TeamEvonforever

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

I dont understand how this can happen. Why the hell is there no backup of the state wvw was in before the patch!?
The fact that it all resets will probably make the difference in us loosing the matchup this week… great…

Are you that scared of Blackgate? 30k points is going to be rough but I think we can try to accommodate you.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

So this, so so so this.

I laughed so hard

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

RLHawk.3290

#RLHawk I stopped Reading after "[Yea] I play it… " If I wanted or needed a lecture I join Uni again.

Get me WvW

Alrighty then. ’tis a shame I wasted my time typing all that.

Regardless though, I was simply trying to make the point that ANet cares just as much or more about WvW as you do. It’s good that you’re eager for it to be fixed though, so I’ll stop fighting you. After all, as far as our love of WvW, we seem to be on the same page.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

#RLHawk I stopped Reading after "[Yea] I play it… " If I wanted or needed a lecture I join Uni again.

Get me WvW

Regardless though, I was simply trying to make the point that ANet cares just as much or more about WvW as you do. It’s good that you’re eager for it to be fixed though, so I’ll stop fighting you. After all, as far as our love of WvW, we seem to be on the same page.

What the game def needs more of are apologists.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Sazed.6730

Sazed.6730

I would like to update you on the current issue with WvW.

We have identified what is causing the problem and are currently working to resolve it.

Once we will reactivate WvW, the matchups that started last Friday will continue with the correct score.

Please note that all objectives will be reset to their starting state, and all siege weapons that were deployed will be gone.

I currently do not have an ETA for when WvW will be reactivated, but we will let you know immediately once it is up and running again.

Once again – apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I dont understand how this can happen. Why the hell is there no backup of the state wvw was in before the patch!?
The fact that it all resets will probably make the difference in us loosing the matchup this week… great…

…wait…seriously? You don’t get why they don’t roll back all their servers on a whim? Roll backs are only ever the last resort bro. First step is find the problem, if that problem is integral to the patch, I.e. cannot be removed without destabilizing the program, then you roll back. Otherwise ya find the break in code and patch it closed…it’s why we call them “patches”.

Second of all, if a few hours of a Tuesday morning is going to make your server lose, you probably weren’t going to win anyhow.

Just get it all out buddy. It’s all going to be OK.

AND to the kittenin idiot, there is a HUGE difference between rolling back DATA vs rolling back the actual PROGRAM. Specially since in this case no changes have been apparently been made to the data structure of the objects i expect to be restored to their initial state.

Please enlighten us all on the difference between data and a program. I’m dying to know.

I am not the OP, but… rolling back a program requires a new build. So maybe they have a git repository with all of their code and they have patched and then built a new .exe from that source to get where they are now. Then they find the WvW bug, and they have to patch the source and create a new .exe (program). That program will contain all of the last patches changes, and the most recent fix.

Separate from that, they have data stored on their servers that the program accesses to fill in all of the information the GUI displays. Rolling this data back does not require the build to change.

These are separate entities, and changing the program does not HAVE to touch the data, hence why the siege and keeps/towers, etc., for each color didn’t change, but something the program did caused the realm associated with that color/matchup to change. That said, the way the program interacted with the data may require a manual rewrite, making it relatively easy to keep the points where they are while fixing the matchups, but at the expense of individual data for each keep/tower/siege.

I am clearly speculating about why, but what it does mean is that all of the T3 upgrades and defense a server has put into the matchup will be wiped and that gives every server that was unable to keep their towers/keeps new life to get back into it.

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

What about the realm defender and master of disaster title track?
Did we lose all progress on that?

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I love this funny little mix-up that occurred. Big respect to Anet, take all the time you need to fix it. We’re happy to wait! :-)

Yep, take your time. We were getting spawncamped and dominated on every borderland by the #3 server anyway. We had nothing to lose.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

RLHawk.3290

Get me WvW

What the game def needs more of are apologists.

Lol. I’m not entirely sure if that’s genuine or sarcasm. Either way, thank you! Sometimes I feel compelled to defend the game and the developers. Other times I feel it’s fairly useless on the forums, so I can see it as either genuine encouragement or sarcasm and appreciate it either way. Hehe

Attachments:

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: airstu.2579

airstu.2579

I think the reset is awsome. PvD servers can feel the pain of logging in to paper everything. Hope your NA crews aren’t as awful as we know they are or else your SEA karma trains might have to do something beside build rams.

Calisto – NSP BPTCBP
Dictator for Life
Shiverpeaks Search and Rescue [Lost]

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

OMG … me too – this 100 times over. I bet they are laughing there kitten off and sharing this internally.

YIP YIP YIP

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

We have identified what is causing the problem and are currently working to resolve it.

Once we will reactivate WvW, the matchups that started last Friday will continue with the correct score.

Please note that all objectives will be reset to their starting state, and all siege weapons that were deployed will be gone.

I currently do not have an ETA for when WvW will be reactivated, but we will let you know immediately once it is up and running again.

…wait…seriously? You don’t get why they don’t roll back all their servers on a whim? Roll backs are only ever the last resort bro. First step is find the problem, if that problem is integral to the patch, I.e. cannot be removed without destabilizing the program, then you roll back. Otherwise ya find the break in code and patch it closed…it’s why we call them “patches”.

Second of all, if a few hours of a Tuesday morning is going to make your server lose, you probably weren’t going to win anyhow.

Before calling ppl idiots you should try not being an idiot.
-snip-

I never called anyone an idiot. Perhaps you have a guilty conscious? If so by all means continue with the QQ.

AND to the kittenin idiot, there is a HUGE difference between rolling back DATA vs rolling back the actual PROGRAM. Specially since in this case no changes have been apparently been made to the data structure of the objects i expect to be restored to their initial state.

Please enlighten us all on the difference between data and a program. I’m dying to know.

I am not the OP, but… rolling back a program requires a new build. So maybe they have a git repository with all of their code and they have patched and then built a new .exe from that source to get where they are now. Then they find the WvW bug, and they have to patch the source and create a new .exe (program). That program will contain all of the last patches changes, and the most recent fix.

Separate from that, they have data stored on their servers that the program accesses to fill in all of the information the GUI displays. Rolling this data back does not require the build to change.

These are separate entities, and changing the program does not HAVE to touch the data, hence why the siege and keeps/towers, etc., for each color didn’t change, but something the program did caused the realm associated with that color/matchup to change. That said, the way the program interacted with the data may require a manual rewrite, making it relatively easy to keep the points where they are while fixing the matchups, but at the expense of individual data for each keep/tower/siege.

I am clearly speculating about why, but what it does mean is that all of the T3 upgrades and defense a server has put into the matchup will be wiped and that gives every server that was unable to keep their towers/keeps new life to get back into it.

Presuming data is archived in real time by the program, modifications to this data, after the point of patching the program, are likely to become dependant to that build if this data set is dependent on any portion of the patch. If data is not archived in real time (likely case) there’s nothing to revert back to other than a default state set by the programming.

Though what I was getting at with my initial statement is that though all data isn’t a program, all programs are in fact data =P

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in WvW

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Are you that scared of Blackgate? 30k points is going to be rough but I think we can try to accommodate you.

If you look at the points trends, you guys push really kitten tuesdays, and guess what day they decided to unfortify and desiege all our kitten :P

in WvW

Posted by: Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

If you look at the points trends, you guys push really kitten tuesdays, and guess what day they decided to unfortify and desiege all our kitten :P

Well at this rate nobody is actually getting to play on Tuesdays so it should all balance out!

NAGA|TC

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

It’s true, we raised gold to buy anet! Guilds are a thing of the past.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Sazed.6730

Sazed.6730

Before calling ppl idiots you should try not being an idiot.
-snip-

I never called anyone an idiot. Perhaps you have a guilty conscious? If so by all means continue with the QQ.

Presuming data is archived in real time by the program, modifications to this data, after the point of patching the program, are likely to become dependant to that build if this data set is dependent on any portion of the patch. If data is not archived in real time (likely case) there’s nothing to revert back to other than a default state set by the programming.

Though what I was getting at with my initial statement is that though all data isn’t a program, all programs are in fact data =P

Yup, I definitely didn’t take your initial statement in your intended direction. As far as the data being build-dependent, that is quite possible, but I don’t expect them to explain and I should probably work rather than speculate…

in WvW

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Oooh please update us – I don’t know whether to give up and log…

in WvW

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

yay FA went from 20ppt vs jq to being this

Hahaha! at least you felt what it’s to be a JQ player for some minutes. That ownage, feel good, no? hahaha!

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

I blame Stealth.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Wow it’s still down? I mean I realized you guys made a mistake….but….it’s still down?

P.S. Hope it’s fixed while I drive home from work….or else i’m probably going to get infracted for a post when I get home! lol

Teq didn’t spawn for over 12 hours and they didn’t even communicate anything. At least here there is some communication.

However once again Anets lack of proper user testing brings them undone.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Is it Scarlet invading the mists?

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in WvW

Posted by: Ebony.5738

Ebony.5738

Teq didn’t spawn for over 12 hours and they didn’t even communicate anything. At least here there is some communication.

However once again Anets lack of proper user testing brings them undone.

I will never complain about “lack of proper user testing” since the release of Diablo 3, I think anet is doing a fantastic job!

Verdánt

in WvW

Gamadorn.2670

Seriously though….I hope you guys fixed WvW soon…i’m not going to go into my dev bashing rant today….i’m going to go the nice route…..I will give you guys cookies and brownies for restoration of WvW….I dunno what else to do….you break WvW when you aren’t even really patching it lol….can we bribe you BEFORE patches so you double check to make sure it’s all good

Dragonbrand

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Newbkakes.4971

Newbkakes.4971

Company who shall remain nameless being typical helpful selves, I guess without WvW there were no GvGs to stand in the middle of????

Hahaha- I think that is a cute answer. There tag is up and they are being friend/funny.

So someone asks a serious question to a rep sporting a tag, he gives a bs answer and that is cute?

I thought it was funny.

Wipin zergs since 2012
Former Too Kitten [BÆST] leader/founder
[TBT] The Black Tides since ’14

in WvW

Posted by: PintSizedViking.3576

PintSizedViking.3576

Please stop breaking WvW, getting a bit tired of WvW being broken every time the PvE scrubs get a patch, its just not on.

in WvW

Posted by: Teikoku.2068

Teikoku.2068

does this mean everything will be back to paper status? Keeps,etc..?

in WvW

Posted by: PintSizedViking.3576

PintSizedViking.3576

It better not……

in WvW

Posted by: allstarpro.4610

allstarpro.4610

Yes everything but the score will be like a reset from what I understand.

Sovereign Union leader

in WvW

Posted by: Yggdrasil.7940

Yggdrasil.7940

“Trinity ? Nahhh we need to go deeper "
“Being dead preventing you from skilling ? That’s so 2011 !”

And now A.net proudly present it’s new strategy :

“Testing patches before release ? Everybody else does that, too mainstream for us”

Imagine than this update was to open WvW league system : no point in trolling A.net, they’re doing themselves really better than anyone.

Thief/Elementalist – Vizunah Square
What I mean by L2P

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: mac.9276

mac.9276

I don’t understand. Anet rollout a change, it fails, OK, no problem, refer to the change control plan and find out what the rollback is. That’s noddy stuff. So where is the rollback plan? Why is a botched patch still in place, who’s letting a load of techies keep a botched patch in place while they try to fix it live?

in WvW

Posted by: Riava.7985

Riava.7985

4 Hours ago you posted that you would update us as soon as you knew something…. In 4 hours have we learned something? Are you all having a WvW tourney for employess!!! XD

in WvW

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

Seriously, I’m with Riava. Can we get an update, please?

in WvW

Gamadorn.2670

WTB ANET UPDATE?!!?!

Who sat on the server internetz cable?!?!

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Rewards were again increased greatly. Borderland bloodlust was added, and in today’s update again rewards have been increased as well as both incentives to play and to do well. And then seasons starting in a couple of weeks with new rewards and incentives.

Some rewards have actually been decreased now via some sort of stealth change (badges) that has never once been addressed by the devs. It wasn’t in the patch notes and they never replied to the thread on it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Insane Pancakez.9182

Insane Pancakez.9182

Don’t worry guys! We can all Spvp now!!!

Rollbacks aren’t possible, they might interfere with a very important Spvp team’s practice match!

(edited by Insane Pancakez.9182)

in WvW

Posted by: Adula.3698

Adula.3698

Aight, Which Anet person poured coffee all over their keyboard this time?

in WvW

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Next

Hi everyone,

We’ll be deploying a new build that fixes a few bugs and issues, including those that required us to suspend the WvW matches. The build will be live at around 7 PM Pacific Time (4 AM CEST). WvW matches will not be reactivated when the build is live, as we’ll be performing further work to ensure that the WvW fix is holding. We’re expecting this work to last about one hour but it may take longer. Once this work is completed, the WvW matchups that started last Friday will continue with the correct score. All objectives will be reset to their starting state and all siege weapons that were deployed will be gone.

Thank you for your continued patience.

in WvW

Posted by: allstarpro.4610

allstarpro.4610

Thank you for the update and time frame.

Sovereign Union leader

in WvW

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

Are we going to be refunded our gold that was put into all the upgrades and siege?

in WvW

Posted by: Moh Jay.7240

Moh Jay.7240

I think this will sum up Anet’s response to this pretty well:

Fort Aspenwood – Worst guardian in Guild Wars
Unreal Aussies [uA]
Embrace the Enemy [Corp]

in WvW

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

We’re closing this thread, as the thread has gone off topic. You can follow the status updates here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/WvW-Matches-Temporarily-Suspended