WvW ranking/score affects PVE loot drops

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

This came from another thread, (thank you) but thought it might be interesting to chew on, since the bulk of complaints on the forum are about rewards in WvW and lack of population.

I’m not fussed about rewards, simply because I fear the giant pve k-train and reduction of a strategic game into something very base.

And I’m not overly fussed playing outmanned, or getting nightcapped, or whatever — I think after year one or two, most people who play WvW don’t do it for the score.

But what happens if your server’s score affects your rate of loot drop everywhere in game? I know pve is megaserver, but each player is still attached to a single server because of WvW.

What happens if the better your team does, the more chance of rare loot drops. So in effect, high ppt, means you have chances to get ascended gear on the pve mob bosses (as well as inside wvw). It’s like a lever that pushes up the magic chance (I guess is the best way to quantify).

Upsides:

• Gives pve types a reason to come into WvW
  • Helps with population imbalances, when people are invested in getting a return for their efforts game-wide
  • More people learn about strategy in WvW — it’s not just about flipping towers; it’s about maintaining and defending them
  • Encourages people to actually fight to win their matches and keep on top week-long.

Cons:

• Map in peril of becoming big gigantic pve-champ train (but if you explain that if you leave the tower undefended, your loot magic fluctuates).
  • Encourages stacking to top servers only. (This needs to be puzzled out: Do you get top magic bonus for winning your tier?, does it increase significantly as you go up tiers? Or just 1, 2 and 3 spot variables PER tier?)

There are probably a lot of other flaws in the ointment, but I thought this might be an interesting way to engage players and wanted to discuss it.

Thoughts?

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: clone wars.9568

clone wars.9568

OK, stop and think. If loot drops were linked to wvw score, what do you think would happen? Everyone will move over to the winning server(s) and create even more unbalance than ever before. It would also unfairly punish people that don’t play or like wvw. Very bad idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

It would definitely have to be on a per tier basis. Winner of Tier 8 gets the same bonus as winner of Tier 1.

Of course I can see it now. “Ok guys, XYZ PvE Champ comes up in an hour. We need people to go into WvW and get some points.”

Which actually might not be that bad. It incentivizes people to go into WvW and fight. And since all servers will need to do it, you may have lots of people going in at certain times. (Although I admit I don’t know how PvE boss appearances work).

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Encouraging people to farm one gamemode, so they can get more from farming another gamemode…ehhhh I’d rather not. But I do understand your point.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

This idea makes me pretty nervous, but it may be good nonetheless. I’d tie it to overall score, though not PPT—that way, people don’t rush out of the game mode as soon as they get a high tick. Also, having it take effect only after the end of the match (for the following week) would make it less volatile.

The biggest flaw that I can see is that the people working for the reward are going to be in WvW too much to actually benefit from it.

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I thought this was already in the game. Better WvW score = better PvE rewards:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

I thought Power of the Mists only applied while on a WvW map. Clearly, the wiki says otherwise, but I wonder why I’ve been so consistently told as much.

At any rate, I don’t think it’s very visible at all to the average player…no incentive system is effective if it goes unnoticed.

in WvW

FogLeg.9354

At any rate, I don’t think it’s very visible at all to the average player…no incentive system is effective if it goes unnoticed.

I agree.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I thought this was already in the game. Better WvW score = better PvE rewards:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Mists

You’ll note none of those stats have anything to do with loot drops though. Maybe the scavenger thing, but it’s not what I’m suggesting at all.

This should be something that’s universally known — and as for those who would jump into WvW and jump out when the ppt is highest, then that lacks understanding of WvW (something to learn!), in how the score fluctuates.

Generalizing it too much, say a week-end reward, already exists in the form of chests etc. And it only incentivizes people to make one big push if really needed.

A constant flux of magic benefits game-wide means a constant need for bodies on WvW maps to make sure your server stays on top. It ties the pve crowd IN with the wvw crowd — instead of this incessant us vs them mentality that’s existed since, well, forever. It becomes a team effort.

And then players MUST see very real results of those efforts: Not blues or greens or yellows. But exotics and ascended if you are at top of score — which means Team A could have top ppt for 2 hours a day (and during that time pve AND wvw gets this magic bonus), but then Team B comes in and takes that top ppt score away from Team A and they start getting the rare loot bonuses, etc ..

It makes it more competitive. And it ties in the pve crowd. And it forces people to learn the strategy of WvW because you can’t just flip a tower and leave it — you have to learn how to think ahead/plan/execute.

The biggest flaw that I can see is that the people working for the reward are going to be in WvW too much to actually benefit from it.

The loot bonuses are server-wide .. meaning in pve-land AND in wvw maps.

in WvW

FogLeg.9354

Do you have to participate in WvW to gain that loot bonus? Or it affects anyone in your server everywhere no matter if they ever contribute anything to the WvW score?

How would players notice the higher chance for rare loot when the rare loot is, well, rare? You could get some rare loot simply because you got lucky, and another player could apply all the possible bonuses every day for 3 years and still get nothing.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

You know those banners that appear each time a tower is taken? Similar thing appears server-wide. And no, you don’t need to participate in WVW to get the bonus.

But if you get a banner announcement saying you lost the bonus, wouldn’t you be more inclined to participate?

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Remember the BOOM when you leveled up? Isn’t in game anymore. I said it should stay when the discussion came to it a few months ago but I’m actually glad its gone.
(Yes, I’m still on topic)
When I was a PvE ranger and noticed that my HP would fluctuate a buddy explained to me that it’s because of wvw and reset. I thought that was very stupid (my server back then was called very bad and I didn’t believe they could do anything anyway AND MY HEALTH WAS IN THEIR HANDS!!) – I actually think that getting rid of all these boons and buffs tied to wvw would be better for the game in general.

I think something like a weekly dailies would be my choice when it comes to better rewards and getting PvE players into wvw. As if it’s done like that they have to become useful to get their rewards.

And actually they have map bonus rewards in PvE – you get T3? to T6 maps for each event you did, no idea if you know that. This was done for a few weeks then people were fed up and just do the usual stuff in Orr. Same might happen to “play wvw to get better loot in pve” people can either spend their time in wvw or pve and I guess pve players rather play pve.

in WvW

FogLeg.9354

I don’t think anyone should be rewarded for not doing anything. Even the current WvW score bonuses should be reworked so only top contributors (lets say 50-100) from each server gain any bonuses. It would help players in smaller servers to gather gold/xp faster and mean less people want to transfer into large winning server to reap the benefits.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I think you’re making it too complicated. Simple is better to get people interested.

Those who get used to having those bonuses, will most certainly notice them when they’re gone and will be more inclined to participate to maintain it.

It shouldn’t be based on contribution. This is just a lure to get people into WvW and make it more immersive between pve-land and WvW.

in WvW

FogLeg.9354

Yes but if YOU do not have to go to WvW to increase the bonus, it would be easier to wait someone else do it. People in general are lazy and do not do stuff they do not like unless they have to.

in WvW

Jana.6831

I think you’re making it too complicated. Simple is better to get people interested.

Those who get used to having those bonuses, will most certainly notice them when they’re gone and will be more inclined to participate to maintain it.

It shouldn’t be based on contribution. This is just a lure to get people into WvW and make it more immersive between pve-land and WvW.

We already have buffs and some of them aren’t too bad – and no one cares about them.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

I have heard, that this used to be the case before mega-server, where WvW affected PvE. I can honestly say, I would not want them mixed, I mean can you imagine how upset WvW players would be, if let say, The PvE players failed to kill to Shatter, and thus we take a negative for that?

I don’t feel mixing the two is a good idea. I would much rather see more WvW stuff being given to WvW players, to make WvW profitable and fun.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

in WvW

Jana.6831

I have heard, that this used to be the case before mega-server, where WvW affected PvE. I can honestly say, I would not want them mixed, I mean can you imagine how upset WvW players would be, if let say, The PvE players failed to kill to Shatter, and thus we take a negative for that?

I don’t feel mixing the two is a good idea. I would much rather see more WvW stuff being given to WvW players, to make WvW profitable and fun.

It still affects you, at least Robust you can see. You could ask a buddy on another server which is doing significantly better or worse if he’s got “the same” health increase like you. I bet the buffs still depends on the server you signed up for, no matter whether or not you’re on a megaserver pve map.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I think that’s a fair point in a peanut butter in my chocolate way.

It’s why I started the thread; to generate conversation and look for flaws.

in WvW

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Personally, I don’t think linking the two together is a good idea. I like to WvW once in a while, but am not gungho for it.

I also like to travel the world of Tyria and explore, but would really hate it if I was involved in a zone-wide event that is timed (like Dragon Stand) to be affected by what’s going on in WvW.

From everything I’ve read, not sure how its going to shake out ….so I am waiting to see what happens with the April patch.

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

Exactly.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!