WvW tied to guild?

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

As an outsider of WvW, I’m really excited for the new borderlands and I’d love to get more involved in WvW…however a severe setback is that it’s really tough to play WvW with my guild. We’ve stopped requiring people to transfer and as a result very rarely get into it since so many members would be left out.

Why on earth can’t WvW restrictions be more tied to a guild rather than requiring $20 just to play with them? Surely Anet see’s how crippling this is to a massive aspect of their game. I can’t really be bothered to get into it, but if they opened this up to link it closer to guilds (add some multi-week cooldowns to “rep” your guilds world, and make it expensive or otherwise limiting for guilds themselves to re-associate themselves with another world), and I know that immediately we’d have a huge population of players willing to start getting involved with WvW.

Because the current structure just is not attractive. The hefty cost means it’s really difficult to make that a requirement of the guild if its PvX, and consequently there is far less interest in the gameplay as a whole. Please remedy Anet, I have a feeling this would be a ways off but I’d love to experience the new battlegrounds with my friends.

[EG] is recruiting!

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

While it’s fun to play with a guild and coordinate, you don’t need one to make a meaningful contribution to WvW.

If WvW was tied to guilds only, it would leave a lot of people out of the equation. Not everyone fits into that square box of guild life. Schrodinger’s cat is an example

As a pvx guild, it makes sense to have you all on one server, given pve is all megaserver now and not tied to one server.

It’s not impossible to transfer and get all your guildies together on one server. It takes about a day of grinding gold in Silverwastes to get enough gems to transfer — without spending a dime of real money. So there are options, you just can’t be lazy about it. Or you can cough up the $20 and have it easy. Your choice. Most games don’t even give you that option.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

So you want to change the way WvW works just because you’re in a pvx guild? That sounds reasonable.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mega Skeleton.8259

Yes, because of how isolated it is as a game type. They integrated PvP much better with the game world and it is much better for it (aside from being forced to wait in queue in HOTM), my guild is mostly disinterested in running many WvW events because 100s of members cannot participate without a substantial investment. And it’s a self-feeding cycle, less events means less people willing to make that investment and vice versa. If we could all participate in WvW without having to require 100-200 gold to do so, I can assure you we would definitely start more WvW events.

Considering the game is called “Guild Wars” I think it’s reasonable to encourage larger scale activities between guilds, and the current system discourages that. The only place worlds are relevant is WvW.

[EG] is recruiting!

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

So go to silverwastes and spend one whopping day farming the gold.

Merge onto one server.

Problem solved.

It’s not like you don’t have options. The game is flexible enough for you to do this without spending a dime.

Asking anet to change things to accomodate you and your guild is just lazy. Sorry.

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mega Skeleton.8259

What do you have against the idea? I sincerely believe it would bring guilds together, get a lot more bodies in WvW, and allow more people to experience more content they otherwise wouldn’t bother with.

Anet would lose some gems purchases that seems like an arbitrarily priced service, and part of a system that seems like a relic in a post Megaserver world. Hopefully the amount of people finding a whole new facet to the game would offset those potential loss profits.

If I’m just ignorant, let me know, I fail to see how this is detrimental to the game, if there were harsh enough limitations to prevent switching servers often. The only other “drawback” I can forsee is throwing the current balance of world rankings out of whack because of an influx of new talent joining the fights. That seems like a plus overall.

[EG] is recruiting!

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

What do you have against the idea?

The fact that is punishes players in small guild or no guilds. I am against supporting ideas that punish others in such a manner, simply to make someone else’s quality of life a little easier for them.

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mega Skeleton.8259

I’m not sure how it would punish smaller guilds? I’m not saying the idea is fully formed but I do think the current system feels very dated both in and out of the game. I understand the point of imposing a barrier of preventing players from changing to any server they want on a whim and spying or whatever, to preserve the integrity of the worlds, but the system currently seems like it has an arbitrary barrier, one that hurts WvW participation as a whole. I’ve paid the 20 dollars and been burnt in the past just to see a server totally fall apart shortly after, ankitten ot eager to try it again.

I’m legitimately surprised if you guys don’t think that the current system is discouraging to new WvW players. It certainly is for me. If you do think it could be better, how would you fix it?

[EG] is recruiting!

(edited by Mega Skeleton.8259)

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

What’s bothering me most is that you seem unwilling to do for yourself, and instead want things handed to you. That won’t translate well in WVW, regardless of the “influx of new talent.”

The existing system is fine as it is. There should be a “cost” to transfer, so it’s not abused.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

The fact that guilds recruit over multiple servers then want to WvW with one another and can’t wvw with everyone, is the same as it has been since Beta’s. It’s not new, and it’s nothing Anet should have to be responsible to fix cost wise for your guilds. (Nor should they change WvW to appease players who have not or did not think about wvw mechanics.)

Maybe instead Anet can clearly state at 1st time log in “Your Server Choice Determines the Server for WvW you will be on”

And then guilds can stick to recruiting from their “server” and not cross servers for wvw participation.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

This is not a good idea. This would throw the new population calculations in to trash bin. Server transfers would mean nothing from here on. Everyone could play in T1 if they wanted, they could just find a guild in there and ask them recruit and there we go.

WvW is already really unstable place and we don’t want it to be even more unstable than it already is. The matches would be even more one sided as people would be joining the flavour of the month servers all the time to get easy life in WvW (not everyone of course, I know some of you WvW’ers are decent folk).

And overall servers would mean nothing after this change.

Your guild should have thought the possibility of WvW when you started your PvX guild and recruited everyone from everywhere into your guild. As harsh as it sounds, live with your choices or do something about it.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

There are 3 options regarding transfer. Pick which one suits you and your guild mates better:

• Pay for the gems to transfer
  • Use in-game gold to exchange to gems
  • Delete all characters and transfer for free

Anet was very malleable to give out those options instead of simply requiring to pay with money for transfers.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The fact that guilds recruit over multiple servers then want to WvW with one another and can’t wvw with everyone, is the same as it has been since Beta’s.

Uh, no. Before the megaservers existed, guilds recruited people on their own server. WvW wasnt a problem then. Now, I see tons of guilds recruiting in PvE without even saying the server they are on. New players will see this long before they join WvW and think its normal… only to find out they are on another server.

Also, the OP is a horrible idea. It wouldnt work. Everyone playing on 5 different WvW servers at any time? Yeah… no. If you want a server to win, just have those 500 that repped Deso last week rep SFR this week. GG.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mishi.7058

The fact that guilds recruit over multiple servers then want to WvW with one another and can’t wvw with everyone, is the same as it has been since Beta’s.

Uh, no. Before the megaservers existed, guilds recruited people on their own server. WvW wasnt a problem then. Now, I see tons of guilds recruiting in PvE without even saying the server they are on. New players will see this long before they join WvW and think its normal… only to find out they are on another server.

Also, the OP is a horrible idea. It wouldnt work. Everyone playing on 5 different WvW servers at any time? Yeah… no. If you want a server to win, just have those 500 that repped Deso last week rep SFR this week. GG.

Most WvW guilds only recruit from the server they are based off of, since beta. In addition to that most guilds into PvX, only recruited for the server they were on for WvW, due to WvW being limited to a players server. (Many PvX guilds knew this prior to mega servers, though it seems not all did.)

What you quoted has never changed. Guilds which were cross servers have never been able to wvw together. As wvw has always been server based. (Which is something many over look.) I guess I didn’t word it very clearly in the original post. sorry :/

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mega Skeleton.8259

The design of WvW is at odds with the design of the rest of the game. I want to enjoy this content, particularly the new borderlands in HOT , and it currently has more arbitrarily chosen barriers than the other 2 main facets of the game. I’m happy to accept some costly cooldowns (several months to a year), and limitations, on either/both the guild and the players.

Like you guys have said, there are several options already to joining WvW, and if it didn’t compromise the integrity of the servers (initially, any major changes might result in some turmoil), what’s wrong with adding another method? I think it could be good for getting more players involved in WvW.

Yes, our guild could change our policy and encourage/force everyone to farm gold to start participating in WvW events, but I think that’s against the spirit of the game, and of our guild goals. My point is this limitation seems at odds with the design of the game otherwise, and for no good reason.

Compare that to PvP, which according to Colin, is now seeing more activity than in the history of the franchise. There are likely several factors, but for me personally, adding a decent reward structure helped my motivation immensely. It’s not exactly the same situation, but the rewards here would be playing with people I have fun with. In PvP that was never something I had to think about. It was always an option.

[EG] is recruiting!

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mega Skeleton.8259

If you guys think it would result in tier 1 servers getting flooded, than there could be a restriction on guilds aligning there. It could even be used as a mechanism to reinvigorate bottom tier servers.

[EG] is recruiting!

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

There’s a reason you’re given 5 guild slots. There’s no reason not to find an active WvW guild on your server to participate in WvW if that’s what you’re interested in.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

How about this for a solution: decide what server your guild is going to wvw on, then make sure everyone is transferred on it by paying for those not already on it to transfer.

It’s not that hard- pretty sure there must be some players in your guild with 1000’s of gold that they can give to poorer members, plus as others have said organise a few guild trips into SW for a few days and you should all be ready to go.

If the guild can’t organise that, then it wouldn’t be much use in wvw as a guild anyway.

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

If you have a guild that has people scattered across servers they weren’t interested in WvW’ing together to begin with.

You can have many guilds so you can find one that is interested in WvW’ing together. Every server has dedicated WvW guilds.

It’s a tiny fraction of the population that is in your shoes, I think, and I wouldn’t want to change the system around for that.

Gate of Madness

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Wait, why does anyone need a 100g to WvW?

Grab supply. Build when told. Hope your zerg is bigger than theirs.

Sounds affordable to me.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

As an outsider of WvW, I’m really excited for the new borderlands and I’d love to get more involved in WvW…however a severe setback is that it’s really tough to play WvW with my guild. We’ve stopped requiring people to transfer and as a result very rarely get into it since so many members would be left out.

Why on earth can’t WvW restrictions be more tied to a guild rather than requiring $20 just to play with them? Surely Anet see’s how crippling this is to a massive aspect of their game. I can’t really be bothered to get into it, but if they opened this up to link it closer to guilds (add some multi-week cooldowns to “rep” your guilds world, and make it expensive or otherwise limiting for guilds themselves to re-associate themselves with another world), and I know that immediately we’d have a huge population of players willing to start getting involved with WvW.

Because the current structure just is not attractive. The hefty cost means it’s really difficult to make that a requirement of the guild if its PvX, and consequently there is far less interest in the gameplay as a whole. Please remedy Anet, I have a feeling this would be a ways off but I’d love to experience the new battlegrounds with my friends.

Hi

As posted by others, you do not need to be in a WvW guild to fully enjoy WvW. Many guilds often run public raids, you need to get on your servers voice comms, either TS, Mumble, or whatever else they use, and start from there.

I see people from my old guild fighting aside me, while fighting against them at the same time x2 during a 3 way because its a large PVX guild and its actually a lot of fun, ran into a guy i used to play with a lot and we had some good duels etc.

Only thing you will be missing is possibly the whole “guild buffs” portion, which can add to be a lot with guild halls coming up. I don’t really have an answer for that one.

Also, if it turns out you are on a dead server for your timezone, you get on voice comms and there is no one there or hardly anyone there consistantly, then I am sorry, but do transfer off. Dead server is a dead server and a depressing place to be stuck on. Don’t do it to yourself.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

mega server was introduced in the later part of the game
thus, honestly speaking, is either your guild is in a dying server with very little ppl to recruit from or ur guild was formed after the mega server implementation. most likely a dying server?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Perhaps think about it before joining a multi-server guild?

This whole idea of making WvW into a megaserver themed warzone just doesn’t work well. See EotM for an example of what megaserver WvW would look like.

It’s the same as the alliance system some people keep bringing up over and over again. It just won’t work well.

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Sounds affordable to me.

Lol, that’s like saying why does the US Army need any money? They already got their tanks and planes and ships, they can just grab their weapons and go to war when told.

If that sounds affordable to you, that’s you being a textbook leecher.

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mishi.7058

Sounds affordable to me.

It may be affordable to “you” however many commanders, and players who lay the siege everyone uses don’t find it nearly as “affordable”. You would be very surprised how quickly the gold cost stacks up when commanding, or even placing siege to defend with.

Commander Silvannas

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The entire server concept is prior generation thinking that wasn’t even in GW. The fact they pulled it out of PvE is proof of what a colossally bad idea it is. EotM nor sPvP adheres to this architecture.

As has been discussed in dozens of former threads, a Guild Alliance system would be vastly superior to the existing server system. Each match guilds would be grouped together with preference towards their alliances and they would face two other such groups with the selection engine having some preference to guild alliances that are at war with each other. Unaligned players/guilds (mercenaries) would fill in on matches to help achieve a better balance.

Each reset the system would shuffle the matchups around. The same system would weigh typical guild play hours into its matching system so as to create a better (not perfect) off hour presence in each matchup.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

The entire server concept is prior generation thinking that wasn’t even in GW. The fact they pulled it out of PvE is proof of what a colossally bad idea it is. EotM nor sPvP adheres to this architecture.

As has been discussed in dozens of former threads, a Guild Alliance system would be vastly superior to the existing server system. Each match guilds would be grouped together with preference towards their alliances and they would face two other such groups with the selection engine having some preference to guild alliances that are at war with each other. Unaligned players/guilds (mercenaries) would fill in on matches to help achieve a better balance.

Each reset the system would shuffle the matchups around. The same system would weigh typical guild play hours into its matching system so as to create a better (not perfect) off hour presence in each matchup.

Guild allaince system would be too exclusive of PUG players. The nice thing about the current system is that you zone into a map, hop on your servers voice comms and go at it. if you are experienced WvW player with several toons / builds ready to go, then guild or no guild of your own does not affect or undermine your contribution to even the skilled group fights.

Excluding players because they are not part of a guild alliance is just bad, yes you can join one, but again, what about all the people that just hop on and off for a little while ? there is a ton of them, you can see that today at reset times for example vs further down on weekdays. That difference is roughly the amount of people the alliance system would exclude.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Agree with tongku – pugs seem afterthought in this system.

The other issue – if you aren’t fighting with the same people for some greater goal of the group at large, what are you even fighting for? It seems that the “just for the fights” people bore more quickly when they realize there is no greater purpose and the fights are essentially the same thing over and over……

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Stop with that first paragraph. EotM! Yeah EotM is a terrible WvW experience, and anything that points to that as an example to change server-based WvW is a nonstarter. EotM is simply put a leveling and farming map. Any actual fighting that happens there is pure coincidence.

Player-based decisions about WvW have been shown to be knee jerk reactions to gain advantage. See the mass transfers into the top tier or two when free xfers ended. See the continuing push for guilds and players to move as high as they are able to move since. What an alliance system would put the playerbase through is simple. You get a majority of matches where one alliance absolutely crushes the other two. So one strong “Alliance”, one weaker “Alliance”, and one group mainly composed of PuGs.

Sounds fun doesn’kitten

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Agree with tongku – pugs seem afterthought in this system.

The other issue – if you aren’t fighting with the same people for some greater goal of the group at large, what are you even fighting for? It seems that the “just for the fights” people bore more quickly when they realize there is no greater purpose and the fights are essentially the same thing over and over……

Funny you should say that, in the original GW launched in 2005 players fought other players there for guild pride and bragging rights for far longer than GW2 has been live.

Generally, it’s people who keep people playing MMOs because content runs out fast (see the Living Story debacle and Anet changing their original tune of “no expansions”). I’m all for a guild alliance system. Your system will include pugs, they just won’t be catered to like the bulk of this game already does.

Whispers with meat.

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Liston.9708

Wasn’t gw1 gvg more similar to gw2 pvp though, but larger parties? It wasn’t large scale realm versus realm. Maybe that is the real issue – need proper gvg with ladders / tourneys etc separate from wvw…..

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Players who are new to or not very experienced in WvW simply do not grasp what they ask.

So you can identify with what the WvW community is saying, imagine if we (the WvW community) started asking that mega servers be taken away, that they should go back to how it was, this would probably benefit WvW as we could return to recruiting in PvE knowing that the people we get are indeed on our server. Now how many non WvW players would be unhappy with our request ? This is essentially what you are doing OP, you’re asking to change our game mode to cater to you without regard for those of us who have supported the mode from the beginning.

If you want to enjoy WvW that’s great, find a guild on your server and join them or convince your existing guild to transfer. Don’t make requests that benefit you because all of a sudden you want to go slumming and expect the WvW community to give you a thumbs up.

Look at EotM, it’s an abomination of WvW, I don’t speak for everyone but I think it’s safe to say the majority of WvW players (those of us who WvW 99% of the time) do not want anything like EotM to be integrated into the real WvW.

I’d be happier if they reverted back to the old PvE system and just got rid of Mega Servers tbh.

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Liston.9708

Dedicated world/server chat would address old la call to arms….. As would dedicated home world cities la, dr, rata sum, etc….

I don’t care for mega server either, but many like for open world……

WvW tied to guild?

in WvW

Mishi.7058

Players who are new to or not very experienced in WvW simply do not grasp what they ask.

So you can identify with what the WvW community is saying, imagine if we (the WvW community) started asking that mega servers be taken away, that they should go back to how it was, this would probably benefit WvW as we could return to recruiting in PvE knowing that the people we get are indeed on our server. Now how many non WvW players would be unhappy with our request ? This is essentially what you are doing OP, you’re asking to change our game mode to cater to you without regard for those of us who have supported the mode from the beginning.

If you want to enjoy WvW that’s great, find a guild on your server and join them or convince your existing guild to transfer. Don’t make requests that benefit you because all of a sudden you want to go slumming and expect the WvW community to give you a thumbs up.

Look at EotM, it’s an abomination of WvW, I don’t speak for everyone but I think it’s safe to say the majority of WvW players (those of us who WvW 99% of the time) do not want anything like EotM to be integrated into the real WvW.

I’d be happier if they reverted back to the old PvE system and just got rid of Mega Servers tbh.

You read my mind.

Commander Silvannas