WvW tournament causes guilds to stop playing

in WvW

Posted by: Athakron.6791

Athakron.6791

I have been a member of Dragonbrand for 2years and I am frustrated by the fact that WvW guilds are not playing in an effort to manipulate the tournament tier we will be placed it. Currently It looks like if we keep tanking (score now =95 ppt) we will be in tier 3.

I agree that last year we were in tier2 and it was awful being the ping pong ball getting beat on and users left or gave up within the first week, also the fact that we have had many of our top guilds leave dragonbrand this year. But to not play! Or better yet, guilds expect members not to WvW. ANET you loose customers that way.

It looks like Maguma is doing the same thing.

ANET / People : Is there someway to organize these tournaments without having guilds stop playing?

in WvW

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I don’t see much incentive to not tank. You see it in real life with sports teams intentionally tanking in order to secure a higher draft pick.

in WvW

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The solution is to just lock in the tiers using the rankings as of the WvW announcement. The next few weeks just shouldn’t count.

in WvW

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

The only way to stop it would to be to not announce anything until the tiers are already locked. I am on DB and frankly we did not belong in Gold, and were only there because other servers intentionally tanked their rating. We came in last every single week (maybe took second once, can’t quite remember), we often got spawn camped, and were outmanned for an appalling amount of time. No one had any fun and we lost guilds because of it. Yaks could beat us whether or not we tried to not take 1st, so it doesn’t really matter. If we are conceding the match it is only to put us in a league we can compete in, not get curb stomped week after week again.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

The solution is to just lock in the tiers using the rankings as of the WvW announcement. The next few weeks just shouldn’t count.

Not sufficient as a solution as well, would need an transfer-stop between announcement and end of league additionally.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Not sufficient as a solution as well, would need an transfer-stop between announcement and end of league additionally.

I’m not sure why they don’t do this. All of the WvW tournaments or seasons in this game are manipulated by lazy scum who want to do nothing and get the best stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

The only reasons I am able to imagine (probably I am to negative) are:

• season-transfer earn them a lot gem sales.
  • after all non-transferring are already unhappy with seasons, this would make additionally the so-far transferring ones unhappy.
Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I see a lot of guilds focusing on preparing for the tournament, whether it’s running EotM for wxp and badges, to doing some sPvP for practice, to crafting and gold making, to playing around with different masteries in anticipation of the world ability points reset.

It’s going to be a very intense Tournament since it’s so much shorter than the last one. Very much looking forward to it!

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

If Mag drops into a lower tier matchup before the tourney starts, whichever servers get matched with Mag are going to have their Glicko grossly inflated.

They will have to try very hard to tank that much. Tryhard tank mode.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The only way to stop it would to be to not announce anything until the tiers are already locked. I am on DB and frankly we did not belong in Gold, and were only there because other servers intentionally tanked their rating. We came in last every single week (maybe took second once, can’t quite remember), we often got spawn camped, and were outmanned for an appalling amount of time.

I would like to point out that being top of Silver probably would not have been better in Season 2. HoD was a beast and heavily populated probably more so than the servers you fought. It was not uncommon to see 3 maps queued on that server.

FA got hammered for the first half of the tournament and only saw relief when HoD locked Gold. HoD even sent them to T4 for a week. DB would have been run over either way particularly with a weak NA Prime.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

This season will still sucks for any other server in GOLD besides BG, TC and JQ.

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Seasons suck, period. It’s the same broken game that Anet keeps trying to turn into something competitive and people fall for it. It can’t be competitive because the scoring is bs and even worse it’s kittening boring.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

ANET still made a really bad decision to stay with the whole 6-9-9 in NA. It is just not fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

It’s not just that, none of the current t3 servers have the coverage for t2. With SoS being as stacked as it is your guaranteed to be spawn camped 90% of the time in gold tier. The gap in coverage between t2 and t3 is pretty extensive and any server in t3 that moves up to gold will be spawn camped 90% of the tournament. Whichever server moves up to mags spot risks losing players to xfers and might even be worst off than they were before once season 3 tournament is over.

T3 atm feels like that epsisode of south park where they are on the baseball team and trying to lose, no one really wants to move up and people are taking a break or going easy so that they don’t have to.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

(edited by Aitadis.8269)

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Just to clarify things.

DB got a lot of transfers before season two just because they were going to be Gold. FA lost lots of players to SoS, Mag and DB right before season 2 started.

DB made it to Gold because they were helped the most (glicko) from SoR’s decline. That and the last match before season 2 started DB was matched with T2 servers and FA was matched against T3 servers. Going up in tier guarantees a glicko boost and going down in tiers is a glicko loss.

T2 hasn’t been balanced since well before season 2, back when TC was in T2. The 5th and 6th ranked servers have for some time have lacked the coverage/population of the 4th server.

If failing an event on purpose to get better rewards is frowned upon in PvE, why is it tanking OK in WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Demus.4571

Demus.4571

Mag is not tanking, all of our GvG guilds along with our main pugmanders quit, so everyone is moving on to AA or transferring up to tier 1.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Well AA is PvP game for PvE players.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Rimmy.9217

Rimmy.9217

Are the members of these same guilds also prone to QQing in forums about other servers getting transfers, using siege, 2v1ing and so on?

Guess we have another server we can now generalize that doesn’t play for the fights but instead are just PvErs playing for easy skins.

Terrible how stereotypes like that start, is it not?

Trollnado Ele – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

I cant hear you from T8?

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

There is many methods anet could implement to prevent tanking.

They could simply average the servers ranking from the period between tournaments.
They could assign league rank based on last tournament, swapping the top bronze with bottom silver, and top silver with bottom gold.
They could change the incentives, where rewards for bottom silver is better than top bronze.

Or just change the torunament setup.

in WvW

Posted by: Rimmy.9217

Rimmy.9217

I cant hear you from T8?

Maybe transfer up even farther, then you won’t be able to smell me either. You wouldn’t want to get any of the hoi polloi on you, after all.

Trollnado Ele – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I have been a member of Dragonbrand for 2years and I am frustrated by the fact that WvW guilds are not playing in an effort to manipulate the tournament tier we will be placed it. Currently It looks like if we keep tanking (score now =95 ppt) we will be in tier 3.

I agree that last year we were in tier2 and it was awful being the ping pong ball getting beat on and users left or gave up within the first week, also the fact that we have had many of our top guilds leave dragonbrand this year. But to not play! Or better yet, guilds expect members not to WvW. ANET you loose customers that way.

ANET / People : Is there someway to organize these tournaments without having guilds stop playing?

I’m from Mag and if we did this I am totally disgusted. Frankly, seeing just how bad things are ATM I wouldn’t be surprised that what “look like” tanking is in fact reality. Mag is in a pretty sorry state…

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

The fact is that this is what anet want.

Hey guys, WvW is getting scraps again with this update!
So here’s a really short tournament to keep those of you who are dumb enough, to fall for it busy so you dont realise that you basically got nothing this year either!
Enjoy!

Dying game is almost dead, I think I really will be going back to WoW for a bit.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Tanking does tremendous damage to the server. It’s pretty bad for any community to experiment several weeks of desertification and poor gaming just to “place” your server in a spot where it doesn’t belong and where any win will mean squat.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

When a server loses a bunch of guilds and players to other servers before a match, why on earth is it considered tanking? True tanking is when you still have your guilds and they purposely choose not to play.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Tanking does tremendous damage to the server. It’s pretty bad for any community to experiment several weeks of desertification and poor gaming just to “place” your server in a spot where it doesn’t belong and where any win will mean squat.

I’m not condoning tanking but DB, YB, CD, SBI, DR – none of them belong at #6 to go up against JQ, BG, TC and SoS.

So they actually do belong at #7-#11. The reason they may move up is because Mass Exodus has hit Mag.

And its not like last season where tanking would put you automatically at the top of Silver. All 5 of those servers are competitive. It is actually the best balance I’ve seen ever in WvW and I’ve played since Beta.

in WvW

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Issues with the tournament itself:

Why are servers grouped into Gold/Silver/Bronze again? The rewards are based on 1st/2nd/3rd every week in the particular matchups and have nothing to do with leagues.

4th (and 7th, 10th, etc) place rewards 100% more than 3rd (6th, 9th, etc) place. 5th place rewards 50% more than 3rd. A lot of non-WvWers have no interest in placement, only reward. If you can’t get 1st or 2nd place, of course the optimal course of action is to aim for 4th and 5th.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.