WvW travel times

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

Hello folks!

There has been a lot of talk about new maps being “too big” and/or “too difficult to navigate”. I wanted to ask fellow players this question:

“How long does it take for you to reach these objectives if you start from southeast spawn-area of borderlands”?

1. How long does it take for you to get to Air keep?
2. Fire keep?
3. Earth Keep?

And that leads to second question: What do you think the travel time should be?

And since everybody likes to compare things to how they used to be might as well ask third question: How long did it take to reach corresponding objectives in old borderlands?

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

It takes just a little bit longer to reach any one of the Keeps than it used to.

That’s pretty much how it should be. For a long time, everyone complained that the ability to reach any Keep or Tower on any map within 30 seconds or less was a large part of what encouraged the Zerg-meta to be preferable to all other playstyles.

Unfortunately, people who enjoyed the Zerg-meta are the only ones who continued to play WvW for the past 3 years, so naturally the only people left to comment on the new Borderlands are people who preferred the Alpine Borderlands, so it makes sense that there are tons of complaints. The new maps just came about a year and a half too late; anyone who had a problem with the old Alpine Borderlands has probably moved on by now.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

The answer isn’t simple because attacking/defending/shrines/barricades can all affect your travel times, and also scouts if you are trying to avoid them and be sneaky. The thing that costs people the most time is going the wrong way, and trying to correct it by going a really, really long way around, and running into a barricade or an accidental fall to their death.

In the past, you could say “SE tower,” and people could come there and quickly find you. Now, if you want people to come reinforce your assault on SE tower… you had better indicate which side of the tower you are attacking and which barricades are down (if necessary). It is really annoying for people to come to try and help… and they are still stuck hitting a barricade while you are running into the lords to cap.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

This map is not made to have 1 team cover all 1 map. Focus on your side of the map (around the keep with WP for you). Then you will have less travel time because you have 2 WP for 1/3 of the map…
Don’t play the new map the same way that the old… That is the main issue for most of people…

WvW travel times

in WvW

Coinhead.7591

Any time estimates guys? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 1 hour?

WvW travel times

in WvW

Sich.7103

Run yourself, learn yourself… Play the game yourself….

WvW travel times

in WvW

Coinhead.7591

Run yourself, learn yourself… Play the game yourself….

Oh I am not asking how long it takes for me to get to those places. What I am interested is how long it takes for other players and how long they feel it should take.

In multiple threads I have seen people say it takes “ages” or “too long” to move in this new map, but nobody has actually given any details how much that time is for them and what would they consider acceptable.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Sich.7103

On some topic people give the time to travel, but you have to find it… I don’t remember exactly the post name.
Honnestly, as long as you try to defend only your 1/3 the travel time is not a issue.
The north tower are too far from spawn on my opinion and useless. But except that just play around your WP and the travel time is not that bad. Probably close to what we was used on Alpine BL. But you need to take the shrine buff and the shortcut.

WvW travel times

in WvW

misterdevious.6482

I’ve gotten fairly comfortable getting around the map, and I own a stopwatch.

For me, with 25% movement speed trait and using zero movement skills

• Travelling from the Earth Keep Waypoint to the center of SW camp circle = 2min 23s
  • Travelling from the Earth Keep Waypoint to the center of SE camp circle = 2min 22s
  • Neither route requires shrines. Neither route gets me marked by any sentries. Neither route goes through a barricade. Each route involves passing a total of 1-2 aggressive npc mobs.

These are the routes I use. These are not the most obvious routes and there is no similarity between the SE route and the SW route. I assume most people won’t use these routes unless commanders start using them regularly.

I also know that it takes me 2min 9s to get to from the Earth Keep waypoint to the center of the Fire Keep Lord platform (without using shrines), and it takes about 14 minutes to farm most of the nodes on a map you own (excluding the 3 southern camps).

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Problem is, we no longer have an alpine to compare with, unless someone has timed it in the past. Could compare with EB I suppose, but EB is considerably wider and more square than alpine, we already know desert is an even bigger square than EB.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Algerius.5238

Algerius.5238

Old traveltimes where about 1:10 between garri wp and any of the side keeps Wps, it took about 2:15 minutes to run from spawn to the side keeps (jumping cliffs properly)
and a bit less than a minute to get to Garri wp.

Haven’t checked the new ones, but as it is atm, you should be able to get to your wp keeps in less than 1:30 (Air keep with 3 shrines is significant faster since you can jump down and get directly to inner with the jumpads). By wp i mean the ones you can actually wp to. I dont really think it is worth to keep your home border yours, but to share diferent borders.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

This map is not made to have 1 team cover all 1 map. Focus on your side of the map (around the keep with WP for you). Then you will have less travel time because you have 2 WP for 1/3 of the map…
Don’t play the new map the same way that the old… That is the main issue for most of people…

And you know this how? Anyway, In the face of dwindling populations and some servers only having a small force, you’re seriously going to spout a line like “focus on your side of the map”? Okay!

Whispers with meat.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The distance from citadel to the southern side of fire/air keep is ridiculously long and convoluted (including traversing said keeps). So long that hardly anyone bothers to defend them most of the time. The other problem is the complexity of all the keeps means checking them for an attack requires a significantly longer amount of time. Sprinkle in barricades, cliffs, PvE, etc and the new maps are just annoying to most to traverse.

With Alpine players from citadel or the opposite waypoint could actually defend the side keeps without a WP.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

WvW travel times

in WvW

misterdevious.6482

I think that “throwing supply into the wall to stall” is supposed to be a more viable strategy now, at least for inner keeps. If only help were coming…

• On the new keeps you cannot hit two walls simultaneously with the same cata.
  • The inner keeps are fairly uniform as far as running supply goes… each side has 1 gate and 1 wall and a nearby supply depot.
  • In the inner keeps, the supply is pretty close to the area being attacked (unlike Hills).
  • A well placed shield generator bubble can slow down an omega rush, treb, or cata attack, and can knock people off of rams to slow them down.
  • The keeps are very likely to have supply in them (unlike old keeps that were either 0 from upgrading or needed supply for upgrading).

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

Actually one of the keeps, you can hit an outer and inner wall with the same catapult.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I think that “throwing supply into the wall to stall” is supposed to be a more viable strategy now, at least for inner keeps. If only help were coming…

• On the new keeps you cannot hit two walls simultaneously with the same cata.
  • The inner keeps are fairly uniform as far as running supply goes… each side has 1 gate and 1 wall and a nearby supply depot.
  • In the inner keeps, the supply is pretty close to the area being attacked (unlike Hills).
  • A well placed shield generator bubble can slow down an omega rush, treb, or cata attack, and can knock people off of rams to slow them down.
  • The keeps are very likely to have supply in them (unlike old keeps that were either 0 from upgrading or needed supply for upgrading).

I’m sure it sounded good in theory when they placed the supply depots by the gates.

Unfortunetly they also added so much heavy AoE its impossible to repair doors that are under attack.

Sidenote: And as the above mentioned, you can hit two walls in garri with catas on at least one spot.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

WvW travel times

in WvW

misterdevious.6482

I’m sure it sounded good in theory when they placed the supply depots by the gates.

Unfortunetly they also added so much heavy AoE its impossible to repair doors that are under attack.

Sidenote: And as the above mentioned, you can hit two walls in garri with catas on at least one spot.

With the new shield generator, you can block projectiles at the gate and pulse stability, which makes repairing the gates a bit safer. One person operating a shield generator can also make it less suicidal for a person to man defensive siege. A Ventari revenant with a shield generator can basically keep an anti-projectile barrier around a cannon forever… which can be a real deterrent to a small group.

(edited by misterdevious.6482)

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

With the new shield generator, you can block projectiles at the gate and pulse stability, which makes repairing the gates a bit safer.

Problem is the shield blocks projectiles hitting it but not splash damage. Just shoot the cata/treb projectile short and full damage lands even with the wall in a full bubble.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I’ve gotten fairly comfortable getting around the map, and I own a stopwatch.

For me, with 25% movement speed trait and using zero movement skills

• Travelling from the Earth Keep Waypoint to the center of SW camp circle = 2min 23s
  • Travelling from the Earth Keep Waypoint to the center of SE camp circle = 2min 22s
  • Neither route requires shrines. Neither route gets me marked by any sentries. Neither route goes through a barricade. Each route involves passing a total of 1-2 aggressive npc mobs.

These are the routes I use. These are not the most obvious routes and there is no similarity between the SE route and the SW route. I assume most people won’t use these routes unless commanders start using them regularly.

I also know that it takes me 2min 9s to get to from the Earth Keep waypoint to the center of the Fire Keep Lord platform (without using shrines), and it takes about 14 minutes to farm most of the nodes on a map you own (excluding the 3 southern camps).

This is an insightful post, I’ll look for these routes; Thank you.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: CHAO.7956

CHAO.7956

The barricades just need to go they just take too kitten long to get through and discourage people from even exploring the maps. I am attacking a barricade while I am typing this post, I knew I was going to have a lot of time so I came to the forums to complain.

-General Michael

WvW travel times

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

The barricades just need to go they just take too kitten long to get through and discourage people from even exploring the maps. I am attacking a barricade while I am typing this post, I knew I was going to have a lot of time so I came to the forums to complain.

Havent you heard?

Anet increased cata damage vs barricades.

Zergs can punch through it in 2 seconds sure, but 1 player can build a cata!

This solves everything.

WvW travel times

in WvW

Posted by: damnwidget.9301

damnwidget.9301

Havent you heard?

Anet increased cata damage vs barricades.

Zergs can punch through it in 2 seconds sure, but 1 player can build a cata!

This solves everything.

With which supplies? If a single player aims to build a cata need to put 50 for basic and 60 for superior, taking into account that can carry 15 max that means between 4 and 7 trips to the nearest camp… so no, that doesn’t solves anything in fact is faster if the player just hit the barricade until it fells down…

EDIT: I just noticed that probably your post was sarcastic

[SoW] Sông Of War – Baruch Bay

(edited by damnwidget.9301)