WvWvW Algorhythms, Any Reasoning for Change?

in WvW

Posted by: FxDelusional.8624

FxDelusional.8624

So I have been reading a ton of post on this new, in effect for two weeks, World WvWvW match ups. I have read a bit of posting by DC. It seems that all we are getting is a “Well it’s only 2 weeks old, give it time….” or “Well EU is using it and look at their results…” or “There will be a few blowouts…” but really nothing on “Yeah, the results the team is seeing is beyond what we anticipated. We really need to take a look at this and crunch the numbers.” Now why have we not seen that last comment? Let me point out some numbers, that ANYONE can see, more so the dev. team.

First lets not look at Tiers, lets just crunch numbers and look at rankings? Simple numbers here, without the tier borders. Written at 1pm PST

*Score Blowout Differential 25k+ Over Few Day Time Period
(2.) Blackgate 77,519
3. Jade Quarry 54,937
5. Dragonbend 30,652 *

(1.) Sanctum of Rail 86,524
4. Tarnished Coast 40,645 *
7. Sea of Sorrows 33,455 *

(6.) Fort Aspenwood 89,634
8. Maguma 38,491 *
13. Ehmry Bay 33,208 *

So far in the top three matches, we have severe blowouts. This is not a few, this is not some sort of randomness, this is pure imbalance. In a few days since WvWvW rest, and new matches were formed, the top ranked teams are blowing out those that are ranked a distance from them. “Oh but not everyone is having this issue….” TRUE! Look at this match up!

(9.) Kaineng 55,843
10. Yaks Bend 54,711
11. Crystal Desert 52,413

Wait a minute………that makes no sense at all. 9, 10, 11 all get to face each other, and look at the scores. A great match up, a balance in rankings, and no severe blow out.

First there were tiers, now there is some other calculation. We keep reading from Devs that the numbers might be tightened up in a few weeks to bring the matches closer to each other. Whats the wait? The numbers have been there since last year. HoD was number 1 for a while with UA on the server. Then they left and other Servers moved up. Kaineng was last, and they moved up, are we not looking at the numbers? How is the new system doing a thing to balance the match ups?

Yes lots of people complained about seeing the same teams in the same “Tiers”. What those people did not see was simple, the teams in the Tiers deserved their place in the Tiers. Tier 1 was the top 3 rated Servers. If you wanted to be in Tier one, and your server was Ranked 4 (Then you were in tier 2), you needed to win, post numbers, and do better then the 3rd ranked team in Tier 1. What was the flaw in this system? It made sense. The best played against the best, and the great had a chance to become the best. Not, the best get to trample over the okay, and the okay just kind of sits back and watches their numbers go stale.

Instead of trying to figure out new numbers for match ups, the focus should be a better job at balancing server match ups. It was not an issue so much before, it is a bigger issue now. You know it’s bad when you have those “Steamroller” servers apologizing to those servers that are not at the same level as they are. Read the threads. I cannot say it enough, do not take my word for it, read the threads, the comments, the “Wow you got a bad roll of the dice…” etc.

I’m all for game enhancement, but I really think this is bad idea the way it is. There should have been much tighter numbers constraints then what we presently have. Many of us do not see a need to wait weeks, months, etc for a fix. This can clearly be seen in the numbers that is provided currently. These are not made up numbers, these are from ANET. There are enough post to go on for days about this, I was just hoping to get something a little more then the above mentioned comments.

The gaming community would just like some updated info, and not generic answers about the state of the match making. Surely there is a need for a fix, surely there is more info about the state of the current situation that can be provided to us.

(Tiers, Rankings, Etc are to be taken in the context provided here. Some may understand them in other meanings, but the way I have presented them here, are a way, many, but not all understand the system.)

in WvW

Posted by: meep.2601

meep.2601

anet has gone above and beyond in ruining their own game, i’m proud of them

in WvW

Posted by: whiskyjack.7962

whiskyjack.7962

while i understand their reasoning for the changes (current rankings incorrect, flawed tier system), i think they should have reduced the matches to 3 days instead of weekly.

reason being that they’re obviously trying to get new rankings to determine how much to reduce the RNG in the new method, but it may take a few months for this to happen at this rate.

unfortunately, seeing how long it took to simply setup different reset times for NA vs EU, i’m guessing it’s not worth the resources to change the match duration. we’re just going to have to suck it up until they figure they’ve gathered enough information to make a decision.

in WvW

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

You think those numbers look bad? Look at our match up “Borlis pass” we got a 64k advantage…

in WvW

Posted by: FKwrong.9104

FKwrong.9104

Agreed. This new system is an absolute trash.
Most of the current brackets have a server that has over 50% of all points, meaning distribution is close to 50/25/25. (Or has a server that has ~3 times less points than the leading one).
They may post as much bs as they want about how good this system is or might be, but my server that had nearly 24h coverage and fun wvw has now “undermanned” buff most of the day, it’s been like that for the past 2 weeks, even home bl is virtually empty.

Why not just get rid of their crappy ranking points system and go with brackets? Easy and simple. Servers that finish 1st. go one tier up and take the 3rd place there. Servers that finish 3rd, go one tier down and take the 1st place there. That way every server will have new opponents every week, except the last and the first tiers, where they will only have 1 new server each week.

For now anet, play your kitten wvw yourselves, taking a long break from your broken game just like many others.
RNG in a ranking system… Pour some milk in your beer and try it.