Your Ideal Borderland map

in WvW

Posted by: Djosdk.4612

Djosdk.4612

Hello everyone!

I’ve seen a lot of negative feedback regarding the new borderlands. Although the devs are not responding too the complaints, I really do think that the wvw-team is brainstorming very hard to come up with solutions.

However, as a game-dev student, I also know how hard it is to please your audience. Especially when you only get feedback like: “I don’t like this mechanic”, or “I think this new map sucks”. Even when the opinions are well argumented, negative feedback shows the developer only what you don’t want.

And it should be other way around! The question should be: What do you want?

What would your ideal borderlands be? Describe mechanics, themes, size of the border, the sort of fights, anything that you want from a borderlands map.

No, it doesn’t have to be on the current borderlands. I actually would prefer if you would describe something totally new.

And again, give positive feedback! don’t just state what you don’t want, be state what you do want!

That is what the devs need. They need feedback on what they should do, not what they shouldn’t do.

And even when they don’t listen to us… Isn’t it way more fun to describe what we want instead of constantly hating on what we don’t want…?

Grtz
A silent player

EDIT: Whoops, sorry guys, just saw a similar post somewhere buried on the second page! if you have any positive feedback, please post it over there https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Constructive-Features-for-a-good-BL-map/first#post5782208

(edited by Djosdk.4612)

in WvW

Posted by: JammeR.1059

JammeR.1059

Id like to see servers just 1v1, team A starts at the top team B at the bottom of the map, just a corridor down the middle of the with 5 gates for each team and then after that a Garri for your base. When the Garri is capped the map resets, everyone is back at their spawn and gates are fixed then the next round starts and it keeps going like that for the week. Corridor would be say the size of 2-3 foot ball fields wide and you cant run out of the corridor, need to keep pushing all 5 of the enemy gates to get to Garri. It would cover people who want to blob but not roamers so maybe some smaller corridors down the side of the map? It would be kinda similar to how LoL maps are. Stronghold was leaning towards LoL but id love to see this kinda thing in WvW. Less is more, just keep the map simple.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

My ideal map ?

Take the original BL map with lake in middle, remove the lake and put some terrain there, but not as vertical and impassable as the ruins were.

Move Bay and Hills closer to defenders spawn, MUCH closer.

Redo the pathing, get rid of the zig-zag, switchback and cliffs by defender spawnpoint and provide more direct routs to garison, hills and bay. So that it takes roughly 20 seconds less time to get from spawn point to the keeps then it does from the attacker spawn point to get to them.

The keeps and garison themselves I would like to see somewhere between the old and the new. I like the wall height, siege placement etc. on the new ones, its much better balanced and things such as cannons, mortars etc. can be of some actual use before they are destroyed. But I do think there is just too much surface area and they are too labyrinth like. Make them more “straight forward” to navigate.

Eliminate things such as orbs, laser event, skrit, centaurs, replace them with additional WVW objectives, perhaps some additional towers ? Or an entirely new type of structures about half way between tower and keep ?

Add 1 more supply camp dead smack in middle of the map. Make this one a bit tricky to take so that a zerg just rolling through can not do so without significant delay.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Calista.1975

Calista.1975

The old ones were fine hell reskin them if they really felt the need to update it the real prob was all the exploit spots needed to be fixed the but the maps were fine! it was just that Anet needed to go in and do some repairs and stop some of the cheats other then that the map itself wasn’t bad but as they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions..instead of them just fixing it they gave us a a over sized pve map..

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

My ideal map ?

Take the original BL map with lake in middle, remove the lake and put some terrain there, but not as vertical and impassable as the ruins were.

Move Bay and Hills closer to defenders spawn, MUCH closer.

Redo the pathing, get rid of the zig-zag, switchback and cliffs by defender spawnpoint and provide more direct routs to garison, hills and bay. So that it takes roughly 20 seconds less time to get from spawn point to the keeps then it does from the attacker spawn point to get to them.

The keeps and garison themselves I would like to see somewhere between the old and the new. I like the wall height, siege placement etc. on the new ones, its much better balanced and things such as cannons, mortars etc. can be of some actual use before they are destroyed. But I do think there is just too much surface area and they are too labyrinth like. Make them more “straight forward” to navigate.

Eliminate things such as orbs, laser event, skrit, centaurs, replace them with additional WVW objectives, perhaps some additional towers ? Or an entirely new type of structures about half way between tower and keep ?

Add 1 more supply camp dead smack in middle of the map. Make this one a bit tricky to take so that a zerg just rolling through can not do so without significant delay.

Check the thread that was linked in the first post.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

A rectangle shaped EBG.

What? it’s simple, got a middle objective that players want to fight over, open areas for good fights, easy to get around and find enemies, has it’s fair share of ambush points.

If they had made the new map with ebg not eotm in mind, it probably would have worked out better.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Lenardius.1098

Lenardius.1098

My ideal map for WvW is they can make it all pretty if they want but I just dont want it to feel like PvE. Theres already loads of PVE stuff/content to do. It needs to focus on large scale fights.

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

It needs to focus on large scale fights.

Has WvW ever been anything else? Definitely not roaming focused. And it’s by far not ANets problem if players decide to k-train instead of searching for fights.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

Has WvW ever been anything else? Definitely not roaming focused. And it’s by far not ANets problem if players decide to k-train instead of searching for fights.

Anet designs the maps, they design the classes, they designed the siege weapons, they designed the old crappy squad functions, they designed the poorly implemented commander tags, they force the tactics with the fields and blast they give access to certain classes. It’s not the players fault they came up with the easy and efficient way to use them all with zerging. If you want something that’s roamer focused, I hear the new BL has trouble finding zergs on it.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

It’s not the players fault they came up with the easy and efficient way to use them all with zerging.

Wait what? It’s not the players fault that the players are playing it the way the players are playing it?
I guess you misunderstood something. I never said I wanted WvW to be roaming focused. You basically strengthened my point.

All I want to say is: No matter what map they design you will have the 3 upgrade tiers. And it will obviously always be easier to cap t1 rather than t3. Which means that ANet can not do anything if you decide to go for easy t1 keeps instead of fighting for t3 keeps. But this also means that you can’t blame ANet for not seeing an enemy if you don’t want to attack their defended structures but decide to go ktrain all day long. So it is the players fault as a matter of fact.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

(edited by Entenkommando.5208)

in WvW

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

My idea map is the new desert borderlands, only with people in them. The new mechanics are fun and make for interesting fights in stead of the same boring tactics everywhere on the map.

Using the terrain appropriately is half the fun the siege style pvp. The desert BLs have far more opportunities for creative tactical terrain use.

Oh, also, any map that actually adequately awards people for taking, holding, and defending objectives and stops rewarding people for flipping stuff and walking away. if people got rewarded for what their team owns in stead of what their team captures, there would still be plenty of reasons to capture stuff, but objectives would in general be better defended and create more fun objective based fights and less boring pointless fights in the middle of random fields over nothing.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in WvW

Posted by: Calista.1975

Calista.1975

People are going to play as they want to if they wanna zerg they are going to if they wanna roam (my fav) they are going to sadly seams no one wantes to defend my guild use to do this in the old maps we would camp a tower or keep for hours until it was upgraded they were promising more rewards for doing that with this new expansion we were genuinely excited for that BUT..it never came and on top of it we lost the right to even claim anything we took in WvW because we are a very small guild and cant afford a guild hall at the moment..

That said IMO the mess isent totally the players fault cause Anet needs to give us something decent to work with to start off.. the new maps do fall very short of that how ever there were issues before them as well..so maybe its a 30/70 as to the over all problems in WvW…like I said if Anet had actually just addressed the real festering issues rather then do a flashy glam make over we would all be alot happier at the moment…

in WvW

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I want the maps to be solo roamer friendly.

I just want to log in, go to some objectives and find another solo roamer and kill him. I don’t want to find friends so I can finish objectives quickly. At night, I don’t get to have allies around.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

All I want to say is: No matter what map they design you will have the 3 upgrade tiers. And it will obviously always be easier to cap t1 rather than t3. Which means that ANet can not do anything if you decide to go for easy t1 keeps instead of fighting for t3 keeps. But this also means that you can’t blame ANet for not seeing an enemy if you don’t want to attack their defended structures but decide to go ktrain all day long. So it is the players fault as a matter of fact.

Who designed it to have 3 tiers of upgrades? Who’s fault is it that it’s easier to take a T1 over a T3 structure? they could have designed structures to have T3 walls and doors at all times and use the upgrades on other things. Taking a T3 over a T1 structure is time consuming, harder in some cases depending on the defense, and not even more rewarding unless you manage to bag farm.

One of the main reasons players went to other maps is to break waypoints, but what did anet do with the new map? They took out the waypoints on the side keeps, that made it harder for defenders to come defend and also made them care less to even bother, T1 or T3 we get the same ppt out of it. It made it harder for attackers to defend it after, oh but emergency waypoints? yeah check out scribing outrageous leveling and cost.

My point is the players play in the sandbox with the rules set forth by Anet. Players go around in zergs because it’s more rewarding and easier for mitigating damage, clearing conditions, healing, focusing damage, straight out numbers will beat smaller groups of greater skill especially after the damage changes they did earlier this year. Players will always take the easy road, it’s up to Anet to design content to break that up, like they try to do for pve meta events, silverwastes is a good example of how to break the zerg up, unless they’re chest farming lol.

Anet has refused to look at the population problems and wvw for the most part for 3 years, so when I run around wvw and see 3 out of 4 maps empty almost 90% of the time yes I get to blame anet, they are the ones that are in control of the design of the game. There’s so much less players playing right now, that everyone is just picking ebg to play on.

If anet wants to make new maps more pve focused because they somehow have this idea that wvw players are really into pve, then so be it, but don’t blame players for not playing the new map if you didn’t give them what they wanted meanwhile screwing up other vital parts of wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

My idea map is the new desert borderlands, only with people in them. The new mechanics are fun and make for interesting fights in stead of the same boring tactics everywhere on the map.

Just curious about this part. I would love to see them try this, take Alpine, remove every single NPC (arguable inside spawns), and just put it out there as one map next to Desert map. Would love to see how the population of those two maps would go over a couple of months.

By remove every NPC I mean, all guards in all camps, towers, keeps. Including the lords or supervicers, All green, white, red creatures of all types on the map completely. Keep a single repair anvil (not an npc!) in the spawns. So you would be certain if you saw something move it is either a Dolyak or a player. Would be too weird to remove dolyaks.

Personally I would most likely be bored as heck on such a map, but I would love to see how the population in general would react to getting it, and how they would play it, and how many who would stick to it or go to another map.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”