Zerg Busting, still a thing?

in WvW

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Hey all, did some reading, watched some videos, and people tend to think that the ol, “15 vs 30+” zerg busting is dead, due to massive stability applications, ect. Do you all think it’s dead? If not, do you all have any, “Go-to” classes/builds that would be recommended for that sort of play?

Reason I ask, is that my guild and I don’t just want to be another one of those, “Guild groups” in WvW, and want to concentrate on being able to bust up larger groups then ours, atleast 2x our size.

Thanks, and have a happy 4th of July!!!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

No, of course it isn’t dead, that is the most fun to be had in the game. We have our guild builds and party comps for this however, so are not posting those here, but you are welcome to Pm Me in game.

Depending on what size zerg you are trying to fight, you will have a different party comp. GvG fights and smaller fights have different builds and comps used than for fighting omniblobs. It is best to carry multiple sets of armor and be able switch for out for what you are trying to do. Party comps are just as important as builds to be able to sustain. To be able to do this well, it is good to have your guild members have multiple classes they can play geared properly so that you can set party comps according to what you are trying to counter easily and have them ready to switch out as needed quickly to improve effectiveness. If they only have one or two classes geared with ascended, they need to work on doing that as that is what takes the most time.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

The only place zerg busting is really still a thing is in T4 NA because all of the zerg are really bad there.

The reason it isn’t a thing really aside from there is because most of the higher tier servers are more organized and are all on teamspeak, all sharing good builds and people are actually running good builds. In T4 NA, it seems like very few people have any good builds or organization.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

The only place zerg busting is really still a thing is in T4 NA because all of the zerg are really bad there.

The reason it isn’t a thing really aside from there is because most of the higher tier servers are more organized and are all on teamspeak, all sharing good builds and people are actually running good builds. In T4 NA, it seems like very few people have any good builds or organization.

Um no.. We zerg busted all day long Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3..
You want them to be organized and not just one push them. One push is boring as hell. You want fights that are organized that last for hours not players you just mow down.
Out of servers that were most fun to fight, and the players were good sports, for me I think fighting BG was the best big blobs.( I am talking about pre HoT BG fights, after HoT quality went downhill a bit, but that was due to all of our servers losing players, not just them or us.)

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

You want them to be organized and not just one push them. One push is boring as hell. You want fights that are organized that last for hours not players you just mow down.

Not sure you know what zerg busting means then. Back when zerg busting was big, it was 15 people taking on 40+ and winning. Seeing as I’ve been to Tier 1, T2, T3 and T4, I can only name a couple of bad enough guilds that a really smaller group could take on and win against. And guild groups aren’t really zerg unless they run 25+ in my opinion.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Not sure you know what zerg busting means then. Back when zerg busting was big, it was 15 people taking on 40+ and winning. Seeing as I’ve been to Tier 1, T2, T3 and T4, I can only name a couple of bad enough guilds that a really smaller group could take on and win against. And guild groups aren’t really zerg unless they run 25+ in my opinion.

Yes we are talking about 15-20 groups taking on 40+ and map queues. That was what JQ used to do all day long.. it is still happening in T2, T3. Haven’t played in T1 in a few months though. On Mag, some run smaller than even 15 taking on the blobs. Trex, for example, never runs many. My guild likes to do a variety, sometimes we fight blob vs blob or 15- 20 vs blob, or roamer/ havoc parties of like 5-6 vs 15- 25.. It is all fun.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

I fought JQ quite a bit when I was on Blackgate and when I was with FA very recently and I didn’t see JQ groups taking on twice their numbers ever. I literally saw them lose to even fights and less numbers more often than anything else.

I don’t think I’d call Trex a zerg busting group. They’re good but they’re more of a havoc group. I’ve fought them on many occasions and found they only didn’t run if they were sure they could win. Nothing against them there at all, I’ve fought them many times, sometimes won, sometimes lost. Impressive little group. But they ran 5-10 people and wouldn’t be beating anything bigger than 10-15 bad players. Even numbers they’re great though. Even slightly outnumbered they are.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but unless you have a video of recent months where a 15 man JQ group took on 40+, I have to continue to disagree.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

I fought JQ quite a bit when I was on Blackgate and when I was with FA very recently and I didn’t see JQ groups taking on twice their numbers ever. I literally saw them lose to even fights and less numbers more often than anything else.

I don’t think I’d call Trex a zerg busting group. They’re good but they’re more of a havoc group. I’ve fought them on many occasions and found they only didn’t run if they were sure they could win. Nothing against them there at all, I’ve fought them many times, sometimes won, sometimes lost. Impressive little group. But they ran 5-10 people and wouldn’t be beating anything bigger than 10-15 bad players. Even numbers they’re great though. Even slightly outnumbered they are.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but unless you have a video of recent months where a 15 man JQ group took on 40+, I have to continue to disagree.

I was discussing Pre Hot BG/ JQ, not post-HoT, as After HoT came out and people hated it, many left the game, most have not even returned. [KILL] is no longer on JQ and for months prior to leaving,stood down from playing WvW for months and was playing other games together instead.

Mag has been Zerg busting all day long in T2 and T3.. Yes, like I said Trex runs less than 15, but they have fought really good numbers recently watched them fighting a 35 group at the enemies spawn a couple of weeks back and will get mad if anyone thinks about helping them and that is what is fun for them. DB runs some really large blobs nonstop that are easy to bust for the most part. CF is not blobby, but good fun to fight and probably the best fighters on DB ( but they too are from JQ, and friends of ours, they never ran too heavy).

JQ is trying to rebuild their NA since many of the guilds left that did exactly what I was talking about.. Though, those guilds are on other servers for the most part, not all left the game entirely, some came back when they brought back Alpine.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

So you’re talking 8 months ago when the OP is asking if zerg busting is still a thing present day lol…

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

So you’re talking 8 months ago when the OP is asking if zerg busting is still a thing present day lol…

I am talking about this week, last week, every week on Maguuma. which goes back and forth from T3-T2 atm. The guilds that did that on JQ are scattered out on other servers presently, they are not gone.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Alright so what I gathered from the responses is that, “Zerg Busting” is still viable and your able to do it.

Now what about proper classes?

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Lot of guilds advertise they do. But no, I have yet to see that guild. There’s little havoc guilds but they usually end up running after picking off a few, nothing special. Their youtube vids are meh.

Post HoT, The last guild I saw annihilate a zerg multiple times one evening was oT, but they are long gone. It was a good 10-12 of them vs pretty large numbers. It was nice to witness.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Had a guild move in that does this. Maybe 15+ group slicing up an omni blob. I’ve seen them do it against decent servers too (mag and fa). The blobs we’re facing now are nothing to write home about (T4).

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

I am talking about this week, last week, every week on Maguuma. which goes back and forth from T3-T2 atm. The guilds that did that on JQ are scattered out on other servers presently, they are not gone.

had the pleasure of fighting kill the past linking we had. you think you run 10 – 15 but don’t count all the pugs that follow you around.. not once did i see kill out there alone busting zergs without lots of pugs following them around.. you might think you are a zerg busting guild but after fighting you i’d say you focus more on ppt than anything.

its cool to make up stories.. its always better when you add little twists in them here and there to make the story more exciting. everyone does it. just like the fisher man that came home and said i caught a fish this big when he actually didn’t catch one thing. what is told that happens is usually so far off from what really happened.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: Xeno.4610

Xeno.4610

Not in EU top tiers. The very top guilds can not wipe an organized PUG blob anymore. Anet tried hard for years to make it impossible for guilds to stand against a blob. You need about 3 good guilds of 15+ to wipe a PUG blob led by a good commander. But of course any recognized WvW guild can destroy with 15 man an unorganized force of 30. But this are two different things.

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

Alright so what I gathered from the responses is that, “Zerg Busting” is still viable and your able to do it.

Currently, if you wanted to do zerg busting, you’d need 20 solid players. I don’t think 15 can cut it these days. You’ll want to be in a tier 4 server so that you’re fighting the worst players left in the game – preferably be on Crystal Desert so you can get maximum farming of SF and DH.

Ideal group comp for 20 people:
4 Guardians (1 per party)
5 Revenants (2 in driver party for the boons, 1 in the other 3 parties)
5 Necromancers (Full zerk, preferabily core necro, not reaper.)
4 Elementalists (Marauder/zerk/cav tempest is very strong)
1 Warrior (Nice for if your driver has a habit of going down or gets focused, but not completely necessary these days)
1 Mesmer (For veils, portals, you know the drill.)

I have a group spec build for each of those here: http://asphyxia.tv/builds/

Pretty much a pirate ship setup but highly effective if everyones bombs are on point.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Up in t1 it’s called blob busting. A little harder to do zerg busting these days cause of boon sharing.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

had the pleasure of fighting kill the past linking we had. you think you run 10 – 15 but don’t count all the pugs that follow you around.. not once did i see kill out there alone busting zergs without lots of pugs following them around.. you might think you are a zerg busting guild but after fighting you i’d say you focus more on ppt than anything.

its cool to make up stories.. its always better when you add little twists in them here and there to make the story more exciting. everyone does it. just like the fisher man that came home and said i caught a fish this big when he actually didn’t catch one thing. what is told that happens is usually so far off from what really happened.

We are a very large guild with numerous commanders that does a bit of everything. Each of our commanders does different things and has their own style. If you had a “chance” to actually fight us, who was the commander at the time? We have a great variety since we like to do a bit of everything. IF you were actually fighting with us, you would be in contact with our fight commanders and set it up, since not all of our commanders are there for that depending on the day and time. We currently have different commanders for different raid times every day: SEA, EU and NA and have havoc and roamers on outside of those raid times. Some of our commanders just pugmand and take keeps, others want to run Pinnless with just the guild, some just do suicide squad havoc/ roaming. The amount of players we run varies greatly depending on commander and timezone. In addition, we also have had new commander nights where we allow ANYONE to step up and try to learn.

But since obviously you are the expert on what happens in our guild, you surely can tell me the name of the commanders you " fought" and when this was set up, and your guild.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

Up in t1 it’s called blob busting. A little harder to do zerg busting these days cause of boon sharing.

More and more necros are running boon corruptions because of how many boons are on the field and its proving to be pretty effective with how much boon uptime people have.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Currently, if you wanted to do zerg busting, you’d need 20 solid players. I don’t think 15 can cut it these days. You’ll want to be in a tier 4 server so that you’re fighting the worst players left in the game – preferably be on Crystal Desert so you can get maximum farming of SF and DH.

1 Warrior (Nice for if your driver has a habit of going down or gets focused, but not completely necessary these days)

Pretty much a pirate ship setup but highly effective if everyones bombs are on point.

That is the old build, We don’t run that anymore. No warriors, and melee parties need 2 guards. Melee party 2 guards 2 revs 1 Tempest works better now, less reapers now than before if any.. though atm you have to run boonshare mesmers if they are running it. You want 2 veil/ portal mesmers so you can run chain veils rather than 1. You don’t need a warrior, just don’t die.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

That is the old build, We don’t run that anymore. No warriors, and melee parties need 2 guards. Melee party 2 guards 2 revs 1 Tempest works better now, less reapers now than before if any.. though atm you have to run boonshare mesmers if they are running it. You want 2 veil/ portal mesmers so you can run chain veils rather than 1. You don’t need a warrior, just don’t die.

Necros are important for boon stripping, vulnerability and boon corruption because of the boon sharing meta currently. I agree, don’t need a warrior – just don’t die. But our group still runs one just in case anyway. You’re basically running a meat train that is just going to try to out sustain the enemies, if you get caught up by boon corrupting necros, your group falls and has no big damage to make up for it.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Necros are important for boon stripping, vulnerability and boon corruption because of the boon sharing meta currently. I agree, don’t need a warrior – just don’t die. But our group still runs one just in case anyway. You’re basically running a meat train that is just going to try to out sustain the enemies, if you get caught up by boon corrupting necros, your group falls and has no big damage to make up for it.

Zerg busting doesn’t use the meta or the meta builds. We have no issues due to our builds and comp… actually counting on them being Necro heavy since most we fight are necro heavy due to what we do. We are not even taking damage from necros lol :p

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

Zerg busting doesn’t use the meta or the meta builds. We have no issues due to our builds and comp… actually counting on them being Necro heavy since most we fight are necro heavy due to what we do. We are not even taking damage from necros lol :p

Well I hope we run into each other on the field again some time. Running with BEEP, we wiped probably every group that runs NA prime time repeatedly on JQ while running 15-20 people and necro heavy. We’re not the best group out there or probably even close, but we had no issues against any group on JQ when we were paired with FA except for one (Kek) which was formally Ark members. I don’t feel bad about losing to one of the best old school GvG guilds lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Used to do it regularly with my guild pre-specialisations. 10-15 Vs 30+ was very possible if you all played well and had impeccable positioning and focus. I loved it.

We started to give up shortly after the specialisation update and then when HoT hit it didn’t really matter how well you played as a guild group, a single Herald CoR could instantly down a third of your group with very little warning. It’s still possible to tear through a blob by abusing boon stacking and Tempest ability to not actually die, but it all feels so dependent on luck now. It’s not particularly fun anymore

Gandara

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Well I hope we run into each other on the field again some time. Running with BEEP, we wiped probably every group that runs NA prime time repeatedly on JQ while running 15-20 people and necro heavy. We’re not the best group out there or probably even close, but we had no issues against any group on JQ when we were paired with FA except for one (Kek) which was formally Ark members. I don’t feel bad about losing to one of the best old school GvG guilds lol.

JQ hasn’t had an NA for a LOOONG time.. like years.. so not surprised you wiped the NA there, EVERYONE wipes the NA there, there were just Pug groups in NA when we left. We would ask them to do one thing for us and they could not even manage that. JQ NA was a disaster and the reason it imploded.[ KILL] refused to step foot in NA due to the ridiculousness of the guilds bickering and in fighting running that zone and just came to accept that JQ’s NA was like the worst there was and let them destroy it themselves before we left. CF is on DB now, [KILL] is on MAG, and [Kek] transferred from mag, not a JQ guild. Our primary Fight commander is going to have to run on SEA time now due to a new job so will only have him available outside SEA on his days off when he isn’t out partying.

( Now don’t get me wrong about Necros.. I main a Necro right now and <3 them. Just the CURRENT build isn’t calling for them. OF course that could change next update if they make changes. LOL)

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

briggah.7910

We are a very large guild with numerous commanders that does a bit of everything. Each of our commanders does different things and has their own style. If you had a “chance” to actually fight us, who was the commander at the time? We have a great variety since we like to do a bit of everything. IF you were actually fighting with us, you would be in contact with our fight commanders and set it up, since not all of our commanders are there for that depending on the day and time. We currently have different commanders for different raid times every day: SEA, EU and NA and have havoc and roamers on outside of those raid times. Some of our commanders just pugmand and take keeps, others want to run Pinnless with just the guild, some just do suicide squad havoc/ roaming. The amount of players we run varies greatly depending on commander and timezone. In addition, we also have had new commander nights where we allow ANYONE to step up and try to learn.

But since obviously you are the expert on what happens in our guild, you surely can tell me the name of the commanders you " fought" and when this was set up, and your guild.

im no expert on your guild but i just call it how i see it. how would i know who the commander is? i don’t make friends with the enemies or set up fights. i see red names and i try to kill them. so for me to actually fight you i’d have to set something up with your fight commander and if i catch you in the field and fight with others against your omniblob that is not considered a fight? please.. my guess is the commander was the rev with high rank that everyone seemed to be following around. i could be wrong but that’s what it looked like to me. your guild has several high ranked players and lots of basic rank players that are new. its cool to talk highly about your guild and all but no guild stands out on any server anymore. sorry but it is the truth.

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

im no expert on your guild but i just call it how i see it. how would i know who the commander is? i don’t make friends with the enemies or set up fights. i see red names and i try to kill them. so for me to actually fight you i’d have to set something up with your fight commander and if i catch you in the field and fight with others against your omniblob that is not considered a fight? please.. my guess is the commander was the rev with high rank that everyone seemed to be following around. i could be wrong but that’s what it looked like to me. your guild has several high ranked players and lots of basic rank players that are new. its cool to talk highly about your guild and all but no guild stands out on any server anymore. sorry but it is the truth.

So what you are saying is you saw some kill tags and didn’t actually set up a fight? LMAO@ omniblob.. If you think that ANYTHING run on mag is an omniblob you would be in for a shock when you actually see one. Sounds like you were goofing off with one of the pugmanders. Goof off time is goof off time.. commanders may be drunk or whatever they want to do while pugmanding. They get paid by the server to pugmand so, no that is not actually a guild fight. LOL Who is your guild again? We can set something up if you like. We have multiple commanders running revs…( I need a name, we have 7 primary commanders, and then more that also command at times. ) Who was your commander at the time, maybe I talk to them instead. We know most guild leaders and commanders on other servers. We can set something up.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

briggah.7910

So what you are saying is you saw some kill tags and didn’t actually set up a fight? LMAO@ omniblob.. If you think that ANYTHING run on mag is an omniblob you would be in for a shock when you actually see one. Sounds like you were goofing off with one of the pugmanders. Goof off time is goof off time.. commanders may be drunk or whatever they want to do while pugmanding. They get paid by the server to pugmand so, no that is not actually a guild fight. LOL Who is your guild again? We can set something up if you like.

yes i saw kill tag running with tons of other guild names following them.. that’s an onmiblob. not once did i see 10 – 15 kill running alone.. every single time i’ve seen them they had others following them. every single time i seen them running they outnumbered us with the size of the players following them.. i’m in a pve guild but i wvw more than anyone in my guild. i’ve followed around true zerg busting guilds over my time being the only pug following them because they knew i could hold my own . i never joined a wvw guild because they have members like you that think wvw is all about setting up fights, running this or that build and have an elitest attitude against anyone that doesn’t do as they say. now you are saying players actually pays you to pugmand? LOLOLOL i’ve seen it all from you. you are so full of it.

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Most often what I’ve seen is people claiming to be doing zerg-busting like the old days are really running close to even numbers and seem to conveniently forget the pugs following their tag. Remember when old-school zerg-busting guilds didn’t run tags?! You don’t find that much anymore. That isn’t to say zerg-busting these days is not possible, only to say take the claim with a huge dose of salt. It isn’t 15 against 40. It’s always more like 25 against 35.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

So what you are saying is you saw some kill tags and didn’t actually set up a fight? LMAO@ omniblob.. If you think that ANYTHING run on mag is an omniblob you would be in for a shock when you actually see one. Sounds like you were goofing off with one of the pugmanders. Goof off time is goof off time.. commanders may be drunk or whatever they want to do while pugmanding. They get paid by the server to pugmand so, no that is not actually a guild fight. LOL Who is your guild again? We can set something up if you like.

yes i saw kill tag running with tons of other guild names following them.. that’s an onmiblob. not once did i see 10 – 15 kill running alone.. every single time i’ve seen them they had others following them. every single time i seen them running they outnumbered us with the size of the players follwoing them.. i’m in a pve guild but i wvw more than anyone in my guild. i’ve followed around true zerg busting guilds over my time being the only pug following them because they knew i could hold my own . i never joined a wvw guild because they have members like you that think wvw is all about setting up fights, running this or that build and have an elitest attitude against anyone that doesn’t do as they say. now you are saying players actually pays you to pugmand? LOLOLOL i’ve seen it all from you. you are so full of it.

Yes, they DO pay us to pugmand. 100 gold per commander. Not my fault your server doesn’t take care of their guilds. MAG has been taking good care of us. I think you are a bit confused about how this works. That is understandable since you primarily PvE. But yea, we do a bit of everything, including run havoc groups. We even dual map pin on multiple maps at once at times. WvW isn’t just played one way. If you want a fight, you set up a fight, you want to blob vs blob , you blob vs blob, you want to havoc, you do so. We like to do it all, so why restrict ourselves to one style of play? We have enough players and commanders to do what we want.

EDIT: Also, if we were running 10-15 that sounds like it was outside of a raid since we usually run at least 25 [KILL] core during map pin raids. We currently have 3 different time zone raids daily with different commanders and players for each time zone. [KILL] members are not required to run with Pin outside of scheduled raids, but always have a few people in WvW at all times.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Most often what I’ve seen is people claiming to be doing zerg-busting like the old days are really running close to even numbers and seem to conveniently forget the pugs following their tag. Remember when old-school zerg-busting guilds didn’t run tags?! You don’t find that much anymore. That isn’t to say zerg-busting these days is not possible, only to say take the claim with a huge dose of salt.

You can’t even tag anymore without pugs, so all you can do is run tagless and target and stay away from main zones , but even then you have to keep moving or they will find you. HAHA
What I consider zerg busting these days is usually about 25 vs 40+..

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Most often what I’ve seen is people claiming to be doing zerg-busting like the old days are really running close to even numbers and seem to conveniently forget the pugs following their tag. Remember when old-school zerg-busting guilds didn’t run tags?! You don’t find that much anymore. That isn’t to say zerg-busting these days is not possible, only to say take the claim with a huge dose of salt.

You can’t even tag anymore without pugs, so all you can do is run tagless and target and stay away from main zones , but even then you have to keep moving or they will find you. HAHA

Apparently then your guild is not familiar with a pug slingshot (among other pug-discouragement techniques) or at least not interested in using the technique.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

briggah.7910

yes i saw kill tag running with tons of other guild names following them.. that’s an onmiblob. not once did i see 10 – 15 kill running alone.. every single time i’ve seen them they had others following them. every single time i seen them running they outnumbered us with the size of the players follwoing them.. i’m in a pve guild but i wvw more than anyone in my guild. i’ve followed around true zerg busting guilds over my time being the only pug following them because they knew i could hold my own . i never joined a wvw guild because they have members like you that think wvw is all about setting up fights, running this or that build and have an elitest attitude against anyone that doesn’t do as they say. now you are saying players actually pays you to pugmand? LOLOLOL i’ve seen it all from you. you are so full of it.

Yes, they DO pay us to pugmand. 100 gold per commander. Not my fault your server doesn’t take care of their guilds. MAG has been taking good care of us. I think you are a bit confused about how this works. That is understandable since you primarily PvE. But yea, we do a bit of everything, including run havoc groups. We even dual map pin on multiple maps at once at times. WvW isn’t just played one way. If you want a fight, you set up a fight, you want to blob vs blob , you blob vs blob, you want to havoc, you do so. We like to do it all, so why restrict ourselves to one style of play? We have enough players and commanders to do what we want.

EDIT: Also, if we were running 10-15 that sounds like it was outside of a raid since we usually run at least 25 [KILL] core during map pin raids. We currently have 3 different time zone raids daily with different commanders and players for each time zone. [KILL] members are not required to run with Pin outside of scheduled raids, but always have a few people in WvW at all times.

what a waste of gold..

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

what a waste of gold..

Yes, you go tell them that. They follow our raids and see what they get for their Money.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

Post HoT, I’ve rarely, if ever, seen any zerg busting (ie. 10-15 v 40+) in t1 or t2. If it does happen in the upper tiers, it doesn’t happen very often.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Post HoT, I’ve rarely, if ever, seen any zerg busting (ie. 10-15 v 40+) in t1 or t2. If it does happen in the upper tiers, it doesn’t happen very often.

HoT was pretty devastating, especially to small guilds since they had everything they already earned taken from them and will never be able to get it all back. Though more accurate numbers for zerg busting are usually 15 vs 25-30 or 20-25 vs 40+. Rarely will you see 10 vs 40 outside of something like Trex these days.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

i would love to see this come back in higher numbers but yeah, it is still possible and still a thing.

I can’t speak for the other tiers but Josh is right that t4 would be a good place to find it. However, I think you can find it in almost any tier. Small organized groups, (whether guild or not) can almost always take down a pug “zerg” twice it size and if you have unique or trolly enough builds you can probably exploit many large groups.
I think we had about 6-8 DH/Ebay roamers vs a 15+ organized guild grp from CD the other day and totally wiped them but our builds were just probably not something they would encounter very often… couple of scrappers, mesmers, reapers and maybe a thief. Not exactly what you would think as a perfect comp but it worked vs their multiple guard/rev/ele/? parties which you will probably see more often running together.

in WvW

Posted by: Waffle.3748

Waffle.3748

I don’t think I’d call Trex a zerg busting group.

You’d be right there. We’re just friends looking around for fun.

They’re good but they’re more of a havoc group.

Hmm…I guess.

I’ve fought them on many occasions and found they only didn’t run if they were sure they could win.

No point in giving away free bags.

Nothing against them there at all, I’ve fought them many times, sometimes won, sometimes lost. Impressive little group. But they ran 5-10 people and wouldn’t be beating anything bigger than 10-15 bad players. Even numbers they’re great though. Even slightly outnumbered they are.

Dunno, we’ve stomped groups that pop orange swords on gates with 8 before. Did it take forever? Hell yeah. But they died eventually.

in WvW

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

In the current meta, numbers > gear/build > skills. Zerg busting is dead. While we all hated pirateship meta, zerg busting was at least possible during the pirateship meta if you were bold enough. But those days are over.

With the new stab changes, most melee can run right through cc’s. With introduction of resistance via HoT, you can’t even slow them down anymore, soft cc’s and condi’s do nothing. Now when a zerg knows they outnumber the other, they simply zombie push. All you need is to have a rev in each group and enough melees. Once you cross that threshold where you outnumber the other groups/zergs by at least 10+, you’re going to win unless you are very very kitten

omeone mentioned above, some zergs are indeed very very bad from tier 3 and below. They give you the illusion you’re zerg busting but you are really just fighting very bad zergs.

No I’m not advocating for pirateship meta, or for stab changes to be reversed. But with every balance changes from Anet, they come with consequences. These days there are maybe a handful of guilds that still roll 30+ of their own tags. Most other guilds can only rally 10-20 anymore. Wouldn’t be so bad except those that roll 30+ consistently have pubs on them and they tagteam with other guilds. So really you’re looking at facing omni blobs more often than fighting guild groups of similar size most everywhere you go.

All these things, along with WvW changes or lack of updates, are reasons why WvW is so dead these days outside of reset nights and some weekends.

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

I don’t think I’d call Trex a zerg busting group.

You’d be right there. We’re just friends looking around for fun.

They’re good but they’re more of a havoc group.

Hmm…I guess.

I’ve fought them on many occasions and found they only didn’t run if they were sure they could win.

No point in giving away free bags.

Nothing against them there at all, I’ve fought them many times, sometimes won, sometimes lost. Impressive little group. But they ran 5-10 people and wouldn’t be beating anything bigger than 10-15 bad players. Even numbers they’re great though. Even slightly outnumbered they are.

Dunno, we’ve stomped groups that pop orange swords on gates with 8 before. Did it take forever? Hell yeah. But they died eventually.

Yep, I’m right there with you. My group running 5-8 people has done the same, its just one of those long fights and the people have to be real bad if they’re running 20+ people losing to 8 these days lol. But it does happen from time to time. My group is also just a group of friends having fun, we’ve ran into you guys a few times and got our stuff stomped in so I don’t have anything bad to say really haha.

in WvW

Posted by: Waffle.3748

Waffle.3748

Yep, I’m right there with you. My group running 5-8 people has done the same, its just one of those long fights and the people have to be real bad if they’re running 20+ people losing to 8 these days lol. But it does happen from time to time. My group is also just a group of friends having fun, we’ve ran into you guys a few times and got our stuff stomped in so I don’t have anything bad to say really haha.

Well its more of ‘peeling the onion’. I hate using that term but it fits best. You’d first have to cut of reinforcements (say closing the outer to a keep or something). Then do your open on the group and see what happens. Usually we’ll keep kiting until the main group (probably the guys on TS) stops and we turn on the overextended. Do that once or twice and now you’ve evened up the numbers considerably and can roll in for the W.

in WvW

Josh XT.6053

In the current meta, numbers > gear/build > skills. Zerg busting is dead.

I disagree because numbers isn’t the only thing people are using to win those fights. Most of those people in those kitten pug blobs actually have good builds that they were given. People up there realized if they wanted to get bags, they’d need to tank up a bit so they can survive and maximize their AOE targets. Most of T3 knows this too, seems like almost none of T4 knows. You’d be pretty surprised how many people are just running full zerk in T4 and just instantly blow up in fights.

As for your thoughts on pirate ship meta, I gotta say it is still the best option. I don’t miss that it is such a good option, but with the range pressure that necros, eles and revenants can put out – it really is only necessary to have front line for pushing through chokes and things like that these days.

I think given enough time and Anet maybe buffing up Guardian and warrior a little bit to bring them back in to viability, the old hammer train meta may come back. But as it currently stands, I don’t really see it happening in the near future. Pirate ship was what defeated the hammer train before when it was the best thing since sliced bread, now isn’t much different.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

yes i saw kill tag running with tons of other guild names following them.. that’s an onmiblob. not once did i see 10 – 15 kill running alone.. every single time i’ve seen them they had others following them. every single time i seen them running they outnumbered us with the size of the players following them.. i’m in a pve guild but i wvw more than anyone in my guild. i’ve followed around true zerg busting guilds over my time being the only pug following them because they knew i could hold my own . i never joined a wvw guild because they have members like you that think wvw is all about setting up fights, running this or that build and have an elitest attitude against anyone that doesn’t do as they say. now you are saying players actually pays you to pugmand? LOLOLOL i’ve seen it all from you. you are so full of it.

I do have to say in the current match, Mag is the omniblob. On reset a Kill group split up into 3 groups surrounding us and each one of them was as big as our single group lol.

What I wish is that the organized groups would all go to the higher tiers so we disorganized pugs can fight each other. Its great fun when everyone is disorganized. But when you put an orgainized group in the mix it ruins it. Some of the funnest times in WvW were in Beta when everyone was like level 10 and no one knew what to do.

in WvW

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

I do have to say in the current match, Mag is the omniblob. On reset a Kill group split up into 3 groups surrounding us and each one of them was as big as our single group lol.

What I wish is that the organized groups would all go to the higher tiers so we disorganized pugs can fight each other. Its great fun when everyone is disorganized. But when you put an orgainized group in the mix it ruins it. Some of the funnest times in WvW were in Beta when everyone was like level 10 and no one knew what to do.

On some of my lower tier alt accounts, I see quite a few guilds with lots of veteran wvwers (ie. plat/mithril rank) running around in small havoc groups stomping on all the pugs. They’re able to take on pug groups like double their size with relative ease. It’s kinda sad and hilarious at the same time.

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

I believe it is still possible. It really depends on the opponents. Random pug zerg who is playing with their Jar of Bees and smoking out behind the ruins? sure. Kill the tag. Done. But if we are talking a coordinated guild group of 40+? I’m not buying that for a second.

Unless you pay them off in bacon. That might work.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: Ocosh.5843

Ocosh.5843

Not that the server/guild trashtalk isn’t diverting, but to address the OP’s question:

There is no more zerg-busting like in the “old days” (pre-March 2015), but you can still defeat a larger group with a skill group. Some complaints notwithstanding, the partial reversion to an effective Stability benefits the smaller group, because it allows melee pressure. The “pirate ship” tactic was not only brainless, but in terms of outnumbered fights really only effective against disorganized blobs. Between guild groups, it significantly favored higher numbers.

I guess your capacity to defeat a group twice your size depends on how big your guild is. 7v15 is certainly viable. 10v20, sure, but you have to be more careful. There is a compounding effect to additional players (though with a plateau).

As others have noted, 15v40 isn’t likely to happen much any more — things are still slanted in favor of the bigger group — unless you’re one-pushing scrubs, and then what fun is that? The best action you’ll tend to find is 20ish vs. 20ish, in which thanks to WvW Player math both groups will say they were heavily outnumbered.

Much of what’s popular right now revolves around HoT’s emphasis on a) dumbing down gameplay through AoE and passives to accommodate button mashing, and b) conditions and boons. As a consequence, you’ll see Guards for Stability/minor condi clear, a Rev for Resistance/damage reduction, front/midline Mes/Ele for boonspewing, Necros for stripping, and the odd Warrior/Engi for someone who wants to be stubborn different. Some folks may be running condi for condibombing.

It ain’t great, but it’s what we’ve got right now, and it’s better than it was at HoT release.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Hey all, did some reading, watched some videos, and people tend to think that the ol, “15 vs 30+” zerg busting is dead, due to massive stability applications, ect. Do you all think it’s dead? If not, do you all have any, “Go-to” classes/builds that would be recommended for that sort of play?

Its not dead, my guild isn’t a great fighting guild but when we organise ourselves properly we’re busting organised zergs twice as big as us.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Achilles.8619

Achilles.8619

The largest fight my guild has won outnumbered was 13v35. It’s possible but with the current meta it is incredibly difficult. If you are wanting to discuss skill, using KILL as a reference may not be the best idea. All it takes is coordination, synergy, and practice within a guild in addition to a driver that reacts well in fights and positions the group properly. If you want feasible zerg busting, it’s possible in T2 and down. T1 just has too large of groups, even the guild groups run 20-25+

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

On some of my lower tier alt accounts, I see quite a few guilds with lots of veteran wvwers (ie. plat/mithril rank) running around in small havoc groups stomping on all the pugs. They’re able to take on pug groups like double their size with relative ease. It’s kinda sad and hilarious at the same time.

It IS, I don’t consider that Zerg busting to kill a bunch of pugs running around uncoordinated on PvE builds. That is really just goofing off. Fighting BG’s organized omniblobs is zerg busting, and they actually know what they are doing and put up a really good challenge. I haven’t seen anything like that outside of BG though due to the quality of the players/ classes/ builds they are running on other servers.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Downskee.2649

Downskee.2649

An unknown guild like KILL should not be used as an indicator for what to run as a Zerg busting guild. Seeing as they have no proof to backup their claims. From what most players saw of them on mag it was below average. Try checking out GS, KEK, TDS and Woes videos on yt if want a good insight on how to adapt. They have been doing well. The builds that josh suggested are a bit outdated but they were once meta. Stick to his advice rather than lildevils because he knows what’s up. XT is better than KILL in a zergbusting standpoint. Since KILL is a ppt guild, which was proven by lildevils, this will never change.