Zerker vs Everything Else

in WvW

Posted by: Robre.2140

Robre.2140

I’m new to WvW and I have full Zerker gear. I’m a guardian that likes his hammer. Should I reconsider my gear for WvW? If so, the what? I am a noob at this WvW but I do enjoy it a lot.

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Adapt your gear to your personal playstyle i would suggest.
If you aren’t having problems casting skills, or barely haver lag go with what you have.

If you want to be of use in a zerg then i would suggest picking up a guardian wvw specific build from the forums (or ask your local wvw commander)
Either way i would wait with dropping huge amounts of gold on a specific build..
See what your playstyle needs, then see what you can add to your gear.

cheers

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: Yaro.3251

Yaro.3251

Go ahead and see for youself how you go with zerk gear. It’s not like if you enter WvW with particular gear you wouldn’t able to change it. Hevaily depends on your playstyle. In medium to large scale battles you probably will feel yourself a bit uncomfortable lying on the cold ground all the time.

Team Aggression [TA] – Golden Horde [GH]

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

I’m pretty sure most guardians use knights gear. If you aren’t dying a lot though, you can stay with whatever you like. But if you are in a organized group, they may expect you to play a different role than a zerker guard.

in WvW

Posted by: Zinrae.3769

Zinrae.3769

I would recommend a set of Knight’s armor. This way you can also get an appropriate Rune set as well and just switch armor between PvE/WvW. You can keep using the Berserker’s trinkets so that you’ll still have pretty high damage even with your decent armor (should be up around 3k)

Henge of Denravi [PD]

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

It depends a great deal on how you’re traited. If you have 30 points in both the toughness and vitality trees, then you can get away with full zerker in wvw if you’re careful. I still wouldn’t recommend it, particularly if you wanna be involved in the big fights, but it’s do-able.

The standard advice for newcomers to WvW is to start with full Soldiers gear, then slowly add in zerker pieces one at a time until you find you’re having trouble surviving.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

I wouldn’t WvW in zerker.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Robre.2140

Robre.2140

Ok thanks, I’ll try Knights for sure then. I appreciate your help everyone!

in WvW

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

you can’t go wrong with Soldier’s (PVT) with either mlandru’s or soldier’s runes. the cost is about 500,000 karma (that will also get you 4 out of 6 melandru’s runes)

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

If you can manage with Zerker, go zerker. Just as a warning though, I’ve run in a Soldier’s zerg. We ate enemy zergs twice our size.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

Guardians are better off with a mix of Cleric armor with either Azulite or Soldier accessories, it’ll give you the toughness and vitality to survive while the healing power will help your allies. I don’t see how you surviving very long with a ’zerker setup, but if you manage to not die at all or just roam, you could stick with it.

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Basicly there are a few ways you can go but the total armor you should be shooting for is 3k like Zinrae said.

If you are an altruistic healing build then you need healing power around 1k at least. Once you hit those marks you can play with other stats to your liking.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

As a Guardian i have found i have differing specs and gear dependent on what im doing. For large scale combat and group support i run healway, but for duoing or 3 manning i run more a hybrid build as it’s good to be able to output some damage. I dont sacrifice all my survivability but it’s definitely not as robust as Healway.

The main problem i find with total zerkers is conditions, you just cant run around with 13k hp’s and expect to live long enough getting loaded with conditions every couple of seconds in massed combat.

For my hybrid build i tried to hit some benchmarks 1600(1623) toughness – 800(805) healing power – 50%+ crit chance(55%) 60%+ crit damage(69%)

Definitely keep your zerker gear tho for PvE.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

You’ll want to min/max all important stats far more than just go with all zerker (hp/damage/armor).

Full zerk is never ideal. All zerk in WvW = rallybot (you die super fast, rally downed opponents). Don’t be that guy. You want enough armor/hp to survive, then the rest into damage. That balance point is very personal (build/role/playstyle/skill dependant).

There are a lot of theories/math behind why you would want a certain type of armor in a certain slot. Things like your shoulders/gloves/boots don’t help as much with knights stats as they do with berzerker (usually). But that’s probably a bit advanced for you for now.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Standard answer is run clerics armor with PVT trinkets. Trait into boon duration, healing and shouts. Buff your allies.

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I mostly roam or solo roam and i main a guard with zerker and i tend to be the last man standing. The gear really depends on how good you are with the class and what you gonna do in WvW.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

A mix is actually optimal. But that takes experimenting to find what fits your play style. Some players are very effective in full zerker gear in WvW. But when you’re first starting out, I would recommend you spec to over 20k vitality (this goes for most classes). It will allow you to get hit a few times and not die, while allowing you to learn and improve. I personally run about 25k vitality with a few pieces of toughness gear too.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

If you are in NA gold and plan to run in a zerg, just stay zerker. You’ll be great.

If you are on blackgate, don’t be squishy.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

If you are in NA gold and plan to run in a zerg, just stay zerker. You’ll be great.

BG is on NA Gold…

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

I think he means so he and his friends can easily kill you

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

in WvW

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

haha i see what you did there

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

How are these full zerker Guardians dealing with the condi meta?

I tried numerous builds and would always come back to shouts/more survivability for solo/small group roam(1-3), the fury from Meditations just didnt do it for me compared to protection/stability/regen from shouts.

And clearing conditions was a nightmare, you get 1 clear every 48 seconds(contemplation of purity) and a removal of 1, thats right 1 condition every 16 seconds(smite condition). It’s just not enough with the amount of conditions out there that classes can spam on you over and over and over.

Packing lemongrass just counteracts the duration from koi cakes, i guess if you ran Melandru as well it may have helped a little but with such a low HP pool condis ate me as soon as i ran out of my avoidance(dodges/blocks).

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

There is a soup out there that gives you endurance refills, but I forget the name

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

It really depends on your traits – switching am armour set does not make a dps guardian into a WvW support build, even if you switch to clerics. On another note, personally I am not comfortable with knight’s cause I feel I lack vitality more than I lack toughness, but I know many ppl use them. So, yes, probably a mix, which you will have to work out as you play. Either way, keep the zerk set for when you have to solo camps – which is pretty annoying in pvt or clerics.

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

How are these full zerker Guardians dealing with the condi meta?

I tried numerous builds and would always come back to shouts/more survivability for solo/small group roam(1-3), the fury from Meditations just didnt do it for me compared to protection/stability/regen from shouts.

And clearing conditions was a nightmare, you get 1 clear every 48 seconds(contemplation of purity) and a removal of 1, thats right 1 condition every 16 seconds(smite condition). It’s just not enough with the amount of conditions out there that classes can spam on you over and over and over.

Packing lemongrass just counteracts the duration from koi cakes, i guess if you ran Melandru as well it may have helped a little but with such a low HP pool condis ate me as soon as i ran out of my avoidance(dodges/blocks).

I didnt use to have any problems clearing conditions before the PoV “fix” now that they nerfed that skill there isnt really any effective way to clear the crazy amount of conditions as a guard. Purging flames doesnt cut it.. so i shelved my guard for now.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

I’m new to WvW and I have full Zerker gear. I’m a guardian that likes his hammer. Should I reconsider my gear for WvW? If so, the what? I am a noob at this WvW but I do enjoy it a lot.

Just don’t run a glass cannon build in WvW.

If you are new you run anyway in a zerg, and the most important thing for you is too survive zerg battles at first and get used to them. Becasue if you die, dozens of enemies will rally upon your death.

General in WvW more tanky builds are preferred. Sure, some people don’t.

Invest in toughness and a good HP buffer first and learn how WvW works slowly. Best is to get on TeamSpeak and listen and try to do what the commander requests.

Then find your personal WvW build. Half zerker is viable though (meanig just get a differnt armor). And invest in decent buff food, it really helps. In general focus more on sustainability than on DPS.