august 6 reducing skill lag?

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

It would also be nice for Anet to admit that the problem is on there side and thanks to the engine they used.

Pretty sure they have done this . . . more than once. Skill lag isn’t talked about very much since all the work is going on behind the scenes and apparently so far not netting a lot of noticeable results for the players but they have been working on it since they took culling out which was their original post beta attempt at making the problem less visible . . . literally. They’ve never dodged responsibility for it either so lets give credit where it is due. You can fault the design team and the public relations team for not working with the skill lag trouble shooting team and maybe for not being in better communication with each other and us but you can’t say ANET has been blind to this issue. These things apparently just take a lot longer than any of us (them included) would like.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I think too many are bagging on the developers when it takes time to get the data to be able to do something. Data gathering doesn’t happen overnight and sometimes it can take a year to get enough to understand where the problem(s) are. It isn’t like you can just look up code, which there is a lot of, and point to the problem.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Just read this in the patch notes:

In the open world, dungeons, PvP, and WvW, the new effects-culling system will slowly start reducing the detail of each effect in order to increase combat visibility when many effect types are overlapping.

So … culling is back? How will this work?

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

They will limit effects you can see. You will se elementalist casting Meteor shower, but you wont see meteors hitting you.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

How on earth will you know how to dodge out of the aoe then in a heavy 3-way fight?

Welp, I guess there’s only one way to find out .. lol … time to head into game and see.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: multivira.7925

multivira.7925

I’m pretty sure they won’t be culling red circles… just the big flashy stuff reduced to less flashy stuff.

Twirling – Pie Eating Guardian – MM – Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Hule.8794

Yes red circles wont be affected by culling, probably. But for example, Meteor Shower or Feedback dont have red circles.

in WvW

Posted by: multivira.7925

multivira.7925

Yes red circles wont be affected by culling, probably. But for example, Meteor Shower or Feedback dont have red circles.

So you’ll still be able to see them, just less intensive?

Twirling – Pie Eating Guardian – MM – Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Hule.8794

I dont think so. I think some effects just wont be visible. We need to wait for rest for some SM battle to see effect-culling involved for sure.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I think it’s funny how ANet’s “solutions” to poor game performance are always to cripple various things they originally built into the game instead of directly addressing the obvious limitations of the game engine, server capacity, and network bandwidth.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: shadowraith.9124

shadowraith.9124

Don’t throw your toys out of the pram just yet. It says it will reduce the detail not hide the spell. So you’ll still see the meteor shower, it’ll just look increasingly unexciting and plain when game performance starts to drop. This is a good thing.

in WvW

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Make every 20+ man team appear on the map to enemies at all times (e.g. moving orange swords)

This would mean enemy would know in advance when a zerg is rushing at their gates etc. but realistically a huge trampling force won’t be able to move unnoticed. Their trampling feet would be heard from long distances.

Now if you’d want to ninja cap a keep you would need to do it with less people.

So, basically make it more or less impossible for guilds to do stuff together in WvW?

That’s a drastic oversimplification. Of course guilds could still run together in WvW.

It would be about choice. How important is staying off the radar? Do you need 40 people to hit that keep? Then the two commanders in your guild organize your 40 guild members into to squads and come at the keep seperately so you don’t show on the map until the point where the crossed swords would appear anyway.

Is stealth vitally important? Than run your guild with several groups of 20 instead of one massive group of 60. How is that not working with your guild? Seems like it would be more like doing something with your guild if your commanders are strategically coordinating multiple 20 man teams rather than just doing the massive blob-zerg that you don’t even need a guild for. You can just join up with one of the server blob-zergs if that’s what you’re looking for.

This suggestion makes a ton of sense. It adds a strategic choice. Which is more important? Limiting enemy awareness of your position, or strength from numbers?

As funny as it is to see and be a part of a eighty man zerg stacking on a commander to hide behind a small hut while the enemy flows past unaware, the suggestion above sounds like it would make for more interesting WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

Reduce skill lag increase load times, if there is map call to defend our Keep it used to take me 2-3 sec to load, now it’s closer to 15secs, way to break the game…

in WvW

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

The funniest thing about skill lag is in large scale fights when you have been condition bombed and you have NO WAY TO LAUNCH YOUR CLEANSE but the D.O.T. is not lagging though… So whatever you can do else you ll die then.