close WvW at night or stop cross continent

in WvW

Posted by: EmperorOfDoom.4362

EmperorOfDoom.4362

Hardly anyone on the worlds is playing only a small group of nightcappers is active, sometimes from other timezones. Because this ruins the entire WvW after about 3 days whats the point in the days after that. The score difference has become huge by then and people stop playing after a while.

So just close the WvWvW at night from like 2am – 10am GM on weekdays.

Or another option is stop people from america/asia on europian WvW and visa versa.

in WvW

Posted by: dokks.1394

dokks.1394

Easy fix, designate time zones for servers. One server is a Central server, one an Eastern one an Pacific one an Oceanic etc. And disallow capping of major strategic points during extreme off hours on a server by server basis.

I’m blown away that they haven’t done this yet.

in WvW

Posted by: DemonCow.5328

DemonCow.5328

Some of us usually only get time to play at night. We’re not all on the same schedule as you.

I live in the US and play on a US server, and one of the biggest reasons I wanted to buy this game was the WvW, why should I not be allowed to play it?

[TI] Taking Initiative- Tarnished Coast
Guild Leader
takinginitiative.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

Terrible idea. I see no cross continent as being and idea. I think there is an issue with French Canadians overrunning a European French server. We would need oceanic servers to not screw over a huge group of players though.

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

in WvW

Posted by: Mog.1589

Mog.1589

Closing WvW servers from X time to X time would be stupid and screw over anybody who plays late night or any late night guilds etc….

The proper solution is to restrict servers by region. I.e. NA players on NA servers only and vice versa.

[LGN] Legion For We Are Many – a Blackgate guild

in WvW

Posted by: JoolaPrime.6390

JoolaPrime.6390

Closing WvW servers from X time to X time would be stupid and screw over anybody who plays late night or any late night guilds etc….

The proper solution is to restrict servers by region. I.e. NA players on NA servers only and vice versa.

Yeah so that way when my NA guild decides to stay up all night and cap everything we wont be flamed for it. I support this idea.

Enemy Invader
Blackgate

in WvW

dokks.1394

They could simply choose a server that would open at times good for them. Hardly stupid and had been done in several other RvR centric titles

in WvW

Posted by: JoolaPrime.6390

JoolaPrime.6390

They could simply choose a server that would open at times good for them. Hardly stupid and had been done in several other RvR centric titles

What titles would those be exactly? I’d like to check them out.

Enemy Invader
Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Mog.1589

Mog.1589

And if your in a guild but suddenly find yourself working late nights and playing early AM you would be screwed unless you leave your guild and change servers. Still not a good solution.

Easy fix is to restrict the servers by Region.

[LGN] Legion For We Are Many – a Blackgate guild

in WvW

Posted by: Gigachip.9473

Gigachip.9473

Some of us usually only get time to play at night. We’re not all on the same schedule as you.

I live in the US and play on a US server, and one of the biggest reasons I wanted to buy this game was the WvW, why should I not be allowed to play it?

^ this, I live in the US as well.
Also I’m a student, and my classes are from 12-4pm so when I do finish homework the only time I get to play is late PM to early AM.
and besides, ANet already commented on how its supposed to be this way (24/7 war)
why do people keep complaining?
plus look at it from another point of view..it stinks when we work so hard when I’m online just to log on and see what y’all do during the day when I’m in class and doing homework

Dragonbrand

(edited by Gigachip.9473)

in WvW

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

So: Server A has WvWvW open from 6pm-2am PST.

Since people can’t play whenever they want, there’s a mad rush to queue for WvWvW as soon as it opens.

Since they can’t play whenever they want, they’ll stay in WvWvW as long as they can, ensuring nobody else gets in that day.

Congratulations! You’ve just made sure people who have normal day jobs can never WvWvW, since they won’t be home in time to queue.

in WvW

dokks.1394

What titles would those be exactly? I’d like to check them out.

Defunct : Shadowbane
Lineage 1
Lineage 2
Aion

Just to name a few.

(edited by dokks.1394)

in WvW

dokks.1394

Since people can’t play whenever they want, there’s a mad rush to queue for WvWvW as soon as it opens.

Since they can’t play whenever they want, they’ll stay in WvWvW as long as they can, ensuring nobody else gets in that day.

Congratulations! You’ve just made sure people who have normal day jobs can never WvWvW, since they won’t be home in time to queue.

Sorry how does that change anything now? Your logic makes little sense.

in WvW

Posted by: DemonCow.5328

DemonCow.5328

Not everyone transferred to the top servers just to win matches, and is now stuck with massive queue times.

[TI] Taking Initiative- Tarnished Coast
Guild Leader
takinginitiative.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Restricting servers by region wont work. My guild is primarily US based with around 20 Oceanics and a dozen or so EU. Restricting by region will leave us homeless and unable to play with the community we have been a part of for close to a decade.

in WvW

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

Rather than letting those who wish to WvWvW do so when they wish (or at least queue for it whenever), you’re going to force the entire population of every server into whatever WvWvW window is chosen for that server.

I.e., only a select few who happen to have the free time necessary to be home, and logged into the game before the play window commences will ever be able to WvWvW.

NOT implementing an idea like this allows people to spread out their WvWvW playtime as they see fit.

Let’s put it this way: Do you have some place you have to be at a certain time of the day, every day or most days? What if this idea of yours caused your server’s window to start before you were available to play? You would never get to play WvWvW, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

“But you can just switch servers to one that better matches the time you have to play!”

Sure. But there aren’t enough servers to easily accommodate everyone’s schedule.

So, for example:
A: 1600-2400
B: 2000-0400
C: 2400-0800
… and so on.

If you are on server A, but aren’t available until 1700, the odds of you ever getting to play WvWvW are quite a bit lower than they would be with the way things are today.
So you could switch servers to B. But then you have to wait 3 hours before you can even queue, and will probably wait more until the queue pops for you.

What if you don’t have 5+ hours just to WAIT for a chance to get into WvWvW every day? Guess you just don’t get to play.

Sure, there are queue wait times that long today. But they’re not constant, and they’re not artificially enforced by a windowing system as suggested here. Implement something like what’s being suggested here, and those queue times that are only sometimes that long will suddenly always be that long or longer.

Like I said: A time window for WvWvW favors those who have no life and can sit and wait to queue before everyone else. And since it’s a hard limit for WvWvW playtime, people who get in will stay in as long as they possibly can, reducing the likelihood that anyone that doesn’t get in will ever be able to play if they weren’t able to be home in time to queue when it started.

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

No need to close just force number players balance to the less players server at the moment on each border land

in WvW

Posted by: GiRoSkItSoO.9863

GiRoSkItSoO.9863

If they Closed WvW at night, I would have no reason to play GW2 as that is my time to play. While i agree that server imbalences based on time zones are a Tad bit annoying, Stopping WvW at any time of day or night would Destroy GW2 as a game. The real world is alive 24/7 and so should be the game world.

in WvW

Posted by: Whispers.5249

Whispers.5249

The truth of this all is this, the best WvW servers WILL have crews that enter on a 24 hours basis. Now that being said, if the server you are on is a very low pop server, well you can expect little to no real productive WvW out of the prime window for your server. But that is exactly why they are suggesting people move around now and balance the populations out. We have had several guilds (in full) move from the 5hr queue time servers to ours over the past 2 weeks. We went from a 2 hour survival time after reset, to giving a fight for it now during prime time. Our off hours is still week, something I hope changes with more transfers.

I came from years of DAoC, and while I was there I was on the night crew. Without us the field got screwed up and never had a chance to balance out again. When one faction made big moves during the day, it was the night crew that shifted things back. It will eventually be the same here. The key isn’t to shut the off hours down, it’s to build your servers off shift crew. Promote it, motivate those that are on the off shift, invite them to your WvW guilds, bring them in on your plans. Shutting them down or leaving them out just helps make your server a loser in WvW.

Winning in WvWvW isn’t just about what YOU do when YOU are on, its about what your SERVER does as a whole during the time you are there, and when you are not.

(edited by Whispers.5249)

in WvW

Posted by: Bunnehboo.6025

Bunnehboo.6025

some players in EU dont like to go to EU servers because majority of the ppl who play EU do not speak english because a lot of Germans, french, and dutch populate them as well. they also may have more NA friends anyway. if ANet limit where they would play most of them would want they money back because got confirmation that they would be able to play with their NA friends or not buy the game at all if they were planing on it

If anything they should close some of the lower populated servers and allow them to transfer to other servers that are higher in the rankings and still have no que times

~Caedas~

(edited by Bunnehboo.6025)

in WvW

Posted by: Winston.2489

Winston.2489

The proper solution is to get a better ‘night’ crew on your server, or stay up later, or deal with the consequences of not doing so in the morning.

Eredon Terrace Invader

in WvW

Posted by: Flightmare.9835

Flightmare.9835

some players in EU dont like to go to EU servers because majority of the ppl who play EU do not speak english because a lot of Germans, french, and dutch populate them as well. they also may have more NA friends anyway. if ANet limit where they would play most of them would want they money back because got confirmation that they would be able to play with their NA friends or not buy the game at all if they were planing on it

If anything they should close some of the lower populated servers and allow them to transfer to other servers that are higher in the rankings and still have no que times

Stopping cross-continent servers as home servers won’t affect guesting. That way players who prefer the other continent can guest there as much as they like. Going USA for the language is a poor argument, FR and DE have their own servers and the other countries do their best.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfus.4531

Wolfus.4531

Im like this player. I work from 2pm to 11pm central. So for me to WvW with your suggestion i would need to play on a EU server, screw that. True war doesnt stop at certain times a day why should game warfare.

in WvW

Posted by: Agerian.5302

Agerian.5302

Ridiculous idea. There’s nothing wrong with the system in place. People can play with their cross continent friends, they can stay up late to nightcap if they wish, more so if the queue time is really long. And servers can accomodate any nation meaning someone is bound to be awake.

Whiteside Ridge: [VCP] Rob Lockstar (lvl 80 Ranger)

in WvW

Posted by: Jack.6207

Jack.6207

Why so worried about Nighttime raids?, solution is simple trow 10€ into the gemstore, trade them for gold, buy a Cannon upgrade for all Forts and towers you own. From what I seen the small nightime zergs rarly get trough a upgraded tower or fort. then agen, im playing on a low pop server.

in WvW

Posted by: Tzash.5748

Tzash.5748

We’ve had scheduled events in many MMOs before and in pretty much every case they have a negative impact on people who don’t play in the “perfect” time. Its quite refreshing to have a dev team realise that the entire world doesn’t revolve around a small number of timezones.

Realistically though, the ranking system will ensure that servers without night crews will not be playing the servers that do. As a result this entire complaint is pretty much void.

If you want your server to be in the top tier though then go and recruit a night crew, just like the top servers have already done.

in WvW

Posted by: Bone.8729

Bone.8729

So, by your logic, as an Oceanic player I shouldn’t be allowed to play because time-zones are unfair?
I’m glad you have no say in the matter.

in WvW

Jack.6207

Guys, atleast here in Europe we got 27 servers, with wery difrent PoP and PvE/PvP comunity, how come a lot of you act like we got a unlimited number of players and servers to play around with?

in WvW

Posted by: djoeb.2053

djoeb.2053

in before "servers with lots of “no-lifers” should be forced to play other servers with a lot of “no-lifers” …

The only solution I see is to cap player bases at night within 10% of the lowest population. Then the late nighters can move around like a lot of other players have been to find a good queue / competitive environment for their play time.

in WvW

Posted by: Obvii.6140

Obvii.6140

Restrict the servers by Region.

whats the point, canadians capping the whole maps at night, all we do during day is ruined.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfus.4531

Wolfus.4531

in before "servers with lots of “no-lifers” should be forced to play other servers with a lot of “no-lifers” …

The only solution I see is to cap player bases at night within 10% of the lowest population. Then the late nighters can move around like a lot of other players have been to find a good queue / competitive environment for their play time.

Thats not a solution that just adds to the problem, hey lets fix this by adding higher que times.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Easy fix, designate time zones for servers. One server is a Central server, one an Eastern one an Pacific one an Oceanic etc. And disallow capping of major strategic points during extreme off hours on a server by server basis.

Then by your standards, I would have to play on a server which isn’t even for NA.
I live east coast USA, however I am on the game more during times which match EU/Aussie. Why should I have to play another server because you have a bed time?

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Mandar.9813

Mandar.9813

This is just a terrible idea.

Your main concern is predicated upon the idea that the other server, being in a different timezone, is able to take the lead while you are asleep. According to your own logic, it would only stand to reason that if you are alseep when they are awake, then they will be asleep when you are awake. This means that you have a span of time during which you have the clear advantage. It seems to me that you are just upset that you are winning (presumably while they are asleep), and then get your lead taken away and your butts handed to you by a very swift and effective group of players who know what to do to secure their lead. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with all this I hear about cleaning house and then setting up siege. That’s what you are supposed to do, and it is especially smart if you know you will have to go to bed and want some extra insurance.

Anyways, you have a flawed argument, because either you are awake and asleep at different times, meaning you BOTH have the same windows of advantage and disadvantage, or they are just better than you or maybe capitalize better on their moment. You might as well ask for a handicap because you have a disability. You can’t ask Anet to to simply take away their prime time, no more so than you would want Anet to shut you down when you guys are at your best.

Lastly, matches now last for 7 days, which gives both teams ample enough time to prove themselves. I could see the complaint on a 1-2 day match, but as it is you’re just whining about losing.

If Anet paired Worlds based on timezone, it might end up pitting you against a really hardcore server that would have otherwise scored 20 places higher than you. By matching based on score, you are at least given the BEST possible chance to have a fair match.

Your Resident Devil’s Advocate

in WvW

Posted by: Shwesh.3159

Shwesh.3159

I’m blown away that you think that is a viable fix. what about people who work or have real lives that only play at night. That would ruin WvW and about 1/2 of the WvW population would quit. go back to the drawing board

in WvW

Posted by: Karicus.8356

Karicus.8356

Stop allowing x-continent players?! Wow what a bunch of egotistical, arrogant, whinning, self centered rubbish!

I mean really? Im from the UK BUT I’m awake during the night and have played with east and west coast american friends for many years because of the time i’m actually available to play.. East – West coast time. So because your getting so roflstomped and want to win everything all the time, you want to STOP friends, who have been playing other games for a long time, playing with each other?! You want to break apart gaming communities, something ANet has always said it is proud to encourage, apart just because you cant see there are many other things to do wvwvw apart from spawn camp and win an entire map?

Pointless, pathetic, narrow minded and i’m glad your in now way in charge of anything Anet do. Thank the stars.

Sorry to be so..aggressive but these kind of ‘type before you think’ ideas are just so insultingly ignorant.

Stormbluff Isle – The Brewery
www.thebrewery.weebly.com

in WvW

Posted by: Toekutr.8927

Toekutr.8927

So I can never play with my friends who live in England?

in WvW

Posted by: Strife.4956

Strife.4956

My god, cant believe how stupid you all sound, lets close off a huge amount of the player base, if Anet had given us aussies and oceanic server we would be on it trust me, its not like we want to play on your NA servers with kitten ping, trust us.

GrimmWullf – 80 Warrior, DU
Arkktos – 80 Thief, DU
Down Under Guild – Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: gloombot.3519

gloombot.3519

Don’t worry guys. These recommendations of shutting down WvW from X time to X time will NEVER be implemented. Neither will disallowing cross server. Anyways, disallowing cross server play wouldn’t solve the problem, because on a few servers you’d still have the night owls like myself that ARE US timezone and ARE going to have all your base belong to us before you waken. It’s a viable strategy, one I don’t mind utilizing each night, and you simply don’t like it because you can’t do it yourself.

Whilst I’m sleeping you’re capping points, I’m not beefin’.

Doom Bot – One Man Riot [iRez] – Maguuma – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Monk Morkins.4618

Monk Morkins.4618

This is so absurd that I cannot even begin to express how much I LOATHE you, and all of the people who think this is a good idea…

WvWvW is a 24/7 Week Long Battle. If your World cannot field players 24/7 then you will lose, that is just the reality of it. Simply put, if another World has better time zone coverage than you, then they are a BETTER WORLD at WvW… The matchmaking will eventually get servers matched against similar servers, but that will take time.

But making it such that points/upgrades/captures/WvW is closed at off-peak hours really only makes me think one thing…

http://interculturalmeanderings.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/the-world-according-to-america-2.png

in WvW

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

While I understand your frustration OP, this is not a good idea. Before the game was even launched, Arenanet made it clear that the battles would be 24/7. That means that all of us need to figure out ways to be competitive 24/7. This is not an Arenanet or game issue. It is a player/server issue.

The two-week battles have not started yet. That still gives each server time to develop winning strategies and to improve upon its weaknesses (i.e. limited to no night-time coverage).

My server has consistently been in 3rd place for the past two weeks. Should Arenanet nerf the other servers so that we have a chance to win? No. We need to start working on better tactics and come together to execute a more effective strategy to take them down.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

in WvW

Posted by: Coolmoos.8546

Coolmoos.8546

No… this is dumb, sorry

Atriese 80 Thief – Os Guild [Os] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Jack.6207

Can someone please tell me how the plan to execute this timezone thing? Splitting up in 3 timezones would leave less than 10 servers in each bracket, where half of them might be “carebear” or low pop servers… I Fail to see how this could possibly end up in a intresting ranking system… All I see is 3 servers fighting the same players every second week.

(edited by Jack.6207)

in WvW

Posted by: Houdii.2563

Houdii.2563

The world doesn’t exist while America sleeps, I don’t know how ANet forgot this…

Houdii Hoo
[KoS]
SBI

in WvW

Posted by: IComeInPeace.1768

IComeInPeace.1768

THE SIMPLE FIX:

PROBLEM: Nite Capping/Off hours taking of many keeps and servers getting roffle stomped.

SOLUTION 1: When ever the side which has a lower population at any time during the day. You will notice they get a buff already when you have less people then the other map. You keeps and guards receive a 50% buff in health and damage. You receive twice any many guards in all areas owned. Also, Enemy keep receive a 50% debuff + guards/leaders have 50% less health/damage. DAOC did similiar things when a realm owned more of the map.

SOLUTION 2: As your side owns more fo the map all of your keeps and gaurds get weaker. Concurrently, as you own less of the map you guards and keeps get stronger. This is what DAOC did.

in WvW

Posted by: Bull.5491

Bull.5491

Hardly anyone on the worlds is playing only a small group of nightcappers is active, sometimes from other timezones. Because this ruins the entire WvW after about 3 days whats the point in the days after that. The score difference has become huge by then and people stop playing after a while.

So just close the WvWvW at night from like 2am – 10am GM on weekdays.

Or another option is stop people from america/asia on europian WvW and visa versa.

I’m glad people like you aren’t involved in the development of this game.

Live today, for you may die tomorrow.
Life is too short to carry the baggage of hate.

in WvW

Posted by: Smallpoxx.6935

Smallpoxx.6935

So i cant play the game i paid money for because the EURO kids are losing there bases at night?

in WvW

Posted by: Houdii.2563

Houdii.2563

So i cant play the game i paid money for because the EURO kids are losing there bases at night?

But what gives you a right to play the game while the OP is asleep?

Houdii Hoo
[KoS]
SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

Guess your server needs to start thinking outside the box and start recruiting from other time zones ?

Maybe if Anet does a good job of Guesting and allows actual full Guild Guesting,there will be a place for Mercenary guilds to get some action.Now that would be fun.

At any rate,have you considered poaching other time zone players ?

in WvW

Posted by: Phara Miu.2816

Phara Miu.2816

Most WvW guilds in Europe are already transfering to USA it seems, better to have more 24/7 worlds then 1 total in Europe.

in WvW

Posted by: Smallpoxx.6935

Smallpoxx.6935

But what gives you a right to play the game while the OP is asleep?

Your right OP make a post when you get off to sleep or have to go to the bathroom/eat/ go do real life stuff and everyone that plays GW2 will log off until you return.

Should fix things up for ya buddy.