culling update issues

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

I cannot believe the latest update to the game has massacred wvw . The complete rendering of the game now makes it just about unplayable in wvw in any battle for alot of players . The end of the free transfers has also cause considerable drama for alot of servers, If its not the drama in Tier 1 that is going on, its the lack of players in other servers.

Not one comment in the wvw forum from a dev intervening in the t1 thread that has become a hostile joke ,and allowing servers to become a waiting line que a mile long just to get into wvw due to the mass transfers isn’t good for the game.

I hope like alot of players that someone is doing something about this, but the silence from the devs in wvw forum is to say the least deafening.

dear mod please keep this in general chat as no one seams to be listening in the wvw forum ty

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Maybe you computer is broken. I don’t really have that much problems. WvWvW is playable now. Of course it should be better, but now i actually can see where enemies are most of the times.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

yeh they didnt do nothing in this patch not event the low res textures, got implemented.

I do the grenth every day and i cant see most of the ppl, in the end of the event i see 50+ ppl.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

This patch actually helped out. I’m glad they did it and other like me are probably not posting since complainers post way more than people who are satisfied. All in all, I see zergs much faster and stealth-ed people appear much faster as well.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

you see zerg much faster because they reduced the number of ppl in the WvW AGAIN!.

culling update issues

in WvW

phabby.8945

Why are the devs hiding from wvw? so many questions on que times alone its become a wvw bingo I got in competeion

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

you see zerg much faster because they reduced the number of ppl in the WvW AGAIN!.

Actually you don’t. I was getting hit by a zerg and could only see 5 people. It was only after I died when I could see there were 15+ people there.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

no it’s not fixed. thieves still getting perma stealth.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: MaximeP.7524

MaximeP.7524

For my part, I seriously see it as a good way to ruin fights and break players fun…

This is really annoying when your team is defending a tower(for example), fighting at your best and you see only around 5-10 opponents attacking in close range the gate(you have some doubt, it’s breaking too fast). But oh! surprise, suddenly there’s now a 50 mans appearing in medium range…

This situation is an example of why I think WvWvW is seriously needing a new system that would make it disapear…

Sadly as far as I heard, there’s a lot of people who doesn’t go to WvWvW because they don’t like to be stomped by 50 opponents when we see only 5-10…

Hope you guys will give your thoughs about this…

I’m sure Anet works hard to fix this, but time’s going fast and as me, more and more players aren’t going in WvWvW anymore… Personally I’m stopping right now, I’ve been too much having bad experience with culling…

My though: Zerging is for the noobs, small group fights are for the best ones!

culling update issues

in WvW

phabby.8945

omg tonight was embarasing for the devs if they were to actually get in and play wvw, first they would have to que fro any where from 10 mins -1hr-2hr-3hrs.

Then try and I know follow your commander with your Zerg of 20 ppl , guess what if he gets 10 feet in front of you he vanashes and you have to look at the mini map too see where he is going .

Ohh and lest see what happens when you get into a battle,, mmm ther is mabye 5 poor guys about to get hammered by your 20, untill you have lagged to a slow death and OMG there is FOO with there full 80 odd zerg having a cold beer over your body. Where did they come from???????????????

Get your act together Anet you have totally destroyed wvw with your last update and the free transfer ending saga of death to the servers you set up to keep things playable will be the death of wvw.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Ventus.9483

Ventus.9483

I think the culling is actually worse now than before o.O

Before obviously stealth culling was difficult to deal with. Now ALL zergs moving to my position have stealth culling, even when they don’t have stealth. You could be 5yds away from 20 people and not know it till 3 people become visible and kill you in a wtf moment. Only 5seconds after you die do you realise it was a ball of 20 people.

[TEO] Cloaa
Whiteside Ridge
I’m in your zerg, cleaving it hard

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Tala.7638

Tala.7638

I just wanted to point out the T1 thread this week is quite fun. No hate there, minus a few ICOA posts, but they just miss T1.

Talaysteria/Talas Cap/Talarenth
THE Mystic Plumbers [LUCK]
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

culling update issues

in WvW

phabby.8945

I still can’t believe that not one comment from any dev in any of the dozen posts about the culling problem has happened, this is why they get such bad vibes about their customer relation. They want feed back all the time yet do nothing to the respect of this community about the feed back.

Again another failed patch implementation and guess it will be another 3 weeks before they go ohh we will look into it, given the history of their patches you would think by now that they would assign 2 devs to constantly check these forums for the bugs it creates, report back but also say to us hey ty for the info guys , that wasn’t the intention of the patch we will check into ASAP and get back to you within the 1hr.

That is what customer relations is, and with your past history and your statements that you are going to up your game in this field , you have failed your customers again.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Kelly.5293

Kelly.5293

I though the culling was annoying before the update. . . . Now it’s far worse for me :’’(

No point in playing wvw anymore if i keep running into invisible zergs

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Hate the new culling. It was crap the first time and its crap this time.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Sarethor.7625

Sarethor.7625

Nice to see the dolts perpetuating the “internet clueless” paradigm. No idea how life/process development/customer relations/<insert anything> actually works but speak online as the foremost experts on the subject. It’s really just a function of immaturity and ignorance, in the end. Age isn’t a factor, in my experience, as age and maturity correlate poorly in the context of the internet.

In closing, they’re working on it and have been for some time. If you can’t realize they’re actively working on a better solution from the existing posts without your own personal hotline to a developer, you’re beyond help and not really looking for it to be fixed. You just want to rail at someone and the source of your angst likely has little to do with GW2 at all.

edit: In the spirit of full disclosure, I’m also frustrated as are all players doing large scale combat, I’d wager. Everyone needs to realize that there are many constraints and considerations the developers have to factor into their solution space and they may not be readily apparent to us, as the end users. It’s an iterative process and were it a simple issue, it would’ve been remedied already.

Gzorr – 80 Elementalist, Fort Aspenwood [GODS]

(edited by Sarethor.7625)

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

People dissapear and reappear from nowhere next to me even in low numbers, even my own allies in the spawn point, then sometimes some green ghosts appear and dissapeare too.

I guess it cant be solved…at the end, cant be helped.

I took an arrow to the knee

culling update issues

in WvW

Columba.9730

Nice to see the dolts perpetuating the “internet clueless” paradigm. No idea how life/process development/customer relations/<insert anything> actually works but speak online as the foremost experts on the subject. It’s really just a function of immaturity and ignorance, in the end. Age isn’t a factor, in my experience, as age and maturity correlate poorly in the context of the internet.

In closing, they’re working on it and have been for some time. If you can’t realize they’re actively working on a better solution from the existing posts without your own personal hotline to a developer, you’re beyond help and not really looking for it to be fixed. You just want to rail at someone and the source of your angst likely has little to do with GW2 at all.

edit: In the spirit of full disclosure, I’m also frustrated as are all players doing large scale combat, I’d wager. Everyone needs to realize that there are many constraints and considerations the developers have to factor into their solution space and they may not be readily apparent to us, as the end users. It’s an iterative process and were it a simple issue, it would’ve been remedied already.

This should have been dealt with before launch.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

I think what’s even more upsetting is the Dev’s removing the VIDEO’s of the culling issue and sweeping it under the rug.

The people with GOOD → Great Hardware are seeing MORE problems.

This “Fixed” help those w/ the Minimum Standards for System Hardware and HURT those w/ the Optimal Standards.

Regardless…. ANET, Man – up and stop deleting the posts you don’t like.

That’s a FOR SURE way to loose my purchasing of gems. GUARANTEED.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Sarethor.7625

Sarethor.7625

It’s easy to hand-wave that position, but given how broad the hardware range this game is designed to support it’s utterly unrealistic to think you can comprehend all permutations without massive volume data. It’s further complicated by other engine/graphics changes which are happening concurrently and independent of the culling system.

I’m not rationalizing the current state of affairs – it’s bizarre and very frustrating.

My points are around this: They are aware of the problems and working diligently. Be realistic and have some patience. Nothing Anet have done should let you believe they don’t care or this issue will last.

Gzorr – 80 Elementalist, Fort Aspenwood [GODS]

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

The culling issue is sucking all of my enjoyment out of WvW.

Most of my deaths are due to culling. Entire zerg fests descend upon me out of thin air.

For the love of god, Anet. Fix this.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

I have no idea why you ppl hate them for the culling fix, for me it works out great! I can see the enemy comming towards me now.. if they are with a large group their server color shows up with no armor.. they look like little green,blue,red tin mans.. and it really helps me!

Its way better then invisible people, i complain alot too about stuff in this forum.. but that has to do with WvW queue and population.. because i do think that is bugged atm, and no responce on that is kinda odd..

But dont say culling is very bad now, for me it works out great.

Using

i3 – 2100 with 560 Ti 8g ram

So not the high end machine and i play on med-high (shadows off shaders low)

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Cheeky.1830

Cheeky.1830

Culling is worse now than ever. This needs fixed asap before you lose a lot of players!

So Cheeky- 80 Mes
Commander- (Hero)

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

Dunno, for some reason, it looks like they have decided to give deference to the people who run in zergs (casual) who don’t have enough free cash to upgrade their computer (and thus don’t buy gems) over the people who run in small groups (not as casual – work on legendaries, etc) with good computes who do have enough free cash to buy gems.

Interesting business choice. I guess there are just that many more of the former than the latter.

(warning) This post might have been a bit over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

(edited by Oozo.7856)

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

oozo, thats not why they did it.

For the most part when i’m running around with my small group of peeps enemies load just fine. We have found some specific areas in the map where the culling issues happen. They also happened before though.

Personally i think anets distance calculation is messed up and isnt telling you about nearest enemies all the time, instead its telling you about far away enemies that you cant see anyway.

Weve managed to pick out a few areas that consistantly behave like this, personally I call them culling lines. Because once you cross this invisible line everything loads in, but if you back across it everything gets culled out again. Its annoying, but so far workable.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

As much as I hate to do it, because i love this game. I’m leaving until ANet fixes it. Completely unplayable.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

culling update issues

in WvW

Columba.9730

As much as I hate to do it, because i love this game. I’m leaving until ANet fixes it. Completely unplayable.

it’s looking that way for lots of people. Thieves especially benefit from this, and their perma stealth god like abilities are making wvwvw unplayable for many of us.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Sanny.1270

Sanny.1270

pre patch had no issues with culling at all, even the odd time i ran into the terra bad zerg fights, i never culled. currently i can’t even tell if ppl are solo or in a 5 – 10man, you can’t even properly call out incomings. pre patch had no issue callin 5 – 10 inc or zerg inc ect.. after patch its like, how many inc, well looks like 7 but kitten if i know, could be a zerg.

Second To God ~ 80 Warrior
http://www.youtube.com/user/T3hSanny

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: browolf.3825

browolf.3825

also ive witnessed today, call target on raid leader gets lost every time they get culled, which is often :-\

Piken Square forever

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

Culling is certainly no better with the recent changes IMO, and possibly worse. Getting tired of dealing with it for 5 months now, and tired of the fanboy posts about how it’s such a hard problem we should all shut up about it. Fix it.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: climbatize.8729

climbatize.8729

Its just worse than it was before , any sane person will say that.
The whole principle that they based the change on is wrong.

" allows the game to intelligently remove players from your view to maintain frame and response rates – will be applied to the open world, prioritising creatures that are attacking you over other players"

Quote form “colin”

There lies the reason why people keep wanishing on my screan and re-apearing again.

I tried to play this week , then got sick of it and left it be , and tried again today , died loads of times just couse of it.
Just revert it back please and spare us the pain, or do you want people to start leaving slowly couse of it.

TDA

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

I seriously dont have any problems with the culling atm, maybe its based on our different hardware.. but i have some lag in big fights, but thats because i use i3.. but i do see the zergs, they change into the color of your server like tin ppl..

This patch did wonders to me.. for me its ok

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Busko.7408

Busko.7408

for me its become pretty much unplayable i was seen quite big groups before no problem now i have peeps flickering in and out… geting f… ridicules.. Down a enemy was going to take him out and got down my self as i had to hit him 2 or 3 times but he was flickering so i couldn’t target him as i lost it each time he vanished.

yea climbatize good "" :P i say let us choose if i got good comp and good connection i can take more if peeps with pc from 5 years ago sit and play let them put a slider down and have this system if it work for them.

Im a Kitty Cat rawr
what what what….

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Gave up on WvWs early due to the state of this mess.
Entered normal zones as mates logged & was helping him level faster, only to see it is just as awful in there too.

Friends list has definitely shown a mass down vote to this.
Usually 20-25 players online at once easily & most if not all will be in WvWs.
Last night, six players & only three in WvWs.
For a weekend when we`re all usually on & tearing it up, this is terribad & needs reverting fast.

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

culling update issues

in WvW

phabby.8945

I get np playing bf3 on high to max settings, I know my machine needs an upgrade, but in gw2 I run everything low – off, and its disappointing that gw2 isn’t run on dx11 or 10, which would probable help alot more ppl out. Nivida cannot get a driver for there mid- high end cards to run in reverse , they are designed to run everything on max settings for dx10-11, and I think that is the biggest problem with this game.

Goto bf3 in the middle of a battle with tanks, rockets, ppl shooting, grenades planes and everything else going on, there is not a chance in hell that ppl vanish, Let your commander run out in front of you in wvw and poof he is gone from view, with nothing but a bunch of you running along behind him.Now how can they not be thinking gees we stuffed this up badly lets repatch it back to what it was and go back to the drawing board and see were things have gone wrong.

That would be logical , but not even acknowledging , the community that they are doing something isn’t a good sign, given the pass track record of fixing things 3-4 weeks after the horse has bolted.

Given there is a thread 4 months old by one of the devs on the Queuing problem and it still hasn’t been fixed or any updated info on it, do you honestly think we should be just sitting back thinking that ohh there doing something about it when they can’t even update their own threads.

Its just not cricket

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Wonder how somebody didn’t have any problem with culling in last patch. In our teamspeak everybody just yelled “kitten this culling, can’t see kitten” whole time. Now they whine it maybe couple times in 8 hours.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

I get np playing bf3 on high to max settings, I know my machine needs an upgrade, but in gw2 I run everything low – off, and its disappointing that gw2 isn’t run on dx11 or 10, which would probable help alot more ppl out.

Apples to oranges comparison. BF3 doesn’t have literally hundred players around you all doing their thing. The poor little cpu has to take all this information from each of these players and send them back to on your end all in real time. It’s no wonder people have culling issues. That said if the engine supported and took advantage of DX 11 it would improve performance in large battles as it is optimized for todays quad core processors.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: MaximeP.7524

MaximeP.7524

Thanks to all of you guys confirming that I’m not gone crazy recently.

Let’s pray Anet will hear our despair and return(again) to the original system…

culling update issues

in WvW

Columba.9730

I wish that thieves would render first. I can live with others slowly rendering since their dps is much lower than that of thieves.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I don’t find it any worse but it’s bad enough either way that I just avoid rushing in most of the time and battles in Stonemist especially becomes a complete clusterf.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

It’s easy to hand-wave that position, but given how broad the hardware range this game is designed to support it’s utterly unrealistic to think you can comprehend all permutations without massive volume data. It’s further complicated by other engine/graphics changes which are happening concurrently and independent of the culling system.

I’m not rationalizing the current state of affairs – it’s bizarre and very frustrating.

My points are around this: They are aware of the problems and working diligently. Be realistic and have some patience. Nothing Anet have done should let you believe they don’t care or this issue will last.

This issue, along with plenty of others(some have been fixed), have been a problem since launch. I understand the complexity of the game, and the problem, but this isn’t a problem effecting certain hardware or low-end machines, it effects everyone. This is not an issue that should have been present at release.

Now we have an update which is supposed to help the problem. Not completely fix it, but improve the situation. The changes were supposedly tested with good result. Now comes patch day, and it’s the opposite. I’m not sure how this “improvement” was tested, or with how many players, but itcertainly was not done properly or accurately. Testing in any environment resembling an actual wvw match in-progress, or even a large-scale pve event, should have immediately showed the changes to be competely counter-productive.

I have no doubt that Anet wants to fix this and cares about the problem. My doubts are in the ability/manpower(devoted to this task) to actually implement a fix and properly test it before releasing it to the live game. This update had several bugs that were immediatley obvious, yet somehow were not found in testing.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Tonight was honestly the worst i’ve seen it..

People appearing instantly in front of you..

Entire Groups of people vanishing and reappearing constantly..

Hell, I was getting hit by people who I never saw coming, and they weren’t thieves..They just appear right next to me hitting me…….

It was just awful tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

culling update issues

in WvW

Tyaen.5148

Maybe it’s been asked before, but why wasn’t this an issue with Warhammer?

Or was it an issue that I just never saw with Warhammer?

If it wasn’t an issue, why don’t they look at how Bioware/Mythic implemented it? Would it have to big an impact on PvE, completely different engines so it’s not possible?

I really hate no longer being able to support an otherwise amazing game.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

In other games your graphics would lag in zergy situations. This game opts to make players invisible until your system catches up.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

culling update issues

in WvW

Tyaen.5148

^
I NEVER had issues in Warhammer with lag.

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: muylaetrix.2096

muylaetrix.2096

In other games your graphics would lag in zergy situations. This game opts to make players invisible until your system catches up.

i can asure you it’s not my computer that has to do the catching up. if i don’t see people, it’s not because my computer has to load a texture or anything that i could possible notice, it’s because my computer isn’t told that it has to render something.

http://valid.canardpc.com/2658314

i have culling at 90+ fps at times. i don’t lag in a meaningfull way. some people have computers that can render 100’s of people and keep 30+ fps.

“This game opts to make players invisible until your system catches up.”

i think you are clueless.

Muylaetrex, going bananas with [TDA] on Gandara
Camping a keep near you since 2001 !

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

There’s nothing to catch up. The server has simply decided you need to see players A, B, and C, and you don’t need to see players X, Y, and Z. It has not told you about X, Y, or Z, so your computer has nothing to catch up on.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: silvershadez.8421

silvershadez.8421

As much as I agree that culling got worse for alot of people (including me) since last patch I really have to ask you:

Do you really feel it’s ANets fault that you have such long que times now?

This would not only be naive but completely delusional. If there is someone to blame, then it’s those players that transfer on the high populated / winning servers only…

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Dominique.2187

Dominique.2187

Trying to add something helpful for the devs here.

Before the Jan 28th update I did have culling issues, but not as bad as to make WvW not enjoyable.

Now culling is still there although I believe it has improved a bit due to the default models. However my system grinds to a slideshow when we encounter a zerg now – it doesn’t matter if its a friendly one (like running to help out in Stonemist) or hostiles. Framerate drops to about 10 but I’m lagged to high heaven. All my actions are executed around one second later (shooting, dodging, running thru tower gate “portals”, …). This goes on till when – I believe – the comp has finished loading all models/textures.

Earlier, WvW was playable for me. Approach areas carefully took care of the culling for me before it turned deadly. Most of the time anyway.

Now, I see the enemies but my actions are delayed so much that there’s nothing I can do to prevent getting killed – well, you know what I mean, it depends on luck as much as on skill.

For me, things are worse now.

I’m sitting on a 100mbps line with a nvidia 560 Ti. Guess its a decent system, not top notch but good enough.

Things got worse for me, that’s all I’m trying to say.

—-
Oldaric – Grenny/Supporter Charr
Farstar Alliance – Gandara

culling update issues

in WvW

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

As much as I agree that culling got worse for alot of people (including me) since last patch I really have to ask you:

Do you really feel it’s ANets fault that you have such long que times now?

This would not only be naive but completely delusional. If there is someone to blame, then it’s those players that transfer on the high populated / winning servers only…

Another person who does not even understand the issue.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]