does anyone like underwater fighting

in WvW

Posted by: Majinga.5432

Majinga.5432

Ok so far of all the people i have spoken to everyone either dislikes or absolutely hates the way fights work underwater , so does anyone like it or is this opinion universal .

in WvW

Posted by: Mumu.6203

Mumu.6203

I kinda like underwater combat but I hate the “dead but still able to move” and the “no stomp” downed mode.

in WvW

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

I dislike that you cannot swim directly up, or down. You cannot swim a vertical loop. I’m sure it simplifies the engine. I guess we can’t have everything
This week.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

(edited by MarMaster.6241)

in WvW

Posted by: profgast.7816

profgast.7816

Mar Master: there are specific command keys for swimming up and down. Up is usually mapped to space bar.

On topic: I love fighting underwater…. on certain characters. Mostly because most other people have so little idea how that it’s easy to smash them.

in WvW

Posted by: Themanbat.3206

Themanbat.3206

On my mesmer? Ehh. On my engi? Hell no! Against a ranger, either way? Just shoot me.

Angelic Synergy [Holy], Andromeda (Mesmer)/Samson of Mice (Guardian)/Ren the Stumpy (Engi)

in WvW

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

It’s imbalanced trash and should be left for pve. The lakes in the borderlands need to go, we want the real estate for something useful… not 300 fish men waiting for ranger bots to kill them.

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Sunspots.9861

Sunspots.9861

Pretty sure every ranger loves it, or should. Some of the best pets are water pets, ie shark and jelly fish, and Speargun is better than my land weps.

Auburn Skies – Retired- Ranger of [PiNK]
When wvw was still fun feat. [PiNK]

in WvW

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

not in its current unbalanced state. however i wouldn’t mind a wvw map added that was 90% underwater including the fortifications. would certainly change the mechanics of wvw and perhaps force anet to give some real thought to balancing the classes underwater

AR

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Hate water combat. Usually when some one jumps into the water to get away. I let them. Not worth chasing them through it.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I don’t mind three dimensional fighting at all, but the visual perspective underwater in GW2 is absolute trash. Whoever coded it should be strung up by their thumbs.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Katzyn.9703

Katzyn.9703

I actually like WvW in the water, LOL. I hated it in PvE, but I’ve found Eles are quite fun to play in the water. =P

Katzy (80 Sylvari Ranger), Katarzynea (80 Norn Elementalist),
Katalii (40ish Asuran Mesmer), Katalyn Galadheon (15ish Human Warrior)

in WvW

Posted by: Exclamatory.8351

Exclamatory.8351

For WvW, I hate it because I just suck at it. Underwater combat in general, I hate it, not because of Anet, but because it is underwater in general. I must say, I really do appreciate the efforts Anet put out on trying to make underwater combat for interesting. IMO, they did make it interesting, but because it’s underwater it will always be hated.

Back to WvW, I dislike not being able to stomp, and I dislike the player having the ability to move. Althought I can understand why they can move… because of the drowning feature.

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

I think it’s way too slow. I once had a battle with someone underwater for like 20 minutes and it just kept going. Eventually we just both gave up (joined parties and started chatting). We both went down a few times, but all you have to do is kill some mobs and you rally. And there being no stomp and you being able to move while downed makes it even more pointless.

If you would do more damage underwater or something to make it more fast-paced it would be more fun. But as it is now it just looks to me like they put it in just for the sake of being able to do skills underwater.

Maybe I’m missing PvE value, but I wouldn’t know; I don’t do PvE

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: Toast.6459

Toast.6459

My guard’s yellow spear does more damage than my exotic trident, makes me wonder why trident is even an option, the damage is awful.
Question answered. >.>

in WvW

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

Mar Master: there are specific command keys for swimming up and down. Up is usually mapped to space bar.

On topic: I love fighting underwater…. on certain characters. Mostly because most other people have so little idea how that it’s easy to smash them.

I knew I’d get this response about the float/sink keys.
Since you cannot swim in the vertical directions, you can’t do flips/loops etc. You do not have 3 full degrees of freedom.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

My ranger loves it- but that’s because it’s the one area where it’s great to play a ranger!

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in WvW

Posted by: SerMahad.4813

SerMahad.4813

Like it. On my engie – no, thank you, I’ll just walk around the lake.

My Mom Thinks I’m Special [MTIS] – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

I like it, but I’m a Mesmer and we are pretty OP underwater. Engineers are pretty baller too.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in WvW

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

Only the Ranger is an excellent underwater fighter me and my shark are unstoppable

See, the Rangers are good for some things

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

All underwater combat in all video games can suck a kitten.

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I’m fine with underwater combat.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

I like it but it could be a lot better. Many underwater weapons are not as good as their equivalent dry land options. Best for me personally seems to be the Necro with trident.

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

It’s ‘ok-ish’ once I got used to all my underwater skills.

Someone mentioned rangers there though and they are severely bugged. Took me about 5 minutes literally to finish a downed ranger with his silly dead shark still reviving him, and 15+ bleeds on him the whole time.

in WvW

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I think it’s alright, and don’t hate it. Would like to see them develop more underwater content and flesh out on balance and mechanics some day. Like Catisa wrote above, if they added a map where 90% were under water in WvW, it would give them a good incentive to revise and balance the various professions’ under water combat prowess.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

They need to stop people who are downed moving in the water and also give a channeled down option.

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in WvW

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

Rangers are crazy underwater. Can’t even kill them if they go down they just get pet-healed back up.

in WvW

Posted by: BlueViking.7105

BlueViking.7105

I prefer out of water combat but i dont mind the change of enviroment once in a while.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

yeah, cuz i like grenades..

and while the targetting/leading for them sucks in all cases, at least for underwater anet had the brilliant idea of not making them kittening ground targeted.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

No I dont it at all. And for some reason whenever it looks like you are right next to an enemy and close enough to attack, you miss, then you turn the camera angle and they are nowhere near you.

So it would be nice that when it looks like I can hit someone I can actually hit someone. But overall water combat does not seem very interesting at all, and in WvW all you have is the lake which people rarely go into anyway unless they are taking nodes or using it as a shortcut across the map.

As said, I think a lot of people would prefer that the lake was land with other POI on it.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: richardsmith.3104

richardsmith.3104

One of my favouite battles and hiding places is the water. I just love it, specially dreaming bay and the shortcut stonemist jumping off into water besides redwater camp behind. Always did sneak attacks there, big suprises etc. I adore the water, I am happy its on GW2.

in WvW

Posted by: Fraeg.9837

Fraeg.9837

mixed feelings. I appreciate the effort that went into it. But as others have said some classes really outshine others in it. If I am fighting a Ranger or Mezmer and they go into the water I just wait by the shore to see if they will come out as there is no point in fighting them down there.

Wyverz – Asura – Mesmer
Xynobia – Asura – Necro
|Gnaw| |BB| |dO| |SOUL| – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Water combat is horrible and forces you into one weapon set. I’m a d/d ele, I want to be highly mobile and move in and out of combat. What do I do underwater? Sit back and spam spells like I’m using a staff.

I honestly just give up kills if they go in the water because it’s so kitten bad that I would prefer losing the kill than dealing with the water combat.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

I kinda like underwater combat but I hate the “dead but still able to move” and the “no stomp” downed mode.

These are my only complaints too, it makes fighting mesmers a pain. I’ve lost underwater team fights because people kept fighting clones instead of looking for the downed mesmer swimming away and recovering.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

My guard’s yellow spear does more damage than my exotic trident, makes me wonder why trident is even an option, the damage is awful.
Question answered. >.>

I love the trident actually, it has a lot of healing potential and generates combo fields. Sure it isn’t great at damaging but that’s not what it’s supposed to be for. I see the spear and trident as opposites more or less — one is for damage and the other is for support. I use both equally.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: kreese.9461

kreese.9461

not in its current unbalanced state. however i wouldn’t mind a wvw map added that was 90% underwater including the fortifications. would certainly change the mechanics of wvw and perhaps force anet to give some real thought to balancing the classes underwater

im a necro not an aquaman but even i would like an underwater map for wvw – people need to round out their skills

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

Water combat is horrible and forces you into one weapon set. I’m a d/d ele, I want to be highly mobile and move in and out of combat. What do I do underwater? Sit back and spam spells like I’m using a staff.

I honestly just give up kills if they go in the water because it’s so kitten bad that I would prefer losing the kill than dealing with the water combat.

I’ve often enough just stopped moving to die and respawn, rather than spend time and energy to escape. And I see others do it as well…

I rather die and spend 2 minutes running back to the general area, than spend 5 minutes trying to survive or kill someone, end up somewhere I don’t want to be, just to spend another 2 minutes to run back.

Although underwater I usually avoid combat. You will never see me attack someone unless they attack me first

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

(edited by Centrix.4065)

in WvW

Posted by: MuffinMan.3285

MuffinMan.3285

I prefer not fighting underwater, but as a necro I do enjoy it…minions and sinking abilty as well as conditions and death shroud…kinda OP xD

WvW isnt fun anymore :(

in WvW

Posted by: Setch.2398

Setch.2398

I like downing quaggen nodes on my ranger because I can do it pretty quickly. I love underwater pvp on mesmer because I can usually beat people. But I suck at getting quaggen nodes down on my mesmer. I am specc’d exactly opposite of a glass cannon.. so er.. brick pea shooter?

SOR – [Boss]

in WvW

Posted by: Talmor.9048

Talmor.9048

I love the water fighting system. I am an absolute terror there and always retreat to the water to give myself an edge. Yes an edge. I have figured a way to survive and even thrive there.

The problem is that you have to account for the fact that your skills change. It is actually a way to avoid those thieves in WvWvW and other OP builds. But if you build it right, you can do well underwater.

Is it a perfect system? Can it get better? Most definitely, but just because you cannot do well in pvp underwater does not mean you should take it away. Figure out a way to do better is what I say!!

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

in WvW

Posted by: Toast.6459

Toast.6459

Question answered. >.>

I love the trident actually, it has a lot of healing potential and generates combo fields. Sure it isn’t great at damaging but that’s not what it’s supposed to be for. I see the spear and trident as opposites more or less — one is for damage and the other is for support. I use both equally.

That would be great if it actually mattered in WvW. How many large groups do you see underwater? Next to none.
The healing doesn’t matter in 1v1 if the damage sucks, most classes regen alone can out heal the damage from a trident
Spear has god awful range for some reason, it’s a ranged weapon, yet for some reason I pretty much have to be standing on top of the guy to get a hit
People say eles are the worst class underwater, I disagree, guardian takes that award no contest.

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I’m sure you and I have ran into each other escaping into some lake in one of our matchups Talmor. I appreciate the extra layer and I’ve seen some crazy large scale moves take place under and through water in w3. My only gripe with it at this point is that there are far too many trash fish. In w3 and pve I’d rather see fewer trash fish but more powerful so it can be an actual challenge rather then a time sink and I can go “oooh” and “ahhh” at the scenery once in awhile without all the seafood in the way.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Greyskies.2815

Greyskies.2815

I love underwater combat…I feel it takes a little bit more skill as a player then fighting on land.

Buleye
Chronicles of Tyria (CoT)
Tarnished Coast (TC)

in WvW

Posted by: Talmor.9048

Talmor.9048

I’m sure you and I have ran into each other escaping into some lake in one of our matchups Talmor. I appreciate the extra layer and I’ve seen some crazy large scale moves take place under and through water in w3. My only gripe with it at this point is that there are far too many trash fish. In w3 and pve I’d rather see fewer trash fish but more powerful so it can be an actual challenge rather then a time sink and I can go “oooh” and “ahhh” at the scenery once in awhile without all the seafood in the way.

I would not doubt that, I am usually found camping out in the water of the Battle Lands, I like to imagine myself as the cleanup crew down there, taking on all them fishies. I was there a lot last week trying to keep the quaggan presence on all of the keeps and camps. It does not do a whole lot, but it still does something!

I look forward to meeting you next week in the water! (I am in all pimpin’ purple).

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

in WvW

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

underwater swimming is fun alright… and pve ok.

however combat is – if not horribly but at least noticeably – still unbalanced and people are way too hard to finish.

I think also how different classes work underwater does not make sense. For example necromancer suddenly has whirling melee skills when they’re normally not so much about whirling. I think underwater skills should be closer to land combat skills.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in WvW

Posted by: Nanashi.5704

Nanashi.5704

PvE its fine but in WvW it sucks big time. the skills are too buggy, i get “out of range” or “obstructed” all the time even when i’m well within range, my pulls dont work, if i use a dash attack to close to the enemy i go through them instead of to them.
even the lack of a down state underwater is stupid, i kill an enemy yet have to poke him till he’s dead while he can still move around.
sucks big time.

in WvW

Posted by: Sokina.8041

Sokina.8041

I love underwater combat. Most people don’t like it and aren’t good at it, or don’t even know how well their skills work underwater.

It’s almost like free kills when I go underwater.

However, I think Guardian’s skills are a bit more useful underwater than some others.

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

However, I think Guardian’s skills are a bit more useful underwater than some others.

<- Able to destroy a quaggan node while being attacked by 2 (ignored) enemy players only using trident autoattack. Granted, they weren’t that great, but i really like my trident underwater.

in WvW

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Underwater combat is simultaneously better than most games and still pretty terrible. It is also heavily dependent on profession, skills are far less balanced, and entire mechanics are arbitrarily ripped out of professions when 80 % of utility skills become locked.

At bare minimum, under water should have an entirely separate trait point allocation, since many professions don’t function at all similarly on land vs. on water.

in WvW

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

If the fight on land goes sour, my Ranger dives into the water and turns into AQUAMAN!

Man, it feels like I fight ten times better underwater than I do on land. And even when an opponent downs me and I manage to activate Lick Wounds, they can only kill me if they manage to separate me and my pet.

My shark loves to cuddle me back to life!

But a lot of it is probably also a L2P issue. Not many people spend a lot of time underwater so they usually don’t have a clue what their abilities actually do so they’re just randomly mashing buttons. Next to that they’re usually swimming around with some level 20-50 junk weapon they never bothered to replace.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in WvW

Posted by: silkysoft.6749

silkysoft.6749

Needs to be a tear off rebreather element when someone is downed or just get rid of it and let us have tanks and spaceships.