entering and leaving combat

in WvW

Posted by: blackgamma.1809

blackgamma.1809

High mobile classes that can enter and leave combat is a very abusive mechanic for roamer. i know this topic isnt something new. but how its abused makes other classes like druids and thieves and warriors significantly better than the rest. is not so much the instant full health that bothers me. its the classes abusing the cooldowns

so when a player engages a fight with a theif, and successfully lands their elite skill or a skill with a significantly high cooldown. that theif can blink away and use high mobility to leave combat. re enter combat with full health. making that skill wasted. even though you played correctly as intended.

my only suggestion is whenever a player leaves combat. they dont regen their health instantly to full. they either must find a safe spot to use their heals or regen, heal on the go

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Choose your fights more wisely is the best advice I can give. You don’t need to fight everyone you see and not everyone will see you if you’re wise about how you travel.

I understand your gripe with high mobility classes that can abuse their speed to bandage their mistakes but that’s the difference between WvW and PvP. You are not required to stay within a small circle while fighting someone. You have the entire map at your disposal and people shouldn’t be punished for using the terrain intelligently.

If someone runs from you, you should run too. Chasing them just means you’ll be kept in combat and they’ll come back to attack you after they’ve left combat. Consider them running a win and run as well so you can regain your health and re-engage them at a more advantageous time if they choose to come back.

Most players count on you chasing them when they run, just remember that.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I am wearing my Chicken Chaser title with pride chasing runners with my lbow/staff combi. Great times when they run out of combat, i can swap to staff to leap in range and continue spamming my arrows till they’re down.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

High mobile classes that can enter and leave combat is a very abusive mechanic for roamer. i know this topic isnt something new. but how its abused makes other classes like druids and thieves and warriors significantly better than the rest. is not so much the instant full health that bothers me. its the classes abusing the cooldowns

so when a player engages a fight with a theif, and successfully lands their elite skill or a skill with a significantly high cooldown. that theif can blink away and use high mobility to leave combat. re enter combat with full health. making that skill wasted. even though you played correctly as intended.

my only suggestion is whenever a player leaves combat. they dont regen their health instantly to full. they either must find a safe spot to use their heals or regen, heal on the go

Why is it fair that some classes can negate all physical damage while waiting out their cool downs? Why do some classes have passive traits that punish perfect burst or Cc? Those aren’t fair why should they be rewarded for failing to properly dodge an attack/Cc while at the same time CC’ing the attacker without the press of a button? At least disengaging and Re-engaging is an actual strategy and not passive gameplay. It’s called thinking strategically and wanting to win you use the classes/builds advantages to secure a victory.

And if they are out of combat so are you….. not simple to grasp you will only die if you wast CDs trying to chase them.

Oh I see now you are a Necro main…… hence the salt on mobility classes, yet has some of the most passive gameplay on certain builds in game to date.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Why is it fair that some classes can negate all physical damage while waiting out their cool downs? Why do some classes have passive traits that punish perfect burst or Cc? Those aren’t fair why should they be rewarded for failing to properly dodge an attack/Cc while at the same time CC’ing the attacker without the press of a button? At least disengaging and Re-engaging is an actual strategy and not passive gameplay. It’s called thinking strategically and wanting to win you use the classes/builds advantages to secure a victory.

And if they are out of combat so are you….. not simple to grasp you will only die if you wast CDs trying to chase them.

Oh I see now you are a Necro main…… hence the salt on mobility classes, yet has some of the most passive gameplay on certain builds in game to date.

+1

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

blackgamma.1809

dude you are so annoyed that my comment, that you decided to paint your own image of me, with words, in your inside your own head.

i like losing fights, its how i learn. i dont like how exploiting mechanics as seen as a legit strategy, learn to retreat and come back in a split second? thats not why the leaving combat mechanic exists. bad mechanics are not legit stats, or else glitching into towers, portal bombing with 100 zerg, or perma quickeness or stability to a 50 man squad would be legit strategy.

why is the community conditioned so badly to play around and abuse bad mechanics and bugs?

also in regards to SpellOfIniquity, i like your advice that im already forced to follow since HoT release.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I dont consider this to be a major issue – if someone has to abuse OOC to win fights then they suck, plain and simple. Yeah you may die to them, but at least you have your honor. This is the reason I never “duel” that thief clearly standing on the side challenging you to what they consider a fair 1v1. I will happily 5v1 on them whenever possible without remorse. Sorry good and skilled thieves, the tards have spoiled the class.

That said, I wouldnt really mind a tweak to this either. Regening a max of 50% HP OOC for example or something simple like that.

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

dude you are so annoyed that my comment, that you decided to paint your own image of me, with words, in your inside your own head.

i like losing fights, its how i learn. i dont like how exploiting mechanics as seen as a legit strategy, learn to retreat and come back in a split second? thats not why the leaving combat mechanic exists. bad mechanics are not legit stats, or else glitching into towers, portal bombing with 100 zerg, or perma quickeness or stability to a 50 man squad would be legit strategy.

why is the community conditioned so badly to play around and abuse bad mechanics and bugs?

also in regards to SpellOfIniquity, i like your advice that im already forced to follow since HoT release.

Nope just annoyed at players not understanding core gameplay concepts.

It’s not an abuse of mechanics, it is a legit strategy, if you they are out of combat so are you it’s not a hard concept to grasp, your health and so on regenerates as well. Different classes have different ways to approach combat Some rely on mobility some rely on passives and so on, just because you don’t like the mechanic means it’s an exploit.

Each class has the tools to disengage from a fight or to kill all other classes, your posts just screams l2p and you want people to sit there and facetank your damage, sorry you can’t understand actual strategies.

Tl;Dr

If your opponent is out of combat so are you in 1v1 situations, if you can’t grasp that there is no helping you.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You mean like war druids and thf who are not punished for spamming there high def skill both dodges and dmg mitigation? To the point that you cant kill these classes with out going super conidtion builds pushing the meta into a very toxic “unfun” path.

Leaps all of them need to be gap closer not running away tools so if you do not heal / hit some one you should deal with a higher cd. If you do not dodge an attk it should take longer for your endures to come back. If you stay in stealth too long you should start to get def -%.

You can play any game in an unfun way and call it “well i am just playing better then you” but your no longer playing your making it a task and removing the fact its a game. This is why we do not let ppl hit good players with baseballs to “take them out” with out high punishments. Its not playing better its just exploitation.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

blackgamma.1809

I dont consider this to be a major issue – if someone has to abuse OOC to win fights then they suck, plain and simple. Yeah you may die to them, but at least you have your honor. This is the reason I never “duel” that thief clearly standing on the side challenging you to what they consider a fair 1v1. I will happily 5v1 on them whenever possible without remorse. Sorry good and skilled thieves, the tards have spoiled the class.

That said, I wouldnt really mind a tweak to this either. Regening a max of 50% HP OOC for example or something simple like that.

i dont mind your example. thanks for actually bringing it up. at least you are someone that can see past their own nose. i can also understand from your viewpoint why you also dont see this as a major issue. on smaller wvw servers when their only option is to roam and they encounter this more than they should

in WvW

Jski.6180

i dont mind your example. thanks for actually bringing it up. at least you are someone that can see past their own nose. i can also understand from your viewpoint why you also dont see this as a major issue. on smaller wvw servers when their only option is to roam and they encounter this more than they should

The thing is there are no more smaller servers or at least there should not be (link worlds not set up the best but it dose up the wvw population). What your talking about is more of making roamer important and what he is talking about is to make roamers less unkillable. Its not the same thing.
Its not good to have classes that only realty die when they feel like it. Its like making gurds comply invaluable all the time until they choose to cut it off to land an attk only to cut it right back on before any one can attk back. By having this type of game play the only chose is to go all in on constions and most ppl find this as an unfun game play. Its only going to get worst as more ppl play this “you cant hit me until i want to hit you” or this keep away that spans full maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

I understand the purpose of health resets in this game to increase its pace by allowing people to enter combat once more after a fight.

It makes sense in PvE, after you cleared a batch of enemys you don’t have the luxury of healers for a refill like in older MMOs (until HoT anyway…). It makes sense in the smaller arenas in Spvp, and keeps the game moving instead of spectating on someone hiding in a corner waiting on a heal for three times until full.

As for WvW, at best, I’d consider increasing the range for reset. So even if said mobility class has all their cooldowns, they must burn more off for that magical reset healing effect. This would affect disengagement more than engagement in my opinion.

Furthermore, I’d add on having a condi on an opponent leaves you in combat until it is removed. This way resetting on condi builds (knowing your duration is off the charts) will keep you more mindful of applying condis vs. seeking to recover.

In general though, HoT killed roaming for me.

I am bias’d heavily against even doing it much anymore. The balance introduced long effect chains (ex. fear applies chill, that applies bleeding and vulnerability/weakness), increased spam of actions (evades,blocks,warrior bursts,auras,etc…), that overall exaggerated the scale between burst, and sustain (all those damage reduction things…). Because of this, roaming can be very twitchy with low time to kill (like Call of Duty or the Wild West) or a dragged out torture with various bunkers.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

(edited by Chinchilla.1785)

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

You mean like war druids and thf who are not punished for spamming there high def skill both dodges and dmg mitigation? To the point that you cant kill these classes with out going super conidtion builds pushing the meta into a very toxic “unfun” path.

Leaps all of them need to be gap closer not running away tools so if you do not heal / hit some one you should deal with a higher cd. If you do not dodge an attk it should take longer for your endures to come back. If you stay in stealth too long you should start to get def -%.

You can play any game in an unfun way and call it “well i am just playing better then you” but your no longer playing your making it a task and removing the fact its a game. This is why we do not let ppl hit good players with baseballs to “take them out” with out high punishments. Its not playing better its just exploitation.

Again every class has survivability cheese it’s just a different flavor, i.e. Passives that reward bad players for getting Cc’ed /bursts down, or classes with low Cd defenses that burst then cycle through their blocks/invulnerable/evades/Heals till their burst is back up, i.e. Warrior, DH, Chrono, Engie,Ele and so on, Thief to a lesser extent since no real CDs and they have to disengage and reset it’s how the class was designed Devs have stated as such.

And let’s reiterate once again if someone disengages you are both out of combat what don’t you understand about that? If they OOC to heal up guess what you are OOC and heal up as well…. it’s not rocket science.

If the remove the disengage potential of classes then they better remove all the invulns and passive defenses all classes have because those don’t promote skill at all.

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

I understand the purpose of health resets in this game to increase its pace by allowing people to enter combat once more after a fight.

It makes sense in PvE, after you cleared a batch of enemys you don’t have the luxury of healers for a refill like in older MMOs (until HoT anyway…). It makes sense in the smaller arenas in Spvp, and keeps the game moving instead of spectating on someone hiding in a corner waiting on a heal for three times until full.

As for WvW, at best, I’d consider increasing the range for reset. So even if said mobility class has all their cooldowns, they must burn more off for that magical reset healing effect. This would affect disengagement more than engagement in my opinion.

Furthermore, I’d add on having a condi on an opponent leaves you in combat until it is removed. This way resetting on condi builds (knowing your duration is off the charts) will keep you more mindful of applying condis vs. seeking to recover.

In general though, HoT killed roaming for me.

I am bias’d heavily against even doing it much anymore. The balance introduced long effect chains (ex. fear applies chill, that applies bleeding and vulnerability/weakness), increased spam of actions (evades,blocks,warrior bursts,auras,etc…), that overall exaggerated the scale between burst, and sustain (all those damage reduction things…). Because of this, roaming can be very twitchy with low time to kill (like Cally of Duty or the Wild West) or a dragged out torture with various bunkers.

Damaging Condis keep players in combat

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

High mobile classes that can enter and leave combat is a very abusive mechanic for roamer.

If it doesn’t affect PvP, it won’t get fixed.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I figure if a player runs away from me for any reason, they can’t kill me. Therefore I just go about my business as if they didn’t exist. I don’t bother chasing people as it simply isn’t fun. Let the thieves have their fun tagging Keeps and running away. That’s about as much harm as most of them can do.

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Great post.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Great post.

Great, but inaccurate. Or to put it less diplomatically, wrong.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

Great post.

Great, but inaccurate. Or to put it less diplomatically, wrong.

So how is it inaccurate? Enlighten us!

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Insults a player because he’s salty but cries about passive. Irony

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

Insults a player because he’s salty but cries about passive. Irony

Nope drawing parallels, and he doesn’t grasp the concept that if the his opponent Disengages and OOC then he is OOC as well. Just saying. No salt just annoying seeing people that clearly don’t understand basic mechanics complaining about no issues.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

When someone goes OOC on me intentionally I either pursue to finish or I move in the opposite direction, if I know they are baiting CD, to regenerate my own while forcing them to blow CD to re-engage. It’s give and take, that can be annoying but if you play their game better it is often more rewarding than simply melting them in 5seconds at the onset of a fight.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

High mobile classes that can enter and leave combat is a very abusive mechanic for roamer. i know this topic isnt something new. but how its abused makes other classes like druids and thieves and warriors significantly better than the rest.

I mean mesmers blinking twice defintley aint a problem. Nor is them disappeaering all the time. Nor is them stealthing during a disappear. Nor is moa’ing an enemy and running a problem. Nor is bombing the crap out of some1 and leaving to have a smoke while they play with ur illusions.

I mean engie’s using stealth gyro definitely ain’t a problem. Nor is the stealth duration given after exiting the gyro. Nor is the cc spam you can lay down on an enemy.

Plenty much everything to a large extent except tempests, necro, revenant (and lets be honoest revenants are fast mofo’s when they wanan be) can abuse the ooc mechanic. I don’t understand why Druid and warrior are top of ur list there…at least you can see where the kitten they are/go when they run….. o wait, druid has stealth tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
So i guess remove warrior from ur list then. If gs5 is the thing thats allowing them to ooc away from you, yer playin the game wrong. If they using a sword then there’s no point even paying attention to them

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Honestly, it’s more of the stereotypical cookie cutter builds you see presently that is dragging this game down. Same ole boring build and classes. Not a whole lot of diversity going on anymore.

in WvW

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

You do understand that the thief is blowing cool-downs to get ooc in the first place, right? /thread

I am a teef
:)

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I would make a mayor change. No out/in combat diffrence. Speed as out of combat and basicall you are in combat in WvW exept when in an uncontestet keep/tower or the base.
Always hated that get fast out of combat timer ….

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

I would make a mayor change. No out/in combat diffrence. Speed as out of combat and basicall you are in combat in WvW exept when in an uncontestet keep/tower or the base.

Would need some kind of healing potion then for people who don’t use passive heal and only use incombat heals like heal on hit. Nvm we have med kits….I knew they existed for a reason!

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Would need some kind of healing potion then for people who don’t use passive heal and only use incombat heals like heal on hit. Nvm we have med kits….I knew they existed for a reason!

Eh that make no sense. Without OOC regen you use your heal or other healing skills until you have full HP. Even passive heals heal when popped. Its not exactly complicated.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in WvW

Jski.6180

Again every class has survivability cheese it’s just a different flavor, i.e. Passives that reward bad players for getting Cc’ed /bursts down, or classes with low Cd defenses that burst then cycle through their blocks/invulnerable/evades/Heals till their burst is back up, i.e. Warrior, DH, Chrono, Engie,Ele and so on, Thief to a lesser extent since no real CDs and they have to disengage and reset it’s how the class was designed Devs have stated as such.

And let’s reiterate once again if someone disengages you are both out of combat what don’t you understand about that? If they OOC to heal up guess what you are OOC and heal up as well…. it’s not rocket science.

If the remove the disengage potential of classes then they better remove all the invulns and passive defenses all classes have because those don’t promote skill at all.

Its not about removing just simply punishing ppl for using skills over and over in a spam way. Note nothing on ele is a low cd and that where i am getting the make all leaps longer cd if they do not do there ending effect “ride the lighting.”
Its silly to see classes “run” endlessly because there skills that are made for attking are being used to get away for free and where updated to not get effected by roots chill etc.. I think there needs to be a real counter to all of this.
Dodge spame as moment and perma stealth needs there own set of counters. As for high def skill they need to be much fewer and more dmg type aimed so a physical def should make you weaker to condtions dmg (non boon effect because you cant chose to not have other ppl put boons on you). Or a full invariability means you cant do any thing at all but be invaluable.

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

Snip

Its not about removing just simply punishing ppl for using skills over and over in a spam way. Note nothing on ele is a low cd and that where i am getting the make all leaps longer cd if they do not do there ending effect “ride the lighting.”
Its silly to see classes “run” endlessly because there skills that are made for attking are being used to get away for free and where updated to not get effected by roots chill etc.. I think there needs to be a real counter to all of this.
Dodge spame as moment and perma stealth needs there own set of counters. As for high def skill they need to be much fewer and more dmg type aimed so a physical def should make you weaker to condtions dmg (non boon effect because you cant chose to not have other ppl put boons on you). Or a full invariability means you cant do any thing at all but be invaluable.

Dodge spam and permastealth do have counters i.e. Wards and Reveals…. and again if thy are running they aren’t damaging you, if they OOC you then you are OOC, you just want to make it so people are forced to fight and not be able to disengage…. also else has quite a few things to use to disengage, between RTL, Superspeed, Lightning Flash, Mist Form, Blazing Retreat and so on on top having Invulnerability it all depends on how you setup your build..

Some classes rely on being able to disengage while others rely on passives, invulns and other defenses to be able to survive/win fights each class has different styles of play, if you limit/remove certain classes disengage potential then you have to remove all the other classes survivability mechanics it’s pretty simple, now some classes like Warrion and Druid don’t need the disengages since they have very powerful Passive and active sustain and could use a shave in those areas or will have to give up a bit of their passive sustain/active sustain if they want to keep the disengage potential.

And last but not least being able to use skills in a versatile way is great game design and promotes strategic/skillful thinking.

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Lemme tell you a secret about fighting thieves as necros, theres a reason they go ooc range, its because you want to chase them and you waste more cds than they do. Now lets say you have conditions keeping you in combat, do you chase the thief? Ofc not, you go opposite way, they thief comes again but this time with 0 cds or 0 iniative (he wasted iniative + cds to escape, and more to chase you). Then you just burst him down with spite traits, ez shroud entrance(3k) + spinal (2k+)+ hydro (2k+)+ chilling nova(3k+) + air sigil proc(1k+) and whatever else you wanna throw in there and gg thief is dead. With good luck you will also corrupt the might on him and he will do 0 damage next 10 seconds
Now, if you dont play this build while roaming, then you’re most likely condi necro or an idiot, which means, well cancer for cancer.

Edit: For the plebs that didnt know; might turns into 10s weakness and shroud entrance = spiteful spirit

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

Health regen in ooc is one of gems in this game. No health potions, lol. So tired to solo games where I have to collect health potions (or ammo for guns).

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

yeh i agree with the op, the ooc timer has to be much longer in wvw, this is not pve and it’s not fair the thief that because of the absurd mobility can reach out to you again easily from the other side of the map, and burst you down in a sec because it has all the initiative and “utility” skills ready.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

yeh i agree with the op, the ooc timer has to be much longer in wvw, this is not pve and it’s not fair the thief that because of the absurd mobility can reach out to you again easily from the other side of the map, and burst you down in a sec because it has all the initiative and “utility” skills ready.

Again if the Thief is OOC so are you, which means your health regeneration as well, two most Thief Utilities are high CD between 30-60 seconds with one at 15. Initiative is a very limited pool that doesn’t instantly regenerate when OOC, if they used it to disengage that means they have to use it to rengage… and in all that time your CDs are refreshing as well. #rocketscience.

in WvW

anduriell.6280

Again if the Thief is OOC so are you, which means your health regeneration as well, two most Thief Utilities are high CD between 30-60 seconds with one at 15. Initiative is a very limited pool that doesn’t instantly regenerate when OOC, if they used it to disengage that means they have to use it to rengage… and in all that time your CDs are refreshing as well. #rocketscience.

don’t say silly things, theef has short cd utility skills as well and can trait\equip for fast initiative generation.

All of it plus the no use of cooldowns but initiative in the weapon skills so they can spam skills like pistol\pistol unload make the thief kinda a broken class.

while my skills are in 30 seconds cd, the thief already have enough initiative to cast another unload or for a backstab from invi.

So yeah, longer time before the player goes out of combat if the combat was against another player, it would be a fine change, at least in wvw.

I TOLD YOU SO

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

don’t say silly things, theef has short cd utility skills as well and can trait\equip for fast initiative generation.

All of it plus the no use of cooldowns but initiative in the weapon skills so they can spam skills like pistol\pistol unload make the thief kinda a broken class.

while my skills are in 30 seconds cd, the thief already have enough initiative to cast another unload or for a backstab from invi.

So yeah, longer time before the player goes out of combat if the combat was against another player, it would be a fine change, at least in wvw.

Uh try and trait for the Initiative regen there isn’t an actual Initiative regen trait any longer, it is capped at 1 Initiative per second, you can receive two on a steal and 1 Initiative on a successful Evade on a very under used trait line oh and let’s not forget the 3 Initiative on a weapon slot also never taken because Daze on steal is much more rewarding ….. much regen such wow many disengages….. let’s take your p/p example into consideration if they spam Unload they have no Initiative to disengage with since it costs 6 Initiative to Infiltrator Arrow away once.

Second the only useful Utilities for the majority of the builds are Shadowsteps 60sec CD, Signet of Agility 30 sec Cd and Bandits defense 15 sec CD now there are other utilities but they are so underwhelming and most are high CD let’s see RoI is 60 secs Infiltrator signet is 30 sec has a horrible 1 ini every 10 secs which is useless and requires a target to teleport… maybe you should learn more about the class before making horrible claims, the only actual short CDs Thieves have are from Daredevil and non of them are mobility skills..

P/p would need to waste 5 Initiative, and a dodge to enter stealth all the while giving up UC and taking Bound which limits mobility and disengage potential. Or by taking a long CD stealth skill. Again they can’t disengage since P/P would use all its Initiative in your scenario. And backstab am has been nerfed severely where if it doesn’t land it goes on a Cd and the Thief is revealed…..

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

in WvW

Jski.6180

Snip

Dodge spam and permastealth do have counters i.e. Wards and Reveals…. and again if thy are running they aren’t damaging you, if they OOC you then you are OOC, you just want to make it so people are forced to fight and not be able to disengage…. also else has quite a few things to use to disengage, between RTL, Superspeed, Lightning Flash, Mist Form, Blazing Retreat and so on on top having Invulnerability it all depends on how you setup your build..

Some classes rely on being able to disengage while others rely on passives, invulns and other defenses to be able to survive/win fights each class has different styles of play, if you limit/remove certain classes disengage potential then you have to remove all the other classes survivability mechanics it’s pretty simple, now some classes like Warrion and Druid don’t need the disengages since they have very powerful Passive and active sustain and could use a shave in those areas or will have to give up a bit of their passive sustain/active sustain if they want to keep the disengage potential.

And last but not least being able to use skills in a versatile way is great game design and promotes strategic/skillful thinking.

The counter to spame dodge and even stealth is on such a long cd and such a short duration its not a real tool to deal with ppl doing this. You need to have build in punishment system to tools like these if classes can use them so often OR you put the lines / reivles on such low cd / long duration that they out right mess up balancing.

By making dodges that evade nothing take longer for your endures to recharges you make dodging a skill tool not just a pure spam tool. By making stealth have a long turn weakness of taking more dmg the longer you stay in it a real risk reward of do i try to avoid them with stealth at the cost of if they do get me i am dead or do you use stealth as a short evasion to land the big hit and not deal with the build in def weakening.

Added note: When a class can spam dodge and stealth the strategic is only on the person trying to counter it. The person who can spam these tools is able to win or reset fights with out thinking about it as in these ability are counter to needed strategic. If anything being about to simply leap away when you mess up or stealth away or dodge away IS so ant-strategic that if you take the same point of view and apply it to any other game of game you will find it to destroy that game.
Its ok to have a run away tool but it should be a very limited tool you do not retreat an army to have your men come back to life and comply reset the battle no you retreat at a cost and your loses are still loses they do not come back.

(edited by Jski.6180)

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

Snip

The counter to spame dodge and even stealth is on such a long cd and such a short duration its not a real tool to deal with ppl doing this. You need to have build in punishment system to tools like these if classes can use them so often OR you put the lines / reivles on such low cd / long duration that they out right mess up balancing.

By making dodges that evade nothing take longer for your endures to recharges you make dodging a skill tool not just a pure spam tool. By making stealth have a long turn weakness of taking more dmg the longer you stay in it a real risk reward of do i try to avoid them with stealth at the cost of if they do get me i am dead or do you use stealth as a short evasion to land the big hit and not deal with the build in def weakening.

If they did that then they have to increase all the Blocks/Invulns CDS since a pure defensive rotation can negate damage just as effectively and classes with those defenses have better sustain in the form of healing, while all Thief has is effectively Dodges since stealth doesn’t negate damage… and by the time their defensive rotation is done it is almost off of CD again.

Let’s go off of your suggestion the longer someone camps stealth the more damage they take, ok if they do that than the longer someone negates damage the more they take the longer they negate damag once the damage negation ends , see how idiotic that sounds?

The games balance is screwed no matter what all classes need their defenses and damage toned down and reworked from the ground up.

in WvW

Jski.6180

[quote=6432764;BlaqueFyre.5678:

If they did that then they have to increase all the Blocks/Invulns CDS since a pure defensive rotation can negate damage just as effectively and classes with those defenses have better sustain in the form of healing, while all Thief has is effectively Dodges since stealth doesn’t negate damage… and by the time their defensive rotation is done it is almost off of CD again.

Let’s go off of your suggestion the longer someone camps stealth the more damage they take, ok if they do that than the longer someone negates damage the more they take the longer they negate damag once the damage negation ends , see how idiotic that sounds?

The games balance is screwed no matter what all classes need their defenses and damage toned down and reworked from the ground up. [/quote]

So they would not at all your thinking that you should be able to live though messing up these tools that not the chase. If you mess up your dodges stealth leaps you should die. That the point of def tools if you use them wrong they still should not help you. The point about block / invaluably is often when you use them you cant attk or even move all that well but leaps stealth and dodges are very free moves where you both take non lethal dmg and get away to reset a fight. When you inval and block your often just using it to deal with a burst cyclical not trying to reset a fight.

in WvW

anduriell.6280

So they would not at all your thinking that you should be able to live though messing up these tools that not the chase. If you mess up your dodges stealth leaps you should die. That the point of def tools if you use them wrong they still should not help you. The point about block / invaluably is often when you use them you cant attk or even move all that well but leaps stealth and dodges are very free moves where you both take non lethal dmg and get away to reset a fight. When you inval and block your often just using it to deal with a burst cyclical not trying to reset a fight.

although i may sound contrary to the idea i don’t think thief need to change how the class works or the access to stealth they have.
I simply point out all classes need a way to build to effectively fight against stealth. The same you can build to spam condi to counter high armor\sustain builds, all classes should have more or less access to effective reveals.

So if you build against that the thief will have to make use of the rest of the tools at his disposal to counter, like the evades, mobility and burst.

Right now they only need to spam stealth, pin you down with the traps and spam condis like crazy from invi, using the caltrops, traps, steals and evades from dd.

I TOLD YOU SO

(edited by anduriell.6280)

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

What a silly argument, let me clear it up,

If it’s not breaking any “rules” or TOS ect then it is a legit tactic regardless of the fictional rules you have in your head. BUT it is pathetic if the two people are actively fighting one another. I can see someone running back to there party or zerg or whatever trying to avoid combat because they just want to get back to their grp but a consenting battle … THUNDERDOME, TWO MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES.

Either way it’s not again any rules therefore it is a legit tactic it’s just lame AF.

in WvW

Jski.6180

If it’s not breaking any “rules” or TOS ect then it is a legit tactic regardless of the fictional rules you have in your head. BUT it is pathetic if the two people are actively fighting one another. I can see someone running back to there party or zerg or whatever trying to avoid combat because they just want to get back to their grp but a consenting battle … THUNDERDOME, TWO MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES.

Either way it’s not again any rules therefore it is a legit tactic it’s just lame AF.

There are no rules only what can be done and what cant be and atm what can be done by some classes comply destroy any other class and foces the game into a very toxic / unfun game play of all in conditions dmg. When ppl play like this they are destroying the very game that they are playing and we are saying it should be fixed.

Take the ghost thf at one point is it ok for them to have stealth forever and are able to keep a player in combat forever effectively locking them into place in a harassment way that if done in any other format would be seen as out right bulling? This build is so toxic that most ppl would simply log out just to get away from this because its the only way or simply letting the thf kill you. Where is the fun game play in that?

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I doubt they’d ever change it permanently to remove the OOC health regen, but that could be a great option for a monthly WvW-wide effect, if they ever decided to mix up WvW a bit from month to month by introducing an environmental effect like original GW’s pvp’s Flux effects.

It could help show players how much they’re relying on it to get by, shake up the meta to no end, maybe make it more rewarding to invest in healing power (since OOC reset is one of the things that cheapens healing power so much), and would make running through the countryside after a battle or successful escape a lot more tense!

On the other hand, skills are balanced (however skillfully is endlessly debated here) with the status quo in mind, so most likely people would only see it as a new thing to complain about (“my favourite build feels less effective than before and now I feel bad”) rather than as a new opportunity to have fun in a different way.

in WvW

blackgamma.1809

lets talk about skill, or should i say. what little skill some people have when they claim to have. since you guys like going on the tangent of me being bad player. my skill has very little to do with anything, i never said i was good.

reading an opponents class skill, and forcing them to waste it is very much a part any pvp or wvw, its a very important and rewarding skill to learn.

so if i can get this right. you guys, who accuse me of not being skilled or being salty. you guys cant be skilled players. if you purposely waste their abilties, go ooc and to go back in. you guys must be really bad players. because you guys should be able to do all of this in combat. if you have to abuse mechanics in a way its not mean’t to be used. what does that say about your so called skill and legit strategy?

if my suggested change says anything. if the change is implemented. it makes the more skilled players rewarded for being in combat. and it makes the playing field more equal for everyone else

(edited by blackgamma.1809)

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

lets talk about skill, or should i say. what little skill some people have when they claim to have. since you guys like going on the tangent of me being bad player. my skill has very little to do with anything, i never said i was good.

reading an opponents class skill, and forcing them to waste it is very much a part any pvp or wvw, its a very important and rewarding skill to learn.

so if i can get this right. you guys, who accuse me of not being skilled or being salty. you guys cant be skilled players. if you purposely waste their abilties, go ooc and to go back in. you guys must be really bad players. because you guys should be able to do all of this in combat. if you have to abuse mechanics in a way its not mean’t to be used. what does that say about your so called skill and legit strategy?

if my suggested change says anything. if the change is implemented. it makes the more skilled players rewarded for being in combat. and it makes the playing field more equal for everyone else

If are making you waste cooldowns, winning the fight, and making you cry on the forums, it sounds like their strategy is working just fine.

If you haven’t noticed, this game isn’t balanced around 1v1 fights. In SPvP where you have a point to fight over you have classes that can stand and hold the point vs x players, and other classes that use their mobility to quickly move across the map to decap and +1.

In WvW roaming there aren’t points to fight over so these classes use their mobility for hit and run attacks. Saying it’s unfair for them to use what is built into their class is the same as complaining about people blocking too much.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

Actually, I’m reading all this back and forth here and … I’m not so good at this whole disengage thing. I’m a DH and when I get jumped by a thief who’s stealthed and unleashed his whole burst on me, I smack them down to a quarter health and they stealth and disengage. Before my health returns, they unstealth and have 90% health again and are right back at me.

Seems they can clear conditions significantly in stealth too.

So all this “when they are OOC, you are also OOC” isn’t what I’m experiencing. They have to be truly OOC, not just stealthed removing condi and regening.

That’s just what I’m seeing and I’m not so effective fighting these thieves, mesmers or rangers. I’ll at least admit that. For me it’s definitely a l2p issue, but I do understand what the OP is saying.

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

Actually, I’m reading all this back and forth here and … I’m not so good at this whole disengage thing. I’m a DH and when I get jumped by a thief who’s stealthed and unleashed his whole burst on me, I smack them down to a quarter health and they stealth and disengage. Before my health returns, they unstealth and have 90% health again and are right back at me.

Seems they can clear conditions significantly in stealth too.

So all this “when they are OOC, you are also OOC” isn’t what I’m experiencing. They have to be truly OOC, not just stealthed removing condi and regening.

That’s just what I’m seeing and I’m not so effective fighting these thieves, mesmers or rangers. I’ll at least admit that. For me it’s definitely a l2p issue, but I do understand what the OP is saying.

If you are having problems with Thieves on DH which is the direct Hardcounter to Thief you have other issues. And yes if they Are OOC so are you unless you have aggro from some other enemy. And while they disengage they can use their Heal it’s not that hard to understand and while they are disengaged you should be moving and so on all the while your CDS and health will regen. The rules don’t magically stop working because a thief disengages. If you have a damaging condition on you from said Thief you are both still in combat, if either of you are OOC and have no other aggro or such you are both OOC.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

There are no rules only what can be done and what cant be and atm what can be done by some classes comply destroy any other class and foces the game into a very toxic / unfun game play of all in conditions dmg. When ppl play like this they are destroying the very game that they are playing and we are saying it should be fixed.

Take the ghost thf at one point is it ok for them to have stealth forever and are able to keep a player in combat forever effectively locking them into place in a harassment way that if done in any other format would be seen as out right bulling? This build is so toxic that most ppl would simply log out just to get away from this because its the only way or simply letting the thf kill you. Where is the fun game play in that?

I never said it was fun, I also called it pathetic, but as it is not breaking anything in the ToS, it’s legitimate regardless of how we feel about it.