how involved are developers in wvw?

in WvW

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

as the titles says are involved are they? so far especially in tier 1 I’ve yet to see a member of anet command a group for example or get on the servers teamspeak, the streams I found show little of anet participating in these things, neither feeling the pressure and stress of commanding a group of people both on and not on comms and the different strategies and tactics that go on.

for example, are wvw developers aware of the different tactics going on, such as the use of a hard melee train, moving as a solid block rather than a clumsy blob or separating the zerg into melee and ranged under their own commanders etc.

another one would be “are the developers aware about developments within the servers wvw community” are they aware when a guild, particularly a large one leaves or enters a server? dimishing or increasing their power, if they do, do they take into account the number of players they have or their activity in wvw or the timezone they play in?

final one would be are the developers aware of the different developing communities of wvw,do they know the respected leaders of those servers? the leaders of the large guilds who make a big difference in wvw? or the server meetings that take place before the reset happens?

so far my greatest worry is that the developers are detached from the reality of wvw, many of their streams are small man raids and pushes with their warriors,actions that can be done by any Havoc group and more, they are not talking about the warfare, the varying tactics, pushes or strategies going on in the big picture, and most importantly little about being on the servers comms which is one of the most important tools in something like wvw.

Note: many of anets wvw activities seem to go on in the server of SBI, which I know has its on server wide ts. have not seen many if any wvw developers going to something like tier 1 or tier 2 where the wvw can be hugely different from tier to tier

in WvW

Posted by: EchenSketch.9142

EchenSketch.9142

I’d doubt any serious Anet WvW player would play w/ their tag on or on a well known toon, so it’s hard to know. Right now they’re focused on PvE, but they still improve WvW slowly. So it’s easy to think they are involved.

Falkriiii – Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: Bushido.2184

Bushido.2184

I’ve seen one. On Kaineng. Then he transferred over to TC recently. Loooool.

Leet Hacker (War) | Linüx (Necro) | Linúx (Ele)
Quit to play my 2 favorite competitive fps and moba games ported to my favorite OS.

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

You don’t seriously think that the people who make big bucks in program development would waste their time playing video games?

They probably hire a bunch of schoolkids to look it over and give feedback.

in WvW

SpehssMehreen.5897

if thats the case why doesnt anet at least consult with people especially commanders and leaders from all servers to help better shape the wvw environment?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

You don’t seriously think that the people who make big bucks in program development would waste their time playing video games?

Big bucks? Most game programmers work ridiculous hours, their jobs require a very high technical skill level and frequently they have no long term job stability. A decent one could easily shift into the traditional business sector, cut their hours substantially, get a raise and have tons of job security. Most work in this sector because they love being in this business.

if thats the case why doesnt anet at least consult with people especially commanders and leaders from all servers to help better shape the wvw environment?

Because honestly… users are idiots. Doesn’t mean they are stupid but they do not know all the difficulties adding a feature or fixing a bug entails. Users also behave like children… give them a toy today and they will be clamoring for another toy tomorrow. Above all users are happier with a stable less featureful system. The more that gets crammed into a system the less stable it becomes thus often the best course of action is to improve what the user doesn’t see and put in new features judiciously.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

Contiguous.1345

Aw c’mon.

The fight for jobs in this sector is huge – personally, I would have given both legs and a kitten to work in it – as it is I had to… well, you don’t want to know.

Maybe the corporate finance sector or Internet stuff makes more money – but Jeeeeez, what’s job satisfaction worth?

As for the rest of it, I stick by what I said. Last thing any programmer wants to do, (in any sector) is to stress-test the code. That’s definitely one for the hired help.
But definitely not the end-users! Oh dear Beelzebub no!

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

They have a comparatively large team but most of them are hired part-timers, interns and contractors, as per glassdoor.com, which probably means the involvement and passion for the game on average is significantly below many other game studios their size (even though I don’t doubt some individuals are very passionate about the game and it’s modes).

in WvW

Posted by: The Goat.1940

The Goat.1940

extremely involved! you can tell by the sea of developer responses to question in the WVW forums! It’s like they respond to every single thread!!!

Necrotic Sushi – Necro
Elephant Ambush [EA] , Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Contiguous.1345

Well, they’ve only got one guy to handle all the customer relations for WvW and it’s probably not his full-time job.

in WvW

SpehssMehreen.5897

i just wish that one of the developers,even devon carter would just sit in, even just on teamspeak in one of our server meetings and hear how the server deals with overall strategy, the different guilds asigned to different maps, the timezone coordination between different guilds in different countries, the overall development of the wvw community, right now im so worried that the few developers of wvw, not only supported last by anet but also spend their time cooked up in their own offices and groups becoming more and more detached with the wvw community.

it happend with arrow carts, it might happen to something else

in WvW

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I’d doubt any serious Anet WvW player would play w/ their tag on or on a well known toon, so it’s hard to know. Right now they’re focused on PvE, but they still improve WvW slowly. So it’s easy to think they are involved.

what? ._.
that gamemode in wich if you don t play a warrior or a guardian you should reroll?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in WvW

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

If you watched their twitch channel, you’d of saw the new wvw stuff, and how excited the dev was about the new cata skill.

Any real wvw who saw that skill would of been like ’That’s the most useless thing ever, a defense against trebs/ballista’ if you’re cata is getting hit by those, you placed it in the wrong area. What a waste of development.

in WvW

Contiguous.1345

I’m sorry to say it but Devon really went down in my estimation when he confessed to enjoying sitting in a tower with an arrowcart.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/devon-carver-on-the-future-of-world-vs-world/
‘Holding a tower against all odds with some smart siege placement and a bit of luck may be one of the most fun things I’ve ever done in a video game.’

Suddenly it all made a horrible sense.