[idea] Add new world bosses to WvW

in WvW

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

tl;dr: Add world bosses to WvW that give special buffs, loot, or achievements when defeated. This would increase participation from PvE players outside of tournaments and could help to equalize some WvW matchups if proper strategy is used.

Edit: Some ppl on reddit didn’t like the idea of adding achievement points or exclusive items since it would potentially hurt WvW by inviting PvE’ers that don’t listen or aide their server in any way. I can agree but I wanted to put the idea in in it’s original context to see if it could help out at all. Any way that it can be modified to cater specifically to WvW players is okay with me

Okay sorry if this topic sounds a bit off, but I’ve been thinking about this idea off and on for the past few weeks and another aspect for it just hit me. What if we had WvW-specific World bosses? Bosses that, when defeated gave certain buffs or chances at rare loot or recipes. The bosses could be something as simple as avatars of the human gods or legendary creatures that are parts of each race’s lore. They could be recycled bosses from temporary PvE or living story content.

The structures to prevent boss-camping could be them spawning at random locations, being part of a map-wide mini-quest chain, or being randomly allied to a borderland on spawn, making it impossible for that team to get the buff they provide. The buffs could also only go to the people that got credit for defeating the boss. Temporary (let me emphasize temporary) buffs that WvW world bosses give could be:

• exclusive vendors
  • specific stat boosts
  • more points per tick
  • more points per kill
  • more supply capacity
  • supply protection
  • more damage to siege
  • reduced damage from siege
  • increased golem speed
  • more damage to walls and doors
  • special tells for stealthed opponents (like whirling leaves)
  • map-wide immunity to traps and tricks
  • map-wide siege equipment duration buff that would postpone need to refresh
  • random dazes or conditions with attacks
  • random blocks or a second of immunity
  • reduced immobilize or CC duration
  • drops for special siege, environmental weapons or consumables
  • special adds like ranger spirits or necro minions that spawn on hit, on kill or when hit
  • Defeated boss could either participate in skirmishes, sends minions to raze objectives within their area of influence or be “piloted” golem-style like in The Ghost Rite where a player would become that boss’s “avatar”.

These are all just half-baked ideas that would have to be refined or added to by the community, but hopefully nothing OP. I want to increase through traffic for WvW and give people things to do besides camp objectives or feel hopeless when up against a strong team. Please let me know if this is something helpful or not!

(edited by johnsonade.9547)

in WvW

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

The few champion bosses already around (e.g. Grub) are already ignored because people would rather pvp. You could make the incentive great enough to fight them…but then people would still probably resent being forced to pve in wvw.

It would be interesting to see more champion-level mobs actually involved in attacking/defending keeps/camps…but it would have to be balanced very carefully to avoid unwanted effects (such as further incentivizing zerg-formation if mobs are too tough to be killed quickly by a small team).

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

It’s always good PvP when you need to fight for right to kill some boss or when your raid need to manage get inside dungeon alive while enemy zerg camping entrance.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

johnsonade.9547

Yeah I dunno, I just want to make more activities inside of WvW to keep things from getting stale. But I’m not trying to Put PvE loot grind into WvW, just want to make something with PvE’s flavor in WvW to increase fun factor and add depth. Like being able to get decent environmental weapons inside WvW that don’t cost supply, or setting things up so that havocs can go after specific champions and bosses to help even things out. “Outnumbered” as a buff is okay and Borderlands bloodlust is alright, but I just want something a bit more strategic than might, health and magic find buffs.

in WvW

Posted by: Isaac.9215

Isaac.9215

Here’s a new idea… maybe ANET could implement gasp GvG’s?

Fix X, Curly Cutie
NSP Cutting Edge [EDGE]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWK6BakGg48r4gyMsbfDYXQ

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Yea more PvE will make wvw more alive then it is now.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Maybe I’m part of the wrong crowd, but every time people I roam with or my guild or even a lot of PUG blobs I’ve run with have one person suggest that we kill the PvE mob and everyone else tells them to go back to PvE. We want fights against other people. Anet actually has a system which allows PvE-like drops from PvP. Embrace that, not the inclusion of more PvE.

Or do we not remember what happened when the toxic mobs and giant flowers were added to Ebg?

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Or do we not remember what happened when the toxic mobs and giant flowers were added to Ebg?

Oh, I remember… I got a lot of free wxp without needing to leave Quentin Lake or Ogrewatch Cut.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The PvE mobs all over EotM are absolutely awful. No one wants to PvE in WvW. Even the ambient creatures annoy me.

in WvW

johnsonade.9547

The PvE mobs all over EotM are absolutely awful. No one wants to PvE in WvW. Even the ambient creatures annoy me.

Unless you’re a thief or a necro haha, but I understand.

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

What’s the difference between stacking up to blob down a gate, and stacking up to blob down an NPC’s?

You want to truly end WvW, convert it to PvE?

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yeah, they should add something like Svanir/Chieftain in spvp in the WvW map, and make them contribute 1000 points for each kill, but make the HP really high and scale up with more people, and spawn super veterans with more people attacking it. make it spawn every hour.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

yeah, they should add something like Svanir/Chieftain in spvp in the WvW map, and make them contribute 1000 points for each kill, but make the HP really high and scale up with more people, and spawn super veterans with more people attacking it. make it spawn every hour.

I like this idea.

You know svanir and chieftain was meant to be so that the team that’s down could make a comeback.

There should be comebacks in WvW and the idea you mentioned would be perfect.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawntree.7246

Dawntree.7246

No PvE. Champs & Veterans inside structures and camps have a reason to exist. That is that.

Only exception: Wurm.

Emanuel Dawntree – Nord Guardian of [TasH] – 9×80
Whiteside Ridge

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

if they implement it as a meta event connected with defense and outnumbered buff or difficult situations where an enemy server captured their keep for over 1 hour should be good .

wvw has some situations where the good performance ( or coverage ) form a server may block the wiliness of enemy servers to play in a matchup .

high level bosses can help replace the coverage problem in defense for the outnumbered servers and give more challenge to the servers with better performance and better rewards too. so outnumbered defenders win some time that maybe be crucial or a chance to keep the gar/keep and attackers will have better loot if they win … 2 gains in 1 bad situation

p.s. some nights i wished i had the option when i defended alone a t3 keep against a blob , to have the option to pay to replace the 82 lvl lord with lyssa and her mad gorillaz

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Add a World boss to Edge of the Mists.

Put the boss in the unused space where the Aetherblades are (and/or under where the trolls are).

Have it spawn at a set time in the match.

Edge of the mists is already PvPvE and this would make it really fun without annoying the “pure” WvW’ers.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Add a World boss to Edge of the Mists.

Put the boss in the unused space where the Aetherblades are (and/or under where the trolls are).

Have it spawn at a set time in the match.

Edge of the mists is already PvPvE and this would make it really fun without annoying the “pure” WvW’ers.

This ^^ I’d also remove the EotM achievements from the “competitive” category to something more general. Let’s stop pretending this map has anything to do with WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

We already have the victory worm. How much more pve do people want?

BG

in WvW

Offair.2563

We already have the victory worm. How much more pve do people want?

On that note, how many times the champion spider been defeated by now?

Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

No. and Hell No. Anet tried to bring more PvE to WvW and we players ignored it. We still mostly ignore the grub too so long as there are fights and PPT to work on.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Let’s stop pretending this map has anything to do with WvW.

How about we stop pretending EotM wasn’t made for WvW? This is already getting old… The players turned EotM on what it is today, not Anet.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

How about we stop pretending EotM wasn’t made for WvW? This is already getting old… The players turned EotM on what it is today, not Anet.

It doesn’t change the fact it’s still a pve map. It has nothing to do with www, even if it’s not what anet planned.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

How do you figure that? It’s their product. They are responsible for how it is utilized. They made it in such a way that it begs to be a karma/level farm. Maybe if it had any impact whatsoever on the wvw scores… But it doesn’t. The best you can hope for is to meet a guild from a different tier for a gvg.

BG

in WvW

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

God no. Keeping WvW maps queued because they added some PvE for the WB trainers would make it very difficult for us to rally if we’re map hopping. I’m all for more rewards for WvW, but not through PvE. I don’t go to WvW to PvE.

A lot of the “buffs” you listed would be ridiculously OP, too, and I can only imagine the QQ we’d get if we kept rolling over PvE zergs trying to do a world boss in WvW. WvW is for fighting players, not mobs. The Overgrown Grub is bad enough.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Add random chest spawn in EotM. 5 min earlier system would tell where chest spawn and then all zergs run there and fight until somebody can open in. It would take 30 sec open and taking damage would interrupt oppening. Of course loot should be at least ascended gear.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Add random chest spawn in EotM. 5 min earlier system would tell where chest spawn and then all zergs run there and fight until somebody can open in. It would take 30 sec open and taking damage would interrupt oppening. Of course loot should be at least ascended gear.

This remind me of ol’ Gurubashi Arena... Except that it was FFA in there.

in WvW

johnsonade.9547

if they implement it as a meta event connected with defense and outnumbered buff or difficult situations where an enemy server captured their keep for over 1 hour should be good .

wvw has some situations where the good performance ( or coverage ) form a server may block the wiliness of enemy servers to play in a matchup .

high level bosses can help replace the coverage problem in defense for the outnumbered servers and give more challenge to the servers with better performance and better rewards too. so outnumbered defenders win some time that maybe be crucial or a chance to keep the gar/keep and attackers will have better loot if they win … 2 gains in 1 bad situation

p.s. some nights i wished i had the option when i defended alone a t3 keep against a blob , to have the option to pay to replace the 82 lvl lord with lyssa and her mad gorillaz

Man, Bubbles the gorilla would wreck in a keep hahaha. Lyssa’s upscaled minions were such a challenge. I dunno if I’d make them as strong as they are in PvE but it would be pretty cool if you had no defenders and a powerhouse zerg was on it’s way to inner Bay, but then lyssa’s priestess showed up with some undead chums to help out. If we got like a grenth boss, having a buff that gave a chance of spawning a necro shadow when hit would be so sweet.

No. and Hell No. Anet tried to bring more PvE to WvW and we players ignored it. We still mostly ignore the grub too so long as there are fights and PPT to work on.

Are you seriously bringing up Grub? The only buff you get is more wxp. With champion spider the only thing you get is a champion bag right? That’s PvE in WvW and it’s just flavor, nothing significant. There’s no point in fighting those champs in WvW unless you’re shut out of a matchup or have nothing else to do. Don’t get blinded by the topic title and let blind hate guide your opinion. Whatever is added, it doesn’t have to be about loot or a karma farm. That’s EotM’s problem now and it’s catch 22 since in order to get ppl interested in EotM, Anet had to make it so you can get decent loot.

What I’m talking about is, and let me make this perfectly clear: Bolstering everyone that spends time in WvW. Whether you are on a strong server or a weak one, I want people to be able to do things that can generate gold (food meta is expensive as well as armor, weapons and siege), create excitement in matchups no matter how skewed, put some great and useful tools in WvW, and boost their PPT. The last time my server was matched up against T1, I think they had about 3-4 times the points we did and that was late in the matchup. When we showed up in force, we were shut down. If your average wvw’er looked at that score, they wouldn’t even queue up. That was me, and I know I didn’t queue up after a while and a lot of my friends didn’t either.

I could keep arguing points but it’s useless. At the end of the day, even if 1/10th of the ideas posted here were used or were somehow morphed in to something much better, I’d be happy. If everyone’s happy with WvW as it is, then no big. But if some kind of change is needed to make things fresh, I’m going to brainstorm right along with you.

in WvW

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I agree that we do not need more PVE bosses in WvW, but Ive always thought it would be interesting if they mixed up the tower and keep lords a little. Why do they all have to be human NPCs with the exact same fight mechanics? It’s an area where they could add a little diversity and flavor without drawing away from the true appeal of WvW (beating on enemy players).

They could even add in new tower/keep lords as part of upgrading the objective. A T1 Tower has the standard keep lord, but a T3 has a powerful elementalist or empowered boss.

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Are you seriously bringing up Grub?

Nope. Scarlet’s Toxic mobs.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in WvW

johnsonade.9547

Are you seriously bringing up Grub?

Nope. Scarlet’s Toxic mobs.

At this point I don’t even think you’re actually reading. What do scarlet’s toxic mobs have to do with gaining buffs you can use in WvW to help you accomplish WvW goals? Really? I mean I don’t try to feed trolls but you’re not helping with actual criticism. Take your No’s and hell No’s out of the thread or come up with something better. I know PvPer’s are combative but you’re not doing anyone a favor here.

in WvW

Posted by: xGraver.4918

xGraver.4918

Whats the point of bringing Pve stuff in WvW ? to get more ppl in there they wont fight each othere. They will just wait in turn and try to hit ony pve stuff just o get there loot bags or chest or what ever kitten.

WvW need more WvW not PvE stuff plz go away and stop killing the last good but mostly dead game mode this game has.

PS did not read dont care about your PVE stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Honestly I could see some sort of impemention of a world boss, but not in WvW.

You know how worlds get bonus’ based off WvW for crafting and such. Maybe have a specific boss spawn in a PvE map, based off of WvW points and such.

I do not like the idea of more pve being put into wvw, because yes it will draw more PvE players to wvw, but only for that boss, then they will leave right after it’s dead. However basing a server’s points and bonus’ into also including a special boss spawn each week in a PvE map, might give a new thing to WvW in the weekly view which could bring in more people to WvW.

Though there are many more things ANet needs to do to amp WvW up.
ANet should look to placing the orbs back into the game, however have the orbs of power be changed to not include the buff they once had, though make the orbs worth a set amount of points.

ANet could also make taking towers/keeps/camps, and defending worth more WXP/EXP/Gold as well to up the rewards for players to come into WvW.

Right now, what is driving a lot of people to ignore WvW is a multitude of things.(Rewards/maps/Players/ect…)
ANet, it would be nice, to see some sort of “talks” with WvW players of all servers then see some sort of action plan put in place for bettering WvW.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Reborn.2934

Whats the point of bringing Pve stuff in WvW ? to get more ppl in there they wont fight each othere. They will just wait in turn and try to hit ony pve stuff just o get there loot bags or chest or what ever kitten.

WvW need more WvW not PvE stuff plz go away and stop killing the last good but mostly dead game mode this game has.

but wvw already has pve content . some times good pve content like eb’s 3 zones that are involving with near camps and some times stupid pve content like grub , henry and the skirt/centaur areas.

also all towers/keeps have npc all over the place . sentries captured from npc too …

in the bold text you are asking for more wvw content , this means you want more npc too

in WvW

johnsonade.9547

Honestly I could see some sort of impemention of a world boss, but not in WvW.

You know how worlds get bonus’ based off WvW for crafting and such. Maybe have a specific boss spawn in a PvE map, based off of WvW points and such.

I do not like the idea of more pve being put into wvw, because yes it will draw more PvE players to wvw, but only for that boss, then they will leave right after it’s dead. However basing a server’s points and bonus’ into also including a special boss spawn each week in a PvE map, might give a new thing to WvW in the weekly view which could bring in more people to WvW.

Though there are many more things ANet needs to do to amp WvW up.
ANet should look to placing the orbs back into the game, however have the orbs of power be changed to not include the buff they once had, though make the orbs worth a set amount of points.

ANet could also make taking towers/keeps/camps, and defending worth more WXP/EXP/Gold as well to up the rewards for players to come into WvW.

Right now, what is driving a lot of people to ignore WvW is a multitude of things.(Rewards/maps/Players/ect…)
ANet, it would be nice, to see some sort of “talks” with WvW players of all servers then see some sort of action plan put in place for bettering WvW.

I wouldn’t be opposed to anything that you’ve come up with. I mean we go to PvE for a lot of things we need and bring them to WvW, why not the other way around and have events in PvE that will be favorable to WvW? Thing is though that all servers would do that, I think… but I’m cool with whichever way brings more ppl to wvw and keeps them from getting bored or feeling overwhelmed. At this point though I’m honestly regretting that I put World Boss in the title since what everyone associates that with is loot. The actual mechanics of fighting bosses are fun and add a little more variety to the typical camp you flip or keep lord you take on. If all you got was a great buff that would help you in wvw for specific purposes or a lot more points for your server, I’d be happy. I don’t need loot or AP, but I do want a way for WvW’ers to earn gold that’s not typical to PvE. That might have to be for another thread though since any mention of loot seems like a death knell for this idea.

in WvW

Reborn.2934

….

but I’m cool with whichever way brings more ppl to wvw and keeps them from getting bored or feeling overwhelmed. At this point though I’m honestly regretting that I put World Boss in the title since what everyone associates that with is loot. The actual mechanics of fighting bosses are fun and add a little more variety to the typical camp you flip or keep lord you take on. If all you got was a great buff that would help you in wvw for specific purposes or a lot more points for your server, I’d be happy. I don’t need loot or AP, but I do want a way for WvW’ers to earn gold that’s not typical to PvE. That might have to be for another thread though since any mention of loot seems like a death knell for this idea.

there are many other things in-game that can be associated with wvw bosses except gold like tournament tokens , guild influence , xp and trait skills .

a wvw player need to leave the wvw maps to do karka queen if he want to earn the last trait in defense line ( important for every wvw build ) if he don’t want to pay with gold .

none of wvw players that i know will had a problem if there was a mechanism to accomplish this mission ( killing karka queen ) in a 3 way war between all servers in a matchup …. the better server / guild that will succeed to kill the karka will win the reward , the trait title ,the fun of fight and the feeling of winner of the accomplished mission … the other 2 servers will win the fun of the fight and a message for them that they will try harder next time if they want to have rewards .

many mmos with pvp are using bosses to create content from players . why gw2 don’t want use the bosses for this propose is something that i can not answer

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

but wvw already has pve content . some times good pve content like eb’s 3 zones that are involving with near camps and some times stupid pve content like grub , henry and the skirt/centaur areas.

also all towers/keeps have npc all over the place . sentries captured from npc too …

in the bold text you are asking for more wvw content , this means you want more npc too

Or more siege, which is another thing people frown upon…

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

At this point I would be excited if they added a single tree to WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Battlerobot.9461

Battlerobot.9461

Emm the wp you need to wp back cause you just got your sorry behind ganked is PvE, that wall that you ran into and the gate that hit you in the behind is PvE… The keep walls, the Tower terraces and the dolyaks’ behinds that you hide under are PvE. The camp sups, tower and smc lords are PvE. The Lords are probably the most visible thing during a full on brawl, he’s PvE, don’t attack him n don’t stand in the circle cause they are PvE…

in WvW

Posted by: Battlerobot.9461

Battlerobot.9461

DUDE Reborn wouldn’t that be something, a 3 way brawl for control of SMC… the Lord is dead and we clawing for the circle…all of a sudden BAM KAKA RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE…what DO you DO…WHAT DO U DO????

in WvW

Offair.2563

I agree that we do not need more PVE bosses in WvW, but Ive always thought it would be interesting if they mixed up the tower and keep lords a little. Why do they all have to be human NPCs with the exact same fight mechanics? It’s an area where they could add a little diversity and flavor without drawing away from the true appeal of WvW (beating on enemy players).

They could even add in new tower/keep lords as part of upgrading the objective. A T1 Tower has the standard keep lord, but a T3 has a powerful elementalist or empowered boss.

This is not a bad idea at all. Randomly change the tower/keep lords with different mechanics. They are already there so that way we dont get more PvE in this mode but a different approach ( hopefully ).