major changes to commander?

in WvW

Posted by: wxoxw.8531

wxoxw.8531

Q:

I am aware most have these points have been raised before but i think a couple of my suggestions are new.(join squad button for all)!

There has been talk about commanders and how they are chosen.
The way it seems to work at the moment is,only one commander allowed per map.
which makes zerging the default tactic
I do not believe this is how ANET wanted WVWVW to be fought.
my suggestion is ALL players have a join squad button,if anyone can get 5/10/15???
people to follow them they get a commanders badge on the map.
The badge could vary in size/shape/shade to signify size of group maybe age of group guild even.
Ok here is a major change the badge could signify what the group is doing,
i.e moving supply,flipping camps etc etc.
Yes there could be several badges on the map at one time but that’s the point,different organized groups doing all the different jobs/activities that need doing.
good and bad reputations would be made and lost,people would truly get to “Play wvwvw how they want” with the leader they choose.

Not everyone will agree but please make this a discussion not and argument for no change.

(edited by wxoxw.8531)

in WvW

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

First off, commanders aren’t chosen and you can have as many as you want on a map. And anyone can buy the commander tag for 100g.

Your suggestion sounds like a decent idea, but it needs something to keep it from being a mess of everyone trying to be a squad leader. I think it should still have a cost, but nothing like the 100g a commander tag takes. Maybe have it purchasable with badges or through wvw abilities.

Having map tags for small teams without a commander would be nice, especially for commanders running a multi-team map vs a single zerg. The biggest hurdle would be getting people to actually join and use the squads, but that might work better with your idea since the icon itself changes with squad size. I rarely join squads right because joining one commander totally hides the others’ icons. I think for any multi-tag/commander system every icon should remain visible to all players, but have a different color for the squad you are a member of.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

in WvW

wxoxw.8531

I dissagree with payment as it is decisive imo.

If everyone had a join squad badge people would soon find the people they want to follow.

Reputations would build for good or bad,everyone may want to be a leader but the people would choose who gets and keeps the badge.

there would have to be some kind of persistent reputation based effect to the badges,so that successful commanders can rejoin wvwvw with a badge if they choose too,this could diminish or strengthen over time depending on followers and/or time spent leading.

(edited by wxoxw.8531)

in WvW

Posted by: taikerr.6205

taikerr.6205

Nothing to comment on the other stuff because it might be more complicated and makes a cluster kitten of a map, BUT I like the idea about review ranking or some sort of rating that people can choose…because sometimes you get those troll commanders that are not being productive at all.

I would rather have some sort of hud that tells me more details of structures and camps from other maps or just in the same map. Relying on other players to scout is a really problem sometimes.

in WvW

Posted by: taikerr.6205

taikerr.6205

Also, maybe have join on squad do certain things in the presence of the commander like giving extra bonuses and/or wxp.

The join on squad has a cap at 30 which might make it better to have two 30-man zergs then just 1 mega zerg because you’re not getting the full benefit if you are not able to join a commander tag. This makes sure that if there is multiple commanders on the map people don’t get confused and the commanders can cooperate with each other without being in the same party to see where each other is at.

This might even benefit to have 1 commander for the melee train and the other commander for the ranged dps players. Tactically it can keep large groups organized.

in WvW

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

First off, commanders aren’t chosen and you can have as many as you want on a map. And anyone can buy the commander tag for 100g.

True, but as it stands right now, it’s often the status quo for new Commanders or would-be Commanders to defer authority to more seasoned Commanders with greater history of success in leading. So yes, while everyone can simply buy the badge, it doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily have a decent following. Except maybe by pugs newer to the WvW scene who don’t know any better. One must prove oneself and build a reputation.

I actually support the idea of having multiple badges active on a map. All different in appearance based on the activity that Commander’s group is performing. Maybe I don’t wanna karma train today. Maybe I wanna keep tabs on that other Commander whom I’m across the other side of the map from and we’re coordinating simultaneous solo-camp steals.

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

in WvW

wxoxw.8531

This!!!

KStudios.2850
Maybe I wanna keep tabs on that other Commander whom I’m across the other side of the map from and we’re coordinating simultaneous solo-camp steals.etc etc

Great replies i hope we can develope these ideas to a stage anet can get involved.

in WvW

Posted by: Zephaust Zenith.8376

Zephaust Zenith.8376

This has been discussed before and the current mentality on my realm is like that – only one active commander tag per map or chat becomes a whinefest.

This makes me think, most commanders can only “play” with one big zerg/blob behind their back and competition ruins their status quo or it gets too confusing or something. Enter the silent tag’ed GvX’s groups which prove the opposite where multiple groups of ppl work “together” making map coverage and attack/defense counters much more effective than one big group.

To me, even with the current system, it’s way more effective to have 2 or 3 tag’ed groups with equal or different player numbers, with different objectives which can and should join forces when necessary but have higher mobility and response time than just one big group.

We basically need more group chat / tag options and i’d definitively endorse the introduction of W³ tags only or/and reputation system.

But, i tried discussing this ingame in a friendly tone together with the topic of “exclusion” of players if they are not on TS and been “threatned” to be blocked since, well, i didn’t fully agree with their opinions – community @ work… go figure.

in WvW

Posted by: Stryker Ace.4708

Stryker Ace.4708

Focusing on changing commander tags or providing more tag types is ridiculous.

If you guys need changes to the Commander Tag or the fact that you need one implies you may not have good commanders, you have lazy commanders(run around, but don’t communicate much), or your WvWvW server community is disorganized and/or you are not on the server voice comm. Best commanders go tagless and the players know who they are and know how to keep up. New players worth anything will quickly adjust and figure this out align themselves with the right “commanders”.

The only things ANET should be working on in WvWvW is the game bugs, server lag, and Designing Maps specific to each server.

in WvW

Posted by: Maelwaedd.5842

Maelwaedd.5842

I think what you will find is alot of guilds would like their commander tag to be seen by their guild only

if needed they can then be able to pop their tag so everyone on the map can see it

i do like the idea of different tag symbols to denote different play styles maybe something that wxp can be spent on to upgrade you commander tag

Maelwaedd Sylvari Necromancer Blackgate
Resonance WvW Officer
http://resonancegaming.com.au

in WvW

wxoxw.8531

Good points
I think guild badges would come under this system very easily as the type of badge displayed would be chosen by the leader and the type of badge/activities chosen by the followers.
The upcoming changes to wvwvw that ANET are making would fit in nicely with most of the suggestions.
ANET seem to want a more tactical way,closer to the tactics of a common war setting
I.e guarding /patrolling/scouting/commando missions/seige laying and operation/camp flipping and a mass attack (zerg) occasionally.
with a flexible system like i suggest (all players have Join Squad
button),these various tasks could start and stop in a free and fluid way,then move on to a different task or disperse into other groups instantly.

(edited by wxoxw.8531)

in WvW

wxoxw.8531

Thanks for the contributions so far.

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

“by the end of the year” is what Devon has said. Let’s hope they take into account some of the features the community wants from an improved commander system rather than having thier own little brainstorm completely unrelated to what we really need.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

“by the end of the year” is what Devon has said. Let’s hope they take into account some of the features the community wants from an improved commander system rather than having thier own little brainstorm completely unrelated to what we really need.

I dont think devon ever stated the commander UI would be updated by the end of the year, but I do know he said its one of the priorities of the UI team, Commander icons and what they will be able to do, That and kicking ppl out of your party when they go off line xD

Edit: The UI team was mostly working on the new AP, Wallet, and the upcoming LFG system earlier this year, Hopefully commanders and guild related things are next <:

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Could do something similar to planet side 2 where only people in the squad can see the icon and there is a squad join screen. Anyone would be able to be a commander but if only Ur squad could see or hear you wouldn’t matter if the was 30 commanders on a map it would still work

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

wxoxw.8531

I would like more information and choice of commander on the map not less personally.
the “One commander per map” unwritten rule needs to go tbh.

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

I personally welcome more commander tags than less. Doing that allows us to coordinate tactics on a map that aren’t possible with a single tag. Commander tags should be easy to obtain but not too easy, hence the 100g works fine. You quickly learn who is a good tag and who isn’t. You don’t need ANET to decide for you if you want to follow someone. If noone follows your tag you’ll get the hint.

That said the commander system we have is fairly barebones. I wouldn’t mind some improvements:
Increase the supplyinfo command’s range to 1200. Let me better plan for what I need

Potentially add a UI addition that shows current supply at all times within this range (update every 5 second or 10 seconds if it’s intensive).

Show location of allied forces on the map at all times. -Let me know where my friends are. Currently I may see orange swords on the map and assume it’s an enemy force until o hey it’s some other guild that was running tagless on our side. If i know they’re there i can back em up or split up to somewhere else.

Beyond that anet surprise me.

Little red Lioka