more competitive wvw.. maybe.

in WvW

Posted by: urghka.2693

urghka.2693

Seems to me, two of the biggest gripes about WvW currently, is coverage imbalance and (for the upper tiers) Q times.
So I tried to think of some solutions – The one i keep coming back to is “creating pairings”. Basically take the top tier server and “pair” it with the lowest tier server, second highest gets paired with second lowest.. etc. (obviously for EU it would’nt work as well, as they have an odd number but, if folks like the idea perhaps Anet could come up with a solution for that.)

How it would work – instead of 3 servers being matched up fighting on 4 maps. It would be 3 “pairings” (6 servers) fighting over 2 map grouping (8 maps). The winners being the pair with the highest combined total of both map groupings.

One of the biggest gripes to this solution would be higher tiers creating Q’s on the lower tier maps. But, if Anet gives priority to those that Q for their “home” map grouping. That could be alleviated – *example: All 8 maps have Q’s and, you just Q’d for your “home” map grouping but, there are 12 people from the other “home” map grouping already Q’d.. you’d get priority and go to the top of the list.

Just a thought.. maybe it would work.. maybe not.

in WvW

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

The concept of factions based on color or just pairings where high and low pop servers coordinate was brought up in the collaborative thread. I like the idea as it expands access for the queued upper tier forces and provides a needed boost of forces to the lower tier servers. I would prefer the faction over the pairings so that a guild could move throughout every tier for a match as long as the there was room for them. We could make many new friends and allies and based on rotation of matches we could end up getting to know a much broader segment of the population.

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

This does make a quirky kind of sense. Low tier servers have high quality players just like higher tier, just the number of them and the coverage skews it all.
This would certainly give a lot of swing power to the mid-tier servers as well, especially in prime-time.

I don’t care for fixing the queue though, it’s only a problem in the top 4 on any night other than Friday.

in WvW

Posted by: urghka.2693

urghka.2693

Nice to hear this was brought up before. I guess i was late to the party on the collaborative thread.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I see 2 problems with the “pairing” system, and have not come to any ideas as to how to address the 2 problems or even lessen their impact (compromise).

Inevitably, sooner or later, you end up with a high tier prime time server, paired up with a low tier prime time server due to matches being lost / won.

This leads to:

1. Coverage gap not being solved, and indeed made even worse as the now super stacked prime time “pair” will be going up against another pair which will not have coverage gap.

2. The ques on the stacked prime time pair will become extreme, lessened to an extent via the new map, but primary wvw will take a huge hit as the communities take a long time to get together and set-up and cooperate, to play with each other.

So pairing will not work unless it adresses coverage gap and the community issue. And the only way I could ever see coverage gap being solved in the pairing scenario is if the EU and NA servers were the “paired” ones, but that would require immense infrastructure changes both software and hardware through the entire game, and A-net already stated that is unfortunately out of the question. Not feasible.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF