no collision?

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: rejndjer.3172

rejndjer.3172

First i’d like to apologize if this had been discussed before, i’m new to these forums

I really like all forms of massive pvp in mmos, it started when i played WAR, rvr there really took me. WvW here is in most aspects even better, but some things bug me.

Why is there no collision at least in WvW? I understand it can be problem in PvE with crowded cities like LA, but collision in any massive pvp should be gameplay element. Just think how much more would sieges be epic, if instead of zerg steamrolling everything ones the doors of keep go down, there’s a shieldwall of warriors/guardians there to stop them. It would also unable blobbing.

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: Mepheles.2087

Mepheles.2087

There should be collision for everything, unless it’s turned off in settings.

Gates of Madness

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

First i’d like to apologize if this had been discussed before, i’m new to these forums

I really like all forms of massive pvp in mmos, it started when i played WAR, rvr there really took me. WvW here is in most aspects even better, but some things bug me.

Why is there no collision at least in WvW? I understand it can be problem in PvE with crowded cities like LA, but collision in any massive pvp should be gameplay element. Just think how much more would sieges be epic, if instead of zerg steamrolling everything ones the doors of keep go down, there’s a shieldwall of warriors/guardians there to stop them. It would also unable blobbing.

While it would be awesome I see 2 things here:

1) The system is probably not written for their current engine so its not something we should ever expect to see.

2) Is collision for all things? If so whats to stop people from griefing their team by creating human walls to stop the people behind them. This also handicaps melee as there are only so many targets you can get to before extra people are literally useless. If collision only works against enemies I think youll find that 2 lines will basically form with people blobbed on top of eachother trying to be able to get into combat, in which case why is body blocking on anyway.

Cool concept and would add good immersion – just wont work with fights of 50v50.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Maybe it would diminish the need for 50v50 fights. Allowing guilds to split up and cause more chaos on the battlefield. Would potentially better small man combat and give many skills new purpose. I totally love the idea however I would be willing to bet the engine isn’t coded for it.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

player collision or body blocking would lead to intolerable levels of griefing.

also, the performance hit would make the current skill lag seem like nothing.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: Roy.7405

Roy.7405

The predominant reason is simply because the server wouldn’t be able to handle the number of calculations necessary in such a short amount of time. GW1 had body-blocking (aka collision detection) and it worked pretty well with no griefing. However, the most players involved in a single fight at a time were 24 in AB under rare circumstances (plus minions, etc; although I think HoH had a 36 person arena at some point). Expanded into GW2’s WvW and PvE with numbers in the 100’s, the game would be unplayable. It would also likely require all of the game’s AI to be modified and rewritten.

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Another thing is the lack of dedicated healers. That attempted body-block would turn into a pile of melted heavy armor in seconds with a coordinated AoE burst. The lack of ability to dodge or use mobility to avoid damage makes the technique worthless in this game. Then there’s things like: would stability allow you to bypass collision? would it be possible to bypass with stealth or teleports? if not it’s very OP, if so it’s too easily countered to matter.

Try having a group of guardians and elementalists lay down CC in rotation, along with other classes using the boon stripping skills available to them. It takes much more coordination than “hey heavies, stand in the choke and don’t die” but if you can pull it off you can effectively block a choke point.

Also, more server laaaaag? No thanks.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

no collision?

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

There is collision with NPCs.

It would improve defending sooo much. And like we don’t deal with silly lag already? What’s a tick more of lag?