so the answer is locking all debate down about night capping

in WvW

Posted by: Ignicity.7938

Ignicity.7938

I still believe the winner could be the one with the best brain. That is if you use that brain to organize a “UN”.

Who here thinks WWII was just between the USA and Germany? Pretty sure allies were involved.

Oh wait, this is a game and I shouldn’t compare PvP to RL, my bad. It isn’t about server dominance, it’s about having fun with rainbows and unicorns

\ig-nis-i-tee\
Ignicity – 80 Necromancer
Unreal Aussies [uA] – Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Aletheides.5693

Aletheides.5693

So the answer is starting another whine thread? In eve the devs will tell you.

“if it makes you angry – build and army and crush them”

The EvE devs also implemented game mechanics that makes it impossible for small off peak populations to steamroll the map and win the war. Reinforcement anyone?

In eve skill and strategy matters. in Gw2 it doesn’t as it stands today. All you need is 10 people to PvDoor at off peak hours and you autowin. All other battles are meaningless.

in WvW

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

I still believe the winner could be the one with the best brain. That is if you use that brain to organize a “UN”.

Who here thinks WWII was just between the USA and Germany? Pretty sure allies were involved.

Oh wait, this is a game and I shouldn’t compare PvP to RL, my bad. It isn’t about server dominance, it’s about having fun with rainbows and unicorns

Right, but I was looking for a game where my brain was supposed to be used for things like strategy and tactics, not international diplomacy. Also a game in which I could have fun while actually playing it instead of winning/losing it due to out-of-game metagame events like intercontinental guild alliances. Not to mention how boring it is to have a 7 (or 14) days matchup whose winner is painfully obvious after 48 hours at most, and often you know who’s going to win 1 second after matchup starts just by reading server names.

Like I said, nothing inherently bad about this design, but they should have sold it for what it was, not a “casual mass pvp game mode”.

in WvW

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

@Tito- Then it simply requires more effort. How do winning servers do it? It’s not impossible.

Or rather

“waaaah, they’re playing different times than me in a 24/7 battle. They MUST BE BOOOTED”

The oceanic players have organized themselfes on some servers even before GW2 launched, as have the Rp’ers, the south americans,… you just can’t persuade them to change servers now.
The situation right now in WvW is just frustating for both the winning and the loosing side, there is no skill/tactics involved and therefore no challenge that makes fun.
Like i already said, the only solution to the problem are asian/oceanic servers and free character-transfers to those.

in WvW

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

A response like all is fair in war doesn’t cut it. This is a game after all that was purported to be fun not a war. Guess what, night capping and the lack of competition outside of the first two days of rotation will eventually lead you war to a ghost town in WvW.

Anet may want to capture the RvR that was loved in Daoc, but it’s not 2005 and your playerbase has a much different mindset now. If it doesn’t keep long time MMO players and new players alike engaged with heavy competition and real fun, the “war” that isn’t fair will happen elsewhere because frankly putting effort in to beat a server that is last place and just waiting for Monday night server reset to cap the map is not fun, not competitive and frankly no where near what this aspect of the game could be in rvr.

Many people play this game for the pvp. If that isn’t truely fun and competitive then all will be fair in those that move on. I’d prefer outside the box thinking that pushes this game to a fruitful, long lasting ending.

in WvW

Ignicity.7938

@MagnusLL

I understand that you don’t want to use your oversized behemoth monstrosity of a brain for international diplomacy.

But just think if you did; after all of the initial diplomacy, recruiting and arranging 24 hour competitive coverage was done, you could sit back and let your extraordinary pink matter work on the things that you think matter to it, like strategy and tactics.

\ig-nis-i-tee\

in WvW

Posted by: Aletheides.5693

Aletheides.5693

A response like all is fair in war doesn’t cut it. This is a game after all that was purported to be fun not a war. Guess what, night capping and the lack of competition outside of the first two days of rotation will eventually lead you war to a ghost town in WvW.

Anet may want to capture the RvR that was loved in Daoc, but it’s not 2005 and your playerbase has a much different mindset now. If it doesn’t keep long time MMO players and new players alike engaged with heavy competition and real fun, the “war” that isn’t fair will happen elsewhere because frankly putting effort in to beat a server that is last place and just waiting for Monday night server reset to cap the map is not fun, not competitive and frankly no where near what this aspect of the game could be in rvr.

Many people play this game for the pvp. If that isn’t truely fun and competitive then all will be fair in those that move on. I’d prefer outside the box thinking that pushes this game to a fruitful, long lasting ending.

Indeed. And in real war you cheat as much as you can to win cus your lives and possibly the lives of your loved ones depend on it. Exploiting is what wins real wars. A controlled game environment cant compare.

Lets ban nuclear weapons, the tank and machineguns! Oh wait….

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

@MagnusLL

I understand that you don’t want to use your oversized behemoth monstrosity of a brain for international diplomacy.

But just think if you did; after all of the initial diplomacy, recruiting and arranging 24 hour competitive coverage was done, you could sit back and let your extraordinary pink matter work on the things that you think matter to it, like strategy and tactics.

Or, I can just look for a better game.
Guess which choice has more likelyhood to get better results?

Also, I don’t understand the hate. Never said this game design is “bad”, in fact I stated the contrary. It’s simply not fun to me. I do not WANT to start doing all the “UN meeting” stuff. I come from other MMOs where I’m guild and raid leader and it’s plenty enough for me; I’ve had enough drama to last 10 lifetimes, I don’t want to bother about that s..t anymore.
I thought (and I was led to believe) I could avoid that c..p in here, turns out it’s even more critical than in your usual raid-gear-threadmill MMO; now you can’t even stop at “just” having a guild, you actually need a huge alliance with thousands of players around the world logging in 24/7… It’s just not my thing anymore. I want to login, have some fun, and for once… just for once… play a game in which the winner isn’t whoever brought most friends or grinded longer or has the fastest twitch skills. Guess I’m in a tiny minority and no one will ever bother building an MMO for the likes of me… ah well, there’s always single player games I guess.

in WvW

Posted by: Mine Laces.7108

Mine Laces.7108

Hi Everyone,

All is fair in love and war – and as love, WvW is a battlefield.
There are exploits, I’ll give you that – but then there is coordinated effort to ensure your world or your team uses each and every resource they have to their advantage.

War is not fair, war is not pretty, war gets out the worst in us – and the best – and even if we have excluded open world pvp from the rest of the game, this is exactly what happens on the WvW maps: It is the ‘playground’ for strategists and great tacticians, it is the place for coordinated efforts and mean ideas in the middle of the night.

Night capping is one of those valid tactics to score some points in a lasting battle – to get your world the upper hand, or cancel out daytime supremacy by another well coordinated opponent.

As Guild Wars 2 will progress in time, so will world vs. world and core gameplay mechanics. But for now, night capping is one valid possibility to ruin your enemie’s days – pun intended.

I’m really sad to read this and IMHO is the most stupid argument i read about the “issue”.
Stop comparing WvW to war , in war you have opponents , in night capping WvW you have not , you are just pveing in a “supposed to be” rvr zone .
If you guys at arenanet can’t understand it you’ll be probably surprised when people will get bored about the game because all their efforts are nullified by 50 people playing at 5 am .
I already have almost all my guild , included me , avoiding WvW just because of nightcapping , all grow up men coming from DaoC , accepting the situation but being disgusted by it .
Can’t see all of us playing for long time if things don’t change.

“Smashing doors at 5am … fun fun fun fun fun” Rebecca Black

in WvW

Posted by: Hix.8925

Hix.8925

It’s painfully obvious what is going to happen to WvW in the long run and you can already see it happening.
If you are a serious WvWer you want to be on a competitive server. The minimum characteristic of competitive servers is “full queue 24/7” which means that your server is never outnumbered. Anything less than that means you have already guaranteed that you will never be on a top ranked server. If you are a serious WvWer you are not going to transfer to a server that does not have that minimum requirement. So in other words people are greatly incentivized to transfer to already full servers, because anything else means that no matter how good you are at WvW, you can’t win.

Meanwhile, non-full servers will continually bleed population, because some of their population will be hopping to minimum competitive servers, and others will get tired of losing and quit the game outright. I would guess that as time goes own and huge pop servers become bigger and bigger, and queue times longer and longer, more people are dying servers will opt to quit than to transfer.

Eventually all the WvW population will be concentrated in a few servers that will all have insanely long queues. All other servers will be WvW ghost towns. And a TON of population will simply evaporate and playing a different game.

in WvW

Ignicity.7938

@MagnusLL

Sorry mate. I didn’t mean to come off sounding like I was hating on you. I fully appreciate where you’re coming from.

I was just attempting to playfully show you that there is some light at the end of the tunnel

\ig-nis-i-tee\

in WvW

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Im sorry all you folks out here saying well I didn’t join a war I play to have fun…

Well your having fun when your on aren’t you? your sieging having epic fights etc etc.

Thats fun.

What your complaining about is losing, if your playing to win guess what wvwvw is not for you if your casual, sorry thats just how it is. Accept it and have fun pvping in wvwvw when you do play or leave the game and dont play wvwvw.

Its as simple as that.

WvWvW is a war, an in game war, its not meant to be fair hence why its 3 servers fighting. And maps aren’t undefended at night, some are just extremely weak and cant function without their leadership holding their hand. Thats where you fail. Same with day time fights before primetime.

Its valid to 2v1 someone to secure victory, its also valid to take advantage of a weaker night time force to stop out their advancement and make it harder for them.

in WvW

Namu.5712

Want fair? spvp or pve.

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

@MagnusLL

Sorry mate. I didn’t mean to come off sounding like I was hating on you. I fully appreciate where you’re coming from.

I was just attempting to playfully show you that there is some light at the end of the tunnel

No problems. However, I’d say there isn’t any light anyway. My personal likes/dislikes aside, this setup doesn’t work from a technical and metagame perspective either; all Anet is doing is to push all serious WvWers to concentrate on a very small number of servers, since as soon as your own server cannot guarantee at least 500 WvW players 24/7 it automatically guarantees a loss; and we can see right now that this bar is set extremely high, so much so that at the moment only the top server in NA (HoD) and EU (VS) can meet it.
So the likely metagame evolution is the emergence of a few megaservers (at least in WvW terms) while everywhere else WvW zones go deserted. Except that once this happens, those megaservers’ queues will be ludicrous. And you have to pray they come in multiples of 3 on every region, too…

in WvW

Hix.8925

Another thing is that making the game as war-like as possible is inherently bad for the game as a whole.

The reason why a game must be fair, while a war must not, is because the goal of the game is to have fun, which is a completely different motivation than why nations go to war. In a game, you want the losers to be able to say “well we lost this time, but maybe next time we’ll do better and win.” In war you want the losers to say “I am never going to fight against the winners again.” If the losers in the game end up with the mindset of the losers in a war, then the game dies. There is nothing that will kill WvW faster than the majority of the players to realize that the game is fixed against them and that they can never win, especially when the reason why they are losing is something so far beyond their control as “inability to create, literally, a worldwide army”.

Someone talked about SWTOR and Ilum. Ilum died specifically because of population imbalance. No matter what Bioware did to try to balance Ilum, it always came down to “Imperials have overwhelming numbers, Republic can’t leave the base.” Bioware never did anything to fix this core issue. When people realized that, Republic stopped going to Ilum. Do you think that Imperials celebrated this? Maybe for a day, before realizing that without Republic, there was nothing to do on Ilum. That’s exactly what’s going to happen in WvW if Anet sticks with this stance they have taken.

in WvW

Ignicity.7938

Actually, I thought Ilum died because it was a lag fest that couldn’t support rendering more than 50 players at once.

…and the fact that kill trading was going on, so they removed all incentive for going there apart from the PvE Dailies.

\ig-nis-i-tee\

in WvW

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

@hunTShoo – So your telling me that because my server can support 200 players 24/7 and yours cant, mine should be punished?

yes, as long there is a rating and a ranking behind.

the only “rating” and “ranking” involved is there to keep servers like henge from playing servers like kaineng.

It’s not so you can stroke your kitten, get over yourself. It’s only there so you can have some matches against servers around your servers skill level, so you aren’t spawn camped 100% of the time.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Diabolos.5493

Diabolos.5493

Just going to throw this out in the open. I find it hilarious that I can transfer to an average server that is losing WvW, pop a few siege golems, help take some Keeps, then I become the temporary god of the map and everyone bows before my greatness.

Just a crazy thought on my part, but maybe you all should spend more time figuring out how to use the resources available to you in WvW and less time complaining on the forums about night capping. I may be the odd one out when I say this, but I love waking up and having an entire map one color. This just means I can go around and take everything back and get XP, Money and Karma out the Kitten. I have never seen a server hold the night advantage during the day, so what exactly is the problem here?

I personally think the problem is that most people who post on here have ego’s the size of Texas. Let me guess, the second your server starts losing it is everyone’s fault but your own? Those darn Arena Net! If they were as awesome as me they would make WvW perfect like it should be. Now people become so blinded by anger that they fail to notice that the server having a lower score barely matters. You lose 1-2% of the buffs the winning server might have over you. Buffs which aren’t even that amazing from my experience, nice to have, but nothing to come on these forums and waste so much time QQing over.

I am not even sure why I took the time to sit here type this and post this. Maybe someone will read it and sit back for a second, take a deep breathe and realize that people like me are having no problem being on a losing server. Got to keep in mind, WvW doesn’t really give much of anything extra to the “Winning” side.

Hell, I go to WvW to PvP! Having my spawn camped is great! I have God Mode guards to hump and endless people to kill for the best Badge farming outside of doing all 4 PvP jump puzzles every day. I just do that until good old prime time rolls around then my losing server and the other losing server takes everything back… then night time rolls around, we lose it all, rinse repeat… oh the horror, how will I ever survive.. curse you Arena net! On that note, I am going to tab back in to game and go back to losing WvW and having fun while doing it.

(edited by Diabolos.5493)

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

@MagnusLL

Or, I can just look for a better game.
Guess which choice has more likelyhood to get better results?

Also, I don’t understand the hate. Never said this game design is “bad”, in fact I stated the contrary. It’s simply not fun to me. I do not WANT to start doing all the “UN meeting” stuff. I come from other MMOs where I’m guild and raid leader and it’s plenty enough for me; I’ve had enough drama to last 10 lifetimes, I don’t want to bother about that s..t anymore.
I thought (and I was led to believe) I could avoid that c..p in here, turns out it’s even more critical than in your usual raid-gear-threadmill MMO; now you can’t even stop at “just” having a guild, you actually need a huge alliance with thousands of players around the world logging in 24/7… It’s just not my thing anymore. I want to login, have some fun, and for once… just for once… play a game in which the winner isn’t whoever brought most friends or grinded longer or has the fastest twitch skills. Guess I’m in a tiny minority and no one will ever bother building an MMO for the likes of me… ah well, there’s always single player games I guess.

You could always play minecraft. it’s a fun game and sounds right up your alley.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: ginzo.8792

ginzo.8792

Hi Everyone,

There are exploits, I’ll give you that – but then there is coordinated effort to ensure your world or your team uses each and every resource they have to their advantage.

except we,re not fighting a war We.re PLAYING A COMPUTER GAME. and this response is actually shamefull from an ANET official. ive been in a real war where real people died and it’s NOTHING like your fecking game mister german community manager!!!!
for one thing you dont res at a convenient portal once your dead

have you experience of a real war ? if not i think you better re-think comparing anything to it except another real war.

i expect idiots to try to use the “its war” cop out , but someone employed by ANET? shameful sir

(edited by ginzo.8792)

in WvW

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Part of the game. Deal with it.
You want them to just turn off WvW? You know some people can only play at night. Some people work, or have lives. And people who have bought the game in asian countries wouldn’t have full access to the game either. Asian server’s aren’t out yet.

No, but you should earn significantly less points for easy captures when there are no defenders. This would help to alleviate this problem without telling people they can’t play.

in WvW

Hix.8925

People play games to win. You have created your own definition of winning (I’m going to cap some bases and consider myself a winner!) but that is not the definition of winning that the game itself, nor very many players, have of winning.

in WvW

Ignicity.7938

Hi Everyone,

except we,re not fighting a war We.re PLAYING A COMPUTER GAME. and this response is actually shamefull from an ANET official. ive been in a real war where real people died and it’s NOTHING like your fecking game mister german community manager!!!!

i expect idiots to try to use the “its war” cop out , but someone employed by ANET? shameful sir

Would you feel better if he said that WvWvW is like Paintball (a war like game)?

Geez, take a chill pill

\ig-nis-i-tee\

in WvW

ginzo.8792

yes that would be more suitable and less insulting

in WvW

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

Hi Everyone,

have you experience of a real war ? if not i think you better re-think comparing anything to it except another real war.

Somebody needs to step away from the keyboard and understand the concept of ‘context’.
There’s nothing shameful in the reply from ANet, but your reply shows issues.

The positive in this is that ANet understands and wants to promote the 24/7 battleground (oh noes, it’s not a real battle), and people complaining about it better get used to it as they had to in all the other games which featured something similar to this.

Stop obsessing about the scoreboard and play when you can play. If that’s not fun to you, and you want to win the scoreboard, well – choices are available to you.

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

yes that would be more suitable and less insulting

It’s a war game. That’s the whole point of wvw. heck there is even lore about it, reliving ancient battles etc.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

ginzo.8792

let me be clear i would have no issue with global 24/7 coverage if that was the norm. however since it’s only a select few serveres who have this currently ( a large portion of the french and spanish speaking servers with a few added international ones , then the rest are simply fodder when matched against them.

so either change to everyones on region free servers or only pair the 24/7 servers against each other. I’ve no objection to everyone playing all night as long as the ability to do so is equal. as it is half empty european servers would be better to en-masse move to an american server to give them a full night shift.
if the game is global then global servers should be the norm.

in WvW

Posted by: NoizeMaker.8367

NoizeMaker.8367

Night Capping is Day capping for the oceanic! Keep it inmind that these are NA/Oceanic server because Oceanic ISNT EU.

Commander Ovi Bell: 80 – Guardian
Commander Skigoboom: 80 – Engi
Protocol WvW Lead [PRO] Dragonbrand

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

Maybe someone will read it and sit back for a second, take a deep breathe and realize that people like me are having no problem being on a losing server. Got to keep in mind, WvW doesn’t really give much of anything extra to the “Winning” side.

Nothing to do with winning or losing. It has more to do with my actions being useless toward the final outcome. Our server won this week’s matchup, but it wasn’t due to anything I did (or did not), it was our night crew who gifted the game to us. Next week we’re back up in first bracket and will lose to VS’ night crew regardless of whatever I do.

I honestly cannot understand how anyone can defend a game design which results in:

A) 7(14) days matches whose final result everyone knows before they are even started
B) the in-game actions of the overwhelming majority of the players being completely irrelevant to the final outcome

I don’t like the current design for all the personal reasons I described in my previous posts, but to me, the two above design points are, objectively, major flaws and would be flaws in whatever game I considered.

in WvW

Posted by: Mollock.4091

Mollock.4091

I am going to tab back in to game and go back to losing WvW and having fun while doing it.

Agreed.

Too many people think that fun requires winning, when being in a losing server actually has at least two big advantages for fun: short queues and lots of available objectives to choose from.

On the other hand, 24/7 means 24/7. It doesn’t make sense to expect that an advantage obtained during a short prime-time period should hold for an entire day or week. If it would, WvW might as well be open only at prime-time on weekends.

in WvW

Posted by: Click.5123

Click.5123

I’m glad the response in this thread isn’t by an ANet dev, but only the German CM. Because if a dev had made those comments, I’d be seriously worried about the future of W v W in GW2…

Server hopping and night capping is one of the biggest problems currently plaguing W v W. It discourages servers without a dominant NA AM presence from even playing W vW because they’re so far behind in points and map coverage due to night capping. And if they do join, they’re constantly fighting an uphill battle. It’s not fun for anyone, whether it’s the dominating server or the server(s) being dominated.

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

I think we got our answer from ANet. It might be a good time to stop whining about “night capping”.

WvW is fun even as being casual. If you’re mostly playing on primetime best thing is just to ignore the scoreboard and focus on pew pew, as your participation to overall score is minor.

If you want to play competitive still, perhaps the best thing you can do is moving to a cross-Atlantic region and join one of the competitive servers to even their odds against their enemies with stronger night crew.

I have nothing against Oceanics. It just didn’t feel right where 50 man playing on a different timezone effecting score a lot more than 500 man playing on a different time zone. However if that’s how it will be, we should adjust our gaming style, or perhaps even better not to take WvW “that serious”.

I’m turning off “night capping” issue. And will tell my guild mates to chill-down and play WvW only for the fun it is.

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

in WvW

Namu.5712

If all you care about are points why even WvWvW?

If all you care about are points why not complain about 2v1? Its a legit strategy according to Anet and everyone else to use double the numbers to beat a server yet a server with a strong night presence isn’t allowed to fight at night to regain points?

That logic fails.

If you play the game to have fun then winning shouldn’t matter. Unless your only having fun if your winning.

I haven’t heard a single server say we have no good fights game is boring.

Right now on HoD its instant que every map… 6am my time… 450 a tick clearly we aren’t capped at night and clearly there is a presence from the other servers otherwise it would be maxed ticks.

You dont see oceanics complaining about day capping why they sleep/work do you? Get over yourselves NA players. Play the game have fun, if your so concerned with a score move servers shrug dont know what else to say.

(edited by Namu.5712)

in WvW

Posted by: Virchow.6043

Virchow.6043

I’m going to repost one of the most meaningful responses on the subject in the guru forums made by a longstanding PvPer that has always had my respect:

Vihar

HoD is the solution.

They should never have designated servers as EU or NA…that is the problem.

Also, far too many whiners and quitters in today’s MMO players.

They have no heart and no mental toughness. Just a bunch of mama’s boys.

They either quit when they are losing, or try to jump on the coattails of someone else’s success so they can pretend they are good, too.

You PVP for the joy of slaughter, not because of a scoreboard.

Suck it up.

It would seem that Anet has taken the bold stance that WvWvW is a setting not for those that love to win, but for those that love to fight.

Gut check time. Who are you?

in WvW

Kazim.2043

Play the game have fun, if your so concerned with a score move servers shrug dont know what else to say.

Well definitely WvW is hell amount of fun and yes your advice is correct. Me and my guildies will participate on WvW as a fun event.

in WvW

Posted by: Eliteseraph.4970

Eliteseraph.4970

What your complaining about is losing…

Perhaps some people are, but the larger issue is just as much about servers steamrolling and having nothing to do. That problem also stems from massive population imbalance during off hours.

This guy here understands and outlines the issue pretty well:

If you are a serious WvWer you want to be on a competitive server. The minimum characteristic of competitive servers is “full queue 24/7” which means that your server is never outnumbered.

I don’t know that having a queue 24/7 is a * minimum* requirement, but the point is that as long as you are on a server which is up against other servers with similar populations during ALL times of the day, you’re playing on a more of less equal standing. With the advantage of raw population more or less equallized, it’s actually up to the players to form strategy, out-think their opponents, and determine the outcome of WvW through their own efforts.

With a heavy population imbalance during the off hours, the opportunity and potential for strategy and tactics to make a difference is highly mitigated in both the small scale daily fights, and over the length of the entire match.

At what point is it considered flat out impossible for strategy and tactics to overcome population? 2v1? 5v1? 10v1? Anet says over time new strategies and tactics will be created to handle this. But what’s available to one is available to all, barring exploits.

This is the nature of the problem.

Absolute balance such as we see in sPVP is not needed. However, some system should be in place so that players who are on an under-populated server have a chance for their strategy and tactics to matter against an overwhelming zerg. Players who are on an over populated off-hours server should be equally entitled to having to use strategy and tactics instead of just beating down empty, or sparsely defended, gates.

Leaving the problem solely up to matchmaking is only going to result in polarizing the servers. There will be servers who are full with queues 24/7, and there will be servers with either continuing steamroll matches or with hardly anyone bothering with WvW at all.

If this is the intended result Anet is shooting for, then I guess it’s working. I don’t want to transfer, because all my friends play on the server I’m on. But I want to enjoy a truly competitive WvW experience where my actions can make a difference, and that means I’m going to eventually end up on a 24/7 server.

(edited by Eliteseraph.4970)

in WvW

Posted by: Cavalorn.8057

Cavalorn.8057

Want fair? spvp or pve.

This is not a fairness issue. This is a balance issue.

One has no place in game design. The other does.

in WvW

Posted by: Click.5123

Click.5123

Again, you people realize that’s not ANet’s stance on anything, right? The responses in this thread are the opinion of their German Community Manager. He’s not even an ANet developer.

As for points not mattering, then ANet should just get rid of points completely. Get rid of server rankings. Afterall, everyone should W v W just for the sake of killing each other endlessly.

I don’t fully disagree with the point that we should enjoy W v W PvP just for the fun of it. I do W v W because I think it’s fun (when server populations are relatively balanced during peak hours) and because there’s not much else to do in GW2 after you’ve played it for over 200-300 hours (except maybe grind for a legendary or roll another class to 80, which I don’t want to do).

Problem is, ANet has the points and server ranking system in place to encourage people to do well in W v W. However, it’s more discouraging than encouraging to see your server behind by more than twice the amount of the dominating server. Even worse, when all of your server’s hard work during the day is completely wiped out because your server doesn’t have a dominating NA AM presence. Worse still, when you’re being spawn camped.

I’ve been on both sides of the coin. I’ve been on the dominating side and also the dominated side. It’s not fun either way.

(edited by Click.5123)

in WvW

Posted by: Malarky.9546

Malarky.9546

Wow, some of you people are so pathetic.

wvw is a 24/7 matchup, and north american prime time is NOT the only time zone in the world. It’s the way the game was designed, and the mod was right — war is NOT fair.

If it really bothers you, stop whining, get organized, and fight back. If you can’t come together and do that, at least stop beating a dead horse, you’re not helping or contributing to anything by posting more whine threads. Night capping is NOT going to change, so suck it up.

I hope anet never changes “night capping” or points accrued in off peak hours. Not only to force the crybabies to move on and organize their servers to compete (if they want to compete) but because It would be a real slap in the face to our fellow server-members that play in the off-peak hours…

(edited by Malarky.9546)

in WvW

Posted by: Fed.8594

Fed.8594

Everyone should just transfer to HoD or another server with heavy oceanic presence so they won’t have to face the night capping issue. Apparently, PVE’ing doors is fair for points in a PVP setting. There are constructive ways like boosting night guards and boosting the “outmanned” buff that can help the realms with lower night pops so they dont get steamrolled at night, and give up the next day during the prime time hours. I am very disappointed that Anet are not even considering any help for low pop realms

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

Again, you people realize that’s not ANet’s stance on anything, right? The responses in this thread are the opinion of their German Community Manager. He’s not even an ANet developer.

As for points not mattering, then ANet should just get rid of points completely. Get rid of server rankings. Afterall, everyone should W v W just for the sake of killing each other endlessly.

I don’t fully disagree with the point that we should enjoy W v W PvP just for the fun of it. I do W v W because I think it’s fun (when server populations are relatively balanced during peak hours) and because there’s not much else to do in GW2 after you’ve played it for over 200-300 hours (except maybe grind for a legendary or roll another class to 80, which I don’t want to do).

Problem is, ANet has the points and server ranking system in place to encourage people to do well in W v W. However, it’s more discouraging than encouraging to see your server behind by more than twice the amount of the dominating server. Even worse, when all of your server’s hard work during the day is completely wiped out because your server doesn’t have a dominating NA AM presence. Worse still, when you’re being spawn camped.

I’ve been on both sides of the coin. I’ve been on the dominating side and also the dominated side. It’s not fun either way.

I know sometimes it’s hard to accept the truth but…. dang.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Kazim.2043

One thing some people just don’t want to understand is GW2-WvW is not war, it’s a game

War: You have to fight. If you loose, you might loose your life, you might loose your home, your family. If you loose there might be no where to go back, no where to start over again. So you fight day, you fight night. You fight even if you don’t sleep for 5 days as you have no other choice.

Game: If it starts to give no more fun, you switch to the next one, as there are always other games in which you can start over and forget your disappointments of the previous.

WvW is still fun for me, who knows what future can bring

in WvW

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

I think it’s just frustrating for competitive players.
I play WvW in far shiverpeeks quite a lot, now we’ve gotten to a point where many now state in-game they want to be 3rd this week so they don’t have to fight against VS again, since it’s getting repetitive.

What i’m seeing is the following: whenever there is high time in FS we cap quite a few things and are fairly dominant in WvW, if there wasn’t any nightcapping we would be on the first place, competitive players are bothered, i believe they just want the glory for their hard work, and i believe they feel it’s unfair VS is known as the “best” EU WvW server while they gained this by killing NCP’s and not players.

I can see the point of these players, and why they complain about it, whether Anet does something about the outnumbered buff or not, i won’t lose any sleep over it.

However i do wonder, if Anet says that nightcapping is a game mechanic, why don’t we ever have US vs EU then?

Ex

in WvW

Kazim.2043

However i do wonder, if Anet says that nightcapping is a game mechanic, why don’t we ever have US vs EU then?

That’s why I ask my self all the time. If game is 24/7 there should be no regions.

in WvW

Posted by: Shoka.4376

Shoka.4376

Hi Everyone,

War is not fair, war is not pretty, war gets out the worst in us – and the best – and even if we have excluded open world pvp from the rest of the game, this is exactly what happens on the WvW maps: It is the ‘playground’ for strategists and great tacticians, it is the place for coordinated efforts and mean ideas in the middle of the night.

Night capping is one of those valid tactics to score some points in a lasting battle – to get your world the upper hand, or cancel out daytime supremacy by another well coordinated opponent.

As Guild Wars 2 will progress in time, so will world vs. world and core gameplay mechanics. But for now, night capping is one valid possibility to ruin your enemie’s days – pun intended.

So, u basically trying to say that u want players to play hardcore in casual game? ‘War is not fair, war is not pretty,’ u can say it to ppl in Iraq, Syria or even to ppl in EVE Online who need to get up at 3 at night to shoot reinforced space station and they are earning money thought the game to pay off mortgages.

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Night capping is ruining the game, balance and fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

This is the worst post I’ve seen from an ANet employee to date.
You have a ton of people giving you feedback that there is something wrong.
The few people supporting this are simply the Oceanics or people who play on Henge of Denravi.
I’m sure you’re aware how horribly Ilum flopped in Swtor.
WvW in its current state is no different than Ilum. It’s not fun with the imbalances. The game favors a minority of the population that log on the cap everything while 90% of the playerbase sleeps.
The winner is already decided before the match even begins. What incentive does that even give people to play? I’m certainly very disappointed in Anet for this post. Without change, don’t expect WvW to last very long at all as either everyone will have quit, and the ones that remain all play on Henge of Denravi, which is almost already the case anyways.
I was excited for WvW before the game launched, now I view it as a complete failure unless changes are made in the near future.
If you’re going for complete failure, extend the matches to two weeks to put the final nail in the coffin.

~Tarnished Coast~

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

That’s why I ask my self all the time. If game is 24/7 there should be no regions.

The reasons for regions is because there are two datacenters. One is located in the UK, and one is located in Seattle.

The reasons why some servers have designations, such as french, german, etc. is so people who don’t speak english, or english is not their first language, they can go to those servers designated for people who speak the same language they are comfortable with.

They aren’t enforced as in, if you are french you MUST play on the french server, or if you are European you MUST play on the european server. You are more likely to find people you have more in common with on those servers, but if you want to, like say you have friends in america, you can play on their server if you want, though you might have ping troubles.

This is also why the WvW matchups are separated regionally. to reduce lag.

It’s not exactly rocket science or anything, so i don’t know why people ask this question.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

I think it’s just frustrating for competitive players.
I play WvW in far shiverpeeks quite a lot, now we’ve gotten to a point where many now state in-game they want to be 3rd this week so they don’t have to fight against VS again, since it’s getting repetitive.

What i’m seeing is the following: whenever there is high time in FS we cap quite a few things and are fairly dominant in WvW, if there wasn’t any nightcapping we would be on the first place, competitive players are bothered, i believe they just want the glory for their hard work, and i believe they feel it’s unfair VS is known as the “best” EU WvW server while they gained this by killing NCP’s and not players.

I can see the point of these players, and why they complain about it, whether Anet does something about the outnumbered buff or not, i won’t lose any sleep over it.

Ex

VS is ahead because they’ve got a truly massive Canadian force that clears the whole map each night (their primetime) so it’s not really “night capping” either, the issue is that the server is packed 24/7. No “normal” EU server is, and there’s no way to fight that really.

It’s not the French that are beating us, those we could handle… there’s nothing that can be done, short of convincing NA players to come over and bash the Canadians during our nighttime ;p

(edited by Corew.8932)

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Hi Everyone,

I respect that you finally came out and took a stance.

But way to go about not addressing a single concern regarding night-capping. Basically you just said the same thing all the other night-capping fans have said in the past. “Deal with it”.

Ok…fair enough, but you realize this basically tells any server out there without a significant overseas population (German and most UK servers) that they have virtually no chance to compete.

And this “all is fair in love an war” is bullkitten. Because this is a game first and foremost and not everything is fair game.

in WvW

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

Yea, I have to say this is the worst response I’ve seen from Anet. Fine it’s Anet’s stance. Many of us aren’t having fun after day two of a rotation. Fine we’ll get respond to your stance accordingly. This isn’t a war, this is a game where we seek fun when we log into WvW. It’s not fun after day two.