time zones and WvW

time zones and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Niel.9542

Niel.9542

Hi all!

I don’t know if this will be seen by anyone from the staff or not, but I’ll try. I know that this is not the best moment to post this due the incoming expansion, but I guess my patience has a limit.

I am from EU and I would like to expose a problem that I think everyone knows from a long time already, staff included, I know that have been some posts by the staff and other ppl to try to change this without success.

The thing is that is very depressing to play every day at WvW for points and see how every day the difference of points is more large due at some time there are not people playing and the enemy with a zerg of 20-40 ppl get all the maps meanwhile at normal playing times you can maintain the competitiveness with both servers, the morale is more low every day due the inability to change that and the people pass of playing or the people get bored of playing for points at some point of the game.

I don’t know which the best solution is, I am only a player that really love to play wvw for points or fights, I don’t care. I think that you want that we would play for points, sieging and all the things for what was the purpose of the wvw when designed. The thing is, the actual system is broken, is sick playing for points when all the MU are decided at off-peak hours and you CANT do anything to change that as an individual player even as a guild if you can’t play at that off-peak hours.

I’ll post some examples:
http://mos.millenium.org/servers/view/18/
Here GH should be first, but only with two morning+nights the MU is how it is.

Or something more extreme, that pass every week I think at that MU and others:
http://mos.millenium.org/servers/view/9/274
This MU should be quite even, but as you can see the final scores are SFR ahead by 15k points of JS and 50k points of deso, that is insane.

You can say whatever you want about the population of the servers, I don’t think that deso o JS need more ppl to beat SFR at that MU, but they need more ppl at that off-peak hours to have a more interesting MU, and to be honest, I don’t think that this is something posible neither time zones should have that much importance taking into account the people that can play at that times. I don’t say to remove all the points of that hours or anything similar, but simply give more importance to the typical PT o time zones with more players.

If you want that MUs are close until the end of the week, I don’t think that a system where every 15mins you can add 0-696 points help at anything with scores of 200k points at the end of the week, even more considering that with a similar population is very difficult to score more than 300 points, that often can only make a difference of ~100 points or similar with other servers if you can tick that 300 points or more.

Wouldn’t be better a system of scoring a lot less points or points by winners of time zones, according to the typical populations: 3 points for the winner of all the night, 3 points for the winner of all the morning, 3 points for the winner for every 2h at evening or something similar. You have the statistics of the players I guess, you should be able to make a better and more correct table of points to maintain a little more competitiveness.

I know that there are servers with different playing times, but I think that if you have the stadistics of all servers, you should be able to make an automatic good table for every MU or a global default table.

I really would like to know the opinion of the staff about that differences of points at the MU by this off-peak hours and the actual state of WvW. I don’t think a new map will change anything about that subject, the problem will be the same in a few months.

time zones and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Dr Gonzo.6259

Dr Gonzo.6259

Yea I definitely agree that something has to be done, my server Ehmry Bay has like 0 EU presence and its really obvious when I have time off and I log on during the middle of the day and I’m the only person in EBG. Our major guilds all play around the same times, around 5-9 EST and we usually kick kitten during that time, but during the day nothing happens and the other servers tend to gain a large lead even if we do well during peak hours. People see this happen and get discouraged which only compounds the problem. The last matchup we had against I was on my mes and ended up dueling an enemy mes for like 45+ min because I was the only person in EBG on my server and his group was bored after having capped everything without anyone to fight :\

I don’t know how A-net can fix this, separating servers by region would skew the populations way too much, and your idea of giving less points on off-peak hours would be too hard to properly do without it feeling cheap when you finally do get good fights during the day. It’s a problem we really need to work out though as it really hampers WvW for some servers (I used mine as an example but I’m sure there are plenty that have this problem).

time zones and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

This has been requested since the game started. A-net has always said no. Your time zone isn’t the time zone of the world type of thing. Issues with Aus which has no server of it’s own and is in another time zone etc. etc.

WvW is a coverage/numbers based game mode, not to be taken very seriously.

If you want balanced fights I suggest you go check out unranked/ranked PvP instead (practice is too often 5v4 etc. rubbish).

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

time zones and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

if you are looking for 24/7 good coverage fight tiers , there is t1 na servers to choose from and some t2 servers.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

time zones and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

if you are looking for 24/7 good coverage fight tiers , there is t1 na servers to choose from and some t2 servers.

There are fairly large coverage imbalances in T1/T2 NA as well. Just not taking WvW so seriously is the best solution imo… unless you want to be the one doing the PvD then sure go blackgate or whatever, but that’s not much fun at all to me.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

time zones and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

they really just need to mega server wvw
and go with a faction based system

it would solve so many problems between time zone differences and population imbalances