what class to tag now that guard is dead?

in WvW

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Please recommend me some good classes for wvw zerg tagging.

my guard used to be good at tanking, support and tagging.

now when i use staff ele, auto feels slow, skills are ok, but she is glassy i don’t like.

when i use necro, she can spam marks but has no stability or mobility, block or invulnerability.

what is the next best class to tag and not die fast?

in WvW

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

Guard is dead? Really? Because why? Because they cut the range on your AA so that you actually have to put some work into tagging enemies? This right here is the lazy, lowest common denominator gameplay that ArenaNet keeps catering too which turns what could be fun, competitive, and engaging fluid action combat into skill spam, mindless AoE bomb madness.

It was called a “loot stick” for a reason. That right there tells you something. I am sorry if I sound a tad salty but I just can’t believe what I read anymore.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

If you only have the core game then play backline Necro, if you have HoT then play Reaper, tagging is Ez, staying alive is also Ez.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Staff Guard
Staff Ele
Staff Necro

Hmmmm I think I see the problem now.

in WvW

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

I also heard that the sky is falling…

Many many Guardians would use a staff just to AA spam in WvW to get as many bags as possible. They would build super tanky, so they can stand in the front line and spam their staff’s AA. ANet seen this and cut the range down. It’s no ones fault except for those who abused this for profit.

Guardian is still a great class, you just need to put effort into getting bags now.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in WvW

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

If you only have the core game then play backline Necro, if you have HoT then play Reaper, tagging is Ez, staying alive is also Ez.

condi or power? got a build? because when i play condi reaper, usually i can’t tag fast enough, do enough dmg to tag, and also, marks don’t trigger on downs.

my build also has no stab, no survivability as compared to guard.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Guard isn’t dead.

Just use Mace Shield and hammer (or gs if you really are obsessed for tag for bag). You get bags for healing people too…. You can use shield 4, hammer 3, purging flames, and symbols on the ground for hitting enemies

If you really want your bags…

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeSl8AhShYrQwZIwPEHMEFuCmgR4WsNQAkbh8b/A-TViFABIpMAgTBAVK9QTfg67PwnSQCV/R/jAQCPAABAxA-w

Pure of Heart is really the centerpiece as you generate heals for doing aegis to yourself and others; and this happens very often regardless of style. But in reality guardians crap out so much retaliation that it really isn’t an issue.

If you want more bags, then get tankier armor and take rune of the guardian to damage enemies passively and troll people on siege.

As for staff ele, this is what I do; just take more celestial instead of marauders if you feel squishy, but I usually don’t have trouble. Can also take vapor form over lightning flash but I don’t like immobolity. Essentially you camp mainly between earth and water (spam 2 on both) in most dangerous situations then use fire when you have some space. When it’s clear use Eye of the Storm and Overload Air to run over enemies. The build doesn’t have much condi clear, but using wash the pain away when you get loaded can help since you trigger diamond skin.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWn0XCdOgFYCGOAcYilNAjYFkBqAu71/6hd4BEAKgA-TliFQBJUZgRUihP1fAwFAgKKJU3+D67BAYFlgoTHwBVKIKoMC-w

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

yes, stop using guard cuz drama and wipe your group cuz they got no stab.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

Many many Guardians would use a staff just to AA spam in WvW to get as many bags as possible. They would build super tanky, so they can stand in the front line and spam their staff’s AA. ANet seen this and cut the range down. It’s no ones fault except for those who abused this for profit.

Guardian is still a great class, you just need to put effort into getting bags now.

While it’s a nice thought, I doubt very very seriously that anet made a change to a weapon skill based on how it was being used in wvw . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

lol, not sure what all this guard hype is about really. Staff? what’s that? It changed? oh ya… but I don’t use it. Not sure about other folks but my guard/dh is alive and well and kicking butt.

Ele, Necro, … glassy, no mobility etc? Seriously you need to build these better.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: StanleyJohny.8047

StanleyJohny.8047

Hammer / Mace + Shield is getting even more popular with this change and it is really healthy for a WvW.
Lets be real, people only used staff as a empower tool but mainly as a “loot stick” with auto attack and easy (and pathetic at the same time) damage to get more loot bags.

Hammer / Mace + Shield gives your group so much more support, and crowd control. If any guard is now more alive then dead. Maybe people will finally start using other weapons that have great skills or even other classes like Condi Revenant, Healing Druid and Boon Chrono.

in WvW

Posted by: Magnuzone.8395

Magnuzone.8395

Lol this is not why staff is used by frontline guards in wvw.

Bags are a nice reward but not why you use it. A frontline guard jumps in with the commander, uses his GS or hammer with some additional skills to ensure that he survive the worst damage. Then switches to staff to put preassure on the enemy frontline while the backline is doing their job from the sides. Staff 1 Is a great semi-aoe skill that when enough are using it, put quite the preassure on the other frontline.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Bags are a nice reward but not why you use it. A frontline guard jumps in with the commander, uses his GS or hammer with some additional skills to ensure that he survive the worst damage. Then switches to staff to put preassure on the enemy frontline while the backline is doing their job from the sides. Staff 1 Is a great semi-aoe skill that when enough are using it, put quite the preassure on the other frontline.

Yeah that’s all well and good, but what about all those Guards who don’t dive in with the Comm, but just hang back a bit contributing little to the push, other than some stab if they remember to even push that button, and then just spam 1 all day on their stick and never move off that auto attack come hell or high water, well because of them bags yo…

(edited by Hexalot.8194)

in WvW

Magnuzone.8395

They wont get many bags in comparison to the frontline crowd believe me. You can double the bags or more. And they often waste the gold they get from it on siege and food. Most of the best commanders are always really broke even though they might get a full stack of bags from an evening alone.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

ROFLMAO Guard is dead? Please tell me your joking? I will own you with my base guard! You just mad cause your loot stick is gone lol. Try it again without your loot stick lol

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

Yeah that’s all well and good, but what about all those Guards who don’t dive in with the Comm, but just hang back a bit contributing little to the push, other than some stab if they remember to even push that button, and then just spam 1 all day on their stick and never move off that auto attack come hell or high water, well because of them bags yo…

What about them though? Those people are going to do the same thing regardless of class and weaponset

The game shouldn’t be balanced around people that don’t know how to play their character , or even worse, don’t play to win. Though I will not speak for commanders, I think if you randomly asked one if they could magically keep their zerg within, say 900 range, of them at all times, then they would be very happy.

Anyhow, the point about staff is while the damage isn’t very high, a couple of them striking 5 targets does add up and you could further increase it with sigil procs or f1 or whatever. Relevance in zerg fighting often relies on the ability to mid-distance cleave without being screwed over by projectile hate which is often enough to generate downs or take them down. That’s why Rev hammer is so good. It’s perfect for fights at 600 range. And the idea that Rev hammer exists, but staff is the evil OP one that needs to be nerfed is a terrible joke.

And that is the reason why something like frontline scrappers are weak because they’re simply useless out of point blank distance aside from one skill that is on a delay.

The loot isn’t really a big issue anyways, and shouldn’t be a factor. The loot dropped from players (and single enemies in pve, especially HoT content) is trivial. And since the loot system was modified to credit support which guardians do lots anyways, that’s not really going to change matters much either.

T.his also reminds me of how Anet keeps messing with staff ele since it seems the main topic of every patch is how to nerf that weapon. despite it not really being dominant anywhere. I guess they’re just trying to spread the hate this time around?

Finally, I would like to also point out that once upon a time Anet nerfed the range of boons. Virtues and other things used to go out to 1200 range, but this was greatly reduced, which inevitably encouraged running into a tight ball. (well, it always did), but that along with the 10 tons of projectile hate contributed to the blob meta. Well, it was always so, but the current trend suggests that zergs will eventually be running as a singularity, perhaps a black hole meta.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Magnuzone.8395

ROFLMAO Guard is dead? Please tell me your joking? I will own you with my base guard! You just mad cause your loot stick is gone lol. Try it again without your loot stick lol

I dont think they mean that the guard class is a dead class in that way. I think they mean that there are so many other issues that could be addressed that this is an almost unbelievable thing to change.

And that Anet even considered staff nr 1 to be the issue to be fixed over many other balance issues proves quite a few things.

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Try tagging up on a warrior, I dare you. You’ll go back to guardian in a second.

in WvW

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

While it’s a nice thought, I doubt very very seriously that anet made a change to a weapon skill based on how it was being used in wvw . . .

Staff has been dead in sPvP since bunker guard got nerfed around the time HoT released, and has been a novelty weapon in PvE for even longer. Whatever their justification is, unless you subscribe to the conspiracy theory that they were worried that Permeating Wrath staff might compete with axe as a condi weapon, it HAS to be WvW, since that’s the only place where it was seeing serious use.

Nerfing staff for PvE or sPvP reasons would be beating a horse that’s already died, been sent to the knackers, turned into glue, and the glue used to make a paper mache model of the horse to commemorate its life.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in WvW

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

That’s not true though, pve guards do use staff. It is far more likely that the change to skill1 was made to balance the buffs to other skills . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

=) guard is not dead. just be imaginative and use those symbols purgr

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Taging. Probably nice to have so huge zerg that main goal is just tag enemies. You must be vabbi player.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Dead?!? Yesterday in WvWvW I still saw more guardians and necromancers than other professions. Revenants, elementalists and thieves come probably after that in popularity. Engineers and mesmers are perhaps the least played professions, but wouldn’t call them dead either.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Flamethrower scrapper with might on stab, stab on flamethrower and quickness when over a might threshold. Get wanderers armour or a mix of marauder and wanderer, durability or leadership runes, bounty sigil and any other boon duration and you are a tagging machine.

You don’t help anyone really but you can survive a Zerg, have plenty of stab and health regen and you will pretty much tag everything for loot.

in WvW

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

The new Holosmith will have a 600 range frontal AoE AA in Photon Forge with a trait.

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

in WvW

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

Guardian is not dead and is still extremely useful especially since we can heal when we empower. Only one skill was really nerfed but they made up for it by giving us so much more to make up for it. I use mine to command with all the time. Or are you referring to tagging for loot not commanding?

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

in WvW

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

what is the next best class to tag and not die fast?

Flame thrower on condi engineer? When they nurf that grenades or even grenade launcher are options.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

OP is the type of player that should uninstall game.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Flamethrower scrapper with might on stab, stab on flamethrower and quickness when over a might threshold.

Hahahaha hohoho…

Click 1 once and you instantly die from retaliation.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Flamethrower scrapper with might on stab, stab on flamethrower and quickness when over a might threshold.

Hahahaha hohoho…

Click 1 once and you instantly die from retaliation.

Sssssshhhhh don’t tell the zerglings!

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

What’s a scrapper? I heard Anet had that concept for development and it was actually playable at one point but didn’t they get deleted?

Hmm, why do I have 9 character slots?