whats preventing this?

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

Whats prevents Anet from using existings maps in the Pve world, of which we have a dozen plus off, as a template or straight up setting for a new wvw map? even a WvW version of places like Queensdale or Orr would be great for adding something fresh to WvW.

Is it due to programming reasons? pve maps being incompatible for WvW conversion?
A Rigid plan to stick to the current WvW format after close to 2 years?
Lack of Developer resources?
Lack of Developer will?

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Eugenides.1274

Eugenides.1274

I imagine it would come down to balance. There’s a reason the WvW maps are mirrored and designed the way they are. PVE maps don’t follow the same design philosophy as WvW (even though there are clear advantages to keeps in EB).

That being said, I would love to see an open world PVP version of the current maps with max level set to 80 and NPCs/events scaled appropriately.

Attolis – Beyond the Wall [Crow]
Gandara

(edited by Eugenides.1274)

whats preventing this?

in WvW

SpehssMehreen.5897

I imagine it would come down to balance. There’s a reason the WvW maps are mirrored and designed the way they are. PVE maps don’t follow the same design philosophy as WvW (even though there are clear advantages to keeps in EB).

That being said, I would love to see an open world PVP version of the current maps with max level set to 80 and NPCs/events scaled appropriately.

A pseudo open world pvp is what I had in mind, various objectives can be inputted into the existing maps on conversion, people who wanna keep the rigid format of regular wvw will still have the regular WvW maps.

My thinking was that a new WvW map could do so much so WvW in its current stagnating state, so why not convert one of two of the existing maps we already have on hand rather than spend another year creating another EOTM

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I’ve also thought it would be awesome to have the PvE maps be part of WvW. However, I can see the argument about balance – or rather the lack of balance. I personally would be ok with a slight imbalance but I can see where it would cause all kinds of rage by the losing side.

I wouldn’t want to draw people away from WvW proper by making another kind of PvP map either.

One way of circumventing the lack of balance in the underlying map design is to make the structures themselves harder or easier to capture. I’m sure they could do it.

Then I thought what if the structures are not assigned any particular side. Instead of having a green keep, blue keep and red keep in the beginning just have all assets be neutral. And have the spawn points in the middle of the map so everyone is equidistant from the assets. Then no one has the initial advantage.

And on reset everyone has to fight like mad for the initial captures. Man I think that would make for an awesome reset night.

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

And bugs were you get stuck, were you can go over/under ground.

whats preventing this?

in WvW

SpehssMehreen.5897

Objectives and Structures can be implemented during the construction process.
On the topic of balance though lets take a look at a popular map like queensdale.

http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/queensdale-map-of-pois-waypoints-vistas-skills-and-more/12547/

Due to there layouts lets imagine having the 3 keeps from EB (with some modifications)
placed on this map respectively on the North, South east and South western sides of the map, unique objectives can be developed here such as the large water processing plant in the north or Swamp to the south as unique objectives to be contested, this on top off many more camps and the occasional “tower”

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Brafius.7432

Brafius.7432

I think this is a very interesting idea. The biggest problem would be balance. Even in EB, which at first looks pretty balanced, there are sides that are better than others. This could however be used in a positive way if you always place the servers due to their rankings(1. Green, 2. Blue, 3. Red). It could act as a sort of handicap.

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Im not entirely convinced balance would be a concern. Clearly, some keeps and towers are far more difficult to take than others given map layout, siege placement, and/or choke points.

Not to give them ideas, but it’d almost make an interesting living story idea.. fortresses being constructed in say Sparkfly Den. Part of the story would be attempting build up your towers/keeps/main base, all the while attempting to stop your enemy from doing the same. The next part of the story could be outfitting your bases with whatever they need. The final part (which hopefully is added as permanent content), is WvW based inside a PvE map (minus the PvE quests). Although I wouldn’t mind world or meta events spawning, I think that’d add an interesting element to it.

whats preventing this?

in WvW

SpehssMehreen.5897

Im not entirely convinced balance would be a concern. Clearly, some keeps and towers are far more difficult to take than others given map layout, siege placement, and/or choke points.

Not to give them ideas, but it’d almost make an interesting living story idea.. fortresses being constructed in say Sparkfly Den. Part of the story would be attempting build up your towers/keeps/main base, all the while attempting to stop your enemy from doing the same. The next part of the story could be outfitting your bases with whatever they need. The final part (which hopefully is added as permanent content), is WvW based inside a PvE map (minus the PvE quests). Although I wouldn’t mind world or meta events spawning, I think that’d add an interesting element to it.

Thanks for your input, the main point of the post though was to ask why Anet cannot just utilize one of the many existing pve maps (with the necessary adjustments and modifications) to bring something new and fresh to WvW which has been stagnating heavily even before WvW season 2,

From my understanding it cant be harder than making a completely new map such as Eotm, although eotm was made by a LS team rather than the WvW team

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

A PvP server with beginner and city zones being safe zones would make me very happy. I doubt I would even log in to WvW if this existed.

As to your point, they could but they would still have to balance it which would likely mean a lot of terrain changes.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Rimmy.9217

Rimmy.9217

They wouldn’t have to be balanced if they came out with half a dozen or so modified PvE maps and threw them into a random rotation – as long as the rotation was frequent (daily reset to daily reset, or after x points had been accumulated on it) then nobody would have too much of an advantage for long, unless they had some really lucky rolls. Which is acceptable, since we’re after variety here and not SPvP.

Trollnado Ele – Ehmry Bay

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Lemme me see, you want a new map with unique objectves to not play the old boring wvw maps… Hmmmmm…

Oh wait… They gave you that map! It's called...Edge of the Mists. But what did you people do? “Oh, it’s kitteny. Let’s go back to our old boring Wvw maps because it’s better…”

Eh, ok…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Lemme me see, you want a new map with unique objectves to not play the old boring wvw maps… Hmmmmm…

Oh wait… They gave you that map! It's called...Edge of the Mists. But what did you people do? “Oh, it’s kitteny. Let’s go back to our old boring Wvw maps because it’s better…”

Eh, ok…

Oohhhhh, I love the supply drop that was contributed from said map… Thanks for your effort.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

whats preventing this?

in WvW

Posted by: Eugenides.1274

Eugenides.1274

Eh, ok…

The lack of server association is what turned me (and probably many others) off from that map. Once people saw how profitable it could be, it turned into a huge farm. I would guess that 95% of the people there don’t play for the fights and are only there for the farm.

Putting that aside, I think a problem with producing multiple maps would be the same as we have now, population imbalances. For many servers, the population is spread thin over the existing 4 maps. Would they be thrown away if this system took over? It wouldn’t necessarily be as bad if mobs and events were still on the maps.

Attolis – Beyond the Wall [Crow]
Gandara