wheres the dueling and roaming at?

in WvW

Posted by: SpedalFlux.1520

SpedalFlux.1520

hi im a new player returning, my playstyle consists entirely of obsidian sanctum camping/dueling and roaming. after being away for 2 years, i cant find any action nor guilds in this playstyle. so is there any place/guild/server i can still find people who duel and roam? thanks

in WvW

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

T1 is the place to be.
Most of the skilled fighters are in Blackgate.
If you want to roam with skilled fighters, join Blackgate.
If you want to fight against skilled fighters, join Tarnished Coast.

You can join their partner servers like Kaineng or Anvil Rock or Eredon Terrace to enter T1 since BG and TC are probably full.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Lol T1 roaming….
If you are looking for people to duel look around SM, just watch out for the blobs. Most people will be cool but their has been a rise in kittens that will interrupt lately.

The bl’s offer better roaming fights than ebg. Just go flip a few camps or throw up a cata for a tower and defenders will come running.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Only once have I ever found some1 to duel in Obsidian Sanctum…..and im pretty sure he was tailing our guild run which ended with the puzzle And I have checked on numerous occasions after being told over and over that that is where people duel….yet nobody is ever there. i waste all that time going there and walking allll the way to the stupid colloseum and nobody is ever there. I’m assuming its just T1 only where people are actually playing in OS.

IN terms of duelers and stuff though I can’t find them at alll lately and it hurts me so much. I have to try and find people and wave them off…..and initiate the duel process myself. This is a very frustrating process to actually find them, get them to an isolated place, not get swamped by stupid thieves and griefers, and find opponents who aren’t completely terrible at fighting. I mean I can appreciate everyone learning to fight, I duel to learn so does everyone else. But when I only got 2 opponents cause its so hard to find duelers….a.nd they both don’t even compare to me then i just get angry and have to force myself not to kill them and respect the dueling process.

And then finding people who aren’t in pairs or larger groups that won’t try to kill you mercilessly is even harder. And most of the time you think you’ve found some1 to fight 1v1 and play with….theres a friggin daredevil stealthed and waiting to pounce the moment you are vulnerable.

Its sad. It really is sad. Nobody knows how to fight anymore. And tehy have few ways to learn when tehy do. They have fewer ways to see how they compare 1vs1. instead they only see how they compared 7vs 15 or some other ridiculous comparison. They just blob and press 3 keys and then blame the tag or the enemy if they die. And they run stupid builds thinking that as long as its meta for gvg, the reason they are dying is because of other players on their team not following the meta. Unable to see the failure in their eyes they commit to see the truth. and from the ashes of syrup theres comes a time when the eyes of the dragons turn to pancakes.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Most of the time dueling only happens in OS if someone has organized it in advance. You could go to the salt forums and try to set something up there.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Try structured pvp.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Try structured pvp.

So he can play ring around the rosie?

LGN

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Try structured pvp.

There are dueling instances…

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Try structured pvp.

Yeah but then you are stuck with the horribad amulet system….

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Try structured pvp.

And no Food. The horrors.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Lol T1 roaming….
If you are looking for people to duel look around SM, just watch out for the blobs. Most people will be cool but their has been a rise in kittens that will interrupt lately.

The bl’s offer better roaming fights than ebg. Just go flip a few camps or throw up a cata for a tower and defenders will come running.

Lol at T1 roaming as well, total joke up there.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Try structured pvp.

At least you get to duel when you want to duel right?

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Try structured pvp.

At least you get to duel when you want to duel right?

True.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

hi im a new player returning, my playstyle consists entirely of obsidian sanctum camping/dueling and roaming. after being away for 2 years, i cant find any action nor guilds in this playstyle. so is there any place/guild/server i can still find people who duel and roam? thanks

Well, it’s tough with the current blobish state of WvW. I also focus on roaming / dueling, but the numerical advantage (or disadvantage) makes it hard during the prime hours. It’s ok on the afternoon though, and great late at night (at least on EU servers).

I strongly recommend the BL for that.

Roaming: go to your opponents’ BL and start doing a camp run (including Titan). Try not to be too obvious when you cap though or a mini-blob with wait for you in the next camp. If the BL is kinda empty (late at night), you can even solo towers.

Dueling: I generally stay in my server’s BL. Late at night, I defend the southern camps on my own. I wait at Briar so I can quickly reach Refuge and Lodge when they’re contested (there are always solo or duo roamers trying to cap them) – of course, I can also cap camps or towers if needed.

During the day, before the prime time, there are too many people on the map to do that efficiently so I wait at Bay and fight anyone who comes around (or try to take refuge). The southern area around Bay is probably the most active place.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Small scale and roaming are a joke with HoT’s awful profession and gear imbalances, so I wouldn’t even try to even bother at this point.

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

T1 roaming is good because zergs don’t chase as much and fights are easier to find, but going alone may prove brutal.
T2 roaming sucks. Zergs will chase you and there aren’t as many good fights. You also will have a hard time running alone.
T3 roaming was eh last time I was there (a long time ago). Better odds if you’re alone, but zergs will chase you

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

T1 is the place to be.

oh my world of kek.

To me this read:

Tier 1 is a joke.
Most of the cowards are in blobgate.
If you only want to fight outnumbered fights, join blobgate
If you want to fight against cowards and omni blobs, join the toast.

Trash talk aside… (sorry couldn’t help it) Roaming is pretty close to dead. The only good roams I’ve had lately are running off hours in bl’s. You’ve got people yelling at roamers for not blobing up, blobs chasing small groups to the end of the world, then the whole trailblazer/dire perplex cheese running around, oh and ghost thief, that’s my favorite fight.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in WvW

RodOfDeath.5247

For the most part a lot of good roamers moved on to other games. Anet killed small guilds with their awful overhyped xpac and wanted us to grind to even claim a camp.

They want you to blob and be a robot with the same boring builds, diversity in builds has thus died, roamers got bored of the same cancer builds and moved on.

in WvW

Posted by: Vasdamas Anklast.1607

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

So many familiar souls in this thread.

There are two things I do on WvW currently. First is flipping camps in night time to try pick up a good fight. And trashtalk with comms that think they are hot enough to tell me what to do
I used to spvp a lot but it’s become kinda boring and stale with its “variety” of builds so I switched to WvW to find new interesting builds, gimmick or not Idc as long as it has a great idea inside it. Mostly find dire mesmers and permastealth thieves though, but I still like that kind of the fights. I just wish I could run into players I could learn from more often on EU ;_:

in WvW

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

A word of advice for T1 roaming: try to roam pretty far out from prime hours. Not because of zergs, but because of the havoc groups. BG has a ton of havoc groups and they tend to be out about during/close to zerging hours.

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

If you wanna duel there is a game mode for that called pvp. Or duel in OS.
Roamers is another thing, they do things that actually help the server so that is welcomed. But people that duel in maps like ebg are worst that afkers, because afkers at least get dced after a while.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

Roamers is another thing, they do things that actually help the server so that is welcomed. But people that duel in maps like ebg are worst that afkers, because afkers at least get dced after a while.

Here we go another blobber spit hate out of his braindead biomass blob again.

Isn’t WvW a PvP mode? People duel because they want to get better, obtain deep knowledge of game mechanics and then become more efficient asset for WvW. People like this make new builds and metas. And objectively I don’t see any problem with that but what I see is all those kittening “wvw players” losing their precious lewt bag blob fights and then blaming it on the duellers which are already scarce thanks to you “wvw community”.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Please stop with this. There aren’t enough duelers on any map to bite into your chances of winning blob wars.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

To those people saying roaming is dead; Your welcome to join me on GH, i’ll show you it’s far from dead.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

Isn’t WvW a PvP mode? People duel because they want to get better, obtain deep knowledge of game mechanics and then become more efficient asset for WvW. People like this make new builds and metas. And objectively I don’t see any problem with that but what I see is all those kittening “wvw players” losing their precious lewt bag blob fights and then blaming it on the duellers which are already scarce thanks to you “wvw community”.

Blobber? If a 20-25 man guild group is a blob to you, then I guess…?

PvP is part of WvW, but that is when you actually kill the other guy and do something for your server.
If all you do is duel until one guy is down and then let him res then you are literally doing nothing helpful.
If you don’t like the pvp mode go to OS.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

but that is when you actually kill the other guy and do something for your server.
If all you do is duel until one guy is down and then let him res then you are literally doing nothing helpful..

When the game mode is so fundamentally flawed that “winning” is meaningless and involves tedious gameplay like avoiding fights, siege hugging, PvDoor, etc, then why would anyone who isn’t a PvE player give a toss, maybe you should focus more on getting a functioning game mode, so players actually have a reason to care about being “helpful”.

If you can’t cope with people playing a game in a different way to you, then maybe you should stick to single player games or find an MMO with private servers where you can make the rules.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

PvP is part of WvW, but that is when you actually kill the other guy and do something for your server.
If all you do is duel until one guy is down and then let him res then you are literally doing nothing helpful.

Even though they arent stomping the guy they are dueling, they are still killing all the kitten holes that try to interupt the duel.

LGN

in WvW

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

You guess what? Still enough to carry people that press 1 and toss random AoEs?

Oh and believe me all duelers kill a lot of guys (and stomp them too). We don’t just duel all the time but also roam and help capture/protect objectives once in a while because getting good would be pointless otherwise, just like the whole never-ending WvW thing. I’d even say we kill more people and bring positive k/d counter to our server than the rest of the crowd.
You seem to be blinded by one desire – send all duelers and skilled players to OS so they don’t farm you for precious lewt and ez badges. Please don’t impose your opinion on the others and let people play for the game they payed for, thanks.

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Most, or probably all of them duelers are actual roamers that hover around sm to form fight clubs as a break more then anything. They do this (my self included) to home in their skills and fighting other duel’st is the best way to do it, 90% of the time there is muteral respect and allow the loser to self rally so no ppk is involved. when they go back to roaming again they have a better chance of defending said camp/tower or vice versa, flip them.

Back on topic, I noticed that better roamers are on international servers so if you want to fight better people then join a German or French server lol.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

If I am dueling an enemy, aren’t we both doing nothing helpful thus making it fair for both servers by having 1 man “afk”?

Go Wave of Wrath some more

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

T1 is the place to be.

You can join their partner servers like Kaineng or Anvil Rock or Eredon Terrace to enter T1 since BG and TC are probably full.

lol no there are not “most of the skilled fighters” there. When I was on Blackgate, every time anyone tried roaming with my group, they would get one pushed and were simply embarassing. The roamers we fought against were all awful as well, so much skill clicking keyboard turning low rank bads roaming around.

If you want good roaming, join any T3 server. The roaming in T2 has been pretty decent, but the roaming in T3 was WAY better than T1 and T2. Take it from me, someone who was on Blackgate and left to go to Borlis Pass. At the time, BP was T3 paired with FA, it was great then. Now they’re in T2 and it isn’t as good as T3, but better for roaming than T1.

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

T1 is the place to be.

roflmao….

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

RodOfDeath.5247

T1 is the place to be.

roflmao….

roflmao as well. Every server has skilled fighters. I’ve been on various tiers and servers, there’s some hidden gems out there where an old school T7 roamer would destroy 2-3 “highly skilled” T1 roamers.
BG is considered good because they have many….many havoc crews and rarely go out alone. Get them alone 1v1, their builds are easily identifiable and meta. My buddy still roams up there, every single roamer is the same trash build and easily is countered. Thus our current roaming boredom in the community.

in WvW

XTR.9604

Small scale and roaming are a joke with HoT’s awful profession and gear imbalances, so I wouldn’t even try to even bother at this point.

Sounds like an uneducated answer. My guilds whole purpose is small scale roaming, it can be anything between solo roaming and running 8 people, but generally its 4 to 5. I stream our runs and you can see pretty easily in my stream that roaming is not dead and if you can’t figure out how to play against or with the new elite specs, it is a L2P issue.

http://asphyxia.tv/stream-highlights/

Some of my stream highlights that I had time to highlight, most are just 1v1s that weren’t set up, they just kind of happened while solo roaming and there there is one that was a pretty fun where we had a 5 man XT group as well. http://asphyxia.tv/outnumbered-xt-wreckage/

Roaming is far from dead, it certainly isn’t what it used to be but it is still plenty alive and viable.

in WvW

DeceiverX.8361

Sounds like an uneducated answer. My guilds whole purpose is small scale roaming, it can be anything between solo roaming and running 8 people, but generally its 4 to 5. I stream our runs and you can see pretty easily in my stream that roaming is not dead and if you can’t figure out how to play against or with the new elite specs, it is a L2P issue.

http://asphyxia.tv/stream-highlights/

Some of my stream highlights that I had time to highlight, most are just 1v1s that weren’t set up, they just kind of happened while solo roaming and there there is one that was a pretty fun where we had a 5 man XT group as well. http://asphyxia.tv/outnumbered-xt-wreckage/

Roaming is far from dead, it certainly isn’t what it used to be but it is still plenty alive and viable.

Shameless twitch self-promotion aside, it’s not that roaming doesn’t exist; I never said it was dead, nor did I say anything about the number of people doing it. I said it wasn’t worth doing, because it isn’t. It’s that in all seriousness, the fights themselves are garbage. The elite specs are way overpowered compared to core, and if you honestly are going to refute that to the public, you’ll probably get laughed out of any competitive format. Actually, if you think elite specs aren’t absolutely stupid in terms of power creep and struggle to beat anyone playing core, the issue is a L2P one, like you said.

In small-scale right now, either you run super tryhard cheese or get blown up by the (good) people who do. If you’re winning without cheese, your opponents are just bad.

To me, that’s no better than sPvP where build access is so limited by effectively the same measures (albeit for different specific reasons).

I’ve largely been there and done that. I’ve played the havoc guild that carried servers. I’ve fought 4v20 before and won using fair builds. The people who’ve been around the block long enough to really talk about roaming (and most of those have quit) recognize that small-scale right now is a pathetic excuse for a competitive combat experience because of blatant balance neglect and mass-playing of toxic, skill-less builds that people use in gank groups to pretend they’re good in ego-stroking circlejerks of self-promotion in attempts to justify fighting dirty.

If you like to play cheese, power to you, but it’s such a sad excuse for intriguing and thought-based gameplay to even warrant it taking a competitive nature outside of trolling.

The quality play of roaming is gone, which is the entire purpose of going small-scale. So I stand by my statement: Don’t bother.

in WvW

XTR.9604

Shameless twitch self-promotion aside

Please tell me what is wrong with sharing my videos that help further prove my point? Why is that “shameless twitch self-promotion” exactly? Because it disproves your point while linking to my twitch stream that proves mine???

it’s not that roaming doesn’t exist; I never said it was dead, nor did I say anything about the number of people doing it. I said it wasn’t worth doing, because it isn’t.

Maybe it isn’t worth doing for you because you’re not good at it. PvE is pretty easy, go do that.

It’s that in all seriousness, the fights themselves are garbage.

Because you can’t win them, they’re obviously garbage.

The elite specs are way overpowered compared to core, and if you honestly are going to refute that to the public, you’ll probably get laughed out of any competitive format.

I’ll happily fight any person on their elite spec with my non-elite spec using thief, necro or guardian and beat up on them. I could probably manage on my ele without using elite spec too. People just don’t know how to play the game.

Actually, if you think elite specs aren’t absolutely stupid in terms of power creep and struggle to beat anyone playing core, the issue is a L2P one, like you said.

It is a L2P issue because you can’t figure out how to beat it. I main Tempest Ele, I’ll admit it is stronger than classic ele for sure, but do I feel the same way about all of the elite specs? No, not at all. I prefer classic necro over reaper, same with thief. I can go either way with Guardian, some times I like to play it as core instead of DH for roaming because my old medi build is pretty strong still.

In small-scale right now, either you run super tryhard cheese or get blown up by the (good) people who do. If you’re winning without cheese, your opponents are just bad.

Everything roaming is running cheese right now, the idea with roaming is to maximize your survivability as well as damage. If you aren’t taking advantage of what the game has to offer you, then you’re doing it wrong.

To me, that’s no better than sPvP where build access is so limited by effectively the same measures (albeit for different specific reasons).

PvP is far too limited on what can be done, there is no room for theory crafting and its over all just a condi-cancer fest right now that I want no part of, which is why I am in WvW.

I’ve largely been there and done that. I’ve played the havoc guild that carried servers. I’ve fought 4v20 before and won using fair builds. The people who’ve been around the block long enough to really talk about roaming (and most of those have quit) recognize that small-scale right now is a pathetic excuse for a competitive combat experience because of blatant balance neglect and mass-playing of toxic, skill-less builds that people use in gank groups to pretend they’re good in ego-stroking circlejerks of self-promotion in attempts to justify fighting dirty.

Well as someone who has preferred solo roaming or small man roaming (up to 5 people) since I started playing the game over 3 years ago, I don’t completely agree. Roaming isn’t as good as it used to be, sure – but it is still more than viable and tons of fun for me.

If you like to play cheese, power to you, but it’s such a sad excuse for intriguing and thought-based gameplay to even warrant it taking a competitive nature outside of trolling.

Peoples definition of playing cheese is basically just playing anything that can beat them without a super hard counter. My ele is considered cheese because I have so much damage reduction and a ton of condi clears, so its nearly impossible to kill 1v1 – so cheese cuz you can’t beat it lol. Those of us like myself that theory craft those builds and spend hours upon hours testing and making new gear combinations to figure out the perfect setup don’t really care about if you think its cheese or not. I put work in to my builds and spent a lot of time testing them against every class in fights to make them as bullet proof as possible while still dealing damage.

The quality play of roaming is gone, which is the entire purpose of going small-scale. So I stand by my statement: Don’t bother.

Stand by your statement all you want, but you’re wrong and I’ll stand by that. I have hours of video on my stream of my group roaming small scale, I just don’t have much time to go highlight every good fight I get, but the videos are there for anyone who wants to see them. Suppose I should be ashamed for promoting my stream and proving my point though.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Roaming in T1 centers around gank squads and extremely high mobility builds designed to dodge zergs. Small scale fights outside of duels typically revolve around which side gets more +1 thieves in the mix.

T2/T3 has a handful of solid fighters and most fights don’t get +1’d into a numbers game. The general problem is that experienced players have been leaving and replaced with less experienced players so some of the fights for good experienced players are a little too easy. I don’t even balk about jumping into a 4v1 situation these days.

I know nothing of T4.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

DeceiverX.8361

Please tell me what is wrong with sharing my videos that help further prove my point? Why is that “shameless twitch self-promotion” exactly? Because it disproves your point while linking to my twitch stream that proves mine???

It was initially a half-joke, because you’re responding off-topic to what I said in my original post and using yourself as the golden standard of how to play WvW. As you just did by saying a majority of people are trash. As you did for calling me out saying I have L2P problems or implicitly attacking my longevity here (I’ve also been here more than three years), and so on. Your guildmates pretty much spam your guild’s stream every post they make on these boards. The egoism is getting annoying in all honesty, and I’m not the first to say it.

I watched your videos, mate. The footage honestly wasn’t amazing-OMG-impressive for highlights. You’re good and all, but that’s not highlight-worthy play. Especially the O/N video with [EviL]. They barely even fought aside from a few rangers pressing 1 and 4 every so often, often being so stupid as to target the more durable of your party members who have a plethora of reflects and mitigation. It was cool and all, but hardly a nail-biter-ICan’tBelieveThatJustHappened.jpeg

It’d have taken a decent thief or half-decent play by one or two of the many druids in the video using SS and CC to shred your tempest. It didn’t happen, though, because your enemies weren’t any good.

Like I said, the roaming is there. The skilled play is not. So what’s the point if your opponents are so sub-par? What’s the point if everyone just runs cheese with no counter (and tempest is very far from that category, mind you)? Or if something is totally imbalanced, everyone knows it, and ANet lacks the willingness to fix it? It’s one thing to min-max to be hyper-effective in something. Such shouldn’t come without tradeoffs, though. That’s what happened in HoT. We’re pushing more or less Build Wars 2. That’s not competitive for an action-based game and for those who build to take advantage of those features, but have mathematically low chances of winning based on build decisions. That’s why I hate sPvP.

Everything roaming is running cheese right now, the idea with roaming is to maximize your survivability as well as damage.

The early premise of roaming and havoc was to take objectives while the enemy main groups are occupied, and/or to occupy the main enemy group as best as possible if confronted, such that the main allied group could take objectives. It let small, organized communities have a distinct impact on the WvW score, empowering them, and pushed the overall success of the server. The incentive of doing it is to get good fights that aren’t karma-trains/lag-out-blobs using the build diversity available in WvW to create such dynamic environments.

I’m not going to tell you how to play, because that’s none of my business, but how exactly to build one’s character in the concept of roaming has no universal definition. If it was to just run the most OP builds and maximize the damage output per unit of defense, again, why not play sPvP where the entire game mode is catered to doing so and is designed to reward the players who do it best? Because of theorycrafting? C’mon, most people can optimize stats. That’s why sPvP is so rigid and frankly, so boring. The more people push for zero-tradeoffs, the more stagnant and boring the game gets. And that’s what’s in WvW right now, which is why I said for the guy not to bother. The dynamism is pretty much all gone. It’s not that I haven’t put in the effort to take advantage of what’s available; it’s that what’s available is mathematically overpowered and I’ve identified it as such because I’ve put in the effort.

We all theorycraft, mate. I’ve put in probably half of my playtime’s-worth of doing so myself at this point between the analysis, plotting, and scripting play simulations to check for consistency in my builds. It’s great and all that people do it, and is also why sPvP has a huge number of problems since it removes this granularity, but these days with HoT, it’s not really difficult to find something semi-optimized and totally overpowered. I play what’s most fun – which often comes playing at a disadvantage – because I like the challenge. A build that’s implcittly harder to play, has more counters, etc., should just be that much better at what it does than its competition. That’s not the reality right now; the lowest-skill builds are the objective best, and people are getting carried by builds with the new HoT content, rather than playing well. The core game had a lot of sacrifices made as a compromise to most professions and builds. This no longer holds true, so weighing these decisions often becomes much easier or negligible as a whole. That’s why I personally loved to play small-scale WvW. Because it actually rewarded skilled play proportionally. Because unlike the frontline omniblob or sPvP, it wasn’t just about the numbers, as much as they helped. It was about being better than your opponent, and fighting tooth and nail in a fast-pace environment for a win.

It’s fine to disagree. It’s the notion that you pinned my negative outlook on WvW to incorrectly-implied perceptions of what I said by blatantly not paying attention, and then accused me of playing poorly for making claims that the quality is no longer there/elites/gear combos are busted OP, and stating it all as fact as though somehow my formal analysis means nothing because of some anecdotal evidence of a few fights you’ve had that I find is ridiculous and shameful. It’s not about the stream, but the egoism, instead.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

yea roaming is pretty bad nowadays. any fight i win it is because my build is cheese and any fight i lose is because my enemies build is cheesier than mine.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

T1 is the place to be.

Ok, if so then the OP or anyone else in game looking for fights should join any other T1 World. Since BG is where the bags, I mean competition, will be found.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

yea roaming is pretty bad nowadays. any fight i win it is because my build is cheese and any fight i lose is because my enemies build is cheesier than mine.

You mean condi shatter or condi shatter with a condi built ally? Since the cheesiest game play is to call in several allies for help. I was literally 12-15 v’d earlier today by DB because I wrecked 5 or 6 solo roamers who tried to take SEC and SET from me Just sad, very sad

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

in WvW

XTR.9604

Your guildmates pretty much spam your guild’s stream every post they make on these boards. The egoism is getting annoying in all honesty, and I’m not the first to say it.

Who exactly? I am the only person in my guild that even visits this forum lol. I don’t really care if I am elitist and sharing my videos makes you sad. I know I am good at the game and I am hoping that maybe someone will learn from my videos, which is why I actually post them and share my builds with people. I am trying to improve the community and promoting people to get better at the game where all you’re doing is saying how bad the state of the game is and doing nothing to improve it.

I watched your videos, mate. The footage honestly wasn’t amazing-OMG-impressive for highlights. You’re good and all, but that’s not highlight-worthy play. Especially the O/N video with [EviL]. They barely even fought aside from a few rangers pressing 1 and 4 every so often, often being so stupid as to target the more durable of your party members who have a plethora of reflects and mitigation. It was cool and all, but hardly a nail-biter-ICan’tBelieveThatJustHappened.jpeg

I’m not aiming for amazing people, most of what my videos prove is that other people are so bad at the game, not necessarily how good I am lol. I’ve welcomed any and everyone to 1v1 me and so many like yourself are willing to talk trash but so few are willing to actually get caught on video losing fights to me. Funny how that works.

It’d have taken a decent thief or half-decent play by one or two of the many druids in the video using SS and CC to shred your tempest. It didn’t happen, though, because your enemies weren’t any good.

Indeed, they’re not good. I agree completely.

Like I said, the roaming is there. The skilled play is not. So what’s the point if your opponents are so sub-par?

The bags are there, I do run in to some half decent players still, but it doesn’t really mean much since they still don’t win the fights.

What’s the point if everyone just runs cheese with no counter (and tempest is very far from that category, mind you)? Or if something is totally imbalanced, everyone knows it, and ANet lacks the willingness to fix it? It’s one thing to min-max to be hyper-effective in something. Such shouldn’t come without tradeoffs, though. That’s what happened in HoT. We’re pushing more or less Build Wars 2. That’s not competitive for an action-based game and for those who build to take advantage of those features, but have mathematically low chances of winning based on build decisions. That’s why I hate sPvP.

I get it, but my point is to counter everyone else and win the fights. Cheese condi mesmers don’t beat me like they beat everyone else because I am prepared to fight them, unlike most people. Both with a good build and skilled game play. There are several builds for several things that still win fights and I don’t always play the same thing. I have found myself playing marauder/zerk/cav ele more recently than my Celestial ele and still winning fights and still not having any issues.

The early premise of roaming and havoc was to take objectives while the enemy main groups are occupied, and/or to occupy the main enemy group as best as possible if confronted, such that the main allied group could take objectives. It let small, organized communities have a distinct impact on the WvW score, empowering them, and pushed the overall success of the server. The incentive of doing it is to get good fights that aren’t karma-trains/lag-out-blobs using the build diversity available in WvW to create such dynamic environments.

My point in WvW has always been to collect bags. I prefer to do so either solo or with a smaller group most of the time, the blob wars never attracted me even though it brings more bags. I avoid the blobs while roaming and just call them out to the larger groups on the map. I know my limitations.

I’m not going to tell you how to play, because that’s none of my business, but how exactly to build one’s character in the concept of roaming has no universal definition. If it was to just run the most OP builds and maximize the damage output per unit of defense, again, why not play sPvP where the entire game mode is catered to doing so and is designed to reward the players who do it best? Because of theorycrafting? C’mon, most people can optimize stats. That’s why sPvP is so rigid and frankly, so boring. The more people push for zero-tradeoffs, the more stagnant and boring the game gets. And that’s what’s in WvW right now, which is why I said for the guy not to bother. The dynamism is pretty much all gone. It’s not that I haven’t put in the effort to take advantage of what’s available; it’s that what’s available is mathematically overpowered and I’ve identified it as such because I’ve put in the effort.

PvP is too limited, sure I can use my same trait lines that work, but there is no build diversity for gearing, which is what most of my builds depend on. There are so many viable armor combinations in WvW it is insane. Few groups run all of the same builds, I’ve seen tons of different ways people build their Guardians, Warriors, Necros and Eles. Anything from Zerk to nomads, there is tons of different things that can be done. One that that is pretty static right now is Durability runes because they’re so strong, everyone is running them and if they aren’t, they should be lol.

We all theorycraft, mate. I’ve put in probably half of my playtime’s-worth of doing so myself at this point between the analysis, plotting, and scripting play simulations to check for consistency in my builds. It’s great and all that people do it, and is also why sPvP has a huge number of problems since it removes this granularity, but these days with HoT, it’s not really difficult to find something semi-optimized and totally overpowered. I play what’s most fun – which often comes playing at a disadvantage – because I like the challenge. A build that’s implcittly harder to play, has more counters, etc., should just be that much better at what it does than its competition. That’s not the reality right now; the lowest-skill builds are the objective best, and people are getting carried by builds with the new HoT content, rather than playing well. The core game had a lot of sacrifices made as a compromise to most professions and builds. This no longer holds true, so weighing these decisions often becomes much easier or negligible as a whole.

Can’t really argue there, but that is just the state of the game now that people have figured out how the dynamics of the game work. I don’t know that HoT is completely to blame but now people have figured out the elite specs as well. It is just how things work, people figure stuff out like builds or visit sites like metabattle or mine, or their guilds.

It’s fine to disagree. It’s the notion that you pinned my negative outlook on WvW to incorrectly-implied perceptions of what I said by blatantly not paying attention, and then accused me of playing poorly for making claims that the quality is no longer there/elites/gear combos are busted OP, and stating it all as fact as though somehow my formal analysis means nothing because of some anecdotal evidence of a few fights you’ve had that I find is ridiculous and shameful. It’s not about the stream, but the egoism, instead.

The thing is, the quality of roamers hasn’t changed – most of them have always been easy targets and just bags in general. Some people have gotten very good at roaming, like myself and my guild since that is primarily what we have done for over 3 years. Back when roaming was huge, no one was really any good, there were so few REALLY good roamers that were ever note worthy even back then when the roaming scene was booming, it was just a high number of people roaming compared to today. There are few “roaming guilds” left, I will agree to that – but there are still plenty of roamers and plenty of guilds that run with smaller groups on their “off raid” nights that bring me fights. So roaming scene is not dead, it is just easy to be king of lol.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

I think that is how it works in most if not all competitive modes in games where players craft their builds. Call it “Build of the Month”, “Munchkin Build”, etc it applies in almost every case for games like GW2.

I remember Munchkin Builds all the way back to the 70s playing DnD with a dart throwing Ranger that was basically unhittable and dished ridiculous damage which is not so different than several GW2 builds.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

DeceiverX.8361

I think that is how it works in most if not all competitive modes in games where players craft their builds. Call it “Build of the Month”, “Munchkin Build”, etc it applies in almost every case for games like GW2.

I remember Munchkin Builds all the way back to the 70s playing DnD with a dart throwing Ranger that was basically unhittable and dished ridiculous damage which is not so different than several GW2 builds.

Only to a degree. The better-designed a game is, the less ridiculous these edge cases can be.

All games can be broken down into mathematical equations or graphs. Complexity increases the difficulty of doing so, but it’s attainable. Even basic math and relatively minor graphing can provide pretty obvious demonstration that most of the new content in GW2 is totally imbalanced, without even needing to get into the subjective risk/reward analysis which is often data-driven.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Only to a degree. The better-designed a game is, the less ridiculous these edge cases can be.

True but in my experience GW2 actually has more variety in this regard than most MMOs that have a mode like this. In GW2, highly skilled players on non-meta builds can wreck meta builds. Other games in this genre typically revolve around rotation memorization which is very difficult to counter when they have a significant meta advantage.

Other games: ESO with the Vampires utterly dominated for a long time. Warhammer… Bright Wizards were beastly. Even the vaunted DAoC had their share with healer builds, Bonedancers and a variety of stealthers that make GW2 gank squads pale in comparison.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Lol T1 roaming….

Lol at T1 roaming as well, total joke up there.

Not to mention BG having the best players, lol!

downed state is bad for PVP