why so much QQ about zergs?

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

I don’t get y everyone complains about zergs. Many people say that people should use more strategy yet the zerg is one of the best strategies there is at times. If u want to capture a key point on the map what r u gonna do? Either send Ur main zerg somewhere else to distract the enemy while a team tries to ninja it or u send mass force there and take it before they can react. And what about defending? If u hold a key point that is under attack are u gonna only send 5 people to defend it? Probably not, Ur gonna send a zerg to wipe them if it’s a small attack or to defend if its a large attack. If a tower is defended by 10 people that know what they r doing its probably gonna take 20 people tocap it. There r times a large force is needed it’s just how it is. If something was done to eliminate zergs then wvw would be finished. So to all u zerg guild when someone tries to flame u just laugh at them. U probably already rolled them multiple times which is y they cry.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Because superior numbers is the lamest way to win.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Ordibble.3092

Ordibble.3092

Ego = 1/m x average kitten size^2

This is relative of course between the mass of force A and the mass of force B.

in WvW

Posted by: xxxzavulonxxx.8413

xxxzavulonxxx.8413

My problem with zergs is not so much losing to them. It is that the zerglings do not learn valuable tactics.

On my server, we have a minority of players who lay siege weapons down to defend, who upgrade stuff.

People just run around pew pewing and not contributing to the team in effective manners sometimes.

[SU]

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

Then how r u suppose to take the bay when there r 12 sup arrow carts on u in the lords room? Or 5 balistas in the hallway to the hills lord room (or any choke point for that matter) ? People don’t seem to get that wvw is about large groups working to together if u don’t like it go do spvp

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Because everyone thinks they’re awesome pvp gods who don’t deserve to lose just because the enemy gathered up more people.

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

My problem with zergs is not so much losing to them. It is that the zerglings do not learn valuable tactics.

On my server, we have a minority of players who lay siege weapons down to defend, who upgrade stuff.

People just run around pew pewing and not contributing to the team in effective manners sometimes.

I share Ur opinion here that they don’t learn tactics. With that being said there r tactics to be used while in a zerg that they can be taught ( if they listen :-p ). As for siege I usually don’t like people throwing down siege without asking cause many times it is bad placement or wrong thing to use and I try not to get mad cause I know they just want to help

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.7624

Rob.7624

Erh..

I can buff my 15man zerg up enough to wipe a 30man zerg easily.
Guardian might spam, passive healing, protection etc etc. With Reaper of grenth and a G sword.

Hits 5 people at a time for 3 seconds.
Thats half their zerg poisoned and chilled enough for my dudes to turn them into a paste.

Tactical Commander is Tactical.

Commander Bird Song
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

Erh..

I can buff my 15man zerg up enough to wipe a 30man zerg easily.
Guardian might spam, passive healing, protection etc etc. With Reaper of grenth and a G sword.

Hits 5 people at a time for 3 seconds.
Thats half their zerg poisoned and chilled enough for my dudes to turn them into a paste.

Tactical Commander is Tactical.

And the next time they strip all the conditions and turn them into conditions AND u insta wipe ( I’ve seen it done). But once again tactic and skill is required for that weather there’s 5 or 50 people. Just because there is a massive group doesn’t mean they don’t use tactic and skill

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Glog.4275

Glog.4275

Its the night zerging that annoys me. Its almost as if you cant night zerg you cant win WvW. Prime hours are fun tho, zerging vs zerging. Just after 1-2am our server pretty much goes to bed.

Sleeeep!

in WvW

Posted by: Shady C.5041

Shady C.5041

People QQ about zergs because they play Thief and want to 1v1 someone and be able to cap a point for it in a hundred person game.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I don’t get y everyone complains about zergs. Many people say that people should use more strategy yet the zerg is one of the best strategies there is at times.
[..]
U probably already rolled them multiple times which is y they cry.

Apart from this looking like a text message, I agree with it completely.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

I don’t get y everyone complains about zergs. Many people say that people should use more strategy yet the zerg is one of the best strategies there is at times.
[..]
U probably already rolled them multiple times which is y they cry.

Apart from this looking like a text message, I agree with it completely.

Well I did post it with my phone :-p

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

Nothing wrong with zerging in itself, it is an issue of balance, the design of WvW in GW2 (small maps, objectives very close together, the speed a zerg can take down an objective, etc) simply favours zerging far too much, which makes for a more shallow, not as good as it could be, WvW.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

Nobody likes to lose against vastly superior numbers. When they do, the easiest thing to blame is…vastly superior numbers.

in WvW

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Zergs are, for the most part, the oasis of the newbies and the forever newbies.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

If you don’t like zergs, play Protoss…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

Nowadays term zerg is used in mmo games to describe a force consisted of a large group of players who use numbers rather then strategy to defeat the enemy, therefore requiring no skill. This tactics is commonly known as zerging.

Using numbers as a way to win, that’s why people have a problem with it.

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in WvW

Posted by: Tortun.5946

Tortun.5946

Zergs don’t learn or think for themselves… they don’t think of the group only fast Karma and Silver/XP.

A zerg thinks keeps/towers/camps magically upgrade themselves, they don’t think of the greater good, the point of sacrificing their current capping objective to come and save the T3 keep thats under attack.

There should be rewards for upgrading positions, there should be rewards for laying down siege when a keep is contested etc… there needs to be a reward system in place that rewards those who actually play the game tactically and think about upgrading, protecting what’s theirs.

Tortun – Protector of Gandara and Bessie!
WvWvW Player Who Doesn’t Have Much of A Clue

in WvW

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

To whoever said “zerging is one of the best tactics of all time” in GW2. yes I will agree with you because the game mechanics favor it. If they got rid of the downed state you would see a different story.

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in WvW

Posted by: jaif.3518

jaif.3518

Being totally serious – just don’t read those QQ posts. A lot of ’em are just people blowing off steam, some are more serious, but either way none of it is helpful.

I see zergs on all 3 sides, small ninja groups, and everything in between. I’ve watched us go from idiot mob to efficient machine with a very slight change in players. It’s all part of the game.

Just focus on your play, individual and team, and don’t worry about everybody else. Think about what you can do better, not what you hate, and you’ll have more fun.

-Jeff

in WvW

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

Unfortunately zergs increase culling so that would be the only thing I’d hate. Being part of a zerg or running into one is no problem for me (as long as I can see it)… :P

in WvW

Posted by: Sol.4317

Sol.4317

The Zerg was used on Dday against a fortified defensive beachhead. it took massive coordination to achieve. Sometimes its the tactic of necessity.
When we as a guild run a zerg, we take something, We use those of the zerg that listen to run supplies to build seiges, upgrades etc. while thats happening the zerg moves onward. We see the Zerg as support for those that put out offensive seige, attack defensive seige, and move to intercept ememy zergs.
We also use the main Zerg force as a huge distraction by having one of our commanders lead it to a enemy keep and having 2-3 spec forces go out and take key locations. Sometimes we even get it all. bonus for us
Zergs are legit tactics, they aint gonna stop

Alfric the Wolf
Guild-Obsidian Fear
Level 80 Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Jonny.9370

Jonny.9370

Nowadays term zerg is used in mmo games to describe a force consisted of a large group of players who use numbers rather then strategy to defeat the enemy, therefore requiring no skill. This tactics is commonly known as zerging.

Using numbers as a way to win, that’s why people have a problem with it.

Nowadays? Zerging has ALWAYS had the same meaning. If anyone doesn’t know, its from a popular StarCraft tactic used with the Zerg race, which was centered around building as many of the cheapest units available(zerglings) as possible as quickly as possible. You would then take all of your units and attack a single point hoping to win by simply overwhelming your opponent through sheer numbers, even if he technically had stronger(but fewer) units. 1 zergling would definitely lose to 1 marine, but 50 zerglings will faceroll 5 marines then proceed to eating his homebase.

This is why its so easy to transfer to other games. It doesn’t matter if the enemy team has 10 of the absolute best players on their team if you hit them with 100 people simply mashing 1-9 on their keyboard at random. My bet would be on the 100 mediocre people beating the elites(albiet with heavy losses lol)

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I don’t hate zergs, but that’s probably because I love working with Siege weapons, particularly defensively. It’s fun finding places to set up siege in a way that maximizes defense and effectiveness and tactics like trebbing Dreadfall Bay from Blueveil and Garrison.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: Raffie.7865

Raffie.7865

5 ppl vs 20+ everytime they turn around.
Gets annoying.

www.infowars.com and also lookup Agenda 21
www.graystatemovie.com its coming if you like it or not.

in WvW

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

I usually never go with the zerg b/c i don’t feel like i did something. I usually run with a small group(5 people or so)and if we take out a small zerg or take a keep under there noise then it feels like i did something for the server.

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

in WvW

Posted by: Darx.6798

Darx.6798

The only time 5 people can take a tower is when they are PvDoor, and for 5 people to take a keep is pure BS. Pls fraps how u take a keep with 5 people without exploit.

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

Ideea of zerg in WvWvW
-run with zerg – spam aoe – 100 kills in 3 fights
-Run solo * prove your “skill” 5 kills in 30 minutes

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

The Killbots? A trifle. It was simply a matter of outsmarting them. You see Killbots have a pre-set kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them; until they reached their limit and shut down.

Kif…show them the medal I won.

in WvW

Posted by: Edelweiss.3206

Edelweiss.3206

“I have far too many troops attacking this position……”

Said no General ever

in WvW

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Ideea of zerg in WvWvW
-run with zerg – spam aoe – 100 kills in 3 fights

Check out the last bit of the 12/16 update notes.

The devs are working on the AoE ‘meta’ saying that its too useful for too little risk.

In other words, you can expect one of three things to change about AoEs:

1. A maximum limit of AoE spells in a specific area
  2. A ‘channelling’ requirement to AoE spells which can be interrupted
  3. A reduction in duration or effectiveness of AoE spells

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The only time 5 people can take a tower is when they are PvDoor, and for 5 people to take a keep is pure BS. Pls fraps how u take a keep with 5 people without exploit.

You serious? how about 2 players instead of 5? Now.. what options besides pvdoor you have in WvW??

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: pigtaro.2749

pigtaro.2749

If you don’t like zergs, play Protoss…

That is like e best comment I seen in this forum.

Seriously, most players just play wvw to kill something. Maybe taking the stress off real life. These ppl just want to pewpew some ‘human’ opponents. The easiest way is to follow e crowd. I suspect these ppl dun even visit this forum, let alone discuss about the finer art of strategy.

So with this Zerg around, it is up to the commanders or some leaders to make use of them to win objectives. My point is Zerg is a tool. Incorporate it into your strategy.

in WvW

Posted by: Mumu.6203

Mumu.6203

MMORPG : Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games

Go play Street Fighter if you want 1vs1

Good zerg requires a hell of a coordination it’s not just about following the blue triangle.

(edited by Mumu.6203)

in WvW

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Many people are using zergs to farm karma easily. These zergs are very lousy in holding objectives for a longer time.

Well used and coordinated zergs are very useful. They transfer to other maps to free beleaguered towers. They swarm to conquer and hold camps. They build upgrades in towers and fortresses. They reunite on hot spots if necessary.

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Zergs are simply the lowest and least tactical incarnation of WvW PvP. They require little in terms of tactics and coordination and are very accessible.

Than in itself isn’t a bad thing as it gives casual players a way to contribute.

It is problematic however when zerging becomes the most effective way to play and when certain game-mechanics like rezzing encourage you to zerg.

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Then how r u suppose to take the bay when there r 12 sup arrow carts on u in the lords room? Or 5 balistas in the hallway to the hills lord room (or any choke point for that matter) ? People don’t seem to get that wvw is about large groups working to together if u don’t like it go do spvp

It used to be a mesmer would make their way in and portal you. But now that has been limited to 20 users, but nothing stopping zergs from using more than one mesmer.
Guardians can then protect you from projectiles, apparently; cos mine whenever I use my guardian’s skills he still gets hit.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Whining starts when own zerg isn’t big enough. Every guild think that their zerg size is only right size.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

Whining starts when own zerg isn’t big enough. Every guild think that their zerg size is only right size.

Zerg?
Sometimes i read in map channel “24 man zerg going from x to y” is this big enought?

in WvW

Posted by: Waking.6052

Waking.6052

Commanders can use the zerg strategically and have fun at the same time if they are good commanders.

Guardian Commander “The Lord Saves”
Mesmer Commander “The Lord Knows”
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Preacher.4836

Preacher.4836

My one and only problem with Zergs is that the Downed State becomes broken in a fight with 3 to 1 ratios. Even if the smaller group takes them by surprise and uses better tactics/group design. The Zerg will win because the small group can’t finish off the downed players fast enough.

Preacher Roy-Guardian, Preacherroy-Engineer, Necro Preacher-Necromancer, Preacher Clone-Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

sPvP is the crossed swords icon at the top of your screen. Barring that, you’re going to have to learn to beat superior numbers. It’s part of the game, and if you only roam in a 5-man, it’s something you will have to get used to. Not everybody can dedicate 50+ hours a week to playing a video game.

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Fengist.5739

Fengist.5739

When the reward system benefits those that TAKE from other teams more than it benefits them to HOLD what they have, you’ll always have zergs.

Now I’m a noob but I’m already seeing this and am rather disappointed in how it works. On our server the night zerg logs in and pretty much cleans house. Two entire maps or more are completely converted to our color. Within 30 minutes of them leaving, you can barely find 3 people in WvW. Then, the other two teams slowly regain their share. Tonite for example, the zerg took all of Eternal and almost immediately logged out. Before cannon build sites could even pop on SM, an enemy team of 10 players had taken it back. There was no one logged in to defend it.

Funny thing is, I see how these zerg players could care less. Their goal isn’t to actually hold a keep. There’s not enough rewards so why even try? The more keeps and towers that the enemy takes back, the more they stand to gain when they log in the next night. To prove my point, no guild even bothered to claim SM.

If you’re levelling a new character you wanna be in that zerg. Gaining levels is quick and the xp bar moves like it’s on roller skates. You DON’T wanna have to squat in some keep for hours sitting behind a cannon hitting 1,2,3 defending it because you gain little or nothing. You’d be better off PvE’ing.

As long as zerg behavior is rewarded and defending is pointless (on a reward basis, not a personal satisfaction basis), you’ll have nothing but zergs.

It’s the 21’st century, people don’t do anything unless it benefits them directly.

I just thank the dev’s that they had the foresight to reward those that revive otherwise I’d spend most of my time in the map view looking for a waypoint.

in WvW

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Good zerg requires a hell of a coordination it’s not just about following the blue triangle.

this is one of the dumbest things i’ve ever read.
The only reason why someone likes to go in a zerg is that he has no skill and has to rely on numbers to win.
Zerging is not funny at all and require no strategy nor skill; it is just “cast the spell before the target dies so maybe i can get something”
How can you tell if you are a good player when you just kill ppl in 50 vs 5 ?
Go buy some skill and then split up!

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Kalizaar.4729

Kalizaar.4729

The only reason why someone likes to go in a zerg is that he has no skill and has to rely on numbers to win.
Zerging is not funny at all and require no strategy nor skill; it is just “cast the spell before the target dies so maybe i can get something”

Rambo was just a movie character. Numbers win wars, or vastly superior technology. A skilled player may be a better player but they aren’t vastly better. Therefore you still need numbers. Especially with having the downed mechanic to compensate for.

It’s silly to ridicule players for playing a game the way it was designed. Especially considering for all you know that zerg that just killed you might have had more skilled players in it than you had with you. Zergs are faceless. You shouldn’t assume each character doesn’t know what they’re doing.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

When the reward system benefits those that TAKE from other teams more than it benefits them to HOLD what they have, you’ll always have zergs.

(…)
Funny thing is, I see how these zerg players could care less. Their goal isn’t to actually hold a keep. There’s not enough rewards so why even try? The more keeps and towers that the enemy takes back, the more they stand to gain when they log in the next night. To prove my point, no guild even bothered to claim SM.

(…)
As long as zerg behavior is rewarded and defending is pointless (on a reward basis, not a personal satisfaction basis), you’ll have nothing but zergs.

It’s the 21’st century, people don’t do anything unless it benefits them directly.

I just thank the dev’s that they had the foresight to reward those that revive otherwise I’d spend most of my time in the map view looking for a waypoint.

They just implementad JQ from Guildwars in huge scale….

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jade_Quarry

It would be better to see wich guild could maintain each castle/camp/tower for longuer time for each 7 days a chest would drop, that way we could have dedicated guilds trying to be in the castles if necessary or fighting for it.
Also the orbs of power could be transformed into altairs of power wich if destroyed would need to be constructed again (as castle walls are) and upgraded for buffs.
W v W is a wonderfull game design as other old games have similiar systems, yet more complex, and i belive Anet got imagination to grow on W vs W it was what lot of us continued from gw to gw2 imo.

in WvW

Posted by: Mumu.6203

Mumu.6203

Of course it requires no strategy when it’s 50 vs 5 captain obvious -_- I’m talking about the 50 vs 50 zergs …

People also make zerg so they don’t have to make 20 round trip to the supply depot to build siege to take a castle not because they have no skill btw WvWvW is all about capturing points not who’s the best duelist.

in WvW

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

No… have to agree with Mumu on this.
I constantly hear complaints about how things in MMOs need a team of people to overcome. That’s what that second ‘M’ is there for.
/MULTIPLAYER/.
WvW exemplifies that second ‘M’ when it comes to teamwork, whether its a 5 man raid team, or a 25+ man zerg.
If all you want is 1 vs 1 ‘Street Fighter’ then go play that game or head over to sPvP

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

No… have to agree with Mumu on this.
I constantly hear complaints about how things in MMOs need a team of people to overcome. That’s what that second ‘M’ is there for.
/MULTIPLAYER/.
WvW exemplifies that second ‘M’ when it comes to teamwork, whether its a 5 man raid team, or a 25+ man zerg.
If all you want is 1 vs 1 ‘Street Fighter’ then go play that game or head over to sPvP

Even sPvP need some teamwork or you’ll get yourself being farmed while you team suffer an awfull loss…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing