Achievement Grind for playing the story?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

I’m in a bad dream, I believe. I hated achievements from the first day on and they got more and more and more relevant each update. Trying to force people to play the living story with hiding rewards behind a stupid achievement wall is one thing. But actually gating content behind achievements is not acceptable. I want to ignore the kitten achievements but I can’t if I want to play the story (and Mad Kings story is one I really care about since gw1). GW2 has already too few stories and most of them are bad. And no this. Please make it reverse and if not (I actually don’t think it’s possible at this point in time) DON’T do this EVER again.

I was actually happy to see hallooween coming back because it was a really good event the first time as well as in gw1. But this takes my disappointment in gw2 and anet’s design choices to another level of bottomless depth.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Cosmos.1628

Cosmos.1628

I agree this is so stupid!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

I’m in a bad dream, I believe.

unfortunately you are not dreaming.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Even dailies count towards the meta achievement. If you don’t want to grind away on the Halloween achievements (which by the way, you don’t have to. Just do the content sparingly, jump into WvW, do something different), you can still see the story by doing the Halloween dailies that appear.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And technically you won’t have to do any of them, since you can join a party and finish the story as long as someone else have done the meta.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: tanf.8917

tanf.8917

True. It was nice when it was easy going actually, but i don’t like it anymore. Things in this game relying on achievements way too much, and no option for new players to catch up (i’m playing since release btw).
I say make a lvl cap to it, make so the maximum points will be like 20k or 30k or whatever just make it so you can get no more past a certain number. You will still get daily rewards just not points, this way others will be able to catch up eventually, but yeah, this will never happen.

in Blood and Madness

Miragee.3604

Even dailies count towards the meta achievement. If you don’t want to grind away on the Halloween achievements (which by the way, you don’t have to. Just do the content sparingly, jump into WvW, do something different), you can still see the story by doing the Halloween dailies that appear.

Well, grinding different achievements is not making it any better… You say this like “yeah if you don’t like achievements, just do these other achievements”. That doesn’t work.

And technically you won’t have to do any of them, since you can join a party and finish the story as long as someone else have done the meta.

Ah thanks. I think I will do that. The system itself is still not acceptable though.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Achievements is the only method they have of tracking progress in a story right now. That’s why it’s the method used for every Living Story.

Maybe they’ll develop a way for Living Story to serve outside of achievements, but until then, this is what we got, which honestly ain’t that bad. More achievement points for those account rewards? – YES PLEASE!

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Smaxx.2318

Smaxx.2318

Achievements is the only method they have of tracking progress in a story right now. That’s why it’s the method used for every Living Story.

Completely valid point (and also the way I understand this issue). However, there’s a difference between gating the content behind some achievements, so people actually do something as part of the “quest”, and locking content behind grind. While not all achievements are grindy and there’ll most likely be easy daily achievements as well, most will still consider it “work” rather than “fun” or (more important) “experiencing the living story”.

If I’d be in charge, I’d create two achievement groups (similar to how they did the Tequatl remake; although they splitted permanent and temporary content):

• A small achievement group locking the story progress. This would include generic tasks like “visit the Labyrinth”, “kill the Lich”, “visit the Clock Tower”, maybe even “close 5 doors”. This is reasonable and everyone can complete it in one or two afternoons on their own schedule.
  • A second achievement group would then include the other achievements for the OCD people who just love hunting achievement points, want to complete everything , show they’ve beaten the very special boss or the extra hard jumping puzzle, etc. Here’d be achievements like “close 50 doors”, “reach the top of the Clock Tower”, or “open 100 candy bags”, etc.

Problem solved, everyone would be happy. Will they do it (in future events)? Unfortunately (and most likely) not.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There is however no achievement that you NEED to do that requires grind.
If you don’t want the grindy ones, simply do the dailies each day and you should finish it in a few days.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The problem is that I don’t think they can work fast enough to give you decent content and a decent storyline.

in Blood and Madness

Miragee.3604

Maybe they’ll develop a way for Living Story to serve outside of achievements, but until then, this is what we got, which honestly ain’t that bad. More achievement points for those account rewards? – YES PLEASE!

Achievement Points, -Rewards and their huge Lists are generally a bad thing for the game. Completly throw over everything they want their game to be like.
I think it is time to think about traditional quests to deliver the story better. DE’s and Achievements are both not capable system of delivering a story well.

There is however no achievement that you NEED to do that requires grind.
If you don’t want the grindy ones, simply do the dailies each day and you should finish it in a few days.

Todays daily was violating 5 pumpkins. Sounds dumb. Is dumb. Like killing 10 rats. It’s grindy. Also you should be aware that I have a deep hate against achievements in general. And it grows up the more achievements become relevant. I hate systems that tell me exactly to do pointless things that have nothing to do with what I want and don’t let me the option to decide to do what I want and still reach my goal.

The problem is that I don’t think they can work fast enough to give you decent content and a decent storyline.

Oh, they certainly did in gw1.

in Blood and Madness

Xae Isareth.1364

^ GW1 didn’t have bi-weekly updates. They promised 6 monthly ones and still fell short of that. It was also very likely a simpler game to update, for a start, the graphics are not as good as GW2.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Smaxx.2318

Smaxx.2318

Possible, but it’s also like they could make only one content update per month, giving each month it’s own special theme. You’d always get one content patch, one balancing patch. Everyone happy. They’re forcing the bi-weekly updates on their own. I’m happy to wait a bit more for more/better content, which would also give completionists more time to finish everything.

Right now we get pretty much the same content once every 2-4 weeks with slightly modifications or different skins/themes. I’d consider that worse then slower updates, but maybe I’m just used to different schedules (like one or two expansions/big patches a year).

in Blood and Madness

Miragee.3604

^ GW1 didn’t have bi-weekly updates. They promised 6 monthly ones and still fell short of that. It was also very likely a simpler game to update, for a start, the graphics are not as good as GW2.

I actually don’t care for numbers but actually quality and mass. It doesn’t matter if you get 24 updates a year you still get way less content than in one patch per year. On top of that every of these little updates doesn’t ft well together with each other and feels seperated from the world.

In the first year of gw1, that game got so much more story than gw2 did in the first year. And the quality was much higher.
And wayne graphics. I don’t care about them. This is the last argument I would make when deciding if a game is good or not. What counts is gameplay (which contains different things varieying with different genres). Especially for this point, graphics doesn’t matter at all. How do graphics affect writing a good story? How do graphics affect creating a good system to deliver a story well. I can say to your for sure: Not a single bit.

(edited by Miragee.3604)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Gotta keep them daily log-in metrics up.

in Blood and Madness

Xae Isareth.1364

I actually don’t care for numbers but actually quality and mass. It doesn’t matter if you get 24 updates a year you still get way less content than in one patch per year. On top of that every of these little updates doesn’t ft well together with each other and feels seperated from the world.

In the first year of gw1, that game got so much more story than gw2 did in the first year. And the quality was much higher.
And wayne graphics. I don’t care about them. This is the last argument I would make when deciding if a game is good or not. What counts is gameplay (which contains different things varieying with different genres). Especially for this point, graphics doesn’t matter at all. How do graphics affect writing a good story? How do graphics affect creating a good system to deliver a story well. I can say to your for sure: Not a single bit.

I didn’t say graphics are needed to create lore. I implied that graphics helps to sell your game.

Otherwise developers wouldn’t be spending millions improving them and every MMO we have would still be running on RuneScape classic graphics. You may not care but the public clearly does.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Gotta keep them daily log-in metrics up.

They would never!

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The only grind are the doors since you have to do them in the labyrinth as outside the Mad Realm you mostly just get doors to the Mad Realm rather than events. Either that or the past 30 min I spent I had very very bad luck.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

Guys, you can join a party and do the second story instance if one party member has already completed the “grind”.. So what’s the problem? Just use the LFG tool to find such a player (although if I’m counting the achievements correctly, no player could have done that yet).