Achivement Points.

Achivement Points.

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Hence why I gave examples to mitigate the damages via more achievements. If they want to keep up a leaderboard about this , then yes, it should be fair.

So you want to take points from people who have already earned them and then tell them that to get back to where they were as far as points go, they have to earn them again?

The kitten storm that would follow if such a change was made would be amazing to see.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Hence why I gave examples to mitigate the damages via more achievements. If they want to keep up a leaderboard about this , then yes, it should be fair.

So you want to take points from people who have already earned them and then tell them that to get back to where they were as far as points go, they have to earn them again?

The kitten storm that would follow if such a change was made would be amazing to see.

We’re not saying points should be removed. We’re saying that the points should not be counted towards the rewards, leaving the leaderboards intact. Nothing more or less.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Valmarius.4150

Valmarius.4150

They would need to. I think over 40% of all possible points are from dailies/monthlies only. If they had the same thresholds for both either everything would be really easily obtainable (if dailies counted and low threshold) or they would be completely impossible to get (if dailies didn’t count and high threshold).

Think about it for a second. If dailies count high thresholds will be needed or they risk making the system superfluous. If dailies do not count lower thresholds will be used to allow people to actually get the rewards. Make sense?

Are you also for removing points gained from the living story? It’s all temp content, that once missed, can never be redone. Those possible points are gone forever. Is counting those points also “gating” stuff from new players?

I also think you’re missing the probability that the rewards that are being introduced now will not be the only rewards ever to be on offer. Going in to the future, there will be more and more rewards added, at higher point requirements. How does this fit in to your point of view? In a year+, when there are rewards that require between 10-20k points, if not more, how do we go about treating new players then? Tell them, ‘oh hey, you could have been earning extra AP just doing your dailies, but we took that away so you can get your rewards quicker…wait…’ I’m sure they’ll be appreciative of your efforts.

Achivement Points.

fellyn.5083

We’re not saying points should be removed. We’re saying that the points should not be counted towards the rewards, leaving the leaderboards intact. Nothing more or less.

And how do you know they will be? From the info that anet has released so far it says that you will have to complete certain achievements to unlock rewards. Hence the whole “new UI to track achievement progress” thing they are adding. It’s not based on how many achievement points you have so far, which is what this entire argument that dailies/monthlies shouldn’t count is based on.

It’s all speculation at best and pointless to worry about until we know exactly how it will work.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Heapheaus.5238

Heapheaus.5238

They’ve done worse in gw1, let people cry. BTW people used to have over 40k from salvaging, they’ve got over it.

Achivement Points.

fellyn.5083

They’ve done worse in gw1, let people cry. BTW people used to have over 40k from salvaging, they’ve got over it.

They got over it because it was a blatant exploit and they likely knew it would be fixed.

They didn’t get those points from salvaging. That costs to much. It was from transmuting, which also had an unlimited tier, and it just so happened that you could get unlimited transmuting items from the HoM. Hence exploit and fix.

And what did they do in GW1 that was much worse? I played GW1 from the first day it was out until well after Eye of the North came out and I don’t remember anything happening on the scale of what you are proposing.

Still, none of that changes the fact that you still don’t know how it’s going to work so complaining about it prematurely just makes you look like a whiny brat.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Achivement Points.

Heapheaus.5238

They got over it because it was a blatant exploit and they likely knew it would be fixed.

And it wasn’t from salvaging. That costs to much. It was from transmuting, which also had an unlimited tier, and it just so happened that you could get unlimited transmuting items from the HoM.

And what did they do in GW1 that was much worse? I played GW1 from the first day it was out until well after Eye of the North came out and I don’t remember anything happening on the scale of what you are proposing.

Transmutation glitch was fixed a LONG time ago. Salvaging wasn’t an exploit, it simply wasn’t capped. And yes, I have a personal friend who had over 15k achievement points off of salvaging alone. He played the trading post in a way that required him to salvage 1000s upon 1000s of mats. For a while he owned 60-80% of the t2 or t3(IDR) leather. Yes he was very rich in game, and he quit about 3 months ago. Kiera {somthing} was his charecter’s name.

Achivement Points.

fellyn.5083

And it wasn’t from salvaging. That costs to much. It was from transmuting, which also had an unlimited tier, and it just so happened that you could get unlimited transmuting items from the HoM.

Transmutation glitch was fixed a LONG time ago. Salvaging wasn’t an exploit, it simply wasn’t capped. And yes, I have a personal friend who had over 15k achievement points off of salvaging alone. He played the trading post in a way that required him to salvage 1000s upon 1000s of mats. For a while he owned 60-80% of the t2 or t3(IDR) leather. Yes he was very rich in game, and he quit about 3 months ago. Kiera {somthing} was his charecter’s name.

Congratulations? I’m not sure what any of that has to do with the topic at hand, tbh.

Achivement Points.

Heapheaus.5238

Congratulations? I’m not sure what any of that has to do with the topic at hand, tbh.

Seems your reading comprehension skills are sub par.

Achivement Points.

fellyn.5083

Seems your reading comprehension skills are sub par.

I think I read what you typed perfectly fine. What I’m not getting is what your friend that you took 2 or 3 sentences to talk about has to do with the up coming achievement rewards and why you think daily/monthly achievement points should be capped when we don’t even know how the system will work yet.

Achivement Points.

SynfulChaot.3169

We don’t know how it will work. This is simply speculation and discussion around said speculation. Nothing more and nothing less.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Yeah, I wonder if it will be something like,

“Must have xxxx achievement points, and weapon type master completed in order to obtain insert whatever zenith weapons.

(that would be a pain for shields, and other side weapons though)

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

“Must have xxxx achievement points, and weapon type master completed in order to obtain insert whatever zenith weapons.

I would welcome that

Reaper – Anguîsh

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Spencer.1386

Spencer.1386

I like the current system of dailies and monthlies giving achievement points. Why should I be punished just because I bought the game a few months earlier than someone else? If you are trying to level the playing field then new players would have to be given gold based off average wealth too or they would be far behind in that respect as well. It makes no sense to punish older players by taking away their rewards for their time investment.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

What about achievements tied to ‘temporary content’, aren’t they kind of based on temporary events since the content is gone after a few weeks.

I’ll add a bit more to make a stronger point. Daily achievements and temporary content achievements are inherently similar in that after a certain time frame they are no longer achievable and new achievements are put in place to provide a constant stream of new activities for players.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: LostInSmoke.2590

LostInSmoke.2590

Terrible idea. Its fine how it is. People that have been playing longer, and put in more time, should be more rewarded.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I am only sitting at about 7k AP. But I would prefer it if monthlies, Dailies, and any of the unlimited ones (regardless of cap) were all removed from these totals. I have plenty of points stored in there as well but those are just for logging in everyday more or less.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Apache.7231

Apache.7231

You’d be taking people’s work and saying, you did all of dailies and got your reward, but we’re taking your future reward away. If people have played since headstart, they deserve to keep their reward that they reaped. In summary, taking away people’s AP that they’ve earned is not acceptable, nor should it happen.

Sincerely-Lord Marshal Darius (Your Thief CM ^^)

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I would welcome that

I would as well.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Antediluvian.5169

Antediluvian.5169

The worse thing is the dungeon elitism. Groups that require people to have a certain number of achievement points, for example 4k+.. that’s just retarted. And now it’ll be worse.

I can outrun a centaur.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

The one would be a pain is HORN.

(only necro or ranger which can use HORN for attack).

Achivement Points.

SynfulChaot.3169

The worse thing is the dungeon elitism. Groups that require people to have a certain number of achievement points, for example 4k+.. that’s just retarted. And now it’ll be worse.

Do what I do. See those requests and avoid the elitist kittens like the plague. They can’t get groups, after all, if people don’t join them.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: lover.8351

lover.8351

This is probably one of the most selfish ideas I’ve heard on the forums. Like seriously, you want to take away achievement points from people who decided they wanted to do their dailies instead of leveling various classes to 80?

Dedication to the game is dedication to the game, shouldn’t matter how it happened.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

I dont see any issue with the achievement points for dailies and stuff. They fit teh bill of an “achievement”, and achievements in GW2 are fairly free form anyways. I dont see why people are bothered by this. And if someone were theoretically to get every standard achievement in the game, would it be so bad if their continued gameplay awarded them some credit? Its not even like they add tons of points. You have to earn them just like anything else.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I have a better solution. Put a cap on total achievement points (similar to what they did with salvaging and dungeon achievements) which can be gained from dailies. Let it be a year, two, three, even five years worth of dailies. This will still provide incentive for the completionists while also setting a goal to aim for rather than a deep hole without bottom and the “miss it today and its gone forever” mentality.

I like this. I’m at 9000+ as well.

Having a cap would be a very fair solution. Nobody loses achievement points now, but in the long run it means that they can’t “forever win” just by doing their dailies every single day. And it would create a definite cap that people can try to achieve. As long as they keep introducing hard achievements (like the WvW ones), there will always be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Especially if they have repeatable achievements that have caps.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

Achivement Points.

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Edit: If you’re not willing to read what I and other people have said, don’t reply. The continuous stream of people who don’t follow what has been said is infuriating.
After reading about this update(which, I am very excited about) I came to the part about the achievement points, and was a little dismayed. I suggest you (Arena Net) roll back achievement points based off dailys. (At the moment I’m currently over 9000 Ap, and as proof, look up my name. This is not a low scored player complaining) I suggest this because many achievements won’t be done if you give people such an easy alternative. To make up for the loss of points from dailys you could implement more easy achievements, such as
“Get 100% world completion on X class-15points.”
or
“Get level 80 on x class-10 points.”
Easy to Hard achievements like this could mitigate the loss of points from people loosing 2-4 thousand points. Not only would they help the loss, but they would also really show who’s a more dedicated player, and bring meaning to the achievement points leaderboard. (Other then who has done the most dailys) :P

Comments and questions are welcome. Flaming isn’t. Keep it classy tyrians.
~Heapeaus / Doom Bunny / Robot Turtle / Krolen / others

I disagree for one simple reason. Guild Wars 2 was supposedly built around the design philosophy of allowing players to choose they way they want to play, to give variety as to how you can level a character and earn rewards. Achievements are achievements, points are given based on difficulty, that’s how it’s weighted.

I have played this game since beta and I played GW1 for 7+ years. I log in several days a week and play for a minimum of 3 hours when I log in. I only have around 3500 APs. I do dailies and monthlies whenever i log in. Why is the time I spend in the game less worthy of reward than yours?

Now, if ArenaNet adds chests to the end of especially hard achievements to give bonus rewards for difficult content, I have absolutely no problem with that, but don’t punish me because i enjoy different aspects of the game than you do.

I hope you didn’t find this response trolling in any way and I certainly don’t blame you for stating your viewpoint.

Achivement Points.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

My God it’s a gift. Say Thank you. And quit crying that someone else did it a different way than you and got the same gift. If you don’t want to do the dailies and get the points don’t do them, but don’t cry because someone else did do them and got the points and now is ahead of you.

This game is about diversity. You can do a lot of different things and get rewards from all of them. I personally can do with out the PvP and dungeons but I don’t expect to get the achievement for doing them, just because they are there. Nor do I demean someone who enjoys doing them because I don’t enjoy that. You don’t enjoy dailies and think they are beneath you and your lofty goals. Well fine. You don’t want those achievements because they are too easy. And they don’t poison the pool because if you did them then your lofty achievement would be ever so much more.