This is not a platformer game

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Why do you insist on making us play it like one?

I have only a minor disability affecting coordination, I know people with a lot worse, and yet Anet insists on putting achievements at the end of JPs.

Cheers.

Posted by: Andy.1943

Andy.1943

Nobody is forcing you to get them.

/thread.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

I’m severally disabled and thus cannot work, therefore I do not get paid for a job done. If you can’t do the job (JP), then you don’t get paid (Achievement). And don’t throw out the Achievement Reward system as an argument. There are two types of hindered people: those that learn to adapt and accept their situation (in this case knowing it’ll take longer to get the Achievement Rewards), and those that whine about “fairness” and “equality”.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

/thread.

I have to agree. Guild Wars 2 can be very rewarding if you simply stand in Lions Arch for a few hours. All these achievements, stories, gear, etc…they’re all just nonsense. The REAL game is how long you can stand in one spot and do nothing.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

You can always ask for assistance from other players. I’ve an Aussie in my guild who sometimes has trouble with the movement skills due to incredibad lag. I portalled him, and whoever was around, to several of the harder to get crystals. I’m sure you could find someone to assist you in such a fashion.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: Salahn.8256

Salahn.8256

There are a lot of friendly mesmers out there, maybe if you realy want to get to the end find a couple and work with them and their portals to get to the end

It’s not just people with disabilitys who cant do the jumping puzzles, the latest diving goggles on the bazzar airship, I was up there for nearly an hour giving people portals up and another mesmer took over from me afterwards.

If you cant find a team to help and your on EU servers, feel free to come to Ruins of Surmia server and send me a tell and well see if we can help.

Andy.1943

/thread.

I have to agree. Guild Wars 2 can be very rewarding if you simply stand in Lions Arch for a few hours. All these achievements, stories, gear, etc…they’re all just nonsense. The REAL game is how long you can stand in one spot and do nothing.

Sarcasm, huh?

No, they should totally make all gear, stories, achievements, etc. accessible for everyone. Especially the achievements, make them easy so everyone can complete them. Why should you need to achieve anything (‘difficult’) to get achievement points, why the very thought of it is maddening.

And yes, the only 2 options are: completing all achievements or just standing in LA. kitten-de-kitten .

Edit; I can’t believe you guys are censoring h€rp and d€rp.

(edited by Andy.1943)

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

/thread.

Sarcasm, huh?

No, they should totally make all gear, stories, achievements, etc. accessible for everyone. Especially the achievements, make them easy so everyone can complete them. Why should you need to achieve anything (‘difficult’) to get achievement points, why the very thought of it is maddening.

And yes, the only 2 options are: completing all achievements or just standing in LA. kitten-de-kitten .

Right, but your argument to someone having issues with them is, “No one is forcing you to do them?”

I’m sure there is more constructive conversation than this, no?

GuzziHero.2467

After much rage (and 62 attempts at Spekks Lab!) I got all the kites at last.

A question though, can someone play another’s game via Remote Desktop? I am guessing however that the game would run very very badly.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

not going to lie all these people looking for free hand outs really ruffles my feathers

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Andy.1943

/thread.

Sarcasm, huh?

Right, but your argument to someone having issues with them is, “No one is forcing you to do them?”

No, there isn’t a more constructive conversation than this.

Anet added optional content A, person X doesn’t like optional content A.

Solution; Seeing how person X is not forced to do optional content A maybe he should consider not doing it.

Or Anet could totally pander towards person X and remove/not add achievements at the end of optional content A. Because that would be a reasonable solution. Right?

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

After much rage (and 62 attempts at Spekks Lab!) I got all the kites at last.

A question though, can someone play another’s game via Remote Desktop? I am guessing however that the game would run very very badly.

As you said, the game would run very badly if it was doable at all. It would first add heavy control lag to the server lag which would make any precise movements very hard to do, but also the remote computer display would need to update about every frame which would tax the bandwith of both computers, as remote desktop is usually designed for mostly still displays with smaller areas of movement (mouse).

And I say if it was doable at all in the first place, GPU cards work by using overlays, which means that basically the OS draws a black space where the 3D accelerated images are going to appear, and then sends the pertinent graphical information to the GPU, which then draws the 3D content on top of that black space before sending it to the monitor. Since remote desktop works on the OS level, on the remote computer you’d only see a black area where the game should be (actually I tried it with RealVNC on my home network) unless you disabled all 3D acceleration on the GPU level, which would make the game run very badly, if at all.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m severally disabled and thus cannot work, therefore I do not get paid for a job done. If you can’t do the job (JP), then you don’t get paid (Achievement). And don’t throw out the Achievement Reward system as an argument. There are two types of hindered people: those that learn to adapt and accept their situation (in this case knowing it’ll take longer to get the Achievement Rewards), and those that whine about “fairness” and “equality”.

I salute your attitude, Sir!

No doubt, but the OP wasn’t asking for help, assistance or even suggestions on how to complete them…..he was asking for them not to exist in the game…..just because he can’t do them (or at least thinks he can’t).

I also don’t agree with the OPs statement that the game is not a platform game…..I’m pretty sure platform based movement was part of the game since they announced jumping would be involved. I’ll admit I wasn’t crazy about the notion and I’m often frustrated due to my lack of twitch skill and coordination, but I do find it rather satisfying when I finally DO complete a JP or reach a difficult VISTA. It IS part of the game….period.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Apotheosis.3786

Apotheosis.3786

/thread.

I’m starting to agree. These “updates” seem very rubbish to me. I’m all for distraction and diversions in MMOs, but they can’t be the core of the game. That is really off.

GuzziHero.2467

In hindsight, my opening post was a bit melodramatic and over the top. It is frustrating though, having to do things like Spekk’s lab because my…

lack of twitch skill and coordination

makes these time-sensitive puzzles extremely difficult.

Ah well, drama over.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

No one said you have to do these JPs or living story content. The rest of the PvE world is out there. This game is way too easy and Living Story gives players a challenge.

If you don’t like to have a challenge, don’t do JPs or any Living Story events. I can’t believe players just want to stand around hitting mobs all the time.

Posted by: phtotrope.3761

phtotrope.3761

This game is whatever the developers want it to be. You could also say this game isn’t a racing game, but you’ve got Sanctum Sprint.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

theres nothing wrong with some variety in gameplay

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I’m sorry for your minor disability, but what about all the people that do not have any disability at all? And what about all the players that love jumping puzzles?
At the risk of sounding rude or cruel, I must say that they unfortunately can’t make a game for a really small portion of the player base that has some kind of disability. I’m sorry.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

The problem is that this time they’re putting something potentially useful as the reward for all these achievements (a permanent quartz node at your home), tempting us to do these. Compare that to the reward for the Aetherblade achievements (a mini of one of the end bosses), which I imagine most didn’t care about.

Were it not for that, I wouldn’t even look at these achievements more than once.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

/thread.

You really shouldn’t post stuff like that. It’s unhelpful, and just makes people put you on ignore.

Posted by: Dinail.4198

Dinail.4198

How is it, that in a game with action combat system, in which u have to constantly dodge, move around and “spam” abilities – and nobody has a problem with that – there is so much discussion about some JPs where u have all the time in the world to aim one single press to the space bar…

I’m sorry for those few who are really disabled and arent able to do this, but how can u play the other parts of the game and why dont i read so many complaints in the Dungeons section of this forum. The Combat gameplay must be exhausting for those few who cant even master Jumping…

It’s been said already, maybe Anets Philosophy about variety in Gameplay isnt for everyone, but why cant it be for some of us? I Dont like PvP either, but i dont complain in their section, that PvP should be removed because i suck at it…

Posted by: purple llama.8057

purple llama.8057

On remote desktop: The game will run, but it takes about 10 minutes to get it to bring up the close menu and close out. Which is all you’ll want to do once you realize how bad it lags up your connection. You might be able to do daily laurel vendor, if you’d left a character standing in front of the laurel vendor. It’s bad.

Who says GW2 isn’t a platformer game? It has movement, it has jumping, why not have some platforming? Anet has done a good job of keeping the core game accessible, I see no issues with having extra content push the engine and players to interesting, unique & sometimes challenging activities. Jumping puzzles are pretty much my favourite part of the game now.

As for the achievements and mobility issues, yeah, it’s less than awesome that some people cannot complete some activities, be it due to disability or lag or simply being bad at the game. I myself have trouble moving around and using skills at the same time, so I’d resigned myself to never getting the race winning achievements and meandered around getting all the crystals I could. While doing that I ended up trying out the skills and actually managed to play through, and since it started to be fun I kept trying and eventually got first! (I still get my fingers messed up often and walk right off of things, though.)

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

“This is not a platformer game” No, it isn’t….but didn’t you actually watch any of the pre-release videos? There was a TON of people in beta doing JP’s, it’s never been a hidden fact that there is a lot of jumping in this game, it was very much highlighted from the get-go.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Here’s someone who’s not thinking with portals

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

What do you have against platformer games. Some of them are really good games.

GW2 can have elements of PC MMO’s and some platform inspired parts to the game (JP and SAB). Real games can play both platform and non-platform.

Posted by: BlueSoda.6297

BlueSoda.6297

It really sucks that you are having problems because of a disability. You should contact customer support and see if there is some kind of handicap policy they can help you learn about.

I hope it all works out for you.

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Actually, yeah. It kinda IS a platformer. it’s part of what makes it good.

ppl complaining about how GW2 is a WoW clone, then other ppl complain it’s to platformer-y. nice.

SynfulChaot.3169

ppl complaining about how GW2 is a WoW clone, then other ppl complain it’s to platformer-y. nice.

It’s too everything. Didn’t you know? :P

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Haven’t you heard, though? Celestial is the bees knees. It’s the most OP thing since fried water, and everyone must have Celestial.

Oh, except for that one part, why not make it something else. Yeah, that’s exactly what it needs.

SynfulChaot.3169

Haven’t you heard, though? Celestial is the bees knees. It’s the most OP thing since fried water, and everyone must have Celestial.

Oh, except for that one part, why not make it something else. Yeah, that’s exactly what it needs.

heh ^.^