Pale Tree Conspiracy! (spoilers)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

From last part of the ‘study in scarlet’ there was a definate subtle theme that sylvari are connected to mordremoth. The general synopsis of the instance outline something to be drilled out of LA, ie a dragon, this will be Mordremoth, (i rule out other dragons due to being already awake or wrong geography).

With various comments and subplots occuring i summise that the pale tree was meant to be doing what scarlet is, but ‘rebelled’ against design due in part to premature seeding by Ventari and grew on the tablets as founding ethic and morals. when Mordremoth did awake his preplanned minions were already subverted by pale tree dream. The nightmare court in their own twist are subverted by nightmare dream, but still a dream non the less.

Scarlet in the cube of Omadd, free from the dream was able to be influenced by Mordremoth, her vulnerability and genius made here a very decent substitute to be the catalyst to awaken Mordremoth.

Now i say Awaken but i believe that mordremoth is a prisoner from the actions of a prior race or society, and this prison is fuelled by leylines, scarlets various tools are to locate and crack open the prison.

A couple of other points. I think the secret that Caithe has is related to the other seeds from which the pale tree come from. Rather than the pale tree risking a younger tree sibling becoming a minion in their true form, they were destroyed or kept from being planted/seeding. Its a long shot but its thinking what possible secret Caithe can have that is actually of interest to Scarlet.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

You should visit the Lore forums. This has been discussed for the better part of a year with a lot of new and refined theories over the last month or two. Looks like you either have come up with much the same ideas (very possible) or simply paraphrased the ones there in this forum. If the former you would be very interested in the lore discussions on this topic.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

Ta!, i avoided the lore section as it usually stuffed with gw1 references, and having not played it, meant little.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: TheNinjaCupcake.3465

TheNinjaCupcake.3465

A player named Crespus and I actually came up with a similar thing before the patch. In summary, our idea was that the Pale Tree is connected to Mordremoth, possibly a freed champion, like Glint, and that the Nightmare Court are the “natural” state of the sylvari, the Dream being a shield provided by the Pale Tree. No telling how right or wrong we (or anyone is), but there are a lot more clues in this patch.

What we know:
Ceara hopped around for a while after rejecting the Dream and Nightmare, seeking freedom. She eventually settled in with the Inquest, particularly Omadd.
Ceara saw something in Omadd’s machine that literally broke her mind. She emerged as Scarlet Briar and began amassing an army with various skills and talents.
She stole the watchwork knights, possibly to power her Marionette. She lured the Flame Legion and Dredge together for their machinery and magic, presumably for her drill. She allied Nightmare Court and Krait for that toxin that she has now mutated beyond Marjory’s antitoxin, but we don’t know its purpose yet. She allied the Aetherblades for their sheer power, particularly over the skies.

What we can speculate:
Based on Scarlet’s Lair, we can see a variety of things. One, the drill. Two, the scarlet briar choking out what is most likely the Pale Tree. Three, a painting of a dragon that looks eerily similar to early concept art of Mordremoth, or is at least too “leafy” to look like Primordus or Kralkatorrik. Four, a list of alliances, failed and successful, with one alliance that we have yet to see. To me, it looked like a humanoid creature (the Forgotten, mayhaps?) and the Inquest.

In the flashback for this update, we can see the process Scarlet has followed. The alliances all lead up to a big attack, which Marjory and Kasmeer believe to be on Lion’s Arch, but why? Why do this again? What purpose would it serve her? We’re not taking into account Scarlet’s one hatred through all of this: the Pale Tree. Not to mention we don’t know what she has on Caithe. Marjory supposes that Caithe has an interest in the Nightmare Court, but why?

Personally, I think Scarlet is targeting the Pale Tree—or, perhaps something beneath it. Something big. Something dragon-like. I think the sylvari are tied in some way to Mordremoth, and I think he is the next dragon that we see in-game.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

The humanoid/Inquest alliance has been suspected to be the Aetherblades…

I mean, they work with the Inquest.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Thread belongs in the lore forum, possibly necro the original thread and merge.

Ceara saw something in Omadd’s machine that literally broke her mind.

Marjory’s conjecture is that she gained access to a part of her mind that was previously sealed off – i.e. “she saw herself”. This “sealing off part of the mind” is now thought (on the lore subforum) to be the action of PT within the theory: PT was supposed to be an ED champion (keep in mind that this theory has been discussed for a VERY long time, not simply before the current patch – it was less refined but has always been suspected).

I think he is the next dragon that we see in-game.

EDs are full-expansion-level content (ANet have REPEATEDLY stated that there will be no EDs until, at minimum, the next expansion): I would expect a lot of media/fanfare/etc. if they were going to drop the first expansion. I definitely agree that the story could be tied to dragons, but I seriously doubt we will be seeing one.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Thread belongs in the lore forum, possibly necro the original thread and merge.

Ceara saw something in Omadd’s machine that literally broke her mind.

Marjory’s conjecture is that she gained access to a part of her mind that was previously sealed off – i.e. “she saw herself”. This “sealing off part of the mind” is now thought (on the lore subforum) to be the action of PT within the theory: PT was supposed to be an ED champion (keep in mind that this theory has been discussed for a VERY long time, not simply before the current patch – it was less refined but has always been suspected).

I think he is the next dragon that we see in-game.

EDs are full-expansion-level content (ANet have REPEATEDLY stated that there will be no EDs until, at minimum, the next expansion): I would expect a lot of media/fanfare/etc. if they were going to drop the first expansion. I definitely agree that the story could be tied to dragons, but I seriously doubt we will be seeing one.

And yet in the same breath they almost always talk and talk and talk about how the LS is the perfect medium to deliver expansion content and how what we normally think of as expansion content could “easily” be put into a LS update. Of course in over 18 months we have yet to see this actually happen, but they keep claiming it regardless.

The end of LS season 1 would be the perfect opportunity to finally live up to the massive amounts of hype they have been giving the living world content for the past year.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

Don’t forget the primary reason people think that it is LA (in my mind) being targeted is because of the video clip which showed the asuran gate in some kind of post-destruction shot. The asuran gate that looked incredibly similar to the one in LA.

That and the green light. I hope theres a nice big twist, but it seems like LA is the target.

What I wonder about most is what is the poison for? Is Scarlet trying to poison mordremoth, cos he is in her head? Or is she actually working for him unintentionally and maybe the poison could act as some sort of pale tree killer, thus freeing the sylvari minds to Mordremoth (potentialkly) and suddenly he has minions. Perhaps the pale tree is the one keeping mordremoth asleep, who knows?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

What if the Dream is actually Mordremoth’s dream, and its continuing existence is what keeps it from awakening? In this way, the Pale Tree could be the one thing that is keeping the Elder Dragon from awakening.
(The Nightmare Court is not trying to end the dream, but to corrupt it into its opposite.)

Also, Marjory’s powerful antitoxin (which Scarlet purloined) worked against the evil toxic plant inside the Tower of Nightmares. Therefore, it was specifically proven to be poisonous to gigantic mystic plants. So it is indeed a possibility that Scarlet may intend to use it against the Pale Tree.

A final question to ask is what the plant inside the Tower of Nightmares actually was. It was grown by sylvari, it grew the Toxic Hybrid from one of its pods, and it was immensely big. My theory is that it was grown from a similar seed that sprouted the Pale Tree itself, and that either Scarlet or the Nightmare courtiers had somehow acquired it.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

We are going to end up stopping scarlet from kill morddy probably

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

What if the Dream is actually Mordremoth’s dream, and its continuing existence is what keeps it from awakening? In this way, the Pale Tree could be the one thing that is keeping the Elder Dragon from awakening.
(The Nightmare Court is not trying to end the dream, but to corrupt it into its opposite.)

This kind of runs with my current thoughts on the Pale Tree and the Sylvari as well. What if the Pale Tree was planted on a strong Ley Line of magic. One where a Dragon might sleep to get some good old Dragon Magic. Because of this, it grew to what it is, but because of Ventari’s teachings there is the good part of the dream. The bad part is Mordremoth, and that’s what the Nightmare is. The Nightmare Court isn’t trying to end the dream, but follow it’s true course and thus it’s true master, Mordremoth.

Also, Marjory’s powerful antitoxin (which Scarlet purloined) worked against the evil toxic plant inside the Tower of Nightmares. Therefore, it was specifically proven to be poisonous to gigantic mystic plants. So it is indeed a possibility that Scarlet may intend to use it against the Pale Tree.

This sounds spot on. IF not for the Pale Tree, than whatever may be hiding under Lions Arch.

A final question to ask is what the plant inside the Tower of Nightmares actually was. It was grown by sylvari, it grew the Toxic Hybrid from one of its pods, and it was immensely big. My theory is that it was grown from a similar seed that sprouted the Pale Tree itself, and that either Scarlet or the Nightmare courtiers had somehow acquired it.

Perhaps the cave where the Pale Tree seeds were found? Where is that cave, and what else could be growing there?

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA