Taimi's Predicament [Spoilers]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

More accurately, her condition. As we learned today, Taimi doesn’t ride on top of Scruffy the Golem for fun (well, not just for that). She has a degenerative disease that leaves her with very weak legs, and unable to walk far. Scruffy is her wheelchair, in a sense.

And as she gets older, the degeneration will probably spread.

I totally never saw this twist to her character coming. Way to hit me in my feels, Anet. :’(

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

stephen hawking v2.0 anyone?

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Maybe she’s secretly hoping that Scarlet in all her (insane) genius will be able to help her find a cure to her disease.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Arcturus.8109

Arcturus.8109

Destiny Edge 2.0 (and all LS-related team) starts to remind me annoyingly politically correct action movies. I have nothing against all that groups in particular but it is just statistically improbable that we will have it all at once. Just stahp, I want realistic characters.

Thats why I also hope that Taimi die horribly. Cartoony baby-genius is even worse than Scarlet for me.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Taimi’s condition is reminiscent of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, aka: Lou Gehrig’s Disease) however, the fact that she can still walk—albeit not very far, means her symptoms aren’t necessarily ALS.

For all we know, it could be a condition that the devs came up for her character and haven’t named yet.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Reminds me of Forrest Gump. Does this make me a bad person?

“Run Taimi, run!”

So let’s see:

1. We have Rox, a gladium – which means unemployed.
2. Braham, who grew up only with his father – which means single parent family.
3. Kasmeer and Marjory being more than just close – gay relationship.
4. Taimi can’t really walk – disabled.
5. Canach is in prison – the criminal.

If we put any more social RL conflict into Destiny’s Edge 2.0, we have a TV soap…

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I don’t mind it because now it gives her a two fold reason to like Scarlet’s work.
Not only academic freedom, but also the freedom to do anything with the research.
To study what she wants and use what she wants to fix her legs if she so desires.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

What I like is that some of these characters have flaws that make them more believable than just “big norn hero!” A young, physically crippled asura that wants no pity and takes her flaw and makes it her strength (brains, Scruffy), a charr without a warband gives him the strength to prove himself, and 2 unlikely allies become something more amidst a war. These are the stories we love in real life; seeing tragedy turned to triumph. We get that in GW2 if we look deeper. It’s actually a more “human” story than the original Destiny’s Edge.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Perhaps it’s a set up for the next LS arc? Taimi will become the villain.

In her quest to be like Scarlet, she’ll find a way to stop her, only to harness her evil intentions so that she may be strong and “walk”. She’ll be half asura/half watchwork and her army of Toxic Molten Aetherblades , lead by Colonel Scruffy, will rain fire and brimstone across Tyria!! AAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Long live QUEEN TAIMI!

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

“Run Taimi, run!”

So let’s see:

If we put any more social RL conflict into Destiny’s Edge 2.0, we have a TV soap…

you forgot.

5. Canach – The bad boy character.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

in The Edge of the Mists

Atlas.9704

Perhaps it’s a set up for the next LS arc? Taimi will become the villain.

In her quest to be like Scarlet, she’ll find a way to stop her, only to harness her evil intentions so that she may be strong and “walk”. She’ll be half asura/half watchwork and her army of Toxic Molten Aetherblades , lead by Colonel Scruffy, will rain fire and brimstone across Tyria!! AAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Long live QUEEN TAIMI!

By the Six I hope not!
Though if we want to go cheesy I think Taimi should do a Luke Skywalker moment.
Scarlet offers her power and abilities beyond normal society.
She has the technology, she can make her faster, better, stronger, with more Daft Punk auto tune, you get the picture.

Then Taimi refuses, “I am an Asura like my mentor before me.”
She and Zojja then Sparta kick Scarlet down some lava pit.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in The Edge of the Mists

Kaiyanwan.8521

“Run Taimi, run!”

So let’s see:

you forgot.

Ah thx, added Canach, the criminal. ^^

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

“Run Taimi, run!”

So let’s see:

you forgot.

Totally forgot about Canach, he’s gotten so little play since South Sun. Destiny’s Edge needs a Sylvari to be properly set up, so I could see him getting a chance to make up for his “misdeeds” to help save the world. Especially when Scarlet attacks Lion’s Arc, where he’s being held.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Totally forgot about Canach, he’s gotten so little play since South Sun. Destiny’s Edge needs a Sylvari to be properly set up, so I could see him getting a chance to make up for his “misdeeds” to help save the world. Especially when Scarlet attacks Lion’s Arc, where he’s being held.

If you check out his dialogue in LA, you’ll agree that they’re already setting him up for some kind of redemption as an anti-hero of sorts. Incidentally, he’s probably the only Living World NPC I have some interest in.

in The Edge of the Mists

Seras.5702

…..

lol or better yet…

Then Taimi refuses, “I am an Asura like my mentor father before me. You remember him…don’t you???”
Scarlet’s confused look…then wide eyes…Taimi’s resemblance to Omadd becomes apparent, just as Scruffy’s fist smashes down upon Scarlet. Squish, salad, pulp, just add Ranch.

-THE END-

in The Edge of the Mists

Kaiyanwan.8521

…..

lol or better yet…

Then Taimi refuses, “I am an Asura like my mentor father before me. You remember him…don’t you???”
Scarlet’s confused look…then wide eyes…Taimi’s resemblance to Omadd becomes apparent, just as Scruffy’s fist smashes down upon Scarlet. Squish, salad, pulp, just add Ranch.

-THE END-

Nah, we had this Asuran father and son relation drama already in GW1, Anet would not recycle that for GW2 with a father – daughter thing would they…?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ViralVarda.2739

ViralVarda.2739

Nah, we had this Asuran father and son relation drama already in GW1, Anet would not recycle that for GW2 with a father – daughter thing would they…?

Oh, heavens, no. ANet would never recycle ANYTHING from their previous game to use for this game. EVER. Perish the thought.

in The Edge of the Mists

Seras.5702

Oh, heavens, no. ANet would never recycle ANYTHING from their previous game to use for this game. EVER. Perish the thought.

Agreed…Anet doesn’t recycle stuff. Hey check out my Flameseeker Armor!!!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

why do i find that taimi is a more believable character than marjory

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Mortifact.3102

Mortifact.3102

I couldn’t help but think about Joker from Mass Effect. I literally asked my guild if Taimi had Vollerk’s (idk how it was spelled in ME) Syndrome. They even both make a joke about being asked to dance!

in The Edge of the Mists

Atlas.9704

But was that in GW1?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Destiny Edge 2.0 (and all LS-related team) starts to remind me annoyingly politically correct action movies. I have nothing against all that groups in particular but it is just statistically improbable that we will have it all at once. Just stahp, I want realistic characters.

Thats why I also hope that Taimi die horribly. Cartoony baby-genius is even worse than Scarlet for me.

Having a disease is realistic… .

Also, it’s not like the fact that Taimi is a cripple isn’t there to show that doesn’t stop her to do what she wants, and not succumb to disabilities.

Nope, they added a cripple because they want a rainbow of political correctness. Guess they’re racist too, since Braham isn’t black.

/ sarcasm off

Now, who votes for Bro-ham being her new personal golem carrier?

in The Edge of the Mists

Atlas.9704

“Who wants Doylak rides?”
“Giddyup!”

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: zoidberg.7801

zoidberg.7801

I like the move by the devs. It makes her a more interesting character, and is a nice representation of a hero with a disability who isn’t bothered by it.

Kaineng 4 lyfe yo
Samuel Stormwalker

in The Edge of the Mists

Delvoire.8930

Also, it’s not like the fact that Taimi is a cripple isn’t there to show that doesn’t stop her to do what she wants, and not succumb to disabilities.

Nope, they added a cripple because they want a rainbow of political correctness. Guess they’re racist too, since Braham isn’t black.

/ sarcasm off

nope. They have Braham and Rox for that inter-racial couple.

It looks to be right with the political correctness of current hot topics in the world.

Racial Issues – Rox/Braham inter-racial couple
Sexual Issues – Marjory/Kasmeer lesbian couple
Disabilities – Taimi with hers

And what better way than to tie up Political Correctness than with……..

bah dun dun

Wait for it…..

A politician!!! I’m looking at you Ellen Kiel!

I guess all that’s missing is a transgendered person and we’ll have everything tied up neatly in a bow

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I guess all that’s missing is a transgendered person and we’ll have everything tied up neatly in a bow

You mean a sylvari?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

rofl Rox unemployed.

That’s a pretty new and unique way of putting it.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Ellen Kiel is the Abraham Lincoln of GW2, she freed people from slavery and ended the slave trade.

The Pact is a Civil Rights movement that ended the segregation of the Orders.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Actually, Rox and Taimi share an element in their backstories.

Rox has lost her original warband, which consisted of the charr she grew up with since she was a cub at the fahrar. A charr’s first warband is as close to a family as they get, as a charr’s biological parents are acquaintances, or distant mentors at best. Rox lost her family in the mining accident.

Taimi is an orphan.

in The Edge of the Mists

CharrGirl.7896

/ sarcasm off

It looks to be right with the political correctness of current hot topics in the world.

bah dun dun

Wait for it…..

People whine if there is no diversity.

People whine if diversity is delivered.

Not targeted on you, but in general.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

/ sarcasm off

bah dun dun

Wait for it…..

Ah, Canach again! It’s all coming together now.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in The Edge of the Mists

Delvoire.8930

You mean a sylvari?

Whelp.. I guess they have every base covered then

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I had the most scary vision of Taimi using a killed Braham as his new aid golem…with a kittenpit and all. Nasty

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

So basically she’s Joker from ME.

Coolie potatoes

Why doesn’t she use the experimental technique developed by your Dynamics crew to fuse herself with her golem permanently (though hopefully iron out the kinks a bit)?

Or fuse herself with a sexy sexy watchwork golem, hubba hubba

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

One would think it all took place in a world where Healing Magic doesn’t exist…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Gwethelyn.6182

Gwethelyn.6182

In the same way that IRL medecine has not yet found a cure for everything, healing magic in Tyria might still be ineffective against certain types of illnesses and wounds.

in The Edge of the Mists

CharrGirl.7896

On a slightly unrelated note, have a really nice Taimi artwork:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/f8c8a1e2baa64fb0e258bd83a2bd4be4/tumblr_n06ij4mv2a1riks6to1_1280.jpg

Can’t find the source unfortunately.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

You didn’t really want an MMO where you go and slay the dragon? Did you?

Oh, wait…

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Drage.9816

Drage.9816

Someone give this man a medal !

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Someone give this man a medal !

or a refund xD… :S

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Just with any procedure…We will just add a little healing magic to fix that stab wound O no I accidently caused you blood vessels to coagulate X.X well time of death.

Some treatments can be to good

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I get the feeling that Tyria’s magic doesn’t work like that.
Cuts, bumps, and Bruises … No problem
Bring you back from the dead … sure
But if a person is born with something (illness. deformity, etc.), that is essentially who they are. Sure, you can cover it up (illusions), or change it superficially cough – Black lion makeover kit – cough, however at a core level – the way you was made, is the way that you stay.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Bel Geode.8129

Bel Geode.8129

LOL!

cough most of the music that plays while we walk around cough

But honestly I would not mind if her motivation ultimately became revenge. It’s an old tale to be sure, but it’s ok for me.

But then I am a scorpio… we live revenge.

Find Bel Geode- THE Purple Norn on twitch tv.
“Doing The Dailies " Weeknights at 8PM EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/belgeode

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

Taimi is after Scarlet’s tech, she wants the her knowlege about fusing living organisms with magitech devices. Why? Because the the kid wants run with the other kids.

Time for Brahm to do something really heroic…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

So bittersquee, will she be visited by the Tyrian Make-A-Wish foundation?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

LOL!

cough most of the music that plays while we walk around cough

But honestly I would not mind if her motivation ultimately became revenge. It’s an old tale to be sure, but it’s ok for me.

But then I am a scorpio… we live revenge.

That’s the only “recycling” I don’t mind, I always feel a bit nostalgic hearing the old soundtrack (making me think I should just go back to GW1 every time I hear it, but I never do).

Also, I like that these characters have diversity. It’s not like everyone is straight, born without illnesses or deformities, has an intact family and as a nice bonus has flawless looks.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Time for Brahm to do something really heroic…

Time for Braham to make a Kuh-ham-wich for Taimi!

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

Snaff himself never fought as a spellcaster or engineer himself. He was always inside a battle-golem. Methinks that this is an interesting turn of events, and significantly contributes to Taimi as a character.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

Well, Ellen Kiel would make for a marvellous transgender. ^^

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | RĂ©mi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Snaff himself never fought as a spellcaster or engineer himself. He was always inside a battle-golem. Methinks that this is an interesting turn of events, and significantly contributes to Taimi as a character.

What if she’s Snaff’s daughter?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald