Tengu?

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

So… All signs point to a massive attack on Lion’s Arch.

The Tengu are located right next to “the Arch” (as Jory calls it).

And yet, they haven’t so much as squawked throughout the entire Living Story season 1.

Shouldn’t they, presumably, be ready to get involved to save Tyria?

If Lion’s Arch falls, what’s going to protect them?

Scarlet has a huge freaking airship. The “Great Wall of Tengu” isn’t going to save them.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

Tengu will appear… help defeat Scarlet… and they’ll be the next race I Smell the exp comming….

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Lion’s Arch is in desperate need of air defences to fight off Scarlet.

A bird-race living right next to LA who will probably suffer major fallout if the city is attacked?

Hmmm…

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please…..

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: dreadicon.5840

dreadicon.5840

I seriously wish this too…..

But I forecast a 1% chance of Tengu playable race in the next 3 moths. Not enough lead up, and not enough story behind them yet.

However, within 16 months? I’d say 80% chance of Tengu. We know this LS will set up the next LS, and I predict the Tengu are going to be a central point of the next LS.

I could be wrong, but here’s giving what little faith I have left in Anet to them; I am optimistic that we will see them by the end of the next LS.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Firearm.6904

Firearm.6904

I’m definitely feeling good about this one. LA is just weeks away from getting nuked, and there is absolutely NO way that ArenaNet can pretend “they didn’t hear it” from behind their wall. I mean have you seen the size of the Marionette? That booty’s definitely gonna cause shockwaves.

As was mentioned, I wouldn’t expect them to become instantly playable, but having them open their gates for the refugees of Lion’s Arch is the perfect way of finally bringing them into the story.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

A bird-race living right next to LA who will probably suffer major fallout if the city is attacked?

Hmmm…

As adorably convenient as that sounds, Tengu are flightless birds so no more efficient at aerial defence as any other land dweller.

As for the dominion opening up, it might. I would personally love to have a Tengu character, but I’m not hoping for that any time soon.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I don’t really see how this is a guarantee of anything. Similar to the Tower of Nightmares I figure a few tengu guards will pitch in if they’re in the area, but Scarlet has basically ignored them (zero probes in Dominion of Winds even), and I’m not sure that’s going to change unless she actually does start taking over the world.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

(zero probes in Dominion of Winds even)

…how do you know that?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Galowin.6089

Galowin.6089

…how do you know that?

The map in scarlets lair perhapse….

For Glade and Glory

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: fist whiskeyjack.4318

fist whiskeyjack.4318

If LA gets nuked, they Open up their city for the refugees, or help to rebuild the City. If this works lorewise… I have no idea to be honest
And Sry for the Bad english

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

Tengu will get cosmetically ignored just like charr, and to a lesser extent sylvari/asura.

Tengu will end up with heaps of clipping armours/hairs/accessories/etc, and they’ll never get fixed up.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Tengu will get cosmetically ignored just like charr, and to a lesser extent sylvari/asura.

Tengu will end up with heaps of clipping armours/hairs/accessories/etc, and they’ll never get fixed up.

Just how bitter is your life, for this to be the only thing you have to add to this thread?

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

Just how bitter is your life, for this to be the only thing you have to add to this thread?

Can’t even state the truth without someone getting their knickers in a twist.

“How (Insert adjective) is your life, that you the only thing you add to the thread is to attack someone elses post of truth?”

Ya, I’m cool like you.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Inugami.1328

Inugami.1328

^this

Tengu would be awesome =) Im still savin my thief spot for a tengu ^^
I doubt that the “big content patch” would be that big content though.
Sry to be a pessimist. =P

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Well, Scarlet did have this blueprint of a big drill… Big enough to drill through a big wall maybe…

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Hmmm…

But can the Tengu actually fly though? I don’t think we have any kind of proof that they can (and iirc they don’t have any kind of wings).
I think they are more like penguins, birds (like creatures) that can’t fly.

…how do you know that?

Has anyone checked it to see if this happens to actually be true? Anyone try talking to any of the Tengu at the wall (either in LA or Caledon Forest)?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kuro Zetsumei.1397

Kuro Zetsumei.1397

what’s with people in their obsession of these overgrown birds? they are so dull.

I’d rather see playable Skritt or Largoss.

(before the nerd rage, just asking.)

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cortossis.5304

Cortossis.5304

So… All signs point to a massive attack on Lion’s Arch.

The Tengu are located right next to “the Arch” (as Jory calls it).

And yet, they haven’t so much as squawked throughout the entire Living Story season 1.

Shouldn’t they, presumably, be ready to get involved to save Tyria?

If Lion’s Arch falls, what’s going to protect them?

Scarlet has a huge freaking airship. The “Great Wall of Tengu” isn’t going to save them.

Even though i’d love to see the Tengu get involved in the LS and eventually become a playable race , i don’t think it is going to happen soon.You remember what happened in Kessex Hills , right? That huge tower was right next to their walls and they did nothing. The spores as well could have been carried away , within the city walls but there was no mention of it happening , at least nothing confirmed . If you think about it , the spores managed to travel all the way to Gendarran Fields which is farther away than the Dominion walls are . So , we can safely assume that they did affect the Tengu at a specific degree.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

They mentioned in one of the interviews 2013 that they think about three races: Tengu, Kodan and Hekets. Kodan are avaible now in Edge of the Mist as a transformation so we can delete it. Tengu playable this year, who knows maby Hekets.

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

(edited by Witaminka.4650)

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

They mentioned in one of the interviews 2013 that they think about three races: Tengu, Kodan and Hekets. Kodan are avaible now in Edge of the Mist as a transformation so we can delete it. Tengu playable this year, who knows maby Hekets.

What the heck is a Heket? Never heard of them. Must be a GW1 thing.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I think he meant Hylek.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Witaminka.4650

I think he meant Hylek.

nope he said Heket.

Hekets got differences between female/male, Hyleks look all the same but Hylek is the name of Heket in Guild Wars 2 now. Old version looks better, evolution or what?

server jumper

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Hylek…
Heket…
Same thing… They’re all frogs…

To quote the Wikis…
‘Hylek is the name of Heket in Guild Wars 2.’
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Heket

‘The hylek are wide-mouthed frogmen with lashing tongues and are descendants from the heket species of Elona.’
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hylek

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Moshari.8570

Moshari.8570

I mean have you seen the size of the Marionette? That booty’s definitely gonna cause shockwaves.

Badonkasaurus?

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Witaminka.4650

Chickens or frogs? My bet Hyleks/Hekets as playable race, i like chickens too, but… but… but… are they tasty enough? ^^

server jumper

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

I don’t think anyone want’s to play a fat frog that can barely walk

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I don’t think anyone want’s to play a fat frog that can barely walk

and you would be mistaken. while not nearly as popular as tengu or largos, hylek do have a following, and even I think they’d be fun to play as.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t see how Hylek would work as a player race considering their body shape. Most armors wouldn’t fit them at all without heavy model modification, and based on the bare-bones armor adapting Charr get I don’t think its likely they’d want a race that would require even more tweaks.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Witaminka.4650

from my other post, you can get Hylek potion here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Organizer_Aerixx
2 attacks and laughable movement

server jumper

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

But I forecast a 1% chance of Tengu playable race in the next 3 moths. Not enough lead up, and not enough story behind them yet.

There’s a pretty good sized story behind them. It’s called Guild Wars 1.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I don’t see how Hylek would work as a player race considering their body shape. Most armors wouldn’t fit them at all without heavy model modification, and based on the bare-bones armor adapting Charr get I don’t think its likely they’d want a race that would require even more tweaks.

That is the biggest issue, yeah. The armor they have already looks awesome, but could you imagine any of the honor of the waves armors on one of the hylek? That is a difficult stretch of the imagination.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Minos.5168

The Tengu were supposedly one of the planned races.

I’m curious as to how much effort would need to be made to actually make it happen.

Look at how content much they added in November 2012. It was probably just polishing up some mini-dungeons and a zone that they had already lying around.

Keep in mind, GW2 was under development for a long time… Things were cut (like the Tengu). That doesn’t mean there wasn’t any work done on them.

To be entirely honest with regard to the armor thing:
I fully expect Tengu to be compatible with Charr armor. Their talons will probably function similarly to Charr feet.
Their standard body-type is just slimmer than Charr in general.

As for Hylek, I’d expect Quaggans first… So until we get a “Mists of Quaggaria” expansion, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Zaxares.5419

But can the Tengu actually fly though? I don’t think we have any kind of proof that they can (and iirc they don’t have any kind of wings).

Tengu are flightless birds, yes. But they do have an affinity for ranged weapons and are said to be expert bowmen as a general rule. (Thus, air defences.)

But more than that, the Tengu have basically stayed out of all major conflicts since the start of GW2. That suggests they have plenty of manpower and resources to lend to the defense of LA should they decide to break their isolation. (And since they DO still trade with outside races, it’s not like their economy would be in total shambles either.)

As to the Hylek as a playable race, they have their supporters, but I think the one race that nobody seems to want to play are the Dredge.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

GW2 always had the five races planned for release, ever since Eye of the North in 2007. It looks as if tengu were going to be an add-on race for a Cantha expansion that has yet to materialize for a variety of reasons.

Hard to guess at what the future holds, but I’m sure ArenaNet is well aware of the demand for an expansion.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Minos.5168

GW2 always had the five races planned for release, ever since Eye of the North in 2007. It looks as if tengu were going to be an add-on race for a Cantha expansion that has yet to materialize for a variety of reasons.

Hard to guess at what the future holds, but I’m sure ArenaNet is well aware of the demand for an expansion.

I would imagine that since we only get 5 character slots with the base game…

Introducing a new race would be one way to promote the purchase of more slots.

They don’t have to be “expansion only”.

Heck, they could probably even make “exclusive Tengu slots” and sell them for like 1000 to 1200 gems. (a 50% markup from the normal character slots)

Or just charge you a “Tengu access fee” of 800 gems and let you create as many Tengu as you want (provided you have open character slots, of course… which are also available for 800 gems.)

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Zaxares.5419

No, the Tengu were actually planned to be a 6th playable race at release (I believe it was actually mentioned in the GW2 artbook that came with the Collector’s Edition), but they got cut due to lack of time.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I believe Dredge and Hylek are out for possible character races, both for mechanical reasons. Dredge can’t be blinded and Hylek can’t be poisoned. Racial immunities like that are terrible for balancing an MMO.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

We’ve actually got a couple of references that indicate they can’t (apart from the fact that their arms are not going to generate appreciable lift).
First one has a reference, it was from GW1 Factions’ manuscripts: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Tengu
Second one I can’t find one for, but if you stay a while at the Hanto Trading Post you’ll overhear one of the traders replying to a nearby sylvari something like “Yes, my ancestors could fly. No, I cannot. Now trade!”

Has anyone checked it to see if this happens to actually be true? Anyone try talking to any of the Tengu at the wall (either in LA or Caledon Forest)?

I don’t believe their dialogue has changed. Galowin is correct that that’s where my claim comes from; seemingly all of Scarlet’s probes are indicated with pulses on that map, but there are none outside the playable map boundaries (including DoW). I agree that that’s not hard proof, but it is reasonably strong evidence.

No, the Tengu were actually planned to be a 6th playable race at release (I believe it was actually mentioned in the GW2 artbook that came with the Collector’s Edition), but they got cut due to lack of time.

It was mentioned in that book, yes, but the reason wasn’t clearly explained – Aaron Coberly just said they “pulled back”. I suspect that they did that with the intention of adding them in later (otherwise they could very easily have written the Dominion out of the picture), but have no way of knowing for sure what really happened. I have a feeling there might not be a link with Cantha, though, since a fairly obvious motivation for planting the Dominion there and having Usoku exile them is to break that dependence on Cantha. But, again, nothing conclusive.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

please god don’t make the next race a bird. seriously.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: bobbles.5940

bobbles.5940

Do people really think if there was a new Dragon and / or Race in the offing soon that the marketing dept wouldn’t be all up in that and pushing box sales ??

I see a lot of disappointed people in the near future ……

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I’ll quote.

Minor Races, The Making of Guild Wars 2 p. 62

Character Art Team Lead Aaron Coberly explains, “The tengu were originally considered for inclusion as a playable race, but we pulled back and settled on the five races you now see in the game.”

Considered, not planned. With the events of Winds of Change going on at the same time in GW1, it’s likely they wanted to reserve some room for a starting area should they ever be introduced in an expansion, but they were always talking about the five races for release. Had been since 2007. It’s possible they considered them as a release race before GW2 was announced, but not after.

(edited by Ben K.6238)

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

However, within 16 months? I’d say 80% chance of Tengu. We know this LS will set up the next LS, and I predict the Tengu are going to be a central point of the next LS.

I could be wrong, but here’s giving what little faith I have left in Anet to them; I am optimistic that we will see them by the end of the next LS.

Not being optimistic here, but Anet are masters of “no lead up, no build up”! Remember all this Scarlet deal? No reason, no lead up, no build up, just BAM! The awesome queen of awesomeness is ready for our love and takes no no for an answer. The only build that was included in LS till date was building up tower in Kessex… and it took sinking wood to do (yeah – great logs of wood “lying” on bottom of a lake – that was fun) and some illusion. So yeah…
That being said, I don’t believe that Tengu will become playable race in upcoming updates. That would be too obvious and at the same time too deliberate for recent Anet storytelling.

Tengu?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

Maybe, maybe not. That doesn’t change the fact he’s right