AFKing in LA

AFKing in LA

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Has there been any incidents after that 1 day that people has been kicked out of LA or any other world event for being afk?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kheldorn.5123

Kheldorn.5123

You still don’t see a point. People do it because desing flaws allows them to get rewards. If there were no rewards unless you participate in events during evacuation afkers would be gone.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

You still don’t see a point. People do it because desing flaws allows them to get rewards. If there were no rewards unless you participate in events during evacuation afkers would be gone.

Sure but its far easier to log in durring off-time and ban dozen of people than design event without such major reward system flaw.

I still think that people that did kicking were angry with players taking advantage of their own design, where they should have been angry at their co-workers that created such messy event. Its incredibly dull too.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

This has everything to do with situation ethics because afking is acceptable in one instance and not acceptable in another.

This is correct. AFKing in some situations is ok, as it doesn’t impact events (i.e. AFKing in a town hub). AFKing during an event that offers massive rewards is not ok, and can result in kicks by GMs. Multiple kicks = 72 hour suspension.

Define massive rewards? Cause I definitely don’t define 30 bags a varying types as massive

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kheldorn.5123

Kheldorn.5123

If the game was instanced I could who I want to play with and kick afkers/leechers fast. With open world its one big PUG which you can’t control.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Jamin.6528

Jamin.6528

I like how this is still a debate between AFKers and Power-Hungry-Devs. No one is accounting for the people who get banned without reason. They are between these two groups, and it is that group of people that I am sticking up for. If ANet wants to ban AFKers, then fine, but make it transparent so we know what we can and can’t do, and make it an automated system so there is no human error.

The last thing I want to do is log on and think of the endless possibilities that could get me banned. I should be able to just sit down, read some clear-cut rules, and play the game. I can’t do that when we have Devs on power trips.

Lucromia Mukroc – Necromancer
Leader of The Hardcore Caravan [HC] – Blackgate
http://thehardcorecaravan.shivtr.com/

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

If the game was instanced I could who I want to play with and kick afkers/leechers fast. With open world its one big PUG which you can’t control.

Apparently certain high profile guilds can arrange to have those people kicked/suspended.

Its all about who you know, I guess.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I guess I’ll belatedly pour my two cents into the void, since I’ve been lurkingly reading these threads in multiple subforums.

I see people upthread defending this behavior with “what if something important came up irl?” If your kid is having a melt down or you have to take half an hour to an hour to prepare dinner for your family (like I do) maybe just don’t log in (or if you’re in: log out/idle elsewhere). I know that’s a tough concept contending with the aura of entitlement that AFK rewards allows one to feel, but accept that you have real life obligations that are more important and go deal with them. At that point, the reward for an event that continues for the next week or getting removed from the instance when you’re not even at the keyboard should seriously be the least of your concerns. Free up space for someone who will actually play the event.

I play the event two or three times a night after work and skip the 6 o’clock hour to prep and eat dinner. I log out. I don’t stand there and leech off of other people’s efforts. If I have to leave halfway through an event, I am satisfied with the bags earned as a collective, the heirlooms I’ve found as I’ve rescued citizens and the bags that have dropped as I’ve defended them. That’s a lot of reward, even without the final bags.

This is absolutely different than camping for main in Teq, Marionette, or any other event. When you camp for a main instance, you go and actually contribute to the event once it starts. Here, you’re just standing around waiting to be autorewarded. Big difference.

It seems that for an event like this the AFK timer should be reduced to something like 5-10 minutes to prevent people from claiming that this is the way ANet ~meant for us to play~, when you are not “playing” the event and nothing in it says “stand around autohealing/running (AFK circumvention methods) while NPCs and players die around you!”

I’m only sad that a dev hasn’t made official comment on this event behavior. Is the event here for too little time to bother with adjusting the AFK timer in the zone and thus are leaving it in the hands of the mods to kick idlers out of the zone? Even that amount of “you take your potential kick into your own hands” clarification would probably lead to less bitterness on both sides. A mod at the beginning map-chatting, “alright, AFKers have five minutes to get moving or I start kicking out of map,” after such a clarification in the forums would be great. Punishment (I use the term loosely — the zone kick mods are using is a tap on the shoulder compared to an outright ban as some are accusing) for design flaws identified as exploits can then be enforced with more fairness because their stance on the issue is set in writing. I just don’t believe they straight up doled out bans. If you’ve enfracted multiple times, maybe that ads up.

Either way: I agree, their policy should be more transparent.

And either way: It’s still a crappy thing to do to everyone else on the map who’s hustling to hit 1200.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

AFKing in LA

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I have yet to be in the event and reach 1200. In fact, I haven’t been in the event and reach 1000 yet. I try though.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

I am quite certain that adjusting the AFK timer in a single zone is literally not a thing they can just do. More than likely that timer exists in only one place that all things reference. Therefore to change it is to rebuild how a zone works around that one thing. That’s why it was such a big deal for them when they did that very thing for PvP.

It’s just not worth it to do for a short time event.

I’m also not really clear why you would bother trying to reason with hypothetical events. Yes, people could be going AFK for these things, but they’re probably not. It’s just the fact that you can’t know. Also, if I’m getting pulled away for something I probably don’t think it’s going to take long. As such I’m not going to log out, that would be a waste. By the time I find out it’s going to take a long time it’s too late to do anything about it and I’m still not going to log out cause now I’m in the middle of it. Logging out is a lower priority than completing whatever it is.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Define massive rewards? Cause I definitely don’t define 30 bags a varying types as massive

Jetpack, Monocle, Mini Firestorm, Precursors, etc.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Jetpack, Monocle, Mini Firestorm, Precursors, etc.

So the tiny possibility of getting something worth having out of one of those bags makes the whole thing massive? Sorry, but I can’t agree with that.

AFKing in LA

Smooth Penguin.5294

I like how this is still a debate between AFKers and Power-Hungry-Devs. No one is accounting for the people who get banned without reason. They are between these two groups, and it is that group of people that I am sticking up for. If ANet wants to ban AFKers, then fine, but make it transparent so we know what we can and can’t do, and make it an automated system so there is no human error.

The last thing I want to do is log on and think of the endless possibilities that could get me banned. I should be able to just sit down, read some clear-cut rules, and play the game. I can’t do that when we have Devs on power trips.

The people who got kicked deserved so. People who got 72 hour suspensions got what they deserved as well, because they repeated the behaviors that got them kicked in the first place. We call this an open-and-shut case.

AFKing in LA

Teofa Tsavo.9863

“Everyone else on the map” isn’t concerned about 1200. It is but one of many activities offered in the map. It isn’t even an achievement.

I could care less about the “story” at this point. Nothing I do matters at all. So, I go in, I farm bags to get tomes of knowledge for an alt, and any contribution I make to rescue count is accidental. I turn map chat off so I don’t have to hear numbers rage and blamecalling.

Perhaps I need banning for not caring, for not “playing it right”?

All I see is rage over not getting 1200, and focusing that rage on a convenient target.

No different than map rage at bearbows, zerkers, and underlevels from prior events.

This community is toxic.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

The people who got kicked deserved so. People who got 72 hour suspensions got what they deserved as well, because they repeated the behaviors that got them kicked in the first place. We call this an open-and-shut case.

Why did they deserve it, and how can you know?

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Jamin.6528

Jamin.6528

They deserved it? Maybe some of them did, but certainly not all. I’m disturbed by how blind you are Penguin. I had a level of respect for you before because you were at least passive and articulate with your statements. Now, not so sure. In the case of my friend, she kept reconnecting and was disconnected shortly afterwards, without even AFKing. This shows that the standards that the ‘ANet dev in question’ outlined in his conversation with me weren’t even being followed. He was doing his own thing. That should not be promoted in a company like this.

I don’t see why you want to defend the actions of this employee. I’ve been supporting ANet since GW: Prophecies first came out. That’s almost a DECADE of support as a customer. I don’t want to see this one guy tarnish the reputation of a company that has been around for almost a decade. I don’t want to see the day come when I, as a loyal follower and supporter of ANet, am randomly banned because one guy goes on a power trip. I would hate to see the same happen to you or anyone else.

Lucromia Mukroc – Necromancer
Leader of The Hardcore Caravan [HC] – Blackgate
http://thehardcorecaravan.shivtr.com/

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

You don’t even know what anet’s response was to the tickets filed.

AFKing in LA

Smooth Penguin.5294

Because I read the chat logs from the Anet Head of Security.

Correct. That response is between Customer Support and the player. If they felt the suspension was unwarranted, it will be reversed. Pretty simple.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Correct. That response is between Customer Support and the player. If they felt the suspension was unwarranted, it will be reversed. Pretty simple.

Yep. So not everyone who got banned deserved it.

AFKing in LA

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Because you know.. for a fact… that combat logs were checked to insure that there was positively no activity done in the zone, and that no person was unfairly kicked for taking a break from active participation?

And who is we? You are just another player. Your opinions are not facts. You, as a player, do not even have access to the “facts” that should be checked prior to a suspension or ejection. You have no hard factual knowledge of whether anyone actually “deserved” a kick or suspension at all.

AFKing in LA

Smooth Penguin.5294

And that all boils down to Anet’s decision. Not yours. Not mine.

So the circle is complete. Anet acted justly in their actions to kick/suspend AFKers. If a mistake was made, it will be corrected. If Customer Support gives a second chance to offenders, so be it. Happy ending for all.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

And that all boils down to Anet’s decision. Not yours. Not mine.

So the circle is complete. Anet acted justly in their actions to kick/suspend AFKers. If a mistake was made, it will be corrected. If Customer Support gives a second chance to offenders, so be it. Happy ending for all.

And yet this incident seems tied to one particular person only.. So saying “Anet” seems inappropriate in this case.

AFKing in LA

Teofa Tsavo.9863

And so now you are implying that you have access to his Chat logs.. or are you just referring to the chat we have all seen posted?

“oh, another one!” “Quaggan will miss you!!”….

AFKing in LA

Smooth Penguin.5294

And so now you are implying that you have access to his Chat logs.. or are you just referring to the chat we have all seen posted?

The chat logs posted in the closed thread show, without a doubt, that the suspension was justified in the eyes of Anet. According to Qt, logs show that the person was kicked multiple times, and continued to return to the map to AFK during the event. Repeated behavior.

So which part of this is hard to accept? The fact that a player was caught AFKing? Or the fact that the AFKer repeated an action that, in the eyes of Anet, was not allowed?

AFKing in LA

Teofa Tsavo.9863

The chat logs posted in the closed thread show, without a doubt, that the suspension was justified in the eyes of Anet. According to Qt, logs show that the person was kicked multiple times, and continued to return to the map to AFK during the event. Repeated behavior.

So which part of this is hard to accept? The fact that a player was caught AFKing? Or the fact that the AFKer repeated an action that, in the eyes of Anet, was not allowed?

What part is hard to accept? Your assertion of “without a doubt”, which is your opinion, not fact.

“According to QT”… why again with the implied access to inner workings? Desperate for validation much?

You do not, and should not, have access to any logs that would actually prove a suspension justified “without a doubt”. You are just speculating.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

In the eyes of one dev. Who is human and is very much culpable.

AFKing in LA

Smooth Penguin.5294

In the eyes of one dev. Who is human and is very much culpable.

Human errors can be made. It happens in the past, and it can happen now. I can understand if someone was suspended for 72 hours instead of just being kicked from the map on their first offense, that’s a big mistake. But if it was a repeated offense, I have less sympathy.

I firmly believe that all punishments are deserved. GMs are doing what they can to make this game great for everyone, not just the exploiters. Because of that, I’ll support them. If Anet changes course, and allows the AFKers to do what they’re doing, I’ll be the first to complain about their inaction. But I have faith they have internal policies that prevent “GM abuse”, so we players need not worry.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Hello all,

As this thread has now veered off the original intent, we will be closing it. If you wish to discuss AFK in LA, you can create a new thread. Be sure to keep it clean, do not discuss support decisions, and do not be rude or insulting to each other.

If you have concerns regarding in-game bans/kicks, please contact Support directly via the Support page to escalate your concerns.