"Butcher what isn't us."

"Butcher what isn't us."

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

“Butcher what isn’t us.” ~Magnus the Bloody-Handed

When he said this during the evacuation of Lion’s Arch, the history buff in me bolted awake and shivered. If human history had a coat of arms, this motto would be at the bottom.¹

I would like to extend kudos to the writer for getting that reaction out of me.

¹Applies to both Earth and Tyria.

I should be writing.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

Any one who has read atleast 1 piece of literature will have the same reaction.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

That is cringe-worthy, yikes. But I’m curious, is that a reference to a specific piece of literature? Google didn’t bring up anything specific.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I don’t know about any literature references. But it could be the “perfect” line for xenophobia.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I don’t know about any literature references. But it could be the “perfect” line for xenophobia.

Or any form of Nationalism.

“If you’re not with us, you’re against us” – Bush the Second.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

It’s the perfect response to having your home, your family and your life destroyed in fire by an army of creatures.

We like our tea & cookies North American lifestyle, believing that we’re better because we’ve read a good book. But when the zombies come up from the sewers and you’re having philosophical debates with yourself, the barrel of my gun will already by hot from pointing it at the face of everything that comes near my home and doesn’t look like me.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

A lot of other people said it well before Bush #43, including Lenin and Jesus.
And you misquoted him. “Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.” – Bush #43

But yea, that line is pretty hardcore. Makes me glad Magnus is on our side.

Edit:

We like our tea & cookies North American lifestyle, believing that we’re better because we’ve read a good book. But when the zombies come up from the sewers and you’re having philosophical debates with yourself, the barrel of my gun will already by hot from pointing it at the face of everything that comes near my home and doesn’t look like me.

Nicely said

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

“Sir, what shall we do, for we cannot distinguish between the faithful and the heretics.”
"Kill them all for the Lord knoweth them that are His.”
- Béziers, 1209 A.D.

I say we take off and Skyhammer the entire site from Rata Sum. It’s the only way to be sure.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

“Sir, what shall we do, for we cannot distinguish between the faithful and the heretics.”
“Kill them all for the Lord knoweth them that are His.”
- Béziers, 1209 A.D.

I say we take off and Skyhammer the entire site from Rata Sum. It’s the only way to be sure.

Why? It’s pretty simple to distinguish between our people and Scarlet’s goons. They have red text floating over their heads.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

- Béziers, 1209 A.D.

Hah , Aliens I love it
Except we are just grunts, we cannot make decisions like that. Something like that.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

“A Single Death is a Tragedy; a Million Deaths is a Statistic”

Joseph Stalin

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

It’s the perfect response to having your home, your family and your life destroyed in fire by an army of creatures.

Sublimated sociapathy at it’s ugliest.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

Hardly, he’s not saying stop feeling empathy for everyone, just everyone outside your group. The nationalism’s probably more accurate. And that’s the most basic and original of human culture and emotion. Our entire BRAINS (see monkey sphere) are engineered for tribal groups. And the way you keep your group alive is one of two ways, trading and interacting peacefully with other tribes for materials, OR killing them and taking their stuff. When the other tribe has shown itself as hostile, you do the second, and remove all memory that they ever were. Actually that second part isn’t true, you’d just assimilate the survivors, but really the concept is more inline with self defense imo.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I dont see a problem here.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

“That phrase was used for hundreds of years before bush was even born” – Ghandi

(edited by Conncept.7638)

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Great quote from Magnus and it does reflect humanity at times.
In fact Star Trek had a quote with similar context:

Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They’re a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people… will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don’t believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Its an amazingly practical survival tactic.

But one easily made light of from any sufficiently cushy vantage point.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Not sure, here. Either this poster should learn to spell the psychological maladjustment he is alluding to (sociopathy) or he has invented a new one — involving apathy towards society.

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Not sure, here. Either this poster should learn to spell the psychological maladjustment he is alluding to (sociopathy) or he has invented a new one — involving apathy towards society.

To butcher/paraphrase the rhyme…..

“for want of a letter the point was lost”

I think there is a vast difference between accurately identifying the “Other” threat and responding to that threat and proactively identifying the “Other” as a threat. The former is described in Kevin Costner’s monologue after defending the First Nation village with which he was aligned. The latter is described by World War 2 Axis power rhetoric. Zombification is the latter. It is a fantasy used to make everyone, including those in your immediate social group, a potential threat.

In general the strategy the quote describes can backfire, by causing group A to attack another group that could destroy them or for group A to over extend themselves in the defense.

Specific to this NPC’s dialogue….
Think the line is intended to demonstrate his personality and not intended to condemn or celebrate the strategy.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

(edited by Psientist.6437)

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Scott.7163

Scott.7163

“I hate quotes” – Gus Sorola

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

- Béziers, 1209 A.D.

Hah , Aliens I love it
Except we are just grunts, we cannot make decisions like that. Something like that.

Braham: No offense taken.
Braham: I say we dust off, waypoint out, skyhammer the site from Rata Sum. It’s the only way to be sure!

Ellen Kiel: look that says “I am SOOO sleeping with you tonight.”

"Butcher what isn't us."

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

“That phrase was used for hundreds of years before bush was even born” – Ghandi

“Don’t believe everything you see on the internet just because it’s wrapped in quotes with a name attached.” – Abraham Lincoln, Witchfinder General