Romance Repetition

Romance Repetition

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

So, now we have had TWO prominent lesbian romances:

1. Caithe and Faolin
2. Marjory and Kasmeer

And no heterosexual romances “in the spotlight,” or other species, or….
I’m not saying they don’t exist. We have the backdrop romance of Logan and the Queen, for instance, and the two cooing quaggans in the refugee camp, together since the Tower of Nightmares.

But none of them have had much spotlight. But now we have had two that seemed to get more spotlight than the rest, both lesbian romances.

To preface my own personal attitude and to hopefully deflect accusations of homophobia, I could’t care LESS what someone’s sexual proclivities are, as long as the people are all consenting adults. I’ve been friends with homosexuals, swingers, BDSMers, the list goes on and on.

But I also know that the mainstream IS heterosexual. And having now TWO lesbian romances back to back in the stories as the closest thing to a spotlight romance does now raise my eyebrow: it feels like it’s a social agenda being pushed.

I don’t like social agendas in my entertainment. I just want to be entertained, not proselytized to.

So why now two of these in a row? If the story writers were just trying to write something “different,” they could have mixed it up. Why not a romance in a different species, or in BETWEEN two species? For example, Braham and Rox!

I’d love to see a quaggan/skritt romance, just because I think it would be hysterical.

I’m just saying, it seems/feels now after two of these prominent that its a social commentary. If not, why two of these back to back? If so, well, please, we don’t need to have a social commentary shoved down our throats. Just entertain us, and if adding in romances, remember who the MAJORITY is, or at least mix it up with other romances, such as the type we would not normally see.

Norn/quaggan? Human Charr? Golem/Asura? :-D

And actually, someone else I saw posted here they felt the lesbian scenes weren’t for a social agenda but for the pandering to the “fanboy” out there, and why didn’t he get to have two men in a romance? His question, not mine, but I did find it an interesting one.

Anyway. I’m just saying. I’m interested in hetero romances, not homosexual ones… or romances that we couldnt see in the real world. Have one lesbian romance if you need it, but please remember that the majority of people ARE hetero, and we would like to have our interests “pandered” to as well.

And it doesn’t mean we are homophobic. We just happen to have our own interests in what we like.

Heck, last time I saw the two quaggans at the refugee camp, the female quaggan, on saying she hated scarlet and wished she would DIE, I thought she sounded borderline ready to transform to that Piranha Hulk state that I thought it would have been cool for her to show up ready to chew on Scarlet some!

(as a side note, I did find it interesting that Marjory appeared not lesbian, but pansexual; she appeared to flirt with anything that moved; I would have found it far more interesting if she DID flirt with just about everything, and thus took more time to get closer to Kasmeer, maybe even have some friction about it in the beginning…. and Scarlet’s crack about dating Caithe in the Aetherblade dungeon was hysterical too! )

And here I’m concerned that the politically correct crowd is going to attack me for this post… but like I said, I don’t care about people’s proclivities in general… after all, I have a “proclivity” that I’m not going to discuss here. I just think that two in a row for a game like this is a bit odd and eyebrow-raising. Next storyline, think we can steer away from a third repetition and give us something a little different?

(edited by Moderator)

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Arosche.7438

Arosche.7438

First of all; your point is not homophobic. Anyone who says so should be used as a footstool.

I believe you’ve made a valuable point. Female homosexual relationships are a bit more acceptable ( for absolutely horrid sexist reason as “men like it so it’s okay”) and I absolutely think Anet is trying to push an agenda. A good agenda! The more homosexual relationships in the spotlight the better!

I disagree about the inequality though. There are a ton hetrosexual relationships in gw2, they just fly under your radar because they are so normalised to you. I can count five off the top of my head in personal story (even a married couple!). So a ton of normal hetro sexual relationships for 2 homosexual relationships in the spotlight… seems okay to me.

I would have liked to see more male homosexual relationships but my gut feeling is gw2 player are just not going to take a male relationship as well as they will take a female one. It’s horrible but true I wish it was different.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

I would have liked to see more male homosexual relationships but my gut feeling is gw2 player are just not going to take a male relationship as well as they will take a female one. It’s horrible but true I wish it was different.

There is a male Sylvari couple early in one of that race’s personal stories. I’ve never seen any objection about it.

Also, Rytlock and Logan are clearly the #1 couple in the game.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I agree with what Arosche says, there are plenty heterosexual relationships. Only, we tend to not register those.

And that’s sort of interesting in itself. Plenty of games present us with 100% heterosexual relationships. No one ever even notices that. At least not without actively looking for it.
But here we have one lesbian relationship on main NPCs, and one which couuuuld be interpreted as overtly lesbian (it’s difficult to say, Sylvari have sexual dimorphism but no actual gender identity much). And it’s… special?

Sure, it stands out in a way I guess, but only by standing out less than other games.

I will also agree that I’d love to see male homosexual romance as accepted as female one has become recently, but well… I think society has a bit to go before most people will no longer find it awkward. Still, good effort.

And without wanting to sound personally criticizing, isn’t it more telling that you even noticed the “abundance” (it isn’t) of primary-NPC lesbian relationships, Morfedel? Why is it even something of note?

(Sidenote, we have a golem/golem couple in the personal story, and that part was one of the saddest moments of the PS. Beat out Tybalt, for me. “The things we do for love”, Asura… I think Dynamics.)

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

We do have quaggan rommance, it started during the Tower LS

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

My favorite hetero relationship in the game is the bandit man and the seraph woman, hidden away. I don’t remember where it is, but when I found it I sat with them for a while.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: florence.1674

florence.1674

It’s a relationship between 2 people. Should it matter whatever the sexes of the 2 are? Claiming to not be homophobic when making a homophobic point does not absolve the OP from being homophobic.

Race used to matter to people when it comes to relationships. Do you think it’s acceptable to question the race of 2 people in a relationship today?

WvW law #1: nobody in WvW can count.

(edited by florence.1674)

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

First of all; your point is not homophobic. Anyone who says so should be used as a footstool.

I believe you’ve made a valuable point. Female homosexual relationships are a bit more acceptable ( for absolutely horrid sexist reason as “men like it so it’s okay”) and I absolutely think Anet is trying to push an agenda. A good agenda! The more homosexual relationships in the spotlight the better!

I disagree about the inequality though. There are a ton hetrosexual relationships in gw2, they just fly under your radar because they are so normalised to you. I can count five off the top of my head in personal story (even a married couple!). So a ton of normal hetro sexual relationships for 2 homosexual relationships in the spotlight… seems okay to me.

While I admit that i’d be more uncomfortable with a male relationship, I also know that that is hypocritical. I can’t control my emotional response, but I can recognize it and choose not to act on it.

And you are right, it IS a double standard.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Something different?
like Braham and Rox? :P

Seriously though the two Quaggans you mention are male and female- people have been following their romance since Tower of Nightmares.

Personally I have always thought of Faolin and Caithe as more in the background, like Logan and Jenna.
they are not having a relationship so much as being exes with creepy issues.
Their sexuality is also irrelevant with them being Sylvari

So that leaves Marjory and Kasmeer as the only prominent same sex relationship.

I really cannot read social agenda/ political correctness/ fan service or whatever into this.

Rather I see it as character development- it is just a different aspect of their personalities.
As for the “Lesbian scenes”- I assure you I would have had exactly the same reaction if my husband had almost died.
Seemed pretty reasonable to me actually

Gunnar’s Hold

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

There is a male Sylvari couple early in one of that race’s personal stories. I’ve never seen any objection about it.

Also, Rytlock and Logan are clearly the #1 couple in the game.

There is? I have two sylvari, but I haven’t played them much yet. I’ll have to see that.

And as for Rytlock and Logan, BWAHAHA, you are right haha!

Romance Repetition

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

There are people of all types who play gw2, that being said, id probaly guess a majority is probaly guys. Guys like girls. The end

Romance Repetition

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I don’t like to see ANY romance in MAIN story plot.

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

It’s a relationship between 2 people. Should it matter whatever the sexes of the 2 are? Claiming to not be homophobic when making a homophobic point does not absolve the OP from being homophobic.

Race used to matter to people when it comes to relationships. Do you think it’s acceptable to question the race of 2 people in a relationship today?

It has nothing to do with homophobia, and everything to do with finding it uninteresting. Tell me, do you think a lesbian or gay man finds watching hetero romances interesting?

I KNEW that someone would come along with a homophobic accusation, no matter how I explained it. I was hoping I’d be wrong, but I knew it was coming. Disappointing that you couldn’t take the post for how it was intended.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Slayer Lord.5023

Slayer Lord.5023

Technically, Sylvari don’t really have genders. They are all equal except they have an outward appearance as “human”. This makes Marjory and Kasmeer a true lesbian couple.

Have you totally missed the Quaggan side character romance??? They are like Quaggan married or whatever Quaggans do. There is your straight couple.

Mixed species romance? That is a lot harder. The cultures are very different. Humans and Charr just got out of the longest war in the game. Most Charr would consider others “meat” unless they prove otherwise. Although friendship is possible, its very touchy right now. Asura don’t truly respect anyone not Asura. Sylvari are the most open society, but generally consider themselves different. Norn and Human is the most likely, but Norn respect must be earned with victories. Only rare humans could do that. Other species generally live tribally and don’t fit in the big cities aside from friendly merchants and travelers of their kind.

Jade Quarry Server

[DARK]

Romance Repetition

Posted by: florence.1674

florence.1674

It has nothing to do with homophobia, and everything to do with finding it uninteresting. Tell me, do you think a lesbian or gay man finds watching hetero romances interesting?

I KNEW that someone would come along with a homophobic accusation, no matter how I explained it. I was hoping I’d be wrong, but I knew it was coming. Disappointing that you couldn’t take the post for how it was intended.

The point is, should it matter what the sexes of the 2 persons in a relationship are? You are being discriminatory and asking such relationships to stop appearing.

WvW law #1: nobody in WvW can count.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Ah, different people. To me, it’s more interesting, out of… I suppose… an outside curiosity. Which feels weird to say, because it makes it sound like a science fair experiment. Which it isn’t meant to imply.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Romance Repetition

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I’ve seen people say this kind of thing.

I enjoy love stories a lot. They make me feel squishy inside. I’m glad to see them in a game I love.

I’m 22y/o and i hate “feels”, maybe i just too cynical for this kind of story. In my mind story should be way more brutal and grim. If game can show homosexual romance it can show something really dark and scary.

We didn’t even have any visible victims, just refugees. Where mountains of dead bodies?

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

(edited by Moderator)

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I enjoy love stories a lot. They make me feel squishy inside. I’m glad to see them in a game I love.

I’m 22y/o and i hate “feels”, maybe i just too cynical for this kind of story. In my mind story should be way more brutal and grim. If game can show homosexual romance it can show something really dark and scary.

I am 42 and I outgrew the need for dark and grim years ago, real life is grim enough.
I like feels- it reminds me that I still have feels

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Moderator)

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

I agree with what Arosche says, there are plenty heterosexual relationships. Only, we tend to not register those.

And that’s sort of interesting in itself. Plenty of games present us with 100% heterosexual relationships. No one ever even notices that. At least not without actively looking for it.
But here we have one lesbian relationship on main NPCs, and one which couuuuld be interpreted as overtly lesbian (it’s difficult to say, Sylvari have sexual dimorphism but no actual gender identity much). And it’s… special?

Sure, it stands out in a way I guess, but only by standing out less than other games.

I will also agree that I’d love to see male homosexual romance as accepted as female one has become recently, but well… I think society has a bit to go before most people will no longer find it awkward. Still, good effort.

And without wanting to sound personally criticizing, isn’t it more telling that you even noticed the “abundance” (it isn’t) of primary-NPC lesbian relationships, Morfedel? Why is it even something of note?

(Sidenote, we have a golem/golem couple in the personal story, and that part was one of the saddest moments of the PS. Beat out Tybalt, for me. “The things we do for love”, Asura… I think Dynamics.)

I see what you are saying, but look at the screen time.

The quaggan relationship. Has a few lines of dialogue. All the rest of the romances, are pretty much just a few lines here and there.

But Caithe’s and Faolins, as well as Marjory and Kasmeer’s, are both front and center – at least, it seemed so to me.

Now that being the case, I suppose Logan and the Queen could be argued either direction. They were important to the story… but you also never saw them snuggling up, getting all cutesy, etc.

Maybe as such I am whitewashing it. I dunno, I may have to go back and rewatch it.

In the meantime though, I haven’t done all the personal stories yet, but I do recall at least one of those others; the asura woman whose husband died in your care.

But those were personal stories, not the main story that every single person gets involved in. I guess that’s what I mean: it felt like these two were thrust in the spotlight, where the others were not. But then, Logan’s relationship to the queen was there too, but the romance was unrequited and mostly just offscreen, serving as a friction point between him and Rytlock.

Maybe you ARE right though, and maybe those should carry nearly the same weight. I’ll have to think on it.

And as a side note: golem/golem romance?! Where?! I need to see that!

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

Well, I don’t see the romance as a kitten or hetero one, I see a romance between Kasmeer and Marjory, and I like it as it is. I would have been more dissapointed if they wouldn’t develope that story because is may not be well seeing. :S

I liked both characters, I like watch their friendship and how it was growing to the current romance. I don’t have any complaints for it.

Romance Repetition

Lilith Ajit.6173

We didn’t even have any visible victims, just refugees. Where mountains of dead bodies?

I’m fine with not having it, though I do think it would increase my immersion. However, young kids play this game. I understand the reasoning for not.

Anyway, I like feels in my games. Makes me want to be in Tyria more.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

(edited by Moderator)

Romance Repetition

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I honestly couldn’t care WHO is in the spotlight as it:

1) Doesn’t affect me personally in any way
2) They’re here to tell a story, not push an agenda

It’s funny how people get offended and scream for “equality” whenever a minority gets a spotlight once in a century.

Romance Repetition

knbBlackTemplar.3059

granted, they've all been boys under the age of 14... But to each their own.

I am 42 and I outgrew the need for dark and grim years ago, real life is grim enough.
I like feels- it reminds me that I still have feels

feeling overrated.

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

Technically, Sylvari don’t really have genders. They are all equal except they have an outward appearance as “human”. This makes Marjory and Kasmeer a true lesbian couple.

Have you totally missed the Quaggan side character romance??? They are like Quaggan married or whatever Quaggans do. There is your straight couple.

Mixed species romance? That is a lot harder. The cultures are very different. Humans and Charr just got out of the longest war in the game. Most Charr would consider others “meat” unless they prove otherwise. Although friendship is possible, its very touchy right now. Asura don’t truly respect anyone not Asura. Sylvari are the most open society, but generally consider themselves different. Norn and Human is the most likely, but Norn respect must be earned with victories. Only rare humans could do that. Other species generally live tribally and don’t fit in the big cities aside from friendly merchants and travelers of their kind.

Ok, guess I didn’t make myself clear. I didn’t say these romances didnt exist. I said they didn’t take any spotlight the way the lesbian romances did. Yes, there are “romances” scattered all over the place! I know!

But they are mostly just a few lines at best, if not just ambient conversation. None of them are taking the spotlight the way the lesbian ones did.

And I didn’t have a problem with the FIRST one. You can look at every post I’ve ever made, and I never once complained about Caithe and Faolin prior to Marjory and Kasmeer coming into the picture.

My problem was that we had two in a row that seem to take the spotlight as a primary part of the story. I’d just like to have for the second spotlight romance, either seen something more standard, as a hetero who can identify more with a hetero relationship, or something far more different, such as interspecies, which I think would actually bring up some intriguing conversations.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

When I said that it’s generally the ladies who enjoy romance subplots more than gents, I was warned about sexism. So be careful!

(edited by Moderator)

Romance Repetition

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Gotta agree with you OP. It seems like a fan-service. Their relationship was handled sloppily and reminds me of Twilight. Surprised others seem to love it but to each their own.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Durrik.4679

Durrik.4679

The two in the spot light were lesbian romances. The one heterosexual romance that was pushed to the front was Logan and the Queen. I don’t use her name because its more like Fido and his master. The other heterosexual romances in the game weren’t really brought forward and there hasn’t been any development or character growth.

The Caithe and Faolin barely had any growth in it, and you only got to see that through some of the back story by the time you get to see it its all been hashed out and developed. Logan and Jennah has no growth. The only romance that has any sort of growth was Marjory and Kasmeer.

Of course the main characters don’t really have that much time to develop a romance. Interracial romance is still a hotly contested subject and I don’t think Anet is really ready to make that step, not like Star Trek was with the famous white/black kiss.

But look at the main characters:

Personal Story:
1. Caithe – Female Sylvari
2. Zojja – Female Asura
3. Eir – Female Norn
4. Logan – Male Human
5. Rytlock – Male Charr
6. Trahearne – Clinically depressed Male Sylvari

So we have 3 females and 3 males, and only Caithe and Trahearne are the same species, and really who’d ever see anyone hooking up with Trahearne, it’d be ‘This won’t end well.’ all the time. I don’t count Snaff because I don’t remember him actually being in the game anywhere and I never read the books. The other characters really didn’t have any sort of relationship besides Logan and Rytlock. The rest was just cliche hatred that wasn’t really explained in the game.

So we have the new Living Story:
1. Kasmeer – Female Human
2. Marjory – Female Human
3. Braham – Male Norn
4. Rox – Female Charr

I don’t count Taimi because she doesn’t really do anything for the story, and she’s a kid and doesn’t have anything to do with romance I hope. So we have two humans, a norn and a charr. If interspecies romance is out that leave the two humans. Since the party is loaded 3 (4 if you count Taimi) females to 1 male that leaves the only option being a lesbian romance.

So if you want a heterosexual romance with some growth and progression there needs to be more males in the main group of heroes. While there definitely are lots of heterosexual couples in the game they’re mostly static, and not given any growth. The only group I could see really hooking up for this is if Evon and Rox got together, but there’s been no hint of that. Or Anet takes the plunge and pushes an interspecies romance to the front for some sort of story arc.

Romance Repetition

Lilith Ajit.6173

When I said that it’s generally the ladies who enjoy romance subplots more than gents, I was warned about sexism. So be careful!

I get that, but honestly… Literature and storytelling has romance. The only people I’ve met (apart from Knight, now) who are openly disgusted or against these things being incorporated into a story generally fit that demographic. And also, that’s why I put it blacked out.

[ARES]

(edited by Moderator)

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

The point is, should it matter what the sexes of the 2 persons in a relationship are? You are being discriminatory and asking such relationships to stop appearing.

You need to read better. If I was discriminatory, I’d have been complaining since discovering Faolin and Caithe. I had said no such thing until the second time this thing rolled around.

I also didn’t say I wanted it to stop appearing. What I asked is, we had two of the exact same thing appear now in the primary spotlight, and I wonder why? Lesbian relationships, as a part of the population as a whole, is a very small percentage. Extremely small.

And as such, I think ONE major relationship like that is fine in the story as a primary spotlight. But when a second one rolls around, considering the fact that lesbian relationships are such a small percentage in real life, it makes me wonder why?

And yes, as a hetero, I find hetero romances more interesting. But if I was being discriminatory, I’d have protested when I discovered the first one. Been playing since beta, and I never said a word, and didn’t care at all, until the second one came around.

Tell me, what’s the problem with expecting OTHER romance types to be explored as part of the primary storyline? There are so many possibilities, and yet only one type has taken the spotlight as a major story.

((Barring Logan and Queen Jenna, but we don’t really see them canoodling, do we? It’s been the ignition point between him and Rytlock rather than a romance being developed. But… perhaps I should count that anyway. I’ll have to consider it))

Romance Repetition

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I get that, but honestly… Literature and storytelling has romance. The only people I’ve met (apart from Knight, now) who are openly disgusted or against these things being incorporated into a story generally fit that demographic. And also, that’s why I put it blacked out.

You didn’t met a lot of hardcore gamers, didn’t you? We’ve seen too much things.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

why poeple cares about this? is just another romance, for me it doesn’t really mater if it is homosexual or not, kass and jory romance was good, Caithe and Faolain are in the same level as Logan and Jenah so its kinda meh and there is Rox and Braham

I find it amussing how people says “I don’t care” or “I’m not homophobic” yet they keep pointing out the existance of said relationships, there is no secret agenda either, just learn to accept it and take it as something normal already!

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

I honestly couldn’t care WHO is in the spotlight as it:

1) Doesn’t affect me personally in any way
2) They’re here to tell a story, not push an agenda

It’s funny how people get offended and scream for “equality” whenever a minority gets a spotlight once in a century.

How do you know they arent pushing an agenda? Not trying to argue, just genuinely curious.

And as for equality, like I have said several times now, I didn’t say a word when Caithe and Faolin’s romance was revealed. But I just found it odd when now, for two stories whose main romance revealed were homosexual in nature, I found that choice curious. Homosexuality is a very small percentage of the whole… am I ok with it being a part of the story on occasion? Sure. But when it comes to the main spotlight, when it happens twice out of two times and well after a year of game time….

Heck, i’d like to have seen if Logan and Jenna ever got together. Or, an interspecies romance. It just seems to me when they spent a major part of the romance spotlight in the primary story arcs on lesbian relationships, it feels like they are either pushing an agenda or they are pandering to fanboys who like girl on girl action.

Either way I wouldnt like it in these cases.

Now if they had followed Caithe and Faolin with, say, a braham/rox romance, or if they had Logan and Jenna, or a golem and asura, or whatever.. the would have been doing something different, and STILL non standard barring logan and jenna.

And heck, afterwards, coming back to caithe and faolin or doing Jory / kasmeer later, after exploring something else as a major story element, that would have been fine with me too.

Romance Repetition

Lilith Ajit.6173

You didn’t met a lot of hardcore gamers, didn’t you? We’ve seen too much things.

I didn’t think hardcore gamers cared about the story at all, tbh.

[ARES]

Romance Repetition

CharrGirl.7896

Hey OP, since we all feel the need to elaborate our sexual orientation beforehand, I’m gonna do the same, I’m a hetero female in a relationship for a long time now and I have no problems investing myself in homosexual relationship like Kasmeer and Majory because they reflect real life and real world feelings of how two people act around their loved ones, especially in dire situations.

That being said I don’t need a hetero romance in the spotlight to relate myself to – i see them as people foremost, and characters. As such I tend to avoid using words “lesbian” or “gay”, but I know a kittenton of people wouldn’t agree with me.

Anyway that’s how I see it. Try to give it a shot :P

Romance Repetition

X The Manimal.5293

I find it amussing how people says “I don’t care” or “I’m not homophobic” yet they keep pointing out the existance of said relationships, there is no secret agenda either, just learn to accept it and take it as something normal already!

What’s wrong with pointing out an irk with relationships in game? Hetero or homo? And FYI – The way you phrased this last paragraph makes it seem like you believe the OP is actually homophobic (a term very loosely used nowadays).

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

Of course the main characters don’t really have that much time to develop a romance. Interracial romance is still a hotly contested subject and I don’t think Anet is really ready to make that step, not like Star Trek was with the famous white/black kiss.

But I think it could be done – I’d have loved to have seen, say, an Asura/Sylvari, or maybe like Braham/Rox.

But, I wanted to point out something to those who decided to ignore my continual comments that my disgruntlement isn’t discriminatory:

I really enjoyed the caithe/faolin story. I thought it was intriguing, and here faolin was, a queen of nightmares, and caithe loves her, and visa versa. I thought it was great!

I just wanted to see something different second time around. Seeing the same type of pairing second time around felt contrived and with a goal of some sort….

Romance Repetition

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I was right, you didn’t.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Two male or female Sylvari getting together would be more common to see, because as I understand it, Sylvari don’t really have gender, since they don’t have reproductive organs as far as I know.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Romance Repetition

Lilith Ajit.6173

I was right, you didn’t.

So you’re saying that hardcore, say, dungeon runners, care about the dungeon cut scenes? They actively role play?

[ARES]

Romance Repetition

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

To get this out of the way, I have nothing against gay or lesbian relationships, but I do not agree with them either. I do not like them, but I will not call them out on it.

I have yet to see a prominent heterosexual relationship in this game. and to bring it up, many games these days are making gay and lesbian relationships the spotlight when heterosexual relationships are still much more common than gay or lesbian. Do they exist? yes, but are they as common? no. I think games these days are doing that to cover their tracks, or just to say “look we are supporting gay and lesbian relationships!” so the press does not get mad at them.

personally I hope to see a prominent traditional heterosexual relationship like majory and kasameer’s cutscene at the end of the scarlet solo instance take place. (again nothing wrong with it, just think that there is no prominent hetero relationship)

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

Romance Repetition

Morfedel.4165

Hey OP, since we all feel the need to elaborate our sexual orientation beforehand, I’m gonna do the same, I’m a hetero female in a relationship for a long time now and I have no problems investing myself in homosexual relationship like Kasmeer and Majory because they reflect real life and real world feelings of how two people act around their loved ones, especially in dire situations.

That being said I don’t need a hetero romance in the spotlight to relate myself to – i see them as people foremost, and characters. As such I tend to avoid using words “lesbian” or “gay”, but I know a kittenton of people wouldn’t agree with me.

Anyway that’s how I see it. Try to give it a shot :P

And if you will look at my last post above, plus read my OP again, you will see I didn’t have a problem with it the first time around. Its when they did it twice in a row to “stealing the spotlight” romances that I had an issue with it… because it felt, to me, like they are pushing an agenda.

I really enjoyed the Caithe/Faolin storyline. I just felt when they started a second lesbian storyline for the major plot point that I was like, “ok, are they doing this for an agenda, to appeal to the geek fanboy who likes girl-on-girl porn, or what?”

After all, otherwise, why not have a hetero romance for the second one, or a interspecies, or golem/asura or golem/golem as the serious, major romance of the story? Why have two lesbian romances for the major romance in a row?

I think my complaint is because such relationships are, statistically, rare, compared to other types.

But I didn’t complain the first time, and even enjoyed it. But the second time, it made me go “hm.”

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Yes. But it was not pushed in our faces where we are FORCED to watch in order to progress through the living story and personal story.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

What’s wrong with pointing out an irk with relationships in game? Hetero or homo? And FYI – The way you phrased this last paragraph makes it seem like you believe the OP is actually homophobic (a term very loosely used nowadays).

well maybe not phobic, but he sure isn’t comfortable with it or else this thread would have never happened…

actually my problem isn’t exactly with people pointing out their oppinion about some romance, but everytime a patch hits there is no kitten end to the complaints it just gets tiring you know? I enjoy the game but the forum is so full of complaints and more complaints… I wish people could just give it a rest

Romance Repetition

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I was right, you didn’t.

So you’re saying that hardcore, say, dungeon runners, care about the dungeon cut scenes? They actively role play?

I didn’t talk about mmo-manchkins, i told about gamers who play almost every singleplayer game and mmorpg.

Romance Repetition

Lilith Ajit.6173

I was right, you didn’t.

I didn’t talk about mmo-manchkins, i told about gamers who play almost every singleplayer game and mmorpg.

Sorry I thought we were talking about this game right here on the forum for that specific game.

[ARES]

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Prominence is the difference, I don’t think “fly under the radar” is a good argument against prominence because the next most prominent relationship isn’t as heavily featured as this one (at least not in terms of intimacy). This is easily the most prominent romance in Tyria now. No-one else got a kiss scene (in the middle of the finale for some reason). To add to that, this relationship has no plot relevance. Logan and Jennah’s relationship suits the story much better because it has implications for the royal line. Marjory and Kasmeer’s relationship constantly feels like eaves dropping something we have no reason to be involved with. The world isn’t going to change now that they are a couple, if Logan and Jennah married Tyria would change. If Caithe joined Faolain in Nightmare, one of the Firstborn – the closest thing to sylvari leaders – becomes evil. Marjory and Kasmeer’s relationship and it’s presence in the story is self serving, it doesn’t make Tyria a more interesting place, it doesn’t build plots within the world, it just serves as an identity for these two characters. An identity most of Tyria wouldn’t care about.

You talk about a spotlight, but the only other people in a spotlight similair to Marjory and Kasmeer are Rox, Braham and Destiny’s Edge. You can’t fairly compare a random couple from the personal story to two (or three if you count Caithe and Faolain) of the “iconic” characters.

Romance Repetition

X The Manimal.5293

well maybe not phobic, but he sure isn’t comfortable with it or else this thread would have never happened…

actually my problem isn’t exactly with people pointing out their oppinion about some romance, but everytime a patch hits there is no kitten end to the complaints it just gets tiring you know? I enjoy the game but the forum is so full of complaints and more complaints… I wish people could just give it a rest

Hmmm I see what you mean. However, I don’t think that it’s necessarily wrong to not be 100% comfortable with such things. And yah I agree it seems like every time a patch hits its all negative from these forums but when I saw the ending cutscene it really wiped away all the little things that irked me about this patch. After taking a breath and a long hard look I actually enjoyed myself aside from the bugs and the Skill Effects galore that blocked my vision lol.

Romance Repetition

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m getting hung up on this back to back. Caithe’s thing with Folain has never been very spot light. It’s a thing that exists as part of her backstory and on the very few occasions where the two are brought together, but no more so than Logan pining for Jenna.

No, I would have to say that the Majory/Kasmeer romance has been the only romance to take front and center and be culminated in any meaningful way. Everything else, other than the two Quaggans being super mushy, has been kittenfooted around, regardless of how that romance has been presented.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Romance Repetition

CharrGirl.7896

Yes. But it was not pushed in our faces where we are FORCED to watch in order to progress through the living story and personal story.

Do you feel forced and embarrassed whenever a kiss scene in any movie pops up?

Romance Repetition

Lilith Ajit.6173

Do you feel forced and embarrassed whenever a kiss scene in any movie pops up?

Cooties!

I don’t but I guess i can see that some people might. Lol

[ARES]