*Spoilers* why(hiccup) did u guy (hiccup) add the hicup?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

Q:

Was it me or did that kinda ruin the ending?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

That’s been a character trait of Kasmeer since the Nightmare Tower. Kasmeer hiccups when she’s nervous. Marjory commented on it at one point.

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

To “add” character to Kasmeer. Its kind of a pathetic way to add it in, to be honest.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think we’re supposed to think it’s cute character development or something.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

I had a good laugh. I like it.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I thought it was funny. It makes her more real—everyone has their little quirks and tics. Hers is nervous hiccups XD

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Agreed on liking it. It’s an established character quirk. Makes me laugh every time.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I thought it was funny. It makes her more real—everyone has their little quirks and tics. Hers is nervous hiccups XD

I could understand a nervous tick, but this particular nervous tick… muscle spasms caused by nervousness are quite common, and hiccuping is a spasm of the diaphragm. But I’ve never heard of an internal muscle twitch, not sure if they’re even possible. Furthermore your diaphragm is pretty fragile and hiccuping closes off air intake, meaning that were this possible, it could actually be pretty dangerous.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

Before they explained it as being a nervous tic I thought she was drunk all the time…

(edited by Banono.4597)

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Anet must really like Rick and Morty.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Oh so that’s what that was about. My first reaction to that was to click on her to see if she was drunk or something.

Posted by: Xeno Mezphy.3145

Xeno Mezphy.3145

Nervous hiccups. A totally real thing that is exactly as dangerous as, you know, getting the hiccups.

Chronic hiccups. Also a totally real thing that is much closer to having a tic and is dangerous only in that it is a warning sign for actual diseases.

Kasmeer gets nervous/anxious hiccups. It’s common enough that it was a trope before you all had never heard of it before.

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

I wasn’t sure what it was meant to be. I was thinking she drank a lot before things happened or something.

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

I like how the writers implant the little things like this. It shows anyone with a disorder can be a hero. Gives you a “real” feeling.

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

I like that it’s a quirk but I feel that they overdid it…it kinda took away from teh drama of the moment :/

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

It’s an anxiety thing and as someone with anxiety, I was rather disgusted by them adding this. Because it was treated like nothing more than a joke. When this happens, you feel like you are literately dying, it is utterly frightening.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

(edited by bokkieskitten.8023)

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

It’s an anxiety thing and as someone with anxiety, I was rather disgusted by them adding this. Because it was treated like nothing more than a joke.

Not really? It’s no different then Tami with her legs, or tybalt with his paw….it makes the characters more real. Not every hero is perfect, some have personal challenges which is what I think anet is trying to portray. I didn’t laugh at the scene, I thought (man points) it was cute. Also had an anxiety disorder.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

As someone with anxiety, it was a good add for me, TY!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

hahahaha I LAUGHED SO kitten HARD

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

I though it was cute in her, it gave her a more weak appearance, what later contrasted with her brave reaction in the final moment.

Rox, Braham, Marjory, very strong the three, but at the end, was the tender Kasmeer with her hiccup the one that found the courage to fight and help me to defeat the villain. She was really great!

The hipcup was neither nothing new on her, but to discover it, was required to make the optional conversations with her and with Marjory on other previous areas.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I did play the tower but never noticed the hiccup comment so this weird character trait comes right out of the blue and really does not feel right. I guess I would have noticed better if it was not introduced on a whim and was present during more events.

Was it? Personally it just irritated and confused me.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: UrbanEMP.2654

UrbanEMP.2654

I did play the tower but never noticed the hiccup comment so this weird character trait comes right out of the blue and really does not feel right. I guess I would have noticed better if it was not introduced on a whim and was present during more events.

Was it? Personally it just irritated and confused me.

It was present during past events such as the Tower of Nightmares and during the Escape from Lions Arch, so they never really introduced it on a whim.

Sorry it wasn’t shoved in your face, but it was there if you payed attention to the NPC’s.

bokkieskitten.8023

It’s an anxiety thing and as someone with anxiety, I was rather disgusted by them adding this. Because it was treated like nothing more than a joke.

Not really? It’s no different then Tami with her legs, or tybalt with his paw….it makes the characters more real. Not every hero is perfect, some have personal challenges which is what I think anet is trying to portray. I didn’t laugh at the scene, I thought (man points) it was cute. Also had an anxiety disorder.

It was treated like a joke. So awkwardly thrown in and not serious at all. Many of us can not speak when this happens. …How nice you thought it was… ‘cute’… I wonder if my other half thinks it’s cute when I lock up and can’t breathe nor talk… Hmm….

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Makes her character more memorable.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

LOL!

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I have the same problem she does. .-. those invincible hiccups.

It was treated like a joke. So awkwardly thrown in and not serious at all. Many of us can not speak when this happens. …How nice you thought it was… ‘cute’… I wonder if my other half thinks it’s cute when I lock up and can’t breathe nor talk… Hmm….

Mine does o.O and it’s not like hiccups are harmful and going to make me suffocate to death. If so I’d be very long overdue for it at least.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

bokkieskitten.8023

I have the same problem she does. .-. those invincible hicups.

Mine does o.O and it’s not like hiccups are harmful and going to make me suffocate to death. If so I’d be very long overdue for it at least.

Mine does not, they terrify the living hell out of him. They turn into full on panic attacks, I lock up and can not breathe, there have been happenings of where I have blacked out/passed out whathaveyou. I mean, lovely, other people have it less frightening, some find it cute. Great, good on them. But it is wrong for anyone to try and make my opinion on it seem any less important.

Edited by Moderator

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Xeno Mezphy.3145

Xeno Mezphy.3145

I have the same problem she does. .-. those invincible hicups.

Mine does not, they terrify the living hell out of him. They turn into full on panic attacks, I lock up and can not breathe, there have been happenings of where I have blacked out/passed out whathaveyou. I mean, lovely, other people have it less frightening, some find it cute. Great, good on them. But it is wrong for anyone to try and make my opinion on it seem any less important.

I’m not taking issue with your taking issue. I’m taking issue with the logic behind your taking issue. You see something vaguely similar to something you’ve experienced, decided they were joking and became personally offended. None of the NPCs laugh at Kasmeer for hiccuping. The only time it was even MAYBE comic relief is when she was supposed to be invisible (several LS ago), but she had nervous hiccups. Even then, at no point did any of the NPCs even comment on it other than Kasmeer herself (or Marjory going “Shhhh” if you wanna count that).

Why were you disgusted exactly?

Edited by Moderator.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

It’s an anxiety thing and as someone with anxiety, I was rather disgusted by them adding this. Because it was treated like nothing more than a joke. When this happens, you feel like you are literately dying, it is utterly frightening.

How was it treated like a joke? I never got the impression of it being a joke. It’s been established since tower of Nightmares, when you find them stealthed under an illusion.

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

Why were you disgusted exactly?

Let me lay it out for you.

You have condition x, condition x plays a present role in your day to day life, sometimes condition x gets so bad that it stops you living your life the way you want it to, in such a way that it causes grievous amounts of pain. Now, throw in a poorly written story line with horrendous character development, sub-twilight shovel face level, which includes your condition in a ridiculous fashion, almost as if it were a Ha-Ha joke, and tell me if you arn’t offended.

The writing is terrible in the living story. With the way the lesbian relationship/kiss was forced, its not hard pressed to get offended when you have a severe condition that was thrown in like a cutesy little quirk. We’re both for it when game developers include disorders into their games, to make those with those disorders feel included, but when its thrown in in such a poor fashion, its offensive.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

(edited by Sororita.3465)

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

The kiss was forced? You are telling me if somebody you loved was lying there, and you though they were dead (but weren’t) you wouldn’t kiss them and hug them in joy?

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I have anxiety, too. A diagnosed disorder. I get the agonizing, can’t-breathe hiccups, too. It’s bad enough to be debilitating at times and it is certainly painful.

That said? I can’t wrap my head around it being offensive. It was intended to be endearing, clearly. And perhaps a bit funny. And as someone who gets nervous hiccups? I’ll be one of the first to admit that it does, in fact, sound hilarious when you’re trying to say something grave and serious only to be interrupted by your own hiccups.

It was treated like a joke. So awkwardly thrown in and not serious at all. Many of us can not speak when this happens. …How nice you thought it was… ‘cute’… I wonder if my other half thinks it’s cute when I lock up and can’t breathe nor talk… Hmm…

Yes. As character quirks often are. And I’ll have you know, my wife thinks it’s cute, when it’s not cripplingly severe. Even if it is a tell for a fullblown oncoming attack and allows her to react in time. It can be both.

Honestly. I promise Anet isn’t trying to be a bunch of insensitive kittens to disabled people, amputees, and nervous hiccuppers just by featuring people who share the same things in their game and occasionally in a lighthearted fashion.

It’s helpful to be able to laugh at your weaknesses and not take yourself so seriously.

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

The kiss was forced? You are telling me if somebody you loved was lying there, and you though they were dead (but weren’t) you wouldn’t kiss them and hug them in joy?

The missus and I talked about the fact that the main point of my post would be overlooked, seems you proved that correct. The entire story is forced, not just the kiss, its a terrible piece of developer story writing and its offensive when real life disorders are put into such dribble. Of course, like everything else, theres one exception to this terrible story, Taimi.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.