A Guide to Flame & Frost: Retribution

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

Welcome to Flame and Frost: Retribution! You may be wondering what to do and how to get started, so we’ve created a small guide to help keep you on the right track.
“Don’t spoil anything! Just point me where to go!”
You got it! Here’s a spoiler-free mini-guide to our April 30 Living Story release:

• When you log in to Guild Wars 2, you’ll receive a mail updating you on the situation in the Shiverpeaks.
  • The Molten Facility dungeon is available right away, and has no prerequisites for entry.
  • However, in order to gain the achievement for the dungeon, you must first complete Hero’s Aid (Rox and Braham’s Flame and Frost: The Razing content).
  • The boss chests can be earned repeatedly, though the mining nodes found in the dungeon are on a 24-hour cooldown.
  • Sentinel gear is a new stat combination of gear that can be found in Molten Facilities. To craft your own, salvage any sentinel gear you find for their inscriptions and insignias, and mine any ore nodes in the dungeon for rare azurite crystals and orbs.
  • Use the World Event UI to determine which map has a revealed Molten Facility; the Vigil will only be raiding one at a time. These facilities will be marked on the map with a yellow swirl, which is what we use to denote Living Story instances.
  • If you left-click the _Flame and Frost: Retribution _World Event UI, your Living Story achievement panel will open and you’ll be able to browse through all of the Living Story achievements.
  • Hover your mouse over any achievement to learn more about where to go and how to complete it.
  • You may notice an achievement at the top of the Living Story tab titled “Alliance Breaker.” When this achievement is completed, you will receive a reward! Hover your mouse over the treasure chest to view the reward.
  • Be aware that some Living Story achievements have prerequisites and cannot be completed before you accomplish other achievements first.
  • When you venture into Wayfarer Foothills, Diessa Plateau, or any of the major cities, keep an eye out for characters or areas with yellow Living Story icons on your map. Speak to these characters to learn more about how to fight back against the Molten Alliance.
  • Check in with the heralds near the asura gates and next to the entrances of each major city. These non-player characters may have new information for you as well.

Here’s a rough schedule:

• The Molten Facility dungeon will be available until Sunday, May 12^^at 12:00pm Pacific, when the entire Flame and Frost saga will progress to an epilogue. At this point, players will no longer be able to earn achievements associated with the previous chapters of Flame and Frost, nor will they be able to earn the achievement Rage against the War Machine.
  • The Flame and Frost epilogue will be active from Sunday, May 12 at 12:00pm Pacific until Thursday May 16 at 12:00am Pacific the release of the Secret of Southsun on Tuesday May 14. The epilogue will mostly consist of conversations and story elements; there are no exclusive rewards to be given at this time.

For those who need a bit more guidance, keep reading:

• In this update, you cross paths with Rox and Braham once again as you work together with four other players to destroy Molten Weapons Facilities deep under the Shiverpeaks.
  • If you are interested in earning the achievement during your dungeon run, make sure you have completed the Hero’s Aid achievement, found in the Living Story tab of the achievements panel.
  • For more information on the Hero’s Aid achievement, check out this post from last month’s Living Story content: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/flameandfrost/Guide-Flame-and-Frost-The-Razing
  • When you log in to Guild Wars 2, the World Event UI will explain that the Vigil is raiding a Molten Facility in either Wayfarer Foothills or Diessa Plateau.
  • Simply head to whichever area is mentioned, open the map and search for a yellow swirl icon. When you mouse over the icon, it should say “Molten Weapons Facility.” Gather a group of four friends and head inside!

Post-Dungeon Content
Once you have earned the Rage Against the War Machine achievement, you will receive a letter from Braham that explains where he and Rox are heading now. Both of these characters have one final scene for you to watch, after which, you will earn the Avenger of the Dispossessed achievement and title.
Rox’s Final Scene

• Once you have completed the Molten Facility dungeon, travel to the Black Citadel, take the Hero’s Waypoint, and head towards the central structure. Turn right into the entryway by Coloa Stonecrack and you will enter the Citadel Stockades.
  • Once you have entered, head towards Rox and Rytlock and view the scene.
    Braham’s Final Scene
  • Once you have completed the Molten Facility dungeon, travel to Hoelbrak and take the Great Lodge Waypoint.
  • Enter Knut Whitebear’s loft and approach Braham and Knut to view the scene.

A Rallying Flame Achievement

• This achievement can only be earned during the epilogue, which starts on Sunday, May 12^^at 12:00pm Pacific and remains active until Thursday, May 16^^at 12:00am Pacific. You can earn this achievement by interacting with a bonfire in either Lion’s Arch, Hoelbrak, or the Black Citadel.
Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

(edited by Moderator)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Update: You will be able to complete the Secret Contact achievement during the epilogue to make up for the time it was not working previously.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Sonny.1708

Sonny.1708

you guys should give us extended time with the Lost and Found achievement because people were guesting on other servers just to get these items, others found it bugged(including me), and also some weren’t able to turn in the items left in their inventory. I don’t see any harm because you are extending the Secret Contact.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: SpiritualFinesse.2314

SpiritualFinesse.2314

you guys should give us extended time with the Lost and Found achievement because people were guesting on other servers just to get these items, others found it bugged(including me), and also some weren’t able to turn in the items left in their inventory. I don’t see any harm because you are extending the Secret Contact.

Seconded. A real stick in the crawl for those of us who REALLY tried and got 95% of the achievements, along with full-time work and/or school family obligations and the like. Especially considering some of the buggyness and the fact that the Lost and Found was more Higgs-Boson-like ‘find it if you can, but chances are very low’. Severely disappointed.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Tengstedt.9734

Tengstedt.9734

Seconded. A real stick in the crawl for those of us who REALLY tried and got 95% of the achievements, along with full-time work and/or school family obligations and the like. Especially considering some of the buggyness and the fact that the Lost and Found was more Higgs-Boson-like ‘find it if you can, but chances are very low’. Severely disappointed.

Third. I’m also stuck with the lost and found, having lost items on different chars and unable to turn them in the last couple of weeks and some I simply just didn’t find

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Correction: The original given date for the end of the Flame and Frost epilogue was incorrect. The epilogue will actually conclude on Tuesday May 14 with the release of the Secret of Southsun update.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Correction: The original given date for the end of the Flame and Frost epilogue was incorrect. The epilogue will actually conclude on Tuesday May 14 with the release of the Secret of Southsun update.

Yessss! That gives me time to complete! Thank you ANet!

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

Yessss! That gives me time to complete! Thank you ANet!

I think you did not understand what he said.

The end date of the epilogue (bonfire and conversations) in the schedule was incorrect and has now been corrected. You still can’t get any achievements (except the Dead Drop if you already have the decoder)

in Flame and Frost

Sonny.1708

His post was a great example of sarcasm at play. i might be wrong, but thats how i perceived it.

They should give us the remaining time to finish the Lost and Found achievement too, now that the time is shorter then expected. Sadly i will be ignored, just like most of the people that post on this forum.

(edited by Sonny.1708)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

His post was a great example of sarcasm at play. i might be wrong, but thats how i perceived it.

They should give us the remaining time to finish the Lost and Found achievement too, now that the time is shorter then expected. Sadly i will be ignored, just like most of the people that post on this forum.

For how long has the majority of those achievements been around?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in Flame and Frost

Sonny.1708

i understand your point, these achievement has been around for a while. The thing i don’t get is why they are not extending Lost and Found like Secret Contact when clearly there was bugs with that achievement. I was guesting on other servers just to try to find those items and still no luck(demoralized at this point). I felt people shouldn’t go through those extreme measures just to get an achievement. There are a few that manage to finish, but not most.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

i understand your point, these achievement has been around for a while. The thing i don’t get is why they are not extending Lost and Found like Secret Contact when clearly there was bugs with that achievement. I was guesting on other servers just to try to find those items and still no luck(demoralized at this point). I felt people shouldn’t go through those extreme measures just to get an achievement. There are a few that manage to finish, but not most.

How likely is it that people will do the achievements now if they haven’t done them already?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in Flame and Frost

Sonny.1708

Actually it will help a lot of people who started the achievement but wasn’t able to finish. Many people are in the position that i am in if you read the other post on the forum.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

These ‘its unfair because I wait to do everything until the last minute’ posts in each thread are all starting to sound like ‘the dog ate my homework’ …

in Flame and Frost

Sonny.1708

you are absolutely right, but it still doesn’t ignore the fact that they are extending Secret Contact and not Lost and Found because for some people that achievement was buggy.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: GunshyGamer.2076

GunshyGamer.2076

Did my achievements when they first came out for each month. Was one of the first to do the dungeon. Finished early and didn’t procrastinate till the last minute. So yeah, the end date was stated for a while now and you guys missed it. Tough luck. Maybe in the next Living Story arc you’ll do the achievements a bit earlier.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Toggles.1783

Toggles.1783

These ‘I don’t have anything better to do than play a game so no one else should either’ over simplifications are starting to sound like ‘you had all weekend to do your surprise 20 page report with 2 page citations’ ….

I’m not complaining, I finished everything. Just because there was enough time for say you or I doesn’t mean other people were as fortunate or were lazy/procrastinated. Employ a little understanding lest you be met with none when you’re in need of it.

Level 80: Elementalist Engineer Guardian Mesmer Ranger Thief Warrior

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

So yeah, the end date was stated for a while now and you guys missed it. Tough luck. Maybe in the next Living Story arc you’ll do the achievements a bit earlier.

Except for the end date for the finale, which was changed from May 16 to May 14, no earlier than May 13, with most of that day already behind us.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Engels.4058

Engels.4058

Amazing. The previous chapters unfold at the pace of an arthritic sloth with a penchant for procrastination, and then in the two weeks when I happen to be on holiday the final chapter is released and finishes. Thank you Anet.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Amazing. The previous chapters unfold at the pace of an arthritic sloth with a penchant for procrastination, and then in the two weeks when I happen to be on holiday the final chapter is released and finishes. Thank you Anet.

I just want to congratulate you on your creative imagery. And the way you added a little alliteration.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

so wow… the story finally gets interesting after months of following it, my internet goes down in a way that limits me playing the game for a few weeks, it finally gets back and its finished and I’ve missed out? Seriously?

Well done… you made a free to play game that I actually don’t want to play!

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Atrament.2314

Atrament.2314

Everything about your post just confused me.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

I didn’t really follow this event. But when it was pointed out to me that it was on its last day, I could do all of the achievements needed in less than an hour. Includes, 3 refugee items I hadn’t found and returned, something to do with a decoder took me about ten mins, and the dungeon was a walk through. I then did the follow up which took like five mins. I don’t see what the problem is, this has been around for ages right, and was completed with very little effort on the part of the player if they were really that fussed about doing it last minute…

S/F Asuran Elementalist

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Leohan.1096

Leohan.1096

I don’t understand what the big rush is and why they have to troll and make 90% of the player base upset, those who don’t visit the forum. They are just bonfires siting in the cities, your telling me they can not just leave the things there until the 16th like 95% of everyone who read the original front page article thinks they have a chance to obtain it.

Now they give the player base 17 hours notice, that the last achievement is only possible to get from the 12th to 14th, 2 days, instead of 5?

…. and people are defending this?

Building signs on a road lasted a whole month, and now we are being rushed through content and don’t get a chance to complete a 3 month long ordeal because why? To push Southsun down our throats?

Is it so much to ask to just leave the bonfires in the game until the 16th? Who is it hurting? If the cable company or phone company pulled this kind of stuff on me, I’d go after them or switch companies.

There is no way this is a programming issue, any self respecting coder, separates objects and content. Hell that is why there is a buy back system in this game now, because everything is unique, not like that B.L.O.B. database they used for GW1.

Going to hand in my resume to Anet because there is something wrong, when they have to pull the rug underneath us like this.

Guild: Assured Mutual Destruction [ICBM]
World: Isle of Janthir (NA)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

No, they’re defending that it’s silly to expect them to have everything last for as long as it’s convenient for every single player who doesn’t want to do it until the very last possible date. They’re defending that Arenanet doesn’t have an obligation to post in BIG RED LETTERS the end date and that it’s fine to expect them to expect people to get limited time content that has been around for over 3 months done in a timely manner.

I don’t think anyone is defending the bonfire mess up. That was a mess up and unfortunately some people won’t get it because it was a four day window. That wasn’t cool.

However, it’s also not cool to berate Arenanet for having a dungeon up for two weeks that you didn’t do because you decided not to make time for it until the last minute. It’s not cool to tell them that not having lost items, which have been there for months, there until the last two days is unfair.

Cause it’s not. People had the time. They CHOSE not to do it, now they’re getting burned for procrastinating.

However, the bonfire thing, I do agree. It really wasn’t enough time for people who were on travel and couldn’t get to their computers. They probably should have left them open for longer, at least a week.