Lightning Pull.

Lightning Pull.

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Can this skill’s behavior be fixed, or can waypointing in labyrinthe cliffs be free? Currently spending a few gold because of the wonky behavior of this skill just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It sometimes way overshoots the targetted area, and sometimes you hit an invisible wall mid air and rubberband backwards and drop like a stone.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Agent Of Jyggalag.8375

Agent Of Jyggalag.8375

^ So much this. Was very happy when I was able to go back to the cliffs. Was even happier when my aspect skills actually worked! Sigh That didn’t last very long. Now my “light dash” and “light pull” are spazing out all the time. That…..I don’t miss at all and it looks like I’ll have to wait to get my remaining 40 crystals -_- . PS its not my connection. Im running w/ 50 fps and a solid 23 ping.

“To err is human. To blame it on someone else shows management potential.”

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Quite often I find myself rolling along for quite some distance after arriving at the targeted location, which resulted in a lot of deaths so far while going after sky crystals. Occasionally, it even happens at the tethered jump locations where you don’t have to manually aim.

It doesn’t strike me as lag related.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’ve been having the same problem – so far, EVERY time I’ve tried using Lightning Pull, one way or another I’ve overshot, so if I’m aiming for anything smaller then the broad roof of a barn, then I end up sailing or rolling over it.

Had really been hoping that this time around they’d have fixed the bugs with the Zephyrite skills. They’re awesome in concept… but the bugs really are quite offputting. Particularly with the sky crystals, where this sort of thing can make crystals that should be among the easy ones maddeningly frustrating.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: zozrog.8135

zozrog.8135

This map was my favorite thing that has ever been added to the game but right now this is making my blood boil. I’m overshooting every time and can’t make a single lightning pull jump. I don’t think I have ever been this frustrated trying to play a game.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Tip: use a low level alt or roll a brand new one for crystal hunting. The WP cost for a level 2 is negligible.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Mantis.6102

Mantis.6102

There are at least two sky crystals that I will not be able to get until this is fixed. They involve the “automatic” targeted jumps, where you don’t even have the option to place your target. All I can do is press the button and the jump is on rails, so I have no input. But the rails send me past the target and I fall to my death.

The leaps (#1) are bugged too. I have had extreme lag sometimes where the jump won’t happen for as long as 30 seconds after I press 1. Several things can happen when this occurs, sometimes I die right where I am standing, sometimes it flashes to about half into the jump and it’s too late to accurately control where I land, and other times all of my charges disappear, which is great when you have to start all over to get more.

These bugs take something that could be fun and place it squarely in Anger Village, just up the road from Smashed Keyboardville.

[HoD]Accomplished Killer

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I have not, nor have I ever experienced any of these problems with any of the aspects. It might not be them, it might be you. The only thing I’ve experienced is the somewhat inconsistent landing of lightning pull. It often overshoots you, especially if your landing area is much lower than you.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Lightning Pull.

Mantis.6102

I have not, nor have I ever experienced any of these problems with any of the aspects. It might not be them, it might be you. The only thing I’ve experienced is the somewhat inconsistent landing of lightning pull. It often overshoots you, especially if your landing area is much lower than you.

First you say you haven’t experienced any of these bugs, then you describe experiencing the very bug that started this thread.

And if the one I described where it sometimes takes up to 30 seconds(!) for the air leap to happen after i click it is something i am doing wrong, please explain what that might be.

And not to be picky but saying “I have not, nor have I ever” is just weird.

[HoD]Accomplished Killer

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

The only one I really experienced buggy behavior with is lightning pull. The others work fine enough, but lightning… any time you’re using it to cross a gap between platforms you are rolling the dice.

Four options:

1. the spell actually works and you land where your targeting indicator says you were going to land
2. You leap out, and suddenly hit an invisible wall in the air and then drop
3. You end up partly overshooting. You fly out what looks an appropriate distance but your character seems to “bounce” when they land and may fall off the other side of the platform, this without any additional movement caused by you. Happens more often if there’s a vertical object on the platform that you might collide with.
4. You aim for the right area but the spell LAUNCHES you way out. The camera even spazzes out trying to follow your path, and you end up flying twice the intended distance.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There is a fifth option (it can happen even on tethered jumps). The jump can actually be too short – you land a bit before the place you aimed for. It is not the “bounce” glitch where you get reflected from some invisible terrain feature, but seems to be an effect of wrong distance calculation (similar to overshooting).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

WPing within the sanctum should be free regardless, imo, but then again this whole update seems to be designed as a gold sink.

I think the main issue is that lag really, really effects the lightning pull. It was the same with the flower pads in SAB. Some people had no problem with them and some people got rubber-banded from here to the moon.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

First you say you haven’t experienced any of these bugs, then you describe experiencing the very bug that started this thread.

And if the one I described where it sometimes takes up to 30 seconds(!) for the air leap to happen after i click it is something i am doing wrong, please explain what that might be.

It’s called lag. I actually edited in the one thing because I forgot about the one legitimate-ish complaint in the sea of “I have lag and don’t seem to be able to accept that fact.” I think the skill is intended to be somewhat wonky, and that one aspect of it is not a bug.

I have not, nor have I ever experienced any of these other problems because they’re all lag and I don’t get lag in GW2. It’s unfortunate that you do, but stop saying the skill is buggy when the fault is obviously lag and nothing to do with some weird bug.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: manymoo.4791

manymoo.4791

this is definitely not lag. I have experienced the same thing with lightning jump/pull. I have experienced the lightning movement skills in previous labyrinth cliff living story and it is nothing like the current version. The other movement skills are fine and works roughly the same. However, for lightning one always overshoots when pulled or jumped and never lands at the indicated spot. In fact the landing spot is often pretty far away resulting in falling death and having to wp. This is extremely frustrating for something that should have been fun. It would really be appreciated if Anet can look into this weird behaviour on lightning movement skills asap as it is causing alot of frustration to players. Alot of my guildies are complaining and having trouble with the jump even though they try to work around it. thx.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

I find that combining it with assisted leap increases the accuracy of lightning pull (only if you have enough head space / spare charges)

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Naglifar.1684

Naglifar.1684

Why not just remove the WP cost in this zone?

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you’re not good at aiming for the jump, you can also try canceling the skill right before you land. That way you can pull up short.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

The lightning jump is hit or miss for me too but then it was the same for me at last year’s event. The main problem I have is with those three platforms where you jump across heading towards the top end of the map. I have found that targeting the very edge (facing towards my character) and barely on the surface of the platform seems to work for me – well 90% of the time anyway. Thankful for that safety net though I have managed to miss even that on occasion. I just wish we didn’t lose all those aspect skills when we die.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I haven’t had too much trouble with it, EXCEPT at the one where you drop off that crane right near the ship, and edge down, and then have to jump over to a pole and another pole, and then hop back the other way to reach a Master crystal halfway down the cliff? On that part I’ve tried several times and the jump never works out like it looks it will.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’ve only experienced issues with lightning pull in ONE place. It’s near the starting area on some of the dedicated platforms for it, and it almost always overshoots (it’s to get a crystal). But that is the ONLY place I’ve had issues. Every other time I use it it puts me exactly where I was trying to go. So I am wondering if there is something else that has bearing on this and causes issues?

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I had the happy impression that this ability had been noticeably improved, since I’ve only had a few issues with it. While I died quite a few times tagging all those crystals, most deaths were not #3-related, and those that were had nothing to do with overshooting or falling short. It’s sad that other people are apparently not so lucky.

@FlamingFoxx: Those platforms down by the beach were a complete pain for me last time and took me about half a dozen attempts because the auto-pull was so unreliable then. Not a good introduction to the otherwise fun aspect system, that. This time around, I bounced to the crystal without a hitch. Though I still found myself holding my breath every time I had to make an auto-pull because of all the times it used to fail and get me killed. :p

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Erus Keb.8379

Erus Keb.8379

I haven’t had too much trouble with it, EXCEPT at the one where you drop off that crane right near the ship, and edge down, and then have to jump over to a pole and another pole, and then hop back the other way to reach a Master crystal halfway down the cliff? On that part I’ve tried several times and the jump never works out like it looks it will.

Sounds like the path that I took to get to the master. Except, I didn’t use the middle pole. I jumped from the small pole below the crystal that is under the crane right to the pole with the other normal crystal. The lightning pull from there to the master was crazy. Went right through the center where the master crystal is and out the other side. The solution I ended up using was a normal jump (space) down to the master crystal.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

yeah I was having the worst trouble with this on the floating platforms, there’s 2 with a crystal at the end of each.

It’s where the ai automatically changes it from “aim” to “autotarget the pyramid thing”. And no matter what… it would also shoot me way way off.
If I walked back to try and have the aiming option, it would be red/too far, so I couldnt aim.

I ended up just calling out in say chat “mesmer?” to everyone who passed XD. Some lovely mesmers ingame!

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

I was absolutely fuming last night because of the lightning pull bug. Being in South Africa I attributed it to my ping to the EU servers, and that it could have been some weird form of rubber-banding, but the other skills were mostly working just fine. It took me a solid hour to get one Master Sky Crystal that really shouldn’t have been that complicated because the “easy” beginning part involved a lightning pull onto a ledge, jump onto a pole and a lightning pull onto a cliff. 90% of the time I’d either hit an invisible wall, completely overshoot or land and roll for ages to my death. Dropping a portal was pointless because of the height of the fall.

Let’s hope the rest of the Master Crystal collection isn’t as complicated tonight!

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Imposter.1247

Imposter.1247

That last statement couldn’t be more true imo, along with the first statement… As for the “30 years later” super jump, I have only encountered it when I try to either jump too fast after landing or trying to jump when I am all the way up against something. (Something like an in-game object: A fence or wall etc..)

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

This is the worse skill in the game in terms of lag sensitivity…..while it may not “seem” the errors are related to lag, they fully are. Movement skills are always buggy in terms of lag sensitivity and the problem is the EXACT location your character ends up at is altered by very small client / server timing error (lag). Elsewhere in the game, this EXACT location is not absolutely critical (in most cases) and is normally directed toward an enemy target so it’s much less crucial your location be precise. However, if you are jumping toward a bamboo beam that is only a few units wide, EXACTLY where the game positions you on landing IS quite important (and will be WRONG if lag is just enough).

Due to this fact, I FULLY support the removal (or reduction) of the Cliff WP costs….I know it’s a “gold sink” and if you have a good bit of gold, it’s not a big deal, but for new players it can be more than a PitA.

On the other hand, be a bit patient when you fall and use chat to request some help. Unless you are in a VERY remote area (or on an unreachable ledge), some nice player will soon show up to Rez you (and save you the couple of silver to WP). It’s completely up to you if waiting 30 seconds is worth a few silver or not.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Tethered lightning jumps shouldn’t be subject to lag-induced errors, they should just put you in an absolute, server determined position, which is the whole point of the tethered jump.

They are very unreliable though. I experimented with this in a few spots, jumping back and forth between 2 tethers. Making 5 return trips (a complete crystal worth of skill charges), I tend to arrive in slightly different positions every time. That is, if I make a safe landing at all, instead of overshooting or falling short and dieing.

Lightning Pull.

draxynnic.3719

It shouldn’t be subject to lag-induced errors, but it is – the worst experiences I’ve had with tether jumps have mostly been when other latency-related issues have also been in play.

I can’t even begin to guess why, since from our end there’s no reason why it should play a role (you point the reticle at a point, the server should still aim for that point regardless of latency, particularly if you’re jumping from stationary) but that’s the observation.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Sounds like the path that I took to get to the master. Except, I didn’t use the middle pole. I jumped from the small pole below the crystal that is under the crane right to the pole with the other normal crystal. The lightning pull from there to the master was crazy. Went right through the center where the master crystal is and out the other side. The solution I ended up using was a normal jump (space) down to the master crystal.

Actually, I managed to get the normal crystal mostly by luck. I had dropped down there and didn’t have any purple juice left, so I decided to just go for it and use the yellow dash. This just stupid luckily placed me right on the pole with the normal crystal! I’ve tried it a couple times since though and missed the pole completely, and since I didn’t have any purple juice I couldn’t reach the Master crystal that time.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

I had assumed it was a ping issue (like most issues for those not in NA) reading this thread has made me see otherwise.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

stop saying the skill is buggy when the fault is obviously lag and nothing to do with some weird bug.

oh

I have not, nor have I ever experienced any of these problems with any of the aspects. The only thing I’ve experienced is the somewhat inconsistent landing of lightning pull.

huh?

my “light dash” and “light pull” are spazing out all the time. PS its not my connection. Im running w/ 50 fps and a solid 23 ping.

-.-

Its not the lag.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

If you’re not good at aiming for the jump, you can also try canceling the skill right before you land. That way you can pull up short.

That becomes very problematic for people who don’t live close to the servers. The aspect movement skills are a nightmare experience for people with low latency, rubber banding, not actually being where the screen shows you where you are and all that jazz. It was my biggest complaint last year… and well it’s back again this year.

Cancelling the Lightning Pull skill at the right time with latency issues like a shot in the dark. The Sanctum Sprint complaints from last year covered this issue thoroughly and nothing has changed so I don’t think anything will be accomplished this year.

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

That becomes very problematic for people who don’t live close to the servers. The aspect movement skills are a nightmare experience for people with low latency, rubber banding, not actually being where the screen shows you where you are and all that jazz. It was my biggest complaint last year… and well it’s back again this year.

Cancelling the Lightning Pull skill at the right time with latency issues like a shot in the dark. The Sanctum Sprint complaints from last year covered this issue thoroughly and nothing has changed so I don’t think anything will be accomplished this year.

The thing is, you don’t have to cancel the skill if you aim correctly in the first place. The aiming part takes practice. If you aim in one spot, and you end up overshooting, try again with the target a bit lower.

And if you suffer from lag, hitting the right spot only means you won’t fall off. Just be sure to not move for a second after you land, to let the game catch up to where you’re standing.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Lightning Pull.

Mantis.6102

I have not, nor have I ever experienced any of these other problems because they’re all lag and I don’t get lag in GW2. It’s unfortunate that you do, but stop saying the skill is buggy when the fault is obviously lag and nothing to do with some weird bug.

So how does lag cause me to die right where I stand when I activate the skill?

And if it is all caused by lag, and so many people are experiencing it due to matters beyond their control, why do you have an issue with that problem being posted here so that Anet can take some action to remedy it, such as making WPs free in the zone?

I have not, nor have I ever understood the kneejerk contrarians that insist that every single problem in a bugs forum is the fault of the user.

[HoD]Accomplished Killer

Lightning Pull.

Posted by: Erus Keb.8379

Erus Keb.8379

Actually, I managed to get the normal crystal mostly by luck. I had dropped down there and didn’t have any purple juice left, so I decided to just go for it and use the yellow dash. This just stupid luckily placed me right on the pole with the normal crystal! I’ve tried it a couple times since though and missed the pole completely, and since I didn’t have any purple juice I couldn’t reach the Master crystal that time.

As far as getting from the second crystal to the master, I didn’t use any of the aspects (juice). Just a normal jump followed by direction keys.

I wonder what the odds are on using light dash the way you did

Lightning Pull.

draxynnic.3719

@SmoothPenguin: When you’re affected by the bug, all the careful aiming in the world won’t help you.

When Festival of the Four Winds started, there was one crystal I was going for with was a fairly simple tether-jump, in theory. I tried over half a dozen times and overshot every time, even when I was aiming at locations where I should have been significantly falling short of where I was trying to get to. I’m talking about aiming for the supports BELOW a platform and still bouncing over the top of it.

Later, when I tried it at a time when my connection was better behaving, I tried aiming for exactly the same location and made it first time. It’s not a matter of good aiming. However illogical it might be, there’s something that means that if your connection isn’t so good, lightning tether is misaimed, sometimes by a considerable margin.

On the other hand, at least I don’t think I’ve seen the bug where the tether just loses all momentum in mid-jump (even if tethering to a anchor) this year.

Yeah, this is something that makes the crystals that require sun-dashing across a narrow beam incredibly frustrating for me. Not only do you have to aim incredibly carefully in the first place, most of these are set up so that if you dash the full distance you WILL overshoot and fall off at the other end, so it becomes a game of trying to predict when to cancel so the server will get the cancel message at the right time.