fractals leaderboards are a joke

in Fractured

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

Leaderboards
“First come first rank basis – if you are the first to reach a fractal level, you are ranked first for that level.”

Source : http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1rfy2y/fractured_developer_livestream_notes/

This is just stupid, learderboards are supose to keep the game(Fractals) competitve, but this, is just an excuse to reset the player base to lvl 30.

Facepalm.

in Fractured

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Leaderboards that won’t change after setting scores.

Kinda like soloQ leaderboards before decay update. Why am I not surprised.

in Fractured

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

Pointing out the obvious here, you don’t solo Fractals, you’re usually in a team of 5.

How does first come, first served work in this situation?

in Fractured

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Maybe they don’t expect anyone to reach 50?

in Fractured

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I remember they said something like they expected 5% of the playerbase to beat Liadri, but the actual number was closer to like 60%.

If anything, Anet has shown a discouraging incompetence in gauging how “difficult” the player base finds content.

Now this doesn’t mean it can’t happen. They could totally be difficult content which takes groups weeks to figure out. But given their track record, I doubt it.

in Fractured

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

thats the problem in every MMO (WoW FFARR etc), ofc someone will get to 50, hell i bet that tomorrow or wednesday someone will be at 50.

in Fractured

Posted by: Paponzi.1637

Paponzi.1637

closer to like 60%.

Where did this number come from?

in Fractured

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I remember they said something like they expected 5% of the playerbase to beat Liadri, but the actual number was closer to like 60%.

If anything, Anet has shown a discouraging incompetence in gauging how “difficult” the player base finds content.

Now this doesn’t mean it can’t happen. They could totally be difficult content which takes groups weeks to figure out. But given their track record, I doubt it.

However, if they release something difficult enough to take weeks to be completed, they’ll have to endure an incessant, indomitable wave of whining from bad players.

in Fractured

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

closer to like 60%.

There was an informal poll somewhere. Of the people who attempted Liadri, about 60% eventually managed to beat her.

Though I have to toss in a few disclaimers, as my memory isn’t perfect. That 5% maybe thrown out by Josh Foreman and the Clocktower, also, not too sure……

But regardless, there is plenty of evidence of Anet underestimating players. How shocked they were at how fast players got exotics, etc.

in Fractured

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Pointing out the obvious here, you don’t solo Fractals, you’re usually in a team of 5.

How does first come, first served work in this situation?

Whoever starts the instance would be my guess

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in Fractured

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

With the competitive nature of gamers (well, humans in general really) I feel like the leaderboards are just going to have the same few names. Perhaps I’m grossly simplifying it, but there will likely be a small handful of awesome groups that decide they want 50 nonstop, and they are the only names we see on the board.

Maybe I’ll be wrong.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

in Fractured

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

Yea it is a joke, a funny sad one. To be honest, a leaderboard idea on fractals was just stupid to begin with. The way that it’s done just seems kinda lazy too.

in Fractured

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

I’m fairly sure on Liadri success rate being closer to 5% than 60%.
A forum poll would have attracted mainly two kinds of players (and that’s among forum users, which usually aren’t the most casual ones out there), those who beated her and the ones who tried it hard and still failed.
There was A LOT of people that quit after really few tries or didn’t even try at all.

So no, I don’t think ANet is failing on gauging what the playerbase can handle. You’re the one overstimating it, which is depressing btw.
I mean, you just need to log onNightmare Within section and take a look at those countless topics about how insanely hard, even impossible, is to climb the tower for a single player.

in Fractured

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Dedicated players with some free time will get to 50 by Wednesday. Equally skilled players who only have time on thanksgiving will be ranked lower on the leaderboard over the holiday. It will be a totally meaningless metric, and a horrible reason to reset progression.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

in Fractured

Posted by: Celly.5912

Celly.5912

Considering how bad they are at playing their own game that seems like a valid assumption to make.

If I had the time I’d be going for 50 in 1 day as well, but work n stuff

[PunK]
Far Shiverpeaks
twitch.tv/awsmcelly

in Fractured

Posted by: Anen.1742

Anen.1742

closer to like 60%.

There was an informal poll somewhere. Of the people who attempted Liadri, about 60% eventually managed to beat her.

Though I have to toss in a few disclaimers, as my memory isn’t perfect. That 5% maybe thrown out by Josh Foreman and the Clocktower, also, not too sure……

But regardless, there is plenty of evidence of Anet underestimating players. How shocked they were at how fast players got exotics, etc.

78% on the player base think your 60% statistics is made up. You can’t do an informal poll on forums when 88% of the player base doesn’t visit forums.

in Fractured

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Forget the made up numbers, just look at ANet’s reaction history. Always starts with them totting a challenge then being shocked the players master it “quickly”.

A leaderboard of “firsts” makes no sense. All it will show is who has the free time to crunch the levels the fastest. And if there level 39 example of exploding corpses is what they consider hard, it won’t be long.

I’d rather see a time trail board.

in Fractured

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

leaderboard should show time needed per fractal and per level so people can trie to do speedruns and be faster than others

this would be rly cool

all other things are useless and a leaderboard wasted

in Fractured

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

If you aren’t at 30 when the patch hits you already lost out…seems silly.

in Fractured

Posted by: durend.6237

durend.6237

If the bulk of your playtime is on the weekend, you’ve lost out. If you can only play an hour or two each day, you’ve lost out.

Basically if you’re planning on anything other then sitting down to do fractals with a dedicated group for 6+ hours the next couple night you’ve probably lost out.

Title of this thread sums it up perfectly.

in Fractured

Posted by: JMar.3254

JMar.3254

If the bulk of your playtime is on the weekend, you’ve lost out. If you can only play an hour or two each day, you’ve lost out.

Basically if you’re planning on anything other then sitting down to do fractals with a dedicated group for 6+ hours the next couple night you’ve probably lost out.

This leaderboard might as well be :

Time Played in fractals right before thanksgiving (At least for NA leaderboards)

You get nothing! You lose, good day sir!

in Fractured

Posted by: durend.6237

durend.6237

This leaderboard might as well be :

Time Played in fractals right before thanksgiving (At least for NA leaderboards)

OH RIGHT! I forgot, how careless of me.

If you’re traveling for the holidays/going out all night for black friday, you’ve 100% lost out on the leaderboard.

Good catch!

in Fractured

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

There have been a couple posts already about thanksgiving. But yeah, people with lives are screwed.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

in Fractured

JMar.3254

There have been a couple posts already about thanksgiving. But yeah, people with lives are screwed.

I wouldn’t say screwed. It seems like the very high majority don’t care at all about leaderboards.

But yes, if people seemed to actually care, then I agree =)

in Fractured

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I wouldn’t say screwed. It seems like the very high majority don’t care at all about leaderboards.

But yes, if people seemed to actually care, then I agree =)

Right, that’s true. I personally don’t care so it doesn’t matter to me, but still. I’m just waiting for the first 50. I’m wondering if they will be respectable or not haha.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

in Fractured

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

leaderboard should show time needed per fractal and per level so people can trie to do speedruns and be faster than others

this would be rly cool

all other things are useless and a leaderboard wasted

And this is what i expected them to implement.
Or a sort of point-based system, per level, that takes in account various factors like the fractals encountered, time of completition of said fractals, number of characters downed (depending on the fractal) and so on.
Instead, we get a “first”. Disappointing to say the least.

in Fractured

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

i do not care for leaderboards DO NOT TAKE MY LEVEL AWAY !

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

in Fractured

Posted by: Asko.4120

Asko.4120

i do not care for leaderboards DO NOT TAKE MY LEVEL AWAY !

Your concern has been heard.

Immortal Kingdom [KING]

in Fractured

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

You still don’t understand. When Anet is reffering to playerbase, they’re talking about casual players that play 2-3 times a week. By saying “players want this” they don’t mean hardcore players. And I think this update itself show how little they care for the people that play this game the most…

in Fractured

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I have a feeling these leader boards are here more for the same people who want to be the first to complete raids and kitten in other games, aka something that’s more time consuming and more of a “Who has the most free time on their hands!?” sort of thing than a “whose really a good player”.

shrugs if you didn’t care about who the first person to complete raid X in game Y is than i doubt these leader boards are there for you, i know i sure as hell am not going to even bother trying to be the first person to 50, probably won’t get there until they add more levels anyway.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Fractured

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The leaderboards themselves are fine (or at least are as fine as any leaderboards can be for something like this), but the real issue is just that there’s not enough difficulty to prevent this from being a race that’s available to people who are able to be online for the first 24-48 hours of this release.

People have already gotten to level 80 fractals, so I don’t see there being any real difficulty for people to hit level 50.

in Fractured

Romo.3709

People have already gotten to level 80 fractals, so I don’t see there being any real difficulty for people to hit level 50.

I don’t see any real reason for leaderboards to begin with.

in Fractured

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

Considering how bad they are at playing their own game that seems like a valid assumption to make.

Thats because the Devs was not using a faceroll warrior profession for the fractured livestream.

in Fractured

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Thats because the Devs was not using a faceroll warrior profession for the fractured livestream.

Indeed. Instead they used p/p thief without second weapon set and without accessories.

in Fractured

Posted by: Estriella Faerie.4029

Estriella Faerie.4029

What the leaderboard is looking for (highest level done) is good. The problem is this stupid cap. As long as there is such a low cap, leaderboard won’t represent who’s the most skilled players (like it should), but who has the most gametime right after the patch.

And those caps will be there for a long, long time. They already said that when they open fractals for higher levels, they will only open 10 more levels at at time, therefore, there will always be a cap, therefore their leaderboard will be pointless forever…

in Fractured

JMar.3254

Back in my day, we use to call thieves a faceroll profession.

Youngseters these days. Geesh

in Fractured

Posted by: Holy Whirlwind.2067

Holy Whirlwind.2067

closer to like 60%.

I think you are way off. The poll is not reflecting the entire GW2 player base, just those that made it to her and either beat her, or got so frustrated they entered the poll. The majority of the players don’t come to/write in the forums enough to make that a valid poll. There were still a lot of players that could not even get to Liadri….especially after a few patches that fixed some of the previous fights. It is probably a lot closer to 5% than 60%.

The vocal forum public tends to be the die-hard over achievers or people who are having problems.

in Fractured

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

Leaderboards
“First come first rank basis – if you are the first to reach a fractal level, you are ranked first for that level.”

Source : http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1rfy2y/fractured_developer_livestream_notes/

This is just stupid, learderboards are supose to keep the game(Fractals) competitve, but this, is just an excuse to reset the player base to lvl 30.

Facepalm.

You haven’t even seen the implementation yet.

I’m sick of posts like this before people have even seen the content.
You’re basing a flame post on so little information – chill out.

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

in Fractured

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

The holiday doesn’t even matter for reasons posted above. It certainly doesn’t help or add anything to it though.

in Fractured

JMar.3254

Leaderboards

Facepalm.

You haven’t even seen the implementation yet.

I’m sick of posts like this before people have even seen the content.
You’re basing a flame post on so little information – chill out.

What makes you sick?

The developers say that it will be first rank basis and we are upset that it will be first come rank?

Are you sick that most of us don’t care what place we are, we just want good and/or challenging content?

Are you implying we shouldn’t believe what the developers say? If so I might agree with you. If you are implying we are stupid and don’t realize how awesome this is going to be, well then that’s just silly.

in Fractured

Posted by: Irikol.3495

Irikol.3495

What I simply don’t understand in this update is even the NEED (ignore the point of) of/for leader boards in a MMO setting… even more so that these leader boards aren’t even in-game. Who honestly wants to go out of game to check the website for these things? If the game had “World first” progression style content like WoW, I could understand the point.. but this just feels like a feature added simply to say “look what we have!” and then let it be thrown out the proverbial development window.

in Fractured

Dahkeus.8243

What I simply don’t understand in this update is even the NEED (ignore the point of) of/for leader boards in a MMO setting… even more so that these leader boards aren’t even in-game. Who honestly wants to go out of game to check the website for these things? If the game had “World first” progression style content like WoW, I could understand the point.. but this just feels like a feature added simply to say “look what we have!” and then let it be thrown out the proverbial development window.

There is a substantial part of MMO communities that really care about this sort of thing. I mean, you don’t see as much in GW2 as something like the WoW community, but the people who pushed to hit level 80 Fractals will probably be the same people who will want to see if they can hit the top of the Fractals leaderboards.

Most GW2 players probably won’t care that much about leaderboards, but not all patch changes should be geared towards the bulk of the population. Keeping hardcore players interested is often good since they tend to the biggest contributors to things like guides and resources that the more casual players use.

in Fractured

Romo.3709

There is a substantial part of MMO communities that really care about this sort of thing. I mean, you don’t see as much in GW2 as something like the WoW community, but the people who pushed to hit level 80 Fractals will probably be the same people who will want to see if they can hit the top of the Fractals leaderboards.

Most GW2 players probably won’t care that much about leaderboards, but not all patch changes should be geared towards the bulk of the population. Keeping hardcore players interested is often good since they tend to the biggest contributors to things like guides and resources that the more casual players use.

That looks all and nice on the paper. But the reality is quite the opposite. The most hardcore players from fractals do not want the leaderboards to begin with. I’m not gonna get into the whole level reset here. And also that kind of leaderboard is pointless. The second someone hits that level 50, the race to the top spot is over. You hit 50 you’re up there. There is no way to advance past you, there is no competition that you’re speaking of after that. At this point it’s all based on who’s got the most time off once the release starts. Two days later, the race is over, the leaderboards is set and there’s absolutely no reason for them. First Come First Serve basis…
And you’re speaking as if hardcore population is being kept interested. Our progress has been taken away. And everything in this patch is basically geared towards the bulk of the population. Nothing hardcore about it at all.

in Fractured

Dahkeus.8243

That looks all and nice on the paper. But the reality is quite the opposite. The most hardcore players from fractals do not want the leaderboards to begin with. I’m not gonna get into the whole level reset here. And also that kind of leaderboard is pointless. The second someone hits that level 50, the race to the top spot is over. You hit 50 you’re up there. There is no way to advance past you, there is no competition that you’re speaking of after that. At this point it’s all based on who’s got the most time off once the release starts. Two days later, the race is over, the leaderboards is set and there’s absolutely no reason for them. First Come First Serve basis…
And you’re speaking as if hardcore population is being kept interested. Our progress has been taken away. And everything in this patch is basically geared towards the bulk of the population. Nothing hardcore about it at all.

I’m not arguing that the implementation of the leaderboards is right. I’m arguing that the idea of leaderboards is right.

in Fractured

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

Am I the only person who feels leader board’s and the fractal update is a ad hoc system. Almost like there where two team’s working on it one doing mist instability’s and another working on a leader board system.

Then when it become time to do the fractals update. It was to late to thoughtfully integrate the two designs together so they just shove them together in a haphazard way hoping the end result works.

in Fractured

JMar.3254

I’m not arguing that the implementation of the leaderboards is right. I’m arguing that the idea of leaderboards is right.

I do not think that any PvE content needs a leaderboard. I don’t see a point to it and I personally have absolutely no desire to ever check it.

in Fractured

Romo.3709

I do not think that any PvE content needs a leaderboard. I don’t see a point to it and I personally have absolutely no desire to ever check it.

Next thing you know we’ll have “dungeon leaderboards” to show who completed them first. Of course that resulting in wiping everyone’s progress through dungeon paths for the sake of being on equal footing. And of course, first come first served basis

in Fractured

Dahkeus.8243

Cool. Not every ounce of content of every patch is meant to be directed at every single player. If you don’t have any interest in this feel free to ignore it and go about your business. You’re not the target audience.

in Fractured

Posted by: Estriella Faerie.4029

Estriella Faerie.4029

The idea of a leaderboard is right only, and only ! if there is no cap. As Anet has clearly stated that they wanted the content to be caped forever (cap will be increased one day, but still with a new cap), putting a leaderboard is just stupid.

in Fractured

JMar.3254

Cool. Not every ounce of content of every patch is meant to be directed at every single player. If you don’t have any interest in this feel free to ignore it and go about your business. You’re not the target audience.

Should I feel bad for voicing my opinion? I do not.
Most opinions I have read on the forums or talked about with friends align with mine.

The vast majority of content released does not align with me. However this one does, just not the leaderboard.

If I am not supposed to voice my opinion as a paying customer than my apologies.