10 years is not normally a Jubilee

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Caerulei.7159

Caerulei.7159

In Judaism, a jubilee was every 7 years, when all slaves and debts were set free, no matter how much left was owed. 25 year jubilees are an English tradition.

I thought the fiftieth year was the Year of Jubilee. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Actually, you are right. Every 7 years was a Sabbatical year, when loan debts and slaves were released, and every 49-50 years was a Jubilee when all the slaves and ancestral lands were released/returned to their families. Some refer to the Sabbatical as a lesser Jubilee and the 50 years as the great Jubilee, which is what threw me off.

Encharrneer of first Foundation then Chronicles of Tyria.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ShadyNZL.9018

ShadyNZL.9018

Joining Jennah’s Jubiliee justifies jovial jumping, jiving and jazz.

Just joking…

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

In Judaism, a jubilee was every 7 years, when all slaves and debts were set free, no matter how much left was owed. 25 year jubilees are an English tradition.

I thought the fiftieth year was the Year of Jubilee. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Actually, you are right. Every 7 years was a Sabbatical year, when loan debts and slaves were released, and every 49-50 years was a Jubilee when all the slaves and ancestral lands were released/returned to their families. Some refer to the Sabbatical as a lesser Jubilee and the 50 years as the great Jubilee, which is what threw me off.

… that’s great and all, but Judaism, is not a religion that exist in the world of GW, so I don’t see how it could pertain to that.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Unknownhero.6745

Unknownhero.6745

Lol, Websters dictionary?? Oxford dictionary?? I am pretty sure the Divinitys Reach Public Library does not have a copy of either of those books. Its safer to assume The Tyrian Dictionary of the Common Language has its own meaning for “jubilee” :P

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: kossman.8206

kossman.8206

And considering this is the anniversary right after the Charr treaty was ratified, that’d also count as a special anniversary.

Shhhhhh….. your giving out information about the next LS update….

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Joining Jennah’s Jubiliee justifies jovial jumping, jiving and jazz.

Just joking…

Alliterations Ahoy!

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

… that’s great and all, but Judaism, is not a religion that exist in the world of GW, so I don’t see how it could pertain to that.

As Unknownhero noted, Tyria wouldn’t recognize the Webster’s or Oxford dictionaries, either. As this discussion is centered on defending the use of “jubilee” based around RL definitions, Caerulei’s post is perfectly valid.

ANet will have to publish a dictionary in New Krytan for a more lore-centric discussion. :P

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Lol, Websters dictionary?? Oxford dictionary?? I am pretty sure the Divinitys Reach Public Library does not have a copy of either of those books. Its safer to assume The Tyrian Dictionary of the Common Language has its own meaning for “jubilee” :P

Technically, the TDotCL wouldn’t have a definition for “jubilee” at all. They speak New Krytan, and what we see as “jubilee” would be an English translation for the word the characters in game are using.

So if you want to get technical about “jubilee”, you could argue that the New Krytan name for the festival would better be translated “decennial celebration” rather than "jubilee.

In the end, though, jubilee is just one of those words that has evolved over time. It started out meaning the 50 year celebration after seven Sabbath years, but has come to mean a grand celebration.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

These armchair linguists are really rubbing me the wrong way.

“Ain’t” is a proper English word. You can end your sentences with propositions. You can use “Who” and “Whom” interchangeably. You can even use double negatives. Within spoken English, as long as people understand you, it is fine. That is what defines a dialect (or even an idiolect), and there’s nothing wrong with it.

However, if you are writing a formal academic paper on any subject, you probably should comply with the American Academic English standards. Not only must you leave “ain’t” out of your vernacular, you must also remove “can’t”, “don’t”, “won’t”, and other seemingly equivalent options.

(edited by Katai.6240)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

This is a game where a ‘Blunderbuss’ shot is fired from a ‘rifle’ (Engi skill #3) despite only smoothbore weapons being able to fire metal scraps. It is not a game where the real-world meanings of words, or real-world physics, have any particular importance.

TL;DR – just enjoy the content, and have a little private laugh at Arenanet not knowing what a jubilee is

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

As Unknownhero noted, Tyria wouldn’t recognize the Webster’s or Oxford dictionaries, either. As this discussion is centered on defending the use of “jubilee” based around RL definitions, Caerulei’s post is perfectly valid.

ANet will have to publish a dictionary in New Krytan for a more lore-centric discussion. :P

What are you talking about? Anet quoted Webster’s dictionary

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

You are hereby invited to Queen Jenna’s Aluminum Decennial!

No, it doesn’t have the same ring to it.

No aluminum in gw2 sadly. Hardest metal to purify till electrolysis.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

These armchair linguists are really rubbing me the wrong way.

“Ain’t” is a proper English word. You can end your sentences with propositions. You can use “Who” and “Whom” interchangeably. You can even use double negatives. Within spoken English, as long as people understand you, it is fine. That is what defines a dialect (or even an idiolect), and there’s nothing wrong with it.

However, if you are writing a formal academic paper on any subject, you probably should comply with the American Academic English standards. Not only must you leave “ain’t” out of your vernacular, you must also remove “can’t”, “don’t”, “won’t”, and other seemingly equivalent options.

Please don’t say things like this. Personally, I’m greatly disturbed by your implication that using subjective and objective pronouns interchangeably is as acceptable as using contractions. I don’t usually correct people when they say things like, “This is what we thought would be best for her and I,” but I still have to suppress a shudder.

I know English is a living language that changes all the time (see also: “tweet”), and as such a dynamic thing, it’s perfectly acceptable to add new words when old ones aren’t sufficient. I’ll admit that I’ve even ended sentences with prepositions when the alternative felt awkward enough to make me seem pretentious. But that doesn’t mean a language doesn’t have rules that should be followed whenever possible, and when people express themselves like 4-year-olds online, I have a harder time considering their opinions than I would if they were expressed more thoughtfully. Sometimes, the amount of thought and effort invested in the expression of an idea can reveal a great deal about how much consideration the idea itself received.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis