Killed Liadri...Did I Cheat?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I heard the devs saying that anyone who beats Liadri is a “Very good player”. I beat her after much torture till I finally decided to try my mesmer, but feel I did so in a cheesy way.

I had centaur runes with mirror heal and a focus. So perma swiftness. It counteracted cripple. I just spammed phantasms keeping the target locked on Liadri in phase 2 while running my kitten off. I kid you not – I never even saw her in the second part! I was so busy running. I never had to stop.

Phantasms don’t require you to be facing your opponent when you spawn them so I cast them on the run. Randomly I would use feedback on her without really seeing if it had an effect or not. I was too busy running to check.

Also since I’m not doing damage directly, weakness was irrelevant. My phantasms on low cooldowns did that for me.

I never even had to dodge since I made sure to always run into the AoE areas just as they detonated. I had just one job – run. And I did it well. I had blink slotted in my bar, but never used it even once.

My armor was low so I ate mango pie beforehand to keep it up during phase 1. Also reflects kept her auto attacks in check.

So…I want to feel good about killing her and to think I’m a “Very good player”. But after seeing so many people struggle and seeing my own struggles before I finally beat her with a mesmer (still after lots of tries though), my question remains.

Was that kind of…you know…cheating?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

If you had to ask that question, then assume the answer is yes.

You cheated yourself of the challenge.

You did not, however, cheat the game.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Watch this http://youtu.be/KYAjo4ZZXLo and you can feel happy about yourself.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Regarding centaur runes..

if you feel bad about having perma swiftness…a lot of people (including me) used their excess speed boosters

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

What separates good players from bad players is good players find ways to win.

You found a way to win. Kudos.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

{I detect a bit or troll/sarcasm in this post, but anyways..}

I see no issue with your methods – pat yourself on the back for beating her! Sounds like you went through much trial and error to do it – congrats!!

in Queen's Jubilee

bhagwad.4281

I can attest that it’s not as easy as it looks!

in Queen's Jubilee

bhagwad.4281

Regarding centaur runes..

if you feel bad about having perma swiftness…a lot of people (including me) used their excess speed boosters

I wish I’d thought of that before. I have a boatload of those things lying around. Dammit!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Considering the fight itself is full of bugs and cheap gimmicks instead of actual difficulty then I wouldn’t feel bad. Maybe next time Anet will develop an actual difficult and engaging fight.

(edited by Levetty.1279)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Given the artificial difficulty involved, you beat cheapness with cheapness…that’s a fair victory.

Beating a foot soldier by using a tank is unfair, but fighting a tank with another tank seems fair right?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Queen's Jubilee

mtpelion.4562

Given the artificial difficulty involved, you beat cheapness with cheapness…that’s a fair victory.

Beating a foot soldier by using a tank is unfair, but fighting a tank with another tank seems fair right?

Beating a foot soldier by using a tank is smart. Fairness is not a concern when survival is on the line.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

this is the point i whanted to sey some clases are easy and facerool her and some are hard kitten compare to her ballans off the tabble

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Calmwinds.4753

Calmwinds.4753

Agreed.

this is the point i whanted to sey some clases are easy and facerool her and some are hard kitten compare to her ballans off the tabble

Stop the QQ about not having the right class to beat her. It’s all about learning the mechanics.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Is that you? You are a better warrior than 99% of this forum, and might be even higher.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

No you didn’t cheat, although when I play my Mesmer I always feel like I am cheating since everything is pretty much facepalm easy.

Got another question though….being in a party while doing Liadri to use targeting…exploiting?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

I heard the devs saying that anyone who beats Liadri is a “Very good player”. I beat her after much torture till I finally decided to try my mesmer, but feel I did so in a cheesy way.

I had centaur runes with mirror heal and a focus. So perma swiftness. It counteracted cripple. I just spammed phantasms keeping the target locked on Liadri in phase 2 while running my kitten off. I kid you not – I never even saw her in the second part! I was so busy running. I never had to stop.

Phantasms don’t require you to be facing your opponent when you spawn them so I cast them on the run. Randomly I would use feedback on her without really seeing if it had an effect or not. I was too busy running to check.

Also since I’m not doing damage directly, weakness was irrelevant. My phantasms on low cooldowns did that for me.

I never even had to dodge since I made sure to always run into the AoE areas just as they detonated. I had just one job – run. And I did it well. I had blink slotted in my bar, but never used it even once.

My armor was low so I ate mango pie beforehand to keep it up during phase 1. Also reflects kept her auto attacks in check.

So…I want to feel good about killing her and to think I’m a “Very good player”. But after seeing so many people struggle and seeing my own struggles before I finally beat her with a mesmer (still after lots of tries though), my question remains.

Was that kind of…you know…cheating?

No, your only good if u beat her with 8 orb in.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Don’t feel cheating, this is cheat:

Attachments:

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Be proud you beat SNK at their own game.

I feel dumb what are you trying to show?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Good is subjective. What you just described is build wars. Builds win over skill.

If two people are racing around a track and one uses a push bike and another users a motorbike, is the guy using the motorbike better than the guy on the push bike?

It’s the same as the Spider Queen in AC. You can pull her between the gate and the stairs and she won’t use her ranged attack. Her melee attack doesn’t do much damage and the whole party is stacked so they can easily res and buff each other. At this point the fight is essentially auto-attack to win. This same strategy is being used for most dungeon bosses in the game atm. Are these players better than a party that doesn’t exploit flaws in the game design to cheese the content? A party which fights the Spider Queen in the open and has to deal with all of her abilities has to use more skill that a party that simply auto-attacks her to death next to the stairs. Players have figuring out how to break the game by exploiting line of sight AI, ranged AI and the incredibly imbalance of melee crit damage. The fastest way to complete content is actually the easiest way, skill isn’t rewarded by GW2, exploits are.

I don’t have any problem with how the OP did this encounter. Good for them. As far as I can see, they managed all the mechanics of the fight, they just had an optimal method of doing so. Their accomplishment isn’t the same as someone who did it with a far less efficient strategy, but I wouldn’t say they cheated.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: phtotrope.3761

phtotrope.3761

I really don’t understand how you feel that way. In no way did you cheat the game or the challenge. One of the Mesmer’s strengths is to distract the enemy with Illusions. Your strategy was based around that. The fact that you had perma-swiftness isn’t cheating either. I beat her on my Full Mel/Lemongrass/Dogged March Warrior. Her Weakness and Cripple just fell off. Don’t feel bad, you beat her and you deserve it. All you needed was a good strategy.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

the only skill you need in that fight is learning what to do with the light circles which doesn’t matter in the second phase, moving out the Aoe circles since a-net thought murdering you was better than just punishing you. and kiting, i shouldn’t even list kiting because if you got to 80 to do this fight you should know how to kite.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

bhagwad would you mind sharing your build (traits,utilities,weps) ?

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

in Queen's Jubilee

bhagwad.4281

bhagwad would you mind sharing your build (traits,utilities,weps) ?

Full zerker armor with mango pie for regen. As far as I recall, traits included deceptive evasion, 25 in inspiration for 15% additional phantasm damage, 10 in domination for another 15%, focus skill reflects and recharge, pistol recharge and range traits. Those were the important ones.

Utilities I had were feedback, blink and decoy. Mass invisibility for an elite and mirror for healing.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Hint: How many people are supposed to be fighting Liandri at the same time?

Sad part is: Every single “duo” I’ve seen abuse that lost horribly.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

2 Guys in the same arena figthing Liadri at same time. And both, of same guild. I’ve sayed they I would report, and he called me idiot and some other things. Then.. I reported twice, one for cheat, other for agressive verbal abuse.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

You’re using your chosen abilities to their fullest, the same way Liadri is. She’s just so focused with hers, you’d swear she was a machine or something.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

You just robbed yourself the chance to feel like you really accomplished something.

All is vain.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

I’m a mesmer and I didn’t even use centaur runes and I beat her. Once I switched to a phantasm build, and learned the pattern, it was relatively easy. Just keep running during p2 as a mesmer..if you get crippled use focus #4 and then just keep spawning a bunch of phantasms. In the end the phantasms do all the work and you just rely on condition removal and focus #4 to keep kiting.

Once you learn the patter and get a feel for the fight, using a phantasm mesmer with even a tiny bit of condition removal, it’s really quite simple (especially if you trait such that you can spawn phantasms at a really fast rate). Using the centaur runes just made it easier…but the liadri fight was almost built for mesmers to use phantasms (anyone notice she’s kind of a phantasm + focus pull mesmer herself? :P Her phantasms are very powerful, they just have to hit you!)

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Cheating? No. Against a cheap gimmick boss like that, the only way you could cheat is if you had a “Instant Win” button or an unblockable one-hit kill attack that ignores invulnerability.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

2 Guys in the same arena figthing Liadri at same time. And both, of same guild. I’ve sayed they I would report, and he called me idiot and some other things. Then.. I reported twice, one for cheat, other for agressive verbal abuse.

Don’t you just use portal to get the other guy into there? I forget…

@OP: I see nothing wrong with your strategy, I’m just more upset your pets get to work but my ranger ones don’t =(.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Which is why I think that being able to be in a party while entering should be considered an exploit.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

No. You did not cheat. You won legit. A lot of the challenge is to find a build that works and you did it. Congrats.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Which is why I think that being able to be in a party while entering should be considered an exploit.

Being in a party doesn’t magically pull a second person in there…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Proxcel.2596

Proxcel.2596

wow….. never thought this is possible this is pro….. cheating man… lol
I was amazed by it that someone knows the game mechanic that well…

back to main topic… the only thing i call cheating is turn of post effects…
which I did…. but not sure why anet want to punish player that has better computer…
I guess i can’t complain much since we can turn it off… lol

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

No. I actually wasn’t super different, I used speedy kits / invigorating speed for permanent swiftness and vigor, and circlestrafed while tossing grenades. The only difference in our strategies is that your damage came from summoned clones, while mine came from blindly tossed grenades.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in Queen's Jubilee

Wethospu.6437

which I did…. but not sure why anet want to punish player that has better computer…

It really needs the right gear though. One random guy let me play on his account and I couldn’t burst Liadri down. Tried once with Greatsword (first burst) + Rifle and I just ran around the room and never got hit.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

So… is there anything stopping me from starting a portal when I get the “You are up next and will be transported shortly” and opening the other end inside so I can bring an entire guild-zerg in there with me to settle her hash?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

If you set graphics at high and turn on post processing, you can still see the AoE marks through the blind screen if you have good eyes.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

So… is there anything stopping me from starting a portal when I get the “You are up next and will be transported shortly” and opening the other end inside so I can bring an entire guild-zerg in there with me to settle her hash?

Portal doesn’t work. I tried it out of curiosity seeing how sometimes it glitches and more than 1 person end up in the dome.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Considering the fight itself is full of bugs and cheap gimmicks instead of actual difficulty then I wouldn’t feel bad. Maybe next time Anet will develop an actual difficult and engaging fight.

Agreed. large AoE that can one shot+3 slow moving clones that can one shot+ pulls+perma cripple+invulnerability= low hanging fruit. Every attempt to make it difficult the wrong way. Like everyone else I wasted 30 tickets learning the AoE fields and spawns and played according to that, not towards liandri herself.

in Queen's Jubilee

WyldKat.4712

No. You did not cheat. You won legit. A lot of the challenge is to find a build that works and you did it. Congrats.

Very nicely put.

I kind of think that any build could conceivably do the job, if they didn’t have the floor drop out under you time limit.

in Queen's Jubilee

WyldKat.4712

If you set graphics at high and turn on post processing, you can still see the AoE marks through the blind screen if you have good eyes.

No way. I didn’t turn mine off/down the first time in, and after the blind, I couldn’t see anything. Or the AoE marks. I was too busy going AUGH MY EYES PAIN AUGH!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

This could not have been more wrong.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in Queen's Jubilee

mtpelion.4562

This could not have been more wrong.

Your opinion is duly noted and has been filed in the “irrelevant” cabinet under “lacks supporting argument”.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Solar Brink.1490

Solar Brink.1490

Is there anything that gives you trouble in this game?

in Queen's Jubilee

Wethospu.6437

Is there anything that gives you trouble in this game?

Bugged Fast Hands-trait.