Queen's gauntlet

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Strejda Tom.6108

Strejda Tom.6108

If I get this right, it is a solo content. Am I the only one who is afraid that we will not be able to finish this with every class? Difficulty scale of events like this is pretty.. weird. I really should not care because I have warrior and guardian but I do.

Strejda Tom, the last unicorn.
Always remember one thing – your opinion is your opinion not fact.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

It sounds like they’ll have mechanics in place to make it harder for those that want a challenge (the gambit conditions), so I don’t know that the default would necessarily be high difficulty in the first place.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Next

In testing we ensured that every profession can complete the gauntlet.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Jansy.8463

Jansy.8463

Necromancer’s shall have fun with their amazing mobility..

I’ll just make an alt now shall i…

Gold Cape via Hall of Monuments pls…

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fox Soul.4809

Fox Soul.4809

but… you tested it with actual meta? or simply put a random class?

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

but… you tested it with actual meta? or simply put a random class?

Ok, I’m curious if you would be willing to elaborate. His answer to the OP’s question is fairly self explanatory. I have an idea of what you are asking but I want to be sure.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

Is this the usually kind of testing……….like the one that produced the candidate trials tier 4 mayhem we have right now?

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Is this the usually kind of testing……….like the one that produced the candidate trials tier 4 mayhem we have right now?

Let us all hope not because that is the first piece of truly badly tested content in all of GW2.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Uther Deathhand.1570

Let us all hope not because that is the latest piece in a line of truly badly tested content in all of GW2.

Fixed that for you

Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

You know, early on, the devs touted that Ascalonian Catacombs could be finished with almost any team combo and the player base balked at the idea when everyone was dropping like flies in there for the longest time. Later on, it was proven true. I’m just sayin’ because people haven’t figured out how to make a fight work for them doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Although, I’m not sure what the best test for “impossible” is versus “really, really difficult.” It’s entirely possible that level 4 is impossible but the greater likelihood is that it’s just really, really difficult. It’s up to you to whether or not you feel that distinction is significant.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

SynfulChaot.3169

Let us all hope not because that is the first piece of truly badly tested content in all of GW2.

Fixed that for you

No. Not fixed. There have been some mistakes, but none this badly designed. Please don’t put words in my mouth and I won’t do the same to you. Thanks.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Everyone says it’s easy peasy solo, but when I try to do it solo it’s so overwhelming. Eventually I just stop out of anger and frustration. After my fourth attempt trying to do the content solo I gave up trying to complete the Trials. It didn’t need to be this difficult Anet. I like challenge, but not like this.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Uther Deathhand.1570

Fixed that for you

No. Not fixed. There have been some mistakes, but none this badly designed. Please don’t put words in my mouth and I won’t do the same to you. Thanks.

Sorry didn’t mean to be disrespectful but i think that there have been many other times where it felt like we as the general player base where the actual testers of new content not ones playing tested and proven content. Again sorry if what i said was disrespectful, i was joking thinking you were being sarcastic about Anets testing history.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

SynfulChaot.3169

Sorry didn’t mean to be disrespectful but i think that there have been many other times where it felt like we as the general player base where the actual testers of new content not ones playing tested and proven content. Again sorry if what i said was disrespectful, i was joking thinking you were being sarcastic about Anets testing history.

Nah. I’ve not yet seen anything before T4 trials that seems so badly tested and so 100% contrary to the feeling of GW2.

All the other content, even if it was slightly bugged, was still doable by most party composition if the players were skilled. This was the first case where you really must be running glass cannon spec, or near to it, just to complete the content. Meaning if you don’t have a chara geared right, you might be completely SOL. This is the first case where your gearing and spec matters more than your skill. And that’s a bloody shame.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Uther Deathhand.1570

Nah. I’ve not yet seen anything before T4 trials that seems so badly tested and so 100% contrary to the feeling of GW2.

All the other content, even if it was slightly bugged, was still doable by most party composition if the players were skilled. This was the first case where you really must be running glass cannon spec, or near to it, just to complete the content. Meaning if you don’t have a chara geared right, you might be completely SOL. This is the first case where your gearing and spec matters more than your skill. And that’s a bloody shame.

Actually with what you just said i completely agree. Like you said there have been things that got messed up but your right, this content requires you to have a very very specific set of armor/trinkets and even than you have to play in a way that just doesn’t feel right. I have completed it once solo on a full zerker warrior and i think that was mostly cause i got lucky with spawns and such. Also there is no way that you can actually fight the other pirates and complete this.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

Lmao first badly tested thing in gw2 you obviously have never played WvW with all the glitches and such we have

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Anet has clearly stated that T4 Candidate Trial was going to be incredibly difficult, and will require a team with well-thought out builds and great coordination to be rewarded (And by rewarded, I don’t mean beat it. I mean to kill mobs and get loot.) You can toss in a group of 5 zerkers, I guarantee you they won’t succeed unless 1. the group coordinates well and 2. the individual players are skilled. Both specs and skills matter.

Because players have been asking for something really challenging. They delivered. Is incredibly challenging content that forces players to conform to a specific “contrary” to the spirit of GW2? Debatable. However, this shouldn’t prevent them from coming out with something incredibly difficult that really requires careful planning, because there are people who enjoy it. And that’s the whole reason why they had tiered difficulties: difficult content, but with easy modes so everyone can still experience it.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

SynfulChaot.3169

Anet has clearly stated that T4 Candidate Trial was going to be incredibly difficult, and will require a team with well-thought out builds and great coordination to be rewarded (And by rewarded, I don’t mean beat it. I mean to kill mobs and get loot.) You can toss in a group of 5 zerkers, I guarantee you they won’t succeed unless 1. the group coordinates well and 2. the individual players are skilled. Both specs and skills matter.

Because players have been asking for something really challenging. They delivered. Is incredibly challenging content that forces players to conform to a specific “contrary” to the spirit of GW2? Debatable. However, this shouldn’t prevent them from coming out with something incredibly difficult that really requires careful planning, because there are people who enjoy it. And that’s the whole reason why they had tiered difficulties: difficult content, but with easy modes so everyone can still experience it.

Yes, it is supposed to be difficult. The problem is that it requires specific builds and that it is easier to beat solo than grouped. In a game built around groups and social play. The scaling in the instance is insane and just too high.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Yes, it is supposed to be difficult. The problem is that it requires specific builds and that it is easier to beat solo than grouped. In a game built around groups and social play. The scaling in the instance is insane and just too high.

Truly difficult content should require specific builds. Specific builds that work require a great understanding of your class, what the challenges are contained in the content, and lots of strategizing/preparing prior to the content. This is good. This requires players to give a lot of thought into their builds. (In fact, look at some of the speedrun vids of CoF 1 or Lupi. Some of the innovation and thought that goes into those group compositions is truly amazing, such as a recent discovery of using a Ranger in CoF 1 speedruns.)

This arguably goes somewhat against the GW2 philosophy of anything goes, perhaps. But again, that’s why they have 1. tiers of difficulty, so everyone can experience it, 2. truly difficult 5-man experience to really get loot and get rewarded (again, beating it isn’t being rewarded. In this case loot bags for better chance at Aetherized Weapons). People who enjoy difficult content does exist. I’m glad Anet threw them a bone without impacting lesser players as much (i.e. not being able to finish thus not fully experiencing AB or MF)

EDIT: IMO, I feel like one of the biggest negatives of Candidate Trials is its temporary nature. I don’t mind it, but I feel the time-pressure doesn’t allow innovation to achieve its full potential.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

Previous

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Next

To clarify we had both QA and our internal core tests go through the content a whole bunch. The QA team focused on making sure that every profession could complete every boss (there are 12) with a reasonable level of skill and gear. The core testers mostly did what they do best and beat the pants off of the stuff we throw at them and tell us whether or not it was hard enough. I feel its worth mentioning that we would schedule tests for an hour or so and some of them would stay all day trying to beat it. But they were having fun, and that’s whats most important to me.

Queen’s Gauntlet is definitely the more challenging side of the Jubilee. That’s why it has its own achievement category and rewards. There’s even a gambit system wherein you can increase the difficulty for a better reward.

It’s not quite like anything we’ve ever done before. I think some of you are really going to have fun with it.

(edited by AnthonyOrdon.3926)

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

SynfulChaot.3169

Truly difficult content should require specific builds. Specific builds that work require a great understanding of your class, what the challenges are contained in the content, and lots of strategizing/preparing prior to the content. This is good. This requires players to give a lot of thought into their builds. (In fact, look at some of the speedrun vids of CoF 1 or Lupi. Some of the innovation and thought that goes into those group compositions is truly amazing, such as a recent discovery of using a Ranger in CoF 1 speedruns.)

This arguably goes somewhat against the GW2 philosophy of anything goes, perhaps. But again, that’s why they have 1. tiers of difficulty, so everyone can experience it, 2. truly difficult 5-man experience to really get loot and get rewarded (again, beating it isn’t being rewarded. In this case loot bags for better chance at Aetherized Weapons). People who enjoy difficult content does exist. I’m glad Anet threw them a bone without impacting lesser players as much (i.e. not being able to finish thus not fully experiencing AB or MF)

EDIT: IMO, I feel like one of the biggest negatives of Candidate Trials is its temporary nature. I don’t mind it, but I feel the time-pressure doesn’t allow innovation to achieve its full potential.

Builds, yes. Gear, no. Requiring specific gear on temporary content is just bad design. Good that it’s challenging for those that want it. But not everyone has the cash to just up and buy gear for content like this.

I do agree that the biggest negative is the temporary nature but the gear requirement is pretty bad, as is the group scaling.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Anyone know whether Queen’s Gauntlet is temporary or permanent?

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

SynfulChaot.3169

Anyone whether Queen’s Gauntlet is temporary or permanent?

My guess is temporary unless they add it to the mini-game rotation.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Id really like to know this too. It sounds like content that would make sense as permanent. After all it’s not like the arena isnt going to be there after the release (barring catastrophic disasters…).

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Id really like to know this too. It sounds like content that would make sense as permanent. After all it’s not like the arena isnt going to be there after the release (barring catastrophic disasters…).

Like a second Great Collapse lol?

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Demeth.5816

Demeth.5816

Oh please god make it permanent, it seems so great !

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Korval.3751

To clarify we had both QA and our internal core tests go through the content a whole bunch. The QA team focused on making sure that every profession could complete every boss (there are 12) with a reasonable level of skill and gear. The core testers mostly did what they do best and beat the pants off of the stuff we throw at them and tell us whether or not it was hard enough. I feel its worth mentioning that we would schedule tests for an hour or so and some of them would stay all day trying to beat it. But they were having fun, and that’s whats most important to me.

Are your testers league pro gamers? Because if this same group tested T4 we’re in for a world of hurt. :<

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Are your testers league pro gamers? Because if this same group tested T4 we’re in for a world of hurt. :<

Hope that lol

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Xiao Haishou.3691

Xiao Haishou.3691

Necromancer’s shall have fun with their amazing mobility..

I’ll just make an alt now shall i…

I want to know if these bosses have one-hit KO skills. If they are, I’m sure a LOT of necros will have trouble completing it, unless they are spaced few and far in between to allow for dodge to recharge fast enough

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Strejda Tom.6108

Queen’s Gauntlet is definitely the more challenging side of the Jubilee. That’s why it has its own achievement category and rewards. There’s even a gambit system wherein you can increase the difficulty for a better reward.

It’s not quite like anything we’ve ever done before. I think some of you are really going to have fun with it.

Thanks for your answers. I feel little more safe now. Lets see how it will look when the event starts. This reminds me of Arena fights against NPCs in EOTN!

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Korval.3751

Hope that lol

Says the 1% elitist jerk…

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Hope that lol

0.1% lol. Seriusly i want it lol. You have cof and all the game alredy lol.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i am pretty excited for this Gauntlet!DD love this style of a mini-zone/game.
i guess we’ll just have to wait until after the weekend and we’ll get all the details we need.

exciting stuff and looking forward to seeing what else ANet brings!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Its sound very interesting for me. I am looking for something like this since I first time play that heart related arena in Plains of Ashford just after release. Its definetly something what need more attention and expansion in future.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

A "hard mode"? Sweet!

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Hope that lol

You hope the gauntlet can only be done by not playing as it was intended? Ok weird.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Strejda Tom.6108

Hope that lol

You hope the gauntlet can only be done by not playing as it was intended? Ok weird.

I am glad that you know what was intended lol. Because I cant see into developers head so it is good to have some mentalist here.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

The QA team focused on making sure that every profession could complete every boss (there are 12) with a reasonable level of skill and gear.

Please define reasonable, because hard-core Legendary-bedecked players would define it a whole lot different from non-dungeon-dwelling and fresh 80s .. and I suspect there are far more of the latter than the former.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Gauntlet, eh? Will there be food and if so will the food be targetable? I’d hate to shoot the food, especially if I needed it badly.

The table is a fable.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

The QA team focused on making sure that every profession could complete every boss (there are 12) with a reasonable level of skill and gear.

Please define reasonable, because hard-core Legendary-bedecked players would define it a whole lot different from non-dungeon-dwelling and fresh 80s .. and I suspect there are far more of the latter than the former.

Reasonable skill is up for debate, but I’d say reasonable gear (at 80) is a mix of green/rare gear, and <80 a mix of blue/green/rare. I doubt they’d consider full rare/exotic to be reasonable.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

The game is full of easy content so what would be the problem with difficult content once in a while?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Difficult content is nice, but i hope they don’t make it difficult by invulnerable-mechanics, because that definitely makes things hard, but not fun at all.

The molten facility did the bossfight pretty right, it was hard, but no invulnerability, much fun. Not like the Aetherblade and the other 60-70% of bossfights in the dungeons.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’d like to know this as well. If its going to be hard (which it sounds like it is, which is kinda unfortunate), please make it permanent so we can keep at the achievements.

The game is full of easy content so what would be the problem with difficult content once in a while?

Once in a while, yes, but you just got really hard content with t3/4 (which most of us can’t complete now, since we didn’t take advantage of the exploit when it was available).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I am really looking forward to this. It will be something that tests individual skill vs team composition.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ZBeeblebrox.4928

ZBeeblebrox.4928

As long as it’s real difficulty and not artificial difficulty (i.e., the spam of stupidly high-health veterans along the lines of the Candidate Trials), I think you’re right.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ZBeeblebrox.4928

ZBeeblebrox.4928

Once in a while, yes, but you just got really hard content with t3/4 (which most of us can’t complete now, since we didn’t take advantage of the exploit when it was available).

But t3/4 isn’t GOOD hard content. It’s content that is hard because it’s poorly designed. As you said, most people had to complete it by cheesing it and only killing the guys who steal the loot, because the spam of high-health veterans was too overpowered.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

But t3/4 isn’t GOOD hard content. It’s content that is hard because it’s poorly designed. As you said, most people had to complete it by cheesing it and only killing the guys who steal the loot, because the spam of high-health veterans was too overpowered.

True its not good hard content, but its still hard content. I’m gonna have to pay attention and use any “advantages” found in the beginning so I can do it, unlike Candidate trials, which I pushed off thinking I’d be able to do it later (which now I can’t).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Pewintodo.4138

Pewintodo.4138

I’m gonna have to pay attention and use any “advantages” found in the beginning so I can do it, unlike Candidate trials, which I pushed off thinking I’d be able to do it later (which now I can’t).

My thoughts entirely. Sadly I’m away for the first 3 days this is running so by the time I get back they will have responded to the one person who says it’s too easy and doubled the mobs.

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Strejda Tom.6108

True its not good hard content, but its still hard content. I’m gonna have to pay attention and use any “advantages” found in the beginning so I can do it, unlike Candidate trials, which I pushed off thinking I’d be able to do it later (which now I can’t).

To be honest I am really glad that I finished the Trials right after start because I am not sure that I would be able to finish it now..

Queen's gauntlet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Marrond.1385

Marrond.1385

I’m not entirely sure what changes they’ve made for candidate trials you’re talking about but we did it in day 4 or 5 after update. 1 decent guardian was kiting mobs arround south island and other 4 guys were killing plunderers and ocassional vets that spawned right on top of us. Piece of cake actualy.

It’s just impossible to kill all the vets – especialy with crapton of conditions they’re applying – so why even bother?