Sanctum Sprint: exploit or legit tactic

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Is the short cut to the finish line an exploit or a legitimate tactic? Its the one just before the finish line, giving a faster finish time than would be normal taking the obvious route.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Clearly intended, else there wouldn’t be a crystal right there to make it easier and to point it out. It can also be done without it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

If this would count as an exploit this mini game would be full of exploits.

Like Healix said, it is pretty obvious that it is not an exploit.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

There’s shortcuts all over the track, some of them are RNG based, like some of the lightning jump routes only active certain times.

Let’s not forget that there’s a powerup that can take you from 12th to 1st if you get lucky.

So yeah, if players are smart enough to take that last shortcut, take it.

It also screws over people who are sitting at the side of the finish line waiting for their cronie friend to cross and get first place.

I was called on bad sportsmanship for winning a race and not letting someone else win.

I’d like to know when the definition of sportsmanship was let the other team win, because from what I know, that’s called “throwing a fight” or “throwing a game”, and is the exact OPPOSITE of sportsmanship.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: awesomesauce.5980

awesomesauce.5980

It also screws over people who are sitting at the side of the finish line waiting for their cronie friend to cross and get first place.

Promoting something on the argument that it screws over people who are trying to help each other, it’s hard to see how someone considered you a bad sport.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

Intended Shortcut obviously.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Clearly not intended as it gets you behind the finish line. You do not win a race by crossing the finish line from the wrong side anywhere else. Saying it is legit just makes me cringe at the low standards some people have.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Avatara.1042

There’s shortcuts all over the track, some of them are RNG based, like some of the lightning jump routes only active certain times.

Let’s not forget that there’s a powerup that can take you from 12th to 1st if you get lucky.

I was called on bad sportsmanship for winning a race and not letting someone else win.

I’d like to know when the definition of sportsmanship was let the other team win, because from what I know, that’s called “throwing a fight” or “throwing a game”, and is the exact OPPOSITE of sportsmanship.

If you had already gotten first, and this was during the zephyr event, then yes, it was bad sportsmanship on your part.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

It is intended. If it wasn’t intended they would have removed it by now. This has been known and used for a long time now.

Also they mentioned at the blog page for this update that cleverly using and combining the skills could lead to shortcuts.

So I believe they wanted players to find and use this.

Also there are enough of the random annoying shortcut skill items.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Whether it is intended or not, the fact that it has been reported and not fixed suggests that it is not considered an exploit.

I do my best to tell every player in the match about it though, that way it evens the odds for everyone and is an advantage to no one.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Clearly not intended as it gets you behind the finish line. You do not win a race by crossing the finish line from the wrong side anywhere else. Saying it is legit just makes me cringe at the low standards some people have.

Too bad this is still a game and real life rules don’t necessarily apply. If there’s a shortcut and it helps me to win I’ll take it (just as in other games like Mario Kart). The only moment I did not used it was when the Bazaar event was active, got my first place achievement then followed the normal course of the race to let others win it.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Queen's Jubilee

Devildoc.6721

Look guys, throwing a fight or a game is bad sportsmanship. Sportsmanship is all participants competing at their best.

To hand victory over to someone might be “nice”, but it is also insulting/condescending, and poor sportsmanship.

How do you think some world class champion Boxer would feel, if he knew his belt was not earned, but given to him, because his opponent threw the fight and didn’t give it his all?

Poor sportsmanship is not being a graceful winner or loser, being a cheater, not respecting your opponents, and throwing the fight, especially if you get a kickback from it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Look guys, throwing a fight or a game is bad sportsmanship. Sportsmanship is all participants competing at their best.

To hand victory over to someone might be “nice”, but it is also insulting/condescending, and poor sportsmanship.

How do you think some world class champion Boxer would feel, if he knew his belt was not earned, but given to him, because his opponent threw the fight and didn’t give it his all?

Poor sportsmanship is not being a graceful winner or loser, being a cheater, not respecting your opponents, and throwing the fight, especially if you get a kickback from it.

The concept of “sportsmanship” sadly died a very long time ago. Personal honor is meaningless in today’s society, we care about getting away with as much as possible, and the anonymous nature of the internet makes that easier than ever.

As for the boxer example, his only concern is winning. If his opponent took a dive, all that means is that his opponent gave him the belt and the money that goes with it.

Likewise, GW2 players are only concerned with getting the achievement, title, and reward.

Granted, there are a few players who do it for their love of the game, but it will take a while for the reward seekers to work their way out of the system before those types of players can compete with only each other.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Queen's Jubilee

I seriously hope you are joking.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

To me, the way you can weasel your way up through very specific jump boosts up behind the finish line, is what I would consider a map exploit. It is something that was unlikely intended, and something they have been too lazy(?) to patch up. There’s shortcuts in the race, that’s for certain, but this one I really don’t believe is supposed to be there. You’re jumping up behind the finish line, you don’t even need to cross it.

If it’s intended, fine, but I still think it’s a cheap shortcut when you basically just need to move towards the finish line and not even cross it. I’ll happily accept it as something intended if a developer actually pops in a says it is. But I’d like to know why they think it’s a good design to have it like this if so. It feels like cheating.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

in Queen's Jubilee

Devildoc.6721

The concept of “sportsmanship” sadly died a very long time ago. Personal honor is meaningless in today’s society, we care about getting away with as much as possible, and the anonymous nature of the internet makes that easier than ever.

As for the boxer example, his only concern is winning. If his opponent took a dive, all that means is that his opponent gave him the belt and the money that goes with it.

Likewise, GW2 players are only concerned with getting the achievement, title, and reward.

Granted, there are a few players who do it for their love of the game, but it will take a while for the reward seekers to work their way out of the system before those types of players can compete with only each other.

Well, maybe modern boxers, but when I was growing up, it wasn’t just about the money the athletes wanted to be the best at the competition legitimately. All that hard training and practice goes to waste if you’re not competing someone who trained hard and practiced hard and gave it their all. A competitor, a sportsman, doesn’t want to face an opponent who takes a dive, they want to face an opponent who is highly skilled and gives it 100% and they still overcome it.

in Queen's Jubilee

It is a little mini-game inside another game, not some massive sporting event. Letting people get first was for their achievement and title. They only needed it ONCE, yet you did not let them get it. It is you who acted poorly.

I mean seriously, comparing it to professional boxing…are you for real?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

If you had already gotten first, and this was during the zephyr event, then yes, it was bad sportsmanship on your part.

Wrong. Sportsmanship is about being a good loser. If you lose a match/game/race to another more skilled person, you shake their hand, smile, congratulate them and wish them luck. Bad sportsmanship would be spitting on the winner solely because he beat you, or making nasty remarks about him.

Throwing a game is when you purposefully lose so the other team can win.

in Queen's Jubilee

Devildoc.6721

It is a little mini-game inside another game, not some massive sporting event. Letting people get first was for their achievement and title. They only needed it ONCE, yet you did not let them get it. It is you who acted poorly.

I mean seriously, comparing it to professional boxing…are you for real?

The point is the sportsmanship comment, and yes, a game is like a sport, because sports are games, it’s all related and sportsmanship is important in ANY competitive activity, not just major professional sporting events.

A football team only needs to win the superbowl ONCE so thakittens players can wear the superbowl rings and have photos of the team taken with the Vince Lombardi trophy, does that mean a team who’s already won the Superbowl should throw the game in order to be good sportsmen?

What kind of football team wants to have that trophy handed to them? It becomes meaningless.

Achievements or not, these minigames are competitive activities.

If you want to say I was mean or not nice for not letting people win, that’s fine, but to butcher the concept of sportsmanship to claim not throwing a game is poor sportsmanship is just wrong.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Wrong. Sportsmanship is about being a good loser. If you lose a match/game/race to another more skilled person, you shake their hand, smile, congratulate them and wish them luck. Bad sportsmanship would be spitting on the winner solely because he beat you, or making nasty remarks about him.

Throwing a game is when you purposefully lose so the other team can win.

Hmm…. Sportsmanship goes both ways. Winners and losers. Losers have to respect the winner for being better at the game than them, or getting lucky on that round. The winners have to respect the losers even though them lost, because they still made an effort to win.

Losers can be bad sports by swearing at the winners, but winners can be bad sports as well. I’m sure we all have seen at least one of that guy, the elitist snob type, that rubs it in everyone’s face that he won. That’s a sore winner.

in Queen's Jubilee

Feel proud that you beat that 13 year old girl who just wanted her achievement. You did your twisted view of sportsmanship proud.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

I’d say at the very least “unintended”, if only because you end up going the wrong way across the finish line.

It would be nice if a dev would chime in.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Why must so many threads on this forum become philosophical debates on today’s society ?

Like so many things in this game, when you find it you wonder if it’s intended or not. Everyone reports it and it’s not fixed months later.

Then you look at the consequences of cheating/using a shortcut : you might beat someone else…but honestly who cares ? You don’t need to get first to get the achievement. You just need to be in the top three.
The rewards don’t scale based on your rank (maybe number 1 gets 5 copper more than the others ?).
And don’t even tell me than one day you lost your first place because of it. Of all the randomness in Sanctum Sprint (lag, number 3 not working correctly, RNG of power ups), this shouldn’t be your biggest problem.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

To me, the way you can weasel your way up through very specific jump boosts up behind the finish line, is what I would consider a map exploit. It is something that was unlikely intended, and something they have been too lazy(?) to patch up.

It was definitely intended. At this point n the race, there is simply no other use for that jump boost crystal – the only jump you can take is up that cliff.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Queen's Jubilee

Devildoc.6721

If it wasn’t intended, they’d have put a fence up by that cliff, removed the wind crystal, or made it so that if you crossed the finish line from that direction you didn’t win but instead were taken back to the prior checkpoint

If they didn’t intend for there to be “cheats” light travel wouldn’t be in it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Personally, I do consider it cheating because of the issue of arriving on the wrong side of the finish line. If it was a shortcut like any other, one that did not essentially take you off the track, it would not be an issue. So I don’t use it. Well, I did it once, during the Bazaar, but felt so dirty afterwards that I decided not to do it again and earn my achievements properly.

Also, IMO there’s a big difference between people who feel justified in doing anything to win, every time, and those who pull back to help others get their achievement. Both may not compete “as intended”, but one is purely selfish and the other is not. I see nothing wrong with some kindness to another person. Besides, “sportsmanship” to me would also imply a level playing field, which very much does not exist here. Winning against people with slower connections, people from overseas, less experienced players, those with slower reflexes, or those who simply do not have each centimeter of the track memorized is really nothing to brag about.

I really like Sanctum Sprint, but I do wish it had a kind of tier system so it’d be more fair.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

To me, the way you can weasel your way up through very specific jump boosts up behind the finish line, is what I would consider a map exploit. It is something that was unlikely intended, and something they have been too lazy(?) to patch up.

It was definitely intended. At this point n the race, there is simply no other use for that jump boost crystal – the only jump you can take is up that cliff.

That seems silly logic if you ask me. Just because something is there does not mean it’s intended. There’s also a Lightning Powerup there, and that provides absolutely no benefit. I’d really say that whoever designed the race just said “I’ll place all these powerups here at the end in a row”, and did not think about the implications of jumping over the cliff.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: yesfourme.8906

yesfourme.8906

Where did you read anything that say winning = sportsmanship?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I feel it is poor sportsmanship to use the traps to mess up other people. I feel that is saying that you can’t win honestly, so you are sabotaging the other players to make up for your lack of skill.

However, they are in the game so obviously they are supposed to be used. They are obviously “intended” and the game developers I’m sure consider that to be part of the strategy of the game.

My point is, we may have different opinions on what is good and what is bad sportsmanship.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Captain H J Fluffington Jr.9378

Captain H J Fluffington Jr.9378

I watched 2 different Anet employee tags use the ledge shortcut during the original release. Take that for what you will.

in Queen's Jubilee

Devildoc.6721

I feel it is poor sportsmanship to use the traps to mess up other people. I feel that is saying that you can’t win honestly, so you are sabotaging the other players to make up for your lack of skill.

However, they are in the game so obviously they are supposed to be used. They are obviously “intended” and the game developers I’m sure consider that to be part of the strategy of the game.

My point is, we may have different opinions on what is good and what is bad sportsmanship.

Throwing a match and intentionally letting another competitor win has never been considered good sportsmanship in any sport. Though I guess you can expect people who play video games and have never played any sports, who considered PE their least favorite class, and always got picked last for any team game at recess would have a warped view of sportsmanship when they’re doing a competitive activity.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

You have a valid point about real world sportsmanship. But also, you don’t sabotage the other competitor in real life sports. If you are running a race, then you RUN your best race. You don’t put in things that cause the other runner to fall or otherwise interfere with them. In fact you get penalties in games if you do that type thing.

So how does this video game relate to real life sports? I don’t see that it does.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Queen's Jubilee

Devildoc.6721

You have a valid point about real world sportsmanship. But also, you don’t sabotage the other competitor in real life sports. If you are running a race, then you RUN your best race. You don’t put in things that cause the other runner to fall or otherwise interfere with them. In fact you get penalties in games if you do that type thing.

So how does this video game relate to real life sports? I don’t see that it does.

Sports are all still games man. They may not be video games (but lets not forget EA makes a lot of money on sports videogames), but all sports are games, originally done for enjoyment, but they are also competitive activities. Let’s not forget there is a trending increase in the number of “e-sports” played by “cyber-athletes” in which people are competitively playing video games professionally, they have sponsors, and playing competitively is literally their job. US Congress recently passed legislation allowing professional gamers to qualify for the same visas that other professional sports athletes qualify for. It is becoming a bona-fide thing to consider some video games on the same level as professional sports.

We glorify professional athletes because of their skill and physical condition, but when it comes down to it they are grown men and women playing games, they’re just good enough at it that people will pay money just to watch them do it.

Arenanet right now is doing a paid PVP tournament, with sponsored, professional teams, as a side note.

Anyway, sportsmanship applies to ANY competitive game.

As for the fake powerups and hindering other competitors, it all depends on the sport. Do you think Nascar drivers all stay in their own lanes and just see who can gun that accelerator with a heavier foot? No. They use their skill at manuvering their vehicle to block their opponents attempts at passing them. They’re using THEMSELVES as an obstacle that would wreck their opponent’s vehicle (among many others). In football there’s an entire team designed at obstructing their opponent and attempting to hinder them. According to you sacks should be illegal.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

That pretty much seems to be the issue with this mini-game. Personally I think that because it’s a race, the ‘right’ thing to do, is to compete with all your heart, and to use everything at your disposal to try and win. This includes using powerups and shortcuts, including the last one which is obviously intentional since ANet must know about it and haven’t ‘fixed’ it, which would only involve getting rid of those last crystals.

I do have problems with the range of the fake powerup, and the fact it’s the only offensive one that people in first place get, and so they can spam them, but I wouldn’t demand people not use them, because people behind them are still going to be using their powerups, why handicap yourself unfairly? Either everyone stops using powerups (excluding the first three), or no one does, anything in between is just unfair. Infact, I myself find the Light Speed or whatever it’s called, to be much more unfair, but I’m not nagging at people to stop using it.

‘Good Sportsmanship’ is subjective, but I at least don’t consider it hindering yourself when others don’t do the same.