Watchknights are a bit concerning....

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: crawlerette.4217

crawlerette.4217

Yeah, I have to agree that these watchknights are really kind of skeevy. Who sits there and puts a circle on the center of a female-looking robot and says “oh yeah, this totally doesn’t look like I wanted an excuse to put a nipple on a robot chick”. You can make a robot look feminine without resorting to big breasts and a delicately embroidered butt; that just implies that a woman’s only female characteristics are those considered attractive, and it’s really bothersome.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Sometimes a mechanical clockwork robot in a video game is just a mechanical clockwork robot in a video game.

I agree.

IMO, I don’t see the robots as being naked. They are not made of flesh; they don’t have anything to hide. If they did have clothes just for the sake of covering some body parts, it would have been nonsensical – it would be claiming they really were women, not machines.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

These are robots who for some reason have nipple-like constructs on their equally baffling breast-like constructs. If a woman breastfeeding in public is considered indecent, is it really that shocking that people will consider it sexual for a robot to have completely unnecessary boobs which also completely unnecessarily seem naked?

Robots are not people. Robots do not have bare boobs. They’re given bare boobs. Deliberately. By the person who built them. When socially it is generally considered unacceptable in the societies most of us live in for boobs to be bare.

And there is no in-game reason for this, either, since I’ve yet to see a single female human NPC walking around with their breasts bare in a way that implies this is somehow socially acceptable in Krytan society.

@Erasculio: The point is they do not even need those body parts to begin with, yet there they are, for some reason beyond anyone’s comprehension.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

They reminded me of a doctor who episode the price is right one, with the robot with the giant jugs bwahahaha. Doctor who <3

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Never realized this would be an issue. I don’t think it’s an issue, it’s just a chunk of metal shaped somewhat into the form of a human female.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

And there is no in-game reason for this, either, since I’ve yet to see a single female human NPC walking around with their breasts bare in a way that implies this is somehow socially acceptable in Krytan society.

@Erasculio: The point is they do not even need those body parts to begin with, yet there they are, for some reason beyond anyone’s comprehension.

The point is actually that they are part of the design for whatever reason the designer felt was necessary. Because you personally don’t see a reason for them, doesn’t automatically mean they’re bad, or unnecessary.

Here is a thought experiment. In places like Italy, it is not the social norm for women to walk around topless. However, there are thousands of statues, paintings, and other forms of art that depict topless, and fully naked women.

Why do people flock to Italy to look at the art, and not just settle for looking at nudity on the internet? Perhaps, it is because it’s not about the nudity.

Perhaps, it is because some people are able to see the beauty in art. That some people are more interested in the design, craft, and function of an object, than they are about whether it is nude or not.

See, the thing is you seem to be making this a sexual thing. You see “nipples”, a curvy butt, and high heels on a robot and you make it a sexual issue. To me, this is the equivalent of going to Italy and arguing there is no reason why the statues must be naked, and then saying it must be because of some male power fantasy.

I would argue they do have a point. It adds to the aesthetic of the robot. And while I may view it as sexualized, I don’t view it as sexual…meaning I don’t get all funny in the pants because it has pixelated nipples, anymore than I do when looking at art.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

For people arguing about this issue makes me think how they would react in a art museum.

Pineapples

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

For people arguing about this issue makes me think how they would react in a art museum.

An art museum would have a good mix of male and female nudity. I’d like to see Anet give us robots with a prick. If they do that, we’ll call it art.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Agreed with several others here that as a feminist, what annoys me most about them isn’t the nudity but the high heels. If you want to use the image of a stylized nude female as the shell for what is undeniably a formidable, intimidating fighting machine, I don’t really have a problem with that. In fact, I’d say it’s a nice deviation from “male as human default” design norms, and also appropriate considering Jennah is a female ruler. They serve as direct expressions of her explicitly female power and authority. If a male ruler had done this, yes, the message would be very different. But that isn’t the case here.

Furthermore, if you’re going to go that route, and have an artistic representation of the human form, I’m not in favor of censoring certain pieces of it, i.e. nipples. That defeats the whole purpose. Actually they should’ve had vulvas as well, but there’s only so much they can get away with. This is a teen-rated video game, not an art exhibition.

However, high heels aren’t part of the human body, they are shoes. If the rest of the body is going to be naked to act as a representation of the human form, the feet should be as well. By adding that detail, you’ve canceled out the naturalism of the representation and tied it to all the cultural mores surrounding stereotypical femininity.

(edited by Arshay Duskbrow.1306)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

What a wonderful thread! Its worth going to bed and waking up just to see whats new and shiny the next day.

As a man coming up the third anniversary of the start of a separation/divorce, and who hasn’t had a partner since, and refuses to pay for it, I get nothing from looking at Watchknights. Just saying.

Beside, I’m too busy killing them to care what they look like.

How do we know the designer isn’t female? ( I only finished up to p3 )

Very interesting, proceed.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

the Watchknights are totally over the top. i would be more ok with them if there was equal gender representation and/or a valid reason given in the lore as to why i am looking at a naked robot in heels. the heels are gross.

in Queen's Jubilee

Brutalistik.6473

I don’t really care for the line between art and whatever.

If only people actually had more mindsets like that and accept the artwork for what it is. Even if they assume what the artist intentions was whether it is true or not. A lot of these threads won’t occur much.

As for the what type of stupid engineer would make this comment?

Gee I dunno maybe a perverted engineer that loves woman proportions regardless of the engineer gender. If that is what they like then they’ll create it.

Pineapples

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: fizzypop.6458

fizzypop.6458

To me, they’re modelled after Amazonians. Would you prefer if she surrounded herself with hulky half dressed man bots?

They’re not sex bots. They’re dangerous warriors intended to defend the realm. Why is it a bad thing that these defenders were modelled after women? Is Xena a bad example too, should she have been Male?

Amazonians didn’t wear high heels nor did they have such a tiny waist. If anything they’d be far larger, more muscle-y, and definitely be flat footed.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

To me, they’re modelled after Amazonians. Would you prefer if she surrounded herself with hulky half dressed man bots?

They’re not sex bots. They’re dangerous warriors intended to defend the realm. Why is it a bad thing that these defenders were modelled after women? Is Xena a bad example too, should she have been Male?

Amazonians didn’t wear high heels nor did they have such a tiny waist. If anything they’d be far larger, more muscle-y, and definitely be flat footed.

They also physically removed the breast on the side of their dominant arm so as to better their aim in combat. Peter Weller said it so I am inclined to believe it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

male norns are now flocking to DR

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

They also physically removed the breast on the side of their dominant arm so as to better their aim in combat. Peter Weller said it so I am inclined to believe it.

That’s a piece of latter-day folk mythology that was never alluded to or depicted by contemporary Greek writings and artwork.

(edited by Arshay Duskbrow.1306)

in Queen's Jubilee

Elbegast.6970

male norns are now flocking to DR

Stewie Griffin Voice
Oh no, man! Their feet and armpits are gonna thaw out and smell up the whole place! I’m not goin’ in there. That’s gonna take more than Clorox if ya catch my drift.

in Queen's Jubilee

gwawer.9805

well guys just look at the human female models…they all have perfect figures, huge boobs, and nice round butts. just like the fembots

pretty sure anet artists just like to design their females that way.

wtb fat ugly female dwarves

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

well guys just look at the human female models…they all have perfect figures, huge boobs, and nice round butts. just like the fembots

You forgot how every set of armor from light to heavy is a bikini. Yet it doesn’t bother anyone… imagine that.

in Queen's Jubilee

Brutalistik.6473

Nobody got time for ugly products >:(. It is bad for advertisements.

does dwarf female dance

Pineapples

in Queen's Jubilee

Elbegast.6970

in Queen's Jubilee

gwawer.9805

seriously we got ugly battlescarred elderly male humans and norn models. how bout make likewise for the females? i hate playing a female warrior with perfect skin and soft girly attributes.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fluffy Ferocious.9807

Fluffy Ferocious.9807

I would be very concerned if the female characters of this game, and its treatment of females in this game, were limited to sexualized roles. If that were the case, and then you trot out sex-bots… that’s a problem. However….

Females in this game get GREAT treatment. Strong, independent, powerful… not a single damsel in distress. Let’s not forget flawed and vulnerable at times, too. Just like, you know, real humans. Do they look gorgeous, too? Many do. I would argue the male counterparts get fair treatment on the aesthetics front. Let’s not forget that aesthetic norms of gender based clothing are pre-determined by society, and again, if all they had were G-strings for the women, then we’d have a problem.

Sexualization, in my mind, is perfectly acceptable WHEN it is only put forward as one aspect of the gender and seen in context of all aspects of the gender. A woman or man who says “I am strong, I am independent, I am a leader, (fill in many more blanks), and I am sexual,” is just saying they are human. As long as any person isn’t reduced to being nothing more than a sexual stereotype, then we’re heading the right direction.

Because that isn’t the case in this game, considering all treatment of the females in the game, I say no to this being sexualization.

For the record, I had the pleasure of meeting several of the Anet employees who rolled out this game last year, both male and female. Based on my interaction with them, it would shock me to learn that either they would blatantly exploit the representation of women for profit’s sake, or be oblivious to representation of women in general.

in Queen's Jubilee

fizzypop.6458

yep. Personally, I think the watchbots would be cooler if they looked more like what the Greek and Romans imagined Amazons to have appeared. Can we have that? What we have now is boring and they seem to be running amok.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Play charr.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

in Queen's Jubilee

fizzypop.6458

That’s a piece of latter-day folk mythology that was never alluded to or depicted by contemporary Greek writings and artwork.

While this is true. Amazons themselves are Greek myth so kind of artist license issue there.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

The models really arent sexy. Certianly they are a stylised female form but they are frankly too stylised and artsy to be sexy.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

They remind me of Baroque sculptures and I find them very pleasing to the eye. But no, I can’t say they evoke any desire. Guess I’m just not into automatons.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Mustbeghosts.7043

Mustbeghosts.7043

I admit they got a bit of an eyeroll from me the first time I saw them. It does sometimes feel like there is a flowchart in the world that goes: Can you put breasts on it? Yes → Put breasts on it. Even when it is not necessary to do so. There was a lot of similar discussion about the sylvari design, I believe. It can get a bit beleaguering at times, and is always worthy of discussion. Personally, I was satisfied with the reasoning I read in discussions about the sylvari, and have seen many valid points about the feminine form in the case of the watchknights.

I do also just want to remind people that by no means should this discussion be a love all/hate all. You can like that they are feminine in shape and still dislike the degree to which the design takes that shape. Personally, female warrior robots seem awesome to me. I like the idea of a female monarch with an entourage of female robot warriors. I love the female shape. I’ve been rocking one myself for quite awhile. But I do dislike that the female shape being represented is something even Barbie hasn’t even had for several years now. I dislike the heels. I dislike the waistline.

I don’t feel as though they’ve been “sexualized” because there is a very large difference between being sexualized and merely exhibiting secondary sexual characteristics. There is a line there to be crossed but I don’t feel the watchknights cross that line.

I feel, basically, that my initial eyeroll stemmed from a larger issue in society where breasts of a considerable size and waistline of a less-considerable size and a rump of a considerable shape are seemingly shown everywhere people can conceivably put them. When discussing sex and gender representation, there is no such thing as a single occurrence, you have to consider the representation at large. Yes, the feminine body is beautiful in all of its forms, no, ANet is not alone in appreciating it. I very strongly appreciate the beauty of it. Which is why I’d like to see it a bit better treated.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

I’m pretty disturbed by the watchknights in this update.. I find it hard to believe that a Jenna, a confident, powerful female leader would endorse these glorified ‘fem-bots’.

I think it’s one thing for player’s avatars to be able to represent multiple facets of a particular gender (being living, sentient characters there’s an implication of personal choice, which i totally advocate), but an engineered construct that is overtly feminine (they even have high heels!) and overtly sexual (part of the art on their “anatomy” implies nudity) is worrying because they are representations of women with no agency of their own made to obey, whilst being thin, tall and busty, and worst of all silent. They are obedient, objectified women designed to serve.

I think I would less concerned if there was equal gender representation, but I’m yet to see any male watchknights, meaning that it’s a clear choice on the developers behalf. I dunno, I just don’t like it. It’s perhaps a small thing but I think it’s lazy and simplistic, particularly from a game that I think has some very compelling and engaging content that promotes collaboration, community, cooperation, compassion and a real sense of collectivity.

Interested in others thoughts.

I want those Watchknight High Heels on my female toon. That is all.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

I admit they got a bit of an eyeroll from me the first time I saw them. It does sometimes feel like there is a flowchart in the world that goes: Can you put breasts on it? Yes -> Put breasts on it. Even when it is not necessary to do so. There was a lot of similar discussion about the sylvari design, I believe. It can get a bit beleaguering at times, and is always worthy of discussion. Personally, I was satisfied with the reasoning I read in discussions about the sylvari, and have seen many valid points about the feminine form in the case of the watchknights.

I do also just want to remind people that by no means should this discussion be a love all/hate all. You can like that they are feminine in shape and still dislike the degree to which the design takes that shape. Personally, female warrior robots seem awesome to me. I like the idea of a female monarch with an entourage of female robot warriors. I love the female shape. I’ve been rocking one myself for quite awhile. But I do dislike that the female shape being represented is something even Barbie hasn’t even had for several years now. I dislike the heels. I dislike the waistline.

I don’t feel as though they’ve been “sexualized” because there is a very large difference between being sexualized and merely exhibiting secondary sexual characteristics. There is a line there to be crossed but I don’t feel the watchknights cross that line.

I feel, basically, that my initial eyeroll stemmed from a larger issue in society where breasts of a considerable size and waistline of a less-considerable size and a rump of a considerable shape are seemingly shown everywhere people can conceivably put them. When discussing sex and gender representation, there is no such thing as a single occurrence, you have to consider the representation at large. Yes, the feminine body is beautiful in all of its forms, no, ANet is not alone in appreciating it. I very strongly appreciate the beauty of it. Which is why I’d like to see it a bit better treated.

very well said.

in Queen's Jubilee

gwawer.9805

artist who designed watchknight plz show urself post in this thread!!! i want to hear what this guy (or gal? lol) has to say about the issue

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I don’t really buy into the feminism and gameplay arguments, but I don’t find these watchnights to be the least bit tasteful. Additionally, they showcase the lack the of realism in the game’s narrative design. And by realism I’m not referring to the fact that the game isn’t like real life but to how the storytelling isn’t nuanced with respect to its own logic (and I’m beginning to doubt if it even has any).

A good example how the game fails at this occurs within the same patch. The Aetherblades surprise attack amounted to group recklessly sacrificing personnel to. And the death toll? Divinity’s reach: 0 Aetherblades: about 50. They did this during dragon bash too, except they were able to kill one councilman at the cost of a hundred or so men. Unless these guys have hundreds of thousands of stupid/suicidal soldiers at their disposal, their methods aren’t too efficient. And this is just one example. Don’t get me started on the others.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kalathra.3128

Kalathra.3128

There is indeed such a thing as exaggerating the female form to a degree of anatomical impossibility.
The watchknights are by no means the worst offenders of this at all (as I’ve said before, I love their design). However, Giselle Bundchen is a supermodel and she has twice the watchknight’s waist size… (see below)
Also, their pelvises are actually at an angle that over-emphasizes their butts to a degree that is also anatomically impossible. There is a picture out there that illustrates this by taking a 3d model of a woman and gradually photoshopping it back to fit onto a human skeleton. It looked quite different afterwards. Unfortunately, I can’t find it.
(I’m not saying that the design of the watchknights is bad or inappropriate. I am saying that yes, they are sexualized. I personally don’t have a problem with that, although I understand it if other people do.)

I agree they can be taken and stylized to such a degree that it’s an anatomical impossibility. I disagree that the pelvis has been so drastically distorted as you say it has, at least not versus the other character models within this game in particular. That’s why I said comparatively, and – while I admit not clearly stated- I was saying this with mass. Because as I also mentioned in my earlier post, of course they’re not going to be anatomically impossible if they’re essentially bone structure and some metallic mass in chosen areas. I’m aware there is no woman on earth shaped exactly like that, they’d be missing bits, but comparatively, if they had flesh and muscle to fill them out, they wouldn’t look as drastically thin.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find a picture that was exactly the same angle, size, or position, so I’m not at all insinuating this is completely accurate, only roughly so. Regardless, I lined up the hips and waist, since that seems to be the main complaint. The character models, when placed over / under the female human character model, is relatively the same shape. The sizes are different, (I’m under the impression the Watchknights are taller) but the core shape of the hips, legs, and what the waist would be aren’t that extremely distorted from the original human female character models.

Attachments:

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

What is a nipple anyways? How are they a bad thing? If God created them, they can only be good! If evolution created nipples, it just basic anatomy! Since when is sexulzed art bad?

in Queen's Jubilee

Brutalistik.6473

artist who designed watchknight plz show urself post in this thread!!! i want to hear what this guy (or gal? lol) has to say about the issue

There was never an issue to begin with. It became an issue because someone was offended by its anatomy obviously.

Since when is sexulzed art bad?

When certain artwork became acceptable in their eye xD. I see this on every mmo game forum whenever something like this occurs.

Pineapples

(edited by Brutalistik.6473)

in Queen's Jubilee

Onshidesigns.1069

Everyone LOVES female nipples, even straight women. It’s a normal instinct that we all have since when we were babies.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

What is a nipple anyways? How are they a bad thing? If God created them, they can only be good! If evolution created nipples, it just basic anatomy! Since when is sexulzed art bad?

What is a prick anyways? How are they a bad thing? If God created them, they can only be good! If evolution created pricks , it just basic anatomy! Since when is sexulzed art bad?

See what I did there? And it’s not bad. If it’s indeed sexualized, let them admit it instead of pretending it’s consistent with the story or some such other nonsense.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

I don’t really buy into the feminism and gameplay arguments, but I don’t find these watchnights to be the least bit tasteful. Additionally, they showcase the lack the of realism in the game’s narrative design. And by realism I’m not referring to the fact that the game isn’t like real life but to how the storytelling isn’t nuanced with respect to its own logic (and I’m beginning to doubt if it even has any).

A good example how the game fails at this occurs within the same patch. The Aetherblades surprise attack amounted to group recklessly sacrificing personnel to. And the death toll? Divinity’s reach: 0 Aetherblades: about 50. They did this during dragon bash too, except they were able to kill one councilman at the cost of a hundred or so men. Unless these guys have hundreds of thousands of stupid/suicidal soldiers at their disposal, their methods aren’t too efficient. And this is just one example. Don’t get me started on the others.

This more than anything. There could’ve been some better build-up to their mass production than just, well, here they are. There was certainly the backdrop for the automatons in Kryta, but I’m not sure how much suggested larger production capabilities like this.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

in Queen's Jubilee

Onshidesigns.1069

What is a prick anyways? How are they a bad thing? If God created them, they can only be good! If evolution created pricks , it just basic anatomy! Since when is sexulzed art bad?

See what I did there? And it’s not bad. If it’s indeed sexualized, let them admit it instead of pretending it’s consistent with the story or some such other nonsense.

You clearly have no answers to my questions. Because your views are rooted in extreme beliefs that have no place in modern society.

The ideal female and male forms should not be something people should be embarrassed about. It’s represents humanity at it’s best.

Some say not everyone looks that way. I say you don’t know what your spirit looks like after you die.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

I’m mostly upset that they had to have -high heels.-

I mean… really? really?

Wearing high heels means you’re no longer capable? You do realize these robots transform into other creatures to fight ya? But, even if they didn’t what does wearing high heels have to do with their abilities or presence?

Women choose to wear heels all the time, and I don’t think that makes them any less of a women.

Now….lets look at this from another perspective. When you fight, or play sports, you don’t typically stand flat footed. Humans distribute their weight on the balls of their feet so they can quickly move.

That is why soccer cleats have more spikes at the toes, and only a few at the heels. So, from a fighting perspective, these “high heels” aren’t really an issue.

In the end, it’s just a design choice. It’s meant to make them look taller, and more sleek (just like real high heels). I don’t think the intention was to make them some porn-bot with the intention of being someone secretary, and bending over to pick up dropped Skritt bottles.

No no no no no no no no. NO. Until you have worn high heels yourself, you are not allowed to say high heels do not affect ones abilities. Comparing them to soccer cleets? I would pick soccer cleets any day of the week. First, high heels make you very, VERY wobbley. Extremely unstable. Try walking, running, or even going up stairs on your tippy toes. Without killing yourself. That’s on a hard surface. If you step into the grass or dirt, your high heel sinks 100% into the squishy ground and you come tumbling down. Don’t walk over a grate, or an uneven surface. Forget trying to walk on a gravel road too. High heels are notorious for having no grip to them. Don’t stand on something smooth or wet cuz your feet will come right out from under you. Running in high heels? Nope. Forget it. If I were being chased by a dog and all I had on were heels, the heels would get kicked off first and I would go barefoot. Last but not least, they are uncomfortable. I can’t wear them for more than an hour before my feet cramp up and hurt.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

This reminds me of a funny picture.

I personally would not mind some male shaped robot warriors to protect us. They must have abs, a cute booty and strong arms.

Attachments:

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Well I admit I rolled my eyes when I first saw them with the high heels, nipples and using the human fem staff animation which TBH I’ve never much liked. It always looked like posing to me. I kinda wish they’d use the norn one, it has much stronger looking stance. Even still I think there are bit far from human to really be regarded as sexy so I doubt that was the motivation.

But as for the general Idea of them and the fact that they are female. Maybe they were going for the Amazonian thing, maybe it’s a styltitic chocie, maybe it’s because they have a female ruler or they are meant to represent strong woman and they probably don’t want to have to do two models for them. Sure they don’t need to have boobs, they don’t need to be modeled after humans at all but people tend to make things humanoid regardless.

They are not sex bots, they are defenders, warriors and I’m glad there modeled after woman. You say they are engineered with no free will of their own and that’s offensive but then would find it offensive if they were model after men? Would that then be continuing the trope of guys as mindless disposable mooks? It not like this game has much issue with female characters. This is not continuing a trend in the game of female representation lacking agency. Guys are usually the default choice and too often in feels like people subscribe to my brothers mentality of “there is no point in making a female character unless there is a specific reason for them to be female”. “Specific reason” being to titillate, be the LI or DiD.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

This reminds me of a funny picture.

I personally would not mind some male shaped robot warriors to protect us. They must have abs, a cute booty and strong arms.

BWahahahah! Hulk gonewild!

That kitten’s hilarious!

in Queen's Jubilee

fizzypop.6458

Everyone LOVES female nipples, even straight women. It’s a normal instinct that we all have since when we were babies.

lol what? Children naturally lose their ability to suck properly to extract milk from the glands of a breast and discern coloring as well. As far as loving “female” nipples um men have nipples they also have milk producing glands. Babies do not care which nipples they suck male or female. If you pump a man with female hormones he will in fact leak milk or if a man simulates his nipples like a baby would regularly (breast pump, baby suckling, adult suckling) he will also produce milk. Milk production is hormone and simulation driven. It’s also normal for newborn boys to have tiny bits of milk after birth and for weeks following it. Note this can also happen to newborn girls as well.

The only reason women breastfeed and men don’t is because women generally get the flush of hormones to kick start their milk supply (this is due to the placenta detaching from the uterine wall during birth. Some women may not get this and thus have little to no milk supply.), but it’s entirely possible for a man to breastfeed.

in Queen's Jubilee

fizzypop.6458

I’m mostly upset that they had to have -high heels.-

I mean… really? really?

Wearing high heels means you’re no longer capable? You do realize these robots transform into other creatures to fight ya? But, even if they didn’t what does wearing high heels have to do with their abilities or presence?

Women choose to wear heels all the time, and I don’t think that makes them any less of a women.

Now….lets look at this from another perspective. When you fight, or play sports, you don’t typically stand flat footed. Humans distribute their weight on the balls of their feet so they can quickly move.

That is why soccer cleats have more spikes at the toes, and only a few at the heels. So, from a fighting perspective, these “high heels” aren’t really an issue.

In the end, it’s just a design choice. It’s meant to make them look taller, and more sleek (just like real high heels). I don’t think the intention was to make them some porn-bot with the intention of being someone secretary, and bending over to pick up dropped Skritt bottles.

No no no no no no no no. NO. Until you have worn high heels yourself, you are not allowed to say high heels do not affect ones abilities. Comparing them to soccer cleets? I would pick soccer cleets any day of the week. First, high heels make you very, VERY wobbley. Extremely unstable. Try walking, running, or even going up stairs on your tippy toes. Without killing yourself. That’s on a hard surface. If you step into the grass or dirt, your high heel sinks 100% into the squishy ground and you come tumbling down. Don’t walk over a grate, or an uneven surface. Forget trying to walk on a gravel road too. High heels are notorious for having no grip to them. Don’t stand on something smooth or wet cuz your feet will come right out from under you. Running in high heels? Nope. Forget it. If I were being chased by a dog and all I had on were heels, the heels would get kicked off first and I would go barefoot. Last but not least, they are uncomfortable. I can’t wear them for more than an hour before my feet cramp up and hurt.

haha I love this. I can’t believe some people. Running in heels really? They obviously haven’t watched last week’s episode of true blood. Seriously, that’s exactly what it looks like when two women are chasing each other in heels.

in Queen's Jubilee

fizzypop.6458

Well I admit I rolled my eyes when I first saw them with the high heels, nipples and using the fem staff animation which I’ve never liked. It always looked like posing to me, I kinda wish they’d use the norn one, it has much stronger looking stance. Even still I think there are bit far from human to really be regarded as sexy so I doubt that was the motivation.

But as for the general Idea of them and the fact that they are female. Maybe they were going for the Amazonian thing, maybe it’s a styltitic chocie, maybe it’s because they have a female ruler or they are meant to represent strong woman and they probably don’t want to have to do two models for them. Sure they don’t need to have boobs, they don’t need to be modeled after humans at all but people tend to make things humanoid regardless.

They are not sex bots, they are defenders, warriors and I’m glad there modeled after woman. You say they are engineered with no free will of their own and that’s offensive but then would find it offensive if they were model after men? Would that then be continuing the trope of guys as disposable mooks? It not like this game has much issue with female characters. This is not continuing a trend in the game of female representation lacking agency. Guys are usually the default choice and too often in feels like people subscribe to my brothers mentality of “there is no point in making a female character unless there is a specific reason for them to be female”. “Specific reason” being to titillate, be the LI or DiD.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with them being modeled after women. Personally I don’t even care about the sex thing that much. It’s the bigger thing that’s indirectly hinted at all over the place that bugs me. That problem lies in how the women are represented. kitten women are often represented as sexual objects in just about everything. I mean look at comic book superheros. Women who SHOULD be kitten often reduced to support roles with nothing, but a tight barely there costume. It probably wouldn’t bother me so much if there was even a few kitten women who weren’t sexualized. The problem is? There isn’t. Most are exactly what you see (sex objects, nothing more), when I say most I mean like 99%. That’s just way too out of balanced. At least for me there is an easy fix. Something as simple as getting rid of the heels and making the proportions a little more “warrior” like would suffice.

(edited by fizzypop.6458)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

The watchknights remind me of the robot from the classic silent movie ‘Metropolis’ but with more steam-punk crossed with a modernized design.

They remind me of Baroque sculptures and I find them very pleasing to the eye. But no, I can’t say they evoke any desire. Guess I’m just not into automatons.

There is something Baroque about them too. They seem like they were designed to be striking. I was surprised to see normal sized ones, I thought it would be more imposing if they were all bigger than norn.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: adrad.3125

adrad.3125

Some one has theorised this style of representation and named the phenomenon ‘techno scopophilia’. Though the article is mostly focused on post-industrial imagery used in film-based media, much still applies. I recommend anyone with genuine interested on either side of this discuss give this a read.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15295030802684026#preview

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

The first thing I noticed was they have the same standing pose as my female human characters, which has always struck me as weirdly coy. That they’re in heels and topless makes it unnerving so I see where the OP is coming from. I figured they’re meant to represent unnerving female power, maybe pointing toward Anise, or mesmers in general.

Generally they repel me anyway with long skinny legs etc, which I also figure is intended. I find them kind of scary. Or maybe I’ve seen Terminator too many too. Also generally I’m ok if they stop putting nipples on robots, store mannequins, and basically anything without mammaries.