Would Jenna sanction the Queen's Gauntlet?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grumwulf.9602

Grumwulf.9602

It’s a pretty brutal sort of bloodsport when you think about it and I’m not sure if the Queen would sanction something like this. It certainly doesn’t fit the image that I have formed of her.

It seems like the designers came up with a really good mechanic and felt it was too good to say no to. But is it okay to just shrug your shoulder at this sort of thing? Lore, immersion, authenticating details, story, etc? I know its an MMO but it’s also an RPG. RPGs are supposed to care about these details, aren’t they?

EDIT: I mean the dropping to your death aspect when I say brutal and hard to believe, fighting robots is fine of course. I really loved that story, one of the best instanced stories I’ve done in this game so far. But the fail a time limit and drop to your death just seems like a gamey element to me, one thatshoulder shrugs when it comes to the lore. I forgive it though now having had that nicely written instance.

(edited by Grumwulf.9602)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Well the enemy mobs are all robots, and the coliseum is essentially a hero training ground. So I don’t really see it as too out of character.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: cpg.7140

cpg.7140

Well, she didn’t have much problem with the gladiatorial fights in Lion’s Arch (from Edge of Destiny), and this is tame by comparison.

Hobwash
[TAS] – The Asuran Squad
Devona’s Rest

(edited by cpg.7140)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nakaris.6934

Nakaris.6934

It’s a pretty brutal sort of bloodsport when you think about it and I’m not sure if the Queen would sanction something like this. It certainly doesn’t fit the image that I have formed of her.

It seems like the designers came up with a really good mechanic and felt it was too good to say no to. But is it okay to just shrug your shoulder at this sort of thing? Lore, immersion, authenticating details, story, etc? I know its an MMO but it’s also an RPG. RPGs are supposed to care about these details, aren’t they?

You fight against robots no real human beings.
watch the stream http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/2697737 (10:13)
So its no kind of bloodsport ^^

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ForceTurtle.5601

ForceTurtle.5601

Yea, she did approve of the lion’s arch gladiator fights. That’s how Logan became Seraph

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

So the players aren’t alive either? So its fine to drop them to their deaths after 2mins?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grumwulf.9602

Grumwulf.9602

So the players aren’t alive either? So its fine to drop them to their deaths after 2mins?

Yes its the dropping to the death I have a problem with. I think the haywire robot story is really good but this dropping to the death I find hard to believe.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

See, this society takes place in a different universe in a different time. Long ago, in the Roman Empire it was as common to go to the colosseum and watch people get torn apart as it is normal today to go on a concert. Maybe it’s normal to find bloodsport entertaining in Tyria too.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

Yeah, the idea of the event killing off the player after a certain amount of time feels like a design gimmick that they couldn’t account for in another way. This seriously breaks the fourth wall of MMOs if the NPCs know you can just WP back. It begs the question of why haven’t the various NPCs who have died or been captured just WP’ed away? Very similar to how you couldn’t cast “Life” or use Phoenix Downs on dead NPCs in Final Fantasy games.

Not gonna lie… feels a bit sloppy.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Durian.5419

Durian.5419

So, every time your character dies, you delete them and reroll? Because you aren’t dead when you get dropped. You just respawn. Queen Jennah isn’t confused, she knows you can take a six-story fall.

Takkek Twicechosen, bone-collecting ranger of Plague[SICK]