200 gems is $2.50 USD

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I felt the need to post this topic as a neutral ground for clear-headed discussion. There are other threads where tempers and knee-jerk reactions are quickly getting out of control. This is not a post for or against the payment of 200 gems for past episodes This is a post calling for level-headed discussion.

So the Living Story will now come to us in permanently unlockable, permanently replayable episodes. You unlock them for free if you log in during that particular release. Otherwise you have to pay 200 gems to unlock past episodes you missed.

200 gems equates to $2.50 USD. A year’s worth of episodes on a bi-weekly schedule would cost at most $65 USD. This is assuming a Living World episode is released every 2 weeks without break for 52 weeks (26 releases). We know that Anet takes breaks and festival activities don’t count towards this because they are temporary, yet take up the same slots as Living World releases. Realistically a year’s worth of episodes will be significantly less than $65 USD.

On top of this, the stories delivered through each episode will no doubt find their way on to the internet. If someone wanted the backstory, they could find it for free. The only thing you would 100% have to pay your 200 gems for would be access to the rewards. Rewards thus far have been mini-pets, backpiece skins, and special ore nodes. Hardly required content. Hardly pay-to-win. If you want them, you can either get access to them for free by being there on time, or forking over two-and-a-half bucks to support the game.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ugh, I had a nice well thought out response and the darn thing errored. kitten it. Oh well.

I look at it this way: It’s not any different than buying an expansion in chunks, rather than all at once. Of course, if I’m playing regularly anyway, the point is moot because I get it for free.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Mint Rain.6798

Mint Rain.6798

I got an error too. Lame! However, I do agree with the above comments.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

On top of this, the stories delivered through each episode will no doubt find their way on to the internet. If someone wanted the backstory, they could find it for free. The only thing you would 100% have to pay your 200 gems for would be access to the rewards. Rewards thus far have been mini-pets, backpiece skins, and special ore nodes. Hardly required content. Hardly pay-to-win. If you want them, you can either get access to them for free by being there on time, or forking over two-and-a-half bucks to support the game.

Glad to see a level head on this “price-gouging” discussion. (Yeesh.)

It’s very likely the wiki and Living Story wiki map will get updates as time goes on, so even that content will be around for those who missed it.
As for the rewards, you’d normally pay 400-800 gems for some of the relevant decorative content from the gem store. These rewards will be available just like any of the prior meta-achievement bonuses would. Not missing a ruddy thing, there.
Also, this is where some of the challenging content is going to live. Apparently, Season 2 is giving us some of what we want -

Instanced challenges
Permanent content
Achievement-based rewards

for free.

The 200-gem is a minor thorn, if you intend to miss the game for two whole weeks. I do not, and I’m starting to get my hopes up.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I agree as well Xenon. I don’t understand the uproar here. We all don’t need to panic. No one, I repeat, no one, HAS to buy anything to win anything. Relax and eat a cookie.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

Awesome post OP.

Still no pay to win as others have stated so I am happy. How little vacation we get at work anyhow I don’t even see myself being gone for 2 weeks straight…or if i even become so lucky just have my wife/brother/dog log me for 2 seconds.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Xenon.4537

I agree as well Xenon. I don’t understand the uproar here. We all don’t need to panic. No one, I repeat, no one, HAS to buy anything to win anything. Relax and eat a cookie.

I understand the uproar, actually. People always have knee-jerk reactions to even the smallest changes, and this is a pretty huge announcement. I just hope that people consider all the facts and all relevant data before uninstalling and going on a rampage.

This is really no different from someone trying to pick up any other MMO. If you want to play WoW right now for example, you have to purchase all of the previous expansions, even though all of the content from past expansions is dead. The difference here is that in GW2 its just a story with a knick knack reward at the end (mini pet or backpiece skin). It’s not like you are locked out of reaching max level or wearing exotics because you didn’t pay for a past episode.

The “money creep” as someone put it in another thread is disturbing none the less. We have to draw the line somewhere, but where?

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I just hope that people consider all the facts and all relevant data before uninstalling and going on a rampage.

Neeeeever gonna happen. Simply due to basic human instinct – we are naturally adverse to change and both fear and hate the unknown.

As for money creep, I don’t think so (Zudet mentioned it). Assuming LS2 is of significant size, had they stuffed it in a box and sold is as an ‘expension’ rather than labeling it ‘Living Story’ that topic would never have come up. Fear mongering is all that is.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I just hope that people consider all the facts and all relevant data before uninstalling and going on a rampage.

Neeeeever gonna happen. Simply due to basic human instinct – we are naturally adverse to change and both fear and hate the unknown.

As for money creep, I don’t think so (Zudet mentioned it). Assuming LS2 is of significant size, had they stuffed it in a box and sold is as an ‘expension’ rather than labeling it ‘Living Story’ that topic would never have come up. Fear mongering is all that is.

So true. Speculation and hyperbole abound in the forums my friend.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Xenon.4537

I think people are just really afraid like you said. They hate being nickle and dimed. I hate it too. I would rather they have boxed up the entire thing like you said, and just pay my $50-60 bucks or w/e it is. That’s how I was raised on games, so that’s what makes sense to me. I don’t like the idea of money creep, but if I look at exactly what this journal is, I can’t say I’m against it because I log in all the time and even if I went on vacation $2.50 is nothing for me to pick up what I missed.

I think new players 1+ years from now are really the ones being screwed by this, but who’s to say Anet won’t add past episodes to the Digital Deluxe package? I would be surprised if they didn’t. I guess you could say I have mixed feelings.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think people are just really afraid like you said. They hate being nickle and dimed. I hate it too. I would rather they have boxed up the entire thing like you said, and just pay my $50-60 bucks or w/e it is. That’s how I was raised on games, so that’s what makes sense to me. I don’t like the idea of money creep, but if I look at exactly what this journal is, I can’t say I’m against it because I log in all the time and even if I went on vacation $2.50 is nothing for me to pick up what I missed.

I think new players 1+ years from now are really the ones being screwed by this, but who’s to say Anet won’t add past episodes to the Digital Deluxe package? I would be surprised if they didn’t. I guess you could say I have mixed feelings.

I can understand the concern. Like you said, you’re used to the boxed expansion method. This is something different, something new, and we have no idea what to expect. Add on top of that the issues that LS1 had, and it makes for a whole nightmare of potential issues.

But, like I said, if LS2 is sizable (sizeable enough to have been a box) then its no different than purchasing an expansion to someone that joins next year, or the year after that. If they choose to purchase it at all. Someone could pick up Prophecies without picking up Factions and still thoroughly enjoy the game. The same goes for this. A person can pick up GW2, but pass on LS1 and LS2 and still enjoy the game.

For those of us that are here right now, we’re being rewarded for that. We get this stuff free, and if we do miss out on a chapter here or there, like you said, it’s a pittance to pick it up.

At this point, all we can do is wait and see what chapters are going to entail. I’m positive we’ll see at least 1 new zone this season, but no clue beyond that…

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Another way to look at it is this: Many people have repeatedly said Anet’s main focus is on the gem store items that come with each release, because that’s where they get their money.

Now that focus will be on the story too. They have a financial incentive to make the story good. They’ll want new and returning players to be told “OMG you have to get the release where….”

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Xenon.4537

Another way to look at it is this: Many people have repeatedly said Anet’s main focus is on the gem store items that come with each release, because that’s where they get their money.

Now that focus will be on the story too. They have a financial incentive to make the story good. They’ll want new and returning players to be told “OMG you have to get the release where….”

Now that is a perspective I like. Quality content is best incentivised when the creator has to make it and then sell it. For Anet to make money off of this, each episode has to be good enough for new players to purchase it. It has to be good enough for old players (who got it for free) to say “Yeah, that episode was good, you should buy it.” If old players don’t recommend an episode, then Anet makes no money off of it.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

The contents need to be good and rewarding, if the entire season added up to be around 50-60$ it has to be “expansion” type contents. If it’s the same quality as living story 1 then it’s not worth it. LS1 is just bad and boring no offense. There need to be new areas, new classes, whole set of new skills, new pvp mode, and new pvp maps.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The contents need to be good and rewarding, if the entire season added up to be around 50-60$ it has to be “expansion” type contents. If it’s the same quality as living story 1 then it’s not worth it. LS1 is just bad and boring no offense. There need to be new areas, new classes, whole set of new skills, new pvp mode, and new pvp maps.

And that is that. If ANet doesn’t delivery quality content then no one will buy it. New players will likely ask seasoned players and they’d give them a value judgement on the content. So this motivates ANet to produce quality content.
Also I’m hoping they add season together into a discounted bundle, they’d be silly not to.

EDIT: Also it doesn’t seem like ANet will be gating open world PvE content, so these chapters won’t be mandatory purchases to access area A, or get to PvP map B. If this was the case though then I’d be against it since this would force people to have to buy it.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Xenon.4537

And that is that. If ANet doesn’t delivery quality content then no one will buy it. New players will likely ask seasoned players and they’d give them a value judgement on the content. So this motivates ANet to produce quality content.
Also I’m hoping they add season together into a discounted bundle, they’d be silly not to.

This is true only if the new maps, dungeons, classes, races, etc are all locked inside those episodes. Will I have to pay 200 gems to unlock the next fractal path if I miss it? I posted another thread asking this, but no official response yet.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Rauderi.8706

Now that is a perspective I like. Quality content is best incentivised when the creator has to make it and then sell it. For Anet to make money off of this, each episode has to be good enough for new players to purchase it. It has to be good enough for old players (who got it for free) to say “Yeah, that episode was good, you should buy it.” If old players don’t recommend an episode, then Anet makes no money off of it.

And even if the content isn’t so sterling, nothing will sell those old, missed episodes like the words “I want that” out of a reward.

Theoretical example: If the watchwork node were a Living Story reward from a given episode, and you were real keen on getting it, would 200 gems and a little effort be worth a permanent addition to your home instance? I’d say yes.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Xenon.4537

And even if the content isn’t so sterling, nothing will sell those old, missed episodes like the words “I want that” out of a reward.

Theoretical example: If the watchwork node were a Living Story reward from a given episode, and you were real keen on getting it, would 200 gems and a little effort be worth a permanent addition to your home instance? I’d say yes.

Eh I wouldn’t call that watchwork node worth it, personally, but I get the idea. Now the fused gauntlets I would definitely pay to get access, although they already gave me that for free in this latest release (thank you so much Anet!). If the reward is a cool looking backpiece, glove, helmet, w/e skin I’d probably go for it. The jet pack skin… I can dream…

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Rauderi.8706

Eh I wouldn’t call that watchwork node worth it, personally, but I get the idea. Now the fused gauntlets I would definitely pay to get access, although they already gave me that for free in this latest release (thank you so much Anet!). If the reward is a cool looking backpiece, glove, helmet, w/e skin I’d probably go for it. The jet pack skin… I can dream…

Before I made those superior runes of perplexity, I was selling off the extra sprockets. 2-3 silver a piece. Getting 8-10 from a node was pretty hot. Though, might be some confound because I have the pick, too. That pick has earned its cost. Hee.

But yeah, the point is still there. They wouldn’t even have to do like they did with the recent festival and add all the old missable content to vendors. Just plop 200 gems, finish the event, and bam, done.

Many alts; handle it!

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Ake.3014

Ake.3014

Over time I don’t think the price is too bad, but if I were to sign up in a year when it’s all over, I wouldn’t want to pay $50 for the base game and $65 for the ‘expansion’. I would expect Anet to make a package deal at that point, probably around $20 or so. But what a good price is would certainly depend on the level of content. If we had Factions/Nightfall amounts of content I would think $30-$40 could be acceptable. And if it was nothing more than the same amount of instances in season 1, I wouldn’t pay more than $10.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I would wager that there will be specials. Either bundles alone or for sure with the game. Buy GW2 with X gems worth of content for only $Y!

I would not be worried about that part.

Otherwise I’m cautiously optimistic, we have yet to see what we are really talking about that retro-actively would be 200 gems.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The model is unquestionably a vast improvement over the current one, and I don’t at all mind paying reasonable costs for good content. My only “wtf?” notion comes along with the idea that new players will be punished more and more as time goes on relative to older players, which seems very strange from a business perspective.

I’d probably just make some content free for all players and some content paid for all players, depending on scope. But, surely they’ll run bundles and specials for content that ages past a year, so it probably isn’t much of an issue.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Or, you can just In-game get 20 gold and buy it the same way. cheers

you can get 20 gold each 2 weeksplaying 30 min per day. Seriously, where is the problem?

Also, i agree, is pretty much the same than an expansion price and worth. just the difference is we have a choice to not pay for it

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Campalishous.9076

Campalishous.9076

The model is unquestionably a vast improvement over the current one, and I don’t at all mind paying reasonable costs for good content. My only “wtf?” notion comes along with the idea that new players will be punished more and more as time goes on relative to older players, which seems very strange from a business perspective.

I’d probably just make some content free for all players and some content paid for all players, depending on scope. But, surely they’ll run bundles and specials for content that ages past a year, so it probably isn’t much of an issue.

Well the model is no different than MMOs that require past Expacs to be bought in order to get to the latest content. Hell I’d argue this is a hell of a improvement assuming no past LS Season becomes a mandatory requirement to access any newer LS Season because then a new player or returning player could choose to NOT pay for a season of content they didn’t find interesting.

And as you mention ANet will undoubtedly have numerous specials and bundles down the road. Hell I can already see a new player promotion that includes the base game + the latest LS Season for free. There will almost certainly be catch up pack specials or buy the previous season for a heavily discounted price etc…. They could even just let a season become freely available once it is 2-3 seasons behind.

[DIS] Campa Lishous

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

Ugh, I had a nice well thought out response and the darn thing errored. kitten it. Oh well.

I look at it this way: It’s not any different than buying an expansion in chunks, rather than all at once. Of course, if I’m playing regularly anyway, the point is moot because I get it for free.

Not to mention that even if you do join the game later, or if you don’t log in to get your free content as it comes, when you “buy the expansion” through the gem store you’re still only paying for the story instances. New features, such as weapons or playable races, that would traditionally come bundled with expansions, will be presumably available to everyone, for free.

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Ake.3014

Ake.3014

New features, such as weapons or playable races, that would traditionally come bundled with expansions, will be presumably available to everyone, for free.

To be honest with you I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re like how skins were in Season 1, in the gem store piecemeal. It would be nice if they were free though, and I’d certainly appreciate it if they were.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Not to mention that even if you do join the game later, or if you don’t log in to get your free content as it comes, when you “buy the expansion” through the gem store you’re still only paying for the story instances. New features, such as weapons or playable races, that would traditionally come bundled with expansions, will be presumably available to everyone, for free.

This style also solves the issue of population segregation between those that have the expansion and hence access to new classes and new weapons, and those that don’t have the expansion and so have no access to new classes and weapons.

paying for content but not for features is in my opinion the best model, and is exactly what they seem to have come up with.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Let’s hope the Season 2 LS is nice, lengthy, and good.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

So that’s like, $40-60 bucks a year, if it’s gentle.

I hope that includes a loooot of content. Expansion pack levels of content. Because that’s what $60 is; an expansion pack.

Also, something that I’d like to see; smaller transaction sizes available through the gem store. Paying $2.50 is nowhere near as intimidating to your wallet, compared to $10.

Also; will it be possible to gift Living World episodes to other players?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

All this was announced while I was asleep so I’ve been reading about while having breakfast. I think my eyes were close to melting from reading some of the posts…

I think this is a great idea of theirs (in theory) and can’t wait to see how it goes. Purchasing a component that’s been missed for whatever reason, at such a cheap price, really seems to fit this game. Not in a bad way, either.

Also, something that I’d like to see; smaller transaction sizes available through the gem store. Paying $2.50 is nowhere near as intimidating to your wallet, compared to $10.

Also; will it be possible to gift Living World episodes to other players?

Ten bucks worth of gems is four installments worth. I think the beauty of this system is going to be, for people in your position, that the LS installments can be “saved up” if needed so one low tier gem purchase can open up a few missed episodes.

And Colin did mention the gold to gem thing as well, for those who do that. It all seems fairly win/win for many people.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

(edited by zenleto.6179)

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

You’re forgetting one thing !
sub games make you also pay for the expansion even though you’re already paying $180,00 a year for a kitten sub !

1 episode costs $2,50 (2 weeks)
52 weeks /2= 26 episodes x $2,50 = $65,00 (1 year)

a sub costs $15×12=$180,00 (1 year)
plus you’d need to add the $65 dollars for the expansion.

even if it was, which it isn’t by the way I’d be happy to pay the $65

Stop crying !
paying only for the content is a much better model than paying for the kitten right to even play the game while still asking for money for expansions !

what is it that p2p companies always say to justify the sub ?
it’s for future content delivery, now that is a rip off
since whenever they do deliver good content it is labeled an expansion and you still need to fork over $60 dollars for it.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The OP puts it into a nice perspective. It’s not very much different from the old system GW1 used like purchasing the Bonus Mission Pack, or other games with DLC. What’s more, these Living Story steps will most likely come with their own exclusive rewards, so you’re in effect getting unique skins AND playable content, at a much cheaper price than many of the cosmetic skins currently on sale.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Realistically a year’s worth of episodes will be significantly less than $65 USD.

GREAT.

Now look BACK at SEASON 1. Would YOU pay $50 USD for THAT? Knowing that, OTHER than your $50, you would still have to pay for the LOTTERY system in order to get the Black Lion skins, or use A LOT of gold for those?

Meanwhile, why don’t we LOOK back at the ORIGINAL Guild Wars? What did you buy with $50? WHY, a new chapter!!! Including MULTIPLE new maps, MULTIPLE new armor and weapon skins (WITHOUT the need to pay for a lottery system), NEW professions, MULTIPLE new skills, new mechanics, and SO ON and SO ON.

Expect the Season 2 to be WORSE than Season 1. ArenaNet has MONETIZED only the story steps, not the open world content. It’s only logical that they will focus MORE on what gives them money than on what doesn’t, so expect LESS open world content (which, per ArenaNet’s own view, is what makes GW2 the game it is), and more content like the MEDIOCRE personal storyline steps.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Realistically a year’s worth of episodes will be significantly less than $65 USD.

GREAT.

Now look BACK at SEASON 1. Would YOU pay $50 USD for THAT? Knowing that, OTHER than your $50, you would still have to pay for the LOTTERY system in order to get the Black Lion skins, or use A LOT of gold for those?

Meanwhile, why don’t we LOOK back at the ORIGINAL Guild Wars? What did you buy with $50? WHY, a new chapter!!! Including MULTIPLE new maps, MULTIPLE new armor and weapon skins (WITHOUT the need to pay for a lottery system), NEW professions, MULTIPLE new skills, new mechanics, and SO ON and SO ON.

Expect the Season 2 to be WORSE than Season 1. ArenaNet has MONETIZED only the story steps, not the open world content. It’s only logical that they will focus MORE on what gives them money than on what doesn’t, so expect LESS open world content (which, per ArenaNet’s own view, is what makes GW2 the game it is), and more content like the MEDIOCRE personal storyline steps.

So don’t buy it. Problem solved.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

GREAT.

So it’s your choice to not buy it and it’s someone else’s choice to do so.

What is the problem with people having choices? Not everyone feels the same way you do and will enjoy this.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Test.8734

What is the problem with people having choices? Not everyone feels the same way you do and will enjoy this.

Because I’m thinking DEEPER than “OMG so cool” or “OMG so NOT COOL”.

It’s IRRELEVANT if you will buy it or not. It’s irrelevant if YOU like it or not. REGARDLESS, this will have a huge impact on the game: it will drive ArenaNet from making more OPEN WORLD content, which is actually something in which GW2 has been VERY slowly improving, to focus on STORY steps. It will ALSO make it less likely that ArenaNet will make a REAL expansion, instead of selling bit-sized content and lottery tickets for weapons.

Are you telling me I can CHOOSE to play the open world CONTENT that ArenaNet will NOT make and/or polish because they’re focusing on the content that gives them MONEY, aka the story steps? That I can CHOOSE to buy the EXPANSION that ArenaNet will NOT make because they’re trying to get money from those story steps?

NO?

So, YEAH. Less talk about so-called “choices”, PLZ.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Calys Teneb.7015

You’re speculating in a vacuum, not thinking deeper.

Edit: I’ll delete this since I reposted it already.

(edited by Calys Teneb.7015)

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Test.8734

The fact you CANNOT provide COUNTER arguments to my own shows where the VACCUUM is

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Calys Teneb.7015

The fact you CANNOT provide COUNTER arguments to my own shows where the VACCUUM is

I just edited my post before your quote.

The Living Story will be free for the first time that it’s released. That means each release nets Anet a grand total of zero dollars. If it’s not acceptible at the time, there will be no word of mouth to entice players to purchase it when/if they miss it, therefore continuing to net Anet a total of almost nothing. For this model to be successful, it has to be upfront advertising to raise interest and have enough “Oh wow!” factor for players to go “Hey, this was a really cool release. I should go back and check it out since I missed it.”

The best advertising is memorable open world events, as they are exposed to a large amount of people.

Moreover, it allows players to pick and choose what releases they want to try if they miss one. Anet could track which ones were most popular and why and tailor their future releases to that style. It may be that open world events aren’t perfectly recreatable to the experience at the time, but this solves a very important problem.

If the open world events are worth logging in for, then they will make players who value the "be there " factor of the Living Story feel like they have an experience that was worth being there for, while players who missed it will still have enough value to go back and replay and will be anticipating the next open world event. As someone in another thread said, this solves the problem of people at the release wanting to feel special while people who miss the release don’t feel excluded.

(edited by Calys Teneb.7015)

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Its only an issue for those of you make it such. Every update/patch/new items in the gem store and the forums erupt with people crying “this is going to break the game!!!!” Then a month goes by and all is well and the game is doing better then ever. Yeah so, Anet and NCSoft are trying to increase profits. And this is bad because….? They are a business, that’s what businesses do. Its not going to cause the open world content to suffer, its not going to cause story steps to suffer. People will pay for what they want to play and have a good time and not think twice about it. People will still claim the sky is falling, but the game will continue and will thrive. For those who dont like it, maybe you should consider moving on?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It’s IRRELEVANT if you will buy it or not. It’s irrelevant if YOU like it or not. REGARDLESS, this will have a huge impact on the game: it will drive ArenaNet from making more OPEN WORLD content, which is actually something in which GW2 has been VERY slowly improving, to focus on STORY steps. It will ALSO make it less likely that ArenaNet will make a REAL expansion, instead of selling bit-sized content and lottery tickets for weapons.

Are you telling me I can CHOOSE to play the open world CONTENT that ArenaNet will NOT make and/or polish because they’re focusing on the content that gives them MONEY, aka the story steps? That I can CHOOSE to buy the EXPANSION that ArenaNet will NOT make because they’re trying to get money from those story steps?

NO?

How do you know they won’t be making any more open world content? What have you heard?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

just login during the 2-week episode , you won’t have to pay anything… and you’ll get an expansion worth of content, for free… you don’t even have to play the content, just login….

i really don’t understand the noise about having to pay etc etc…. zzzzzzzzzzz

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

I felt the need to post this topic as a neutral ground for clear-headed discussion. There are other threads where tempers and knee-jerk reactions are quickly getting out of control. This is not a post for or against the payment of 200 gems for past episodes This is a post calling for level-headed discussion.

So the Living Story will now come to us in permanently unlockable, permanently replayable episodes. You unlock them for free if you log in during that particular release. Otherwise you have to pay 200 gems to unlock past episodes you missed.

200 gems equates to $2.50 USD. A year’s worth of episodes on a bi-weekly schedule would cost at most $65 USD. This is assuming a Living World episode is released every 2 weeks without break for 52 weeks (26 releases). We know that Anet takes breaks and festival activities don’t count towards this because they are temporary, yet take up the same slots as Living World releases. Realistically a year’s worth of episodes will be significantly less than $65 USD.

Thank you for being level-headed about this. I feel that this price is more than reasonable, especially when its offered for free if you simply log in.

As a Guild Wars 2 player, I will have to pay for Guild Wars 1 and all the expansions to play and explore all the story and content and to unlock HoM rewards in Guild Wars 2. I feel that it is not at all unreasonable for future Guild Wars 2 players to buy the game and have access to the main personal story line, the entire open world and every dungeon, and basically everything that came with the game (and more) as those people who purchased it at launch, but have the option to pay for access to the story/rewards/achievements of specific episodes that they missed.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

New players will likely ask seasoned players and they’d give them a value judgement on the content. So this motivates ANet to produce quality content.

I think that pretty much nails it.

People who play the content will get it for free and are then in a position to comment if its worth 200gems for those that come later.

In any event I’d like to applaud the majority of posters in this thread for their maturity and keeping a healthy perspective.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Your POSTS remind ME of A roller COASTER.

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

this.

i play regularly…..the cost is a moot point for me.

but if i didn’t, i like the fact that i would be able to pick and choose content that appealed to me , instead of having to pay for a full expansion price and getting come content i don’t care for.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

NO?

you haven’t proven your main point…..just speculated that open world events won’t be tied to the journal, and thus not developed/implemented as much as before.

you assume that the current personal story is what the new living story will be, but discount the new megaserver system as a way of making pseudo-large-scale instances.

you may end up right, but you can’t know at this point.
making your argument is nothing more that a guess and a hope that later you can tell everyone “i told you so”…..if you are wrong, who cares because we all got a better game.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: RavenRecoil.6103

RavenRecoil.6103

I love this change to the living story. I simply log on and unlock it for free. I am happy happy happy!!

I am a hardcore casual player at best!!
Always up wind from my prey. I want them to smell my farts!

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: Aidan.4602

Aidan.4602

I believe that 200 gem price is pretty much reasonable & completely justifiable, and, as was mentioned above, will stimulate ANet to produce higher-quality content.

pure speculation below
Since I was browsing few other topics considering ‘Story Journal’ question, it let me to think that:
a) both open-world events and story instances will be available in these episodes due to the megaserver. People will be matched with other people if they, for example, choose ‘Escape from Lion’s Arch’
b) episodes may be like a bundle of 2+ releases. An example may be: “LS1 Finale Arc: Origins of Madness, Edge of the Mists (story pieces), Escape from LA, Battle for LA”; “Southsun Arc: Secret of Southsun, Last Stand at Southsun”; “Flame and Frost Arc” and so on..
Which also leads me to believe that next releases will be similar to the first Halloween, but with bi-weekly progressing. Imagine it starts with “Brisban Arc”, which is going to last 3-4 releases. I would be speculating that each of those releases won’t be sold separately, but instead in one ‘bundle’.

Just my two cents.

Aidan Vilesight, a Charr engineer – Desolation

200 gems is $2.50 USD

in Living World

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

The price is OK for me to pay for a few episodes that we missed, but it’s completly not fair for a new player. If someone buy the game a year later, he will have to pay for the game and for the episodes and that is a ridiculous price for a game.

My suggestion: When the season 2 ends, release a season 2 pack in the gem store, that unlocks all of the episodes for much lower price (like 2000 gems for the whole season).