Kind of concerned, anyone else?

in Living World

Posted by: Jeff.4680

Jeff.4680

Anyone else realize the problem, that we’re a week away from the finale of this LS chapter, and still don’t even have the slightest clue of Scarlet’s motives?

Sure, we know she’s digging for something. How is that any solid information at all, considering it took months to build up to that?

I thought for sure they were going to lay down some major story elements to be resolved this week in the last patch, but instead it was just a zerg-fest with a nice cutscene.

Also judging by the preview, it looks like next week is going to be another story-lacking zerg-fest.

Anyone else see the potential problem here??

From the smallest blade of grass to the largest mountain, where life goes—so, too, should you.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Maybe you should wait until it’s released to see what’s there instead of making up problems in your head.

in Living World

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Well it is a legitimate concern.

This is the last installment of this living story and we are not knwing what is going on.
All we know is that a crazy sylvary hears voices, made a lot of noise and is now crashing the LA afk party…

I am sorry, but this will not be an “end” to the story. It will be an cliffhanger.

We will get a reason, and maybe something akin to an ending, but nothing more.
This is no finished story, but a prelude into another one and that is annoying.

People are demanding a reason for her doing since half a year and that they are still waiting till the very last minute to reveal it is a dangerous direction they are going.

Depending on how they “resolve” it can realy make or break how this all is being viewed at.

In my opinion they should have revealed her “target” much earlier.
basicly revealing her at the jubilee. Finding out what she is after in the next few installments and now we are dealing with her mess…

Right now we will be getting an instance in her drill machine, fight and defeat her maybe and then we get the next story which deals with the aftermath. Which could be simple reconstruction or chaos… depending on what happens.

Overall i hope they pull it off, because they waited too long with this, that it is really hard to keep caring about her…

in Living World

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

We do know what’s going on. Scarlet is drilling for something beneath Lion’s Arch. Something she has been searching for for the last year. Something driving her mad with voices in her head that she is determined to find. She has plotted and planned for this. She has assembled an army to shield her from us. She has developed technology to track down the source of her madness. Now she is very close to uncovering it.

It’s all there if you pay attention.

Now what is it Scarlet is drilling to reach? We don’t know yet, nor should we. That’s why it’s a finale. We’ll find out at the end.

The idea that we should already know the end result is silly. That ruins the surprise and the mystery. You don’t flip to the last page of a mystery novel before you read the rest.

Well, if you do, you’re just weird.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in Living World

Jaken.6801

Why am i weird?

We had the lead up to the story with the molten alliance and the aetherblades.
We had the reveal of the enemy with the Jubilee.
We had the chase and some “wins” against her with the Artherpath in TA and the Toxic Alliance.
We pulled everything together, even raiding her private laboratory…

By now we should have pieced the puzzle together.

Yes we know what she was doing, but to this date we do not know why.
We have only assumptions.

We players have much more informations on the whole matter then the “stupid” people of Tyria and even we do only asume what she is doing.

The second to last storyline is in normal story telling the point were everything breaks down.

The last episode is supposed the part where we know everything and we just have to stop the thread… or everything goes down leading into a second season… a cliffhanger… or the aftermath, the clean up.

I do not want to flip to the last side.
I am just saying, that the fact that they have taken till the very last minute of their “story” to give us an answer is just an anoying tease and does not give much hope for a “good” ending.
Almost every story i know of gives you a “reason” before the final confrontation.

We know nothing about her reasoning

We know about the voices in her head.
We know that she is looking for something because of them.

However we do not know the reason why. We have no hint of her goal
We can only see what she is doing, but no clear direction or indication about what it is she is doing.

Dragons, ley lines, something else… all bets are still off.

We are still fighting off the “sideeffects” of her doing, but still do not know the main effect she might have on us.

Maybe i am weird, but this is a bit annoying for me, if the next release is the last of “Scarlets Story” and we are still not busting down her door…

in Living World

Posted by: oneeyedirishman.6835

oneeyedirishman.6835

Dragons, ley lines, something else… all bets are still off.

We are still fighting off the “sideeffects” of her doing, but still do not know the main effect she might have on us.

Yes. We’ve uncovered clues as to what Scarlet is up to in the form of the ley line presence (we know that dragons are tied to the magic of Tyria) and the voices in her head (We learned in the last Living Story patch that Scarlet may not have seen into the Eternal Alchemy, but rather had something in her mind revealed to her that had been locked away). These are the clues. They are all there and you can devise what you want from them.

What you seem to want is a conclusion, not hints, because we already have hints. The conclusion comes next patch, at the end, as conclusions often do. Be patient for one more week and you’ll get your answers.

in Living World

Posted by: Theundersigned.4761

Theundersigned.4761

Looks like another “zerg-fest”? Maybe. Looks “story-lacking”? …How can you even tell?

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

What you seem to want is a conclusion, not hints, because we already have hints. The conclusion comes next patch, at the end, as conclusions often do. Be patient for one more week and you’ll get your answers.

Are you sure?

The last of the spoilers and hints are out, it’s down to the wire. EVERYTHING that we’re still waiting for has to come in this one, final update.

I don’t think that even a good writer can pull it off, and a good writer wouldn’t have left themselves in this mess to begin with. Yes, they’re starting to get better, there’s some honestly great writing in the latest update. I’ll freely admit that. That doesn’t fix the overall problem of Season 1, though.

Maybe Season 2 will be better. Maybe it will be awesome. It won’t matter if Season 1’s so disappointing that the people that care about story and lore give up on the game.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

We do know what’s going on. Scarlet is drilling for something beneath Lion’s Arch. Something she has been searching for for the last year. Something driving her mad with voices in her head that she is determined to find. She has plotted and planned for this. She has assembled an army to shield her from us. She has developed technology to track down the source of her madness. Now she is very close to uncovering it.

Now what is it Scarlet is drilling to reach? We don’t know yet, nor should we. That’s why it’s a finale. We’ll find out at the end.

The idea that we should already know the end result is silly. That ruins the surprise and the mystery. You don’t flip to the last page of a mystery novel before you read the rest.

Hardly-that style of story telling is archaic and only amuses children: ‘wait until the very last episode then here-exposition dump and last moment twist!’. I’m sorry but most people roll their eyes when they see this type of technique. As a simple way to counter your ‘argument’ that exposition dump at the end is the best way to tell a story-Lord of the Rings. Imagine if for three movies you saw hobbits walking seemingly endlessly for no reason, going through all manner of trouble and turmoil and having spectres chase them-all of these epic things but the story didn’t tell you why. You don’t know they’re going to Mount Doom, you don’t know why they’re going there, you know they have some kind of magical thing-but you don’t know what it is or its effect. You guess it’s this little gold ring everyone keeps looking at but you’re at a complete loss as to why so much focus is placed on this seemingly normal ring-all because they think it’s a good idea to keep ‘mystery’ and explain everything in a 20minute monologue in the last movie. Yeah…it would be a horrid experience-even if you suffered through the first film you’d be hard pressed to watch the second and third.

No one is asking for how it ends-just a reason so the story seems coherent and people can put things into context. We’re entering into the highest stake moment of the story…with no context/attachment beyond ‘That kitten blew up my mystic forge! Imma kill her!’ Imagine for instance we knew Scarlet wanted to summon Majin Buu from a parallel universe and she needed vast amount of magic to do so. The priory tries to find places and come to conclusion that LA is one such place just as she attacks. Her initial attack is successful and now we have the evacuation. However there is a sense of agency and impending doom as you know she’s summoning Buu. Then next patch you are able to put the stakes in context…but if all of this is suddenly revealed at once then it is far less impactful as there is no build up. Timing is very important in story-telling.

But still, it’s the first time such a thing has been attempted so although it’s clearly not good story-telling, I personally am willing to cut some slack-however, yes, I agree going into a high-stakes battle without knowing the stakes is just ridiculous.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

in Living World

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

She’s breaching for the intersecting magical ley line which has been stated several times in the game. These things exist since GW universe exists, and for all we know, elder dragons feed of magic at each awakening cycle, to “fix” the balance of the world etc.

She’s hearing voices in her head, described as coming from the “forest”. It could be that she’s being possessed by jungle dragon and basically she’s going to release a big feast for the dragon to consume. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it (would love if the story leads to this)

in Living World

DarcShriek.5829

The ending is hardly going to be a twist. The clues to the ending have been there. A twist would imply that the clues haven’t been there. The problem your having is that a comic book, movie or TV episode will typically have scenes that do not involve the hero and further explain what’s going on. Because we are the heroes, we don’t get to see this perspective.

To spend as much time and energy as some people have speculating if the end is going to be good enough baffles me. If you were concerned about the content I could understand, but it seems everyone is in a rush to criticize Anet. It’s gotten to the point where people refuse to even wait for the content to be released. It obvious though that many of Anet’s critics have no clue what it takes to produce even a simple game, let alone a game as complex as GW2.

in Living World

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

Not concerned. Because I play the living story and it essentially reads like a book. Everything is there. The conclusion is set up to be revealed in the next update.

Why do people already want to know the ending? The ending hasn’t happened yet.

The “motive” is likely the big reveal.

That seems like common sense to me.

Additionally, I have a feeling I’ve figured it out, because I’ve actually been playing the story instead of rushing through the content. If you wanted Scarlet’s motives and her methods, you should have been playing the story from the beginning.

The fact that it hasn’t been handed to you is not ANet’s fault.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Anyone else realize the problem, that we’re a week away from the finale of this LS chapter, and still don’t even have the slightest clue of Scarlet’s motives?

Sure, we know she’s digging for something. How is that any solid information at all, considering it took months to build up to that?

I thought for sure they were going to lay down some major story elements to be resolved this week in the last patch, but instead it was just a zerg-fest with a nice cutscene.

Also judging by the preview, it looks like next week is going to be another story-lacking zerg-fest.

I thought this was a problem months ago. I never liked they way they have told this story – Never answering questions, always leading people along in the dark with no clear understanding of what was going on.

I hope they don’t try this “wait til the very last minute before revealing everything” for the next major story.

I wouldn’t even mind if they gave us a false motive to begin with, at least it would be something. Everything seemed so random when you didn’t have an overall motive/plan tying them together, except for the hideously obnoxious antagonist. I’ll be happy to see her gone so we can have a real villain.

I wonder whether they should try some different writers, maybe some that understand high fantasy.

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I wonder whether they should try some different writers, maybe some that understand high fantasy.

Not that I think the story writing is good (I seriously don’t), but I don’t agree that this is the problem.

The problem is that they’re trying to write for a fairly difficult medium, and they’re trying it in a way few have done before. They’ve made some mistakes, but part of that is because they’re trying something new. Mistakes will be made.

I’m torn between waiting for the start of Season 2 to see if they’ve learned from past mistakes, and simply giving up all hope right now. But some of the best writers out there would have stumbled on this, because HOW you pace and present the story to the players is different than how it works in pretty much any other medium.

I’m going to be ungodly harsh on a writer here, and not one of the ones from ANet. Back in City of Heroes, they came up with the Architect System, a way for players to make their own series of missions. Text, costumes, characters… we had a LOT of things we could control, modify, or craft from scratch. And some truly AWESOME things came out of that. There were stories that made me laugh, stories that made me sad, and even one that made me more than a little uncomfortable with myself by the end.

And then there were the celebrity stories. Story arcs written by established writers with lots of fans. One of these writers was one of my long time favorites, Mercedes Lackey. When the day came, I couldn’t wait to jump in and play what she had made.

It
Was
TERRIBLE!

It felt like a bad fan fiction, with my character as a worthless suck-up who happened to be doing something almost useful, and therefore reluctantly allowed to bask in the presence of one of her established characters. And the typos… even Coyote couldn’t laugh at how bad they were. Playing that story arc was crushing. Disappointing. Infuriating. How could she have failed so badly?

But, in hindsight, it’s okay. It was something new for her. She didn’t know how to present the story for the medium, and she made mistakes. She’s still a good writer, and I’m sure that with practice she got better at making AE missions. As much as I may like to hate on the current LS writing, I guess I can’t help but understand that it’s not as easy as it looks to make something like this.

I know some of my AE arcs were stinkers, too. More than one hit the trash can once I got the hang of it, then looked back at what I’d already made. So… yeah. Maybe they’re not as bad as we like to think. Maybe they just needed a good trial run to learn what works. Let’s see what Season 2 brings, and then judge.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

The whole story is build around the mystery. The authors focused so much on the “new mystery”, instead of existing lore, that they broke a few lores along the way. Kraits were the prime example.

By this point very few players even care about the “mystery” anymore. They care a lot more about the old lore that was broken.

And the “mystery” is nothing more than Mordremoth awakening. It isn’t even that big of a deal. We knew this will happen from before the release of the game.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in Living World

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

What is lore-breaking about the Krait?

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Well for many people the Krait thing is lore breaking, because one of their traits is xenophobia. Its true that they think of themselfes as the higher race, and they think that they didn’t need the help of others.

One of their other traits is that they are religious fanatics, and they would do everything to make the return of their prophets possible.

Here is a problem, Anet never said which of the traits is more defining of the Krait and so many players assume that their Xenophobia is the only defining trait, like they assume with the Dredge and the Flame Legion.

In my opinion the Krait thing is not really Lore Breaking but there are still many problems with Krait working for Scarlet. Sure their religion was used to get them on their side, but there are many thing that weren’t explained. ( And with such an unlikely thing you need to go in detail to make this believable ) Were did Scarlet got the Obelisk Shards? How did she prevent the Krait from gutting her on sight? And why are they still working with her?

Here we need explanations from the game to make this believable but we never got any. No clue where she got these shards. No hints or informations how difficult it was to find an Orratus that would actually listen to her ( I think this one was really difficult bit we never got something about this ). If we for exapmle got some hints by notes or a prisoner that she spent months to find a willing Orratus, it would be more believable and fewer would have a problem with the Krait working for Scarlet.

The right informations can be the difference betwenn Lore breaking, -bending and actually be completely fine with the Lore

in Living World

DarcShriek.5829

If you want an indication as to how long Scarlet has been planning this, look at the dates in the journal. She’s been at this for quite some time.

in Living World

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Well for many people the Krait thing is lore breaking, because one of their traits is xenophobia. Its true that they think of themselfes as the higher race, and they think that they didn’t need the help of others.

One of their other traits is that they are religious fanatics, and they would do everything to make the return of their prophets possible.

Xenophobia doesn’t mean they will never deal with other species. They’re just highly distrustful of non-Krait. Scarlet got their aid by appealing to the religious fanaticism. She had some “holy relics” of their Prophet faith that they badly wanted, and I believe she held up her end of the bargain, giving them the shards.

Also, these are not the entire Krait race. Just a splinter group that apparently took a chance on Scarlet, like with the Dredge, Flame Legion, Inquest and Nightmare Court.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in Living World

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Xenophobia doesn’t mean they will never deal with other species. They’re just highly distrustful of non-Krait. Scarlet got their aid by appealing to the religious fanaticism. She had some “holy relics” of their Prophet faith that they badly wanted, and I believe she held up her end of the bargain, giving them the shards.

Also, these are not the entire Krait race. Just a splinter group that apparently took a chance on Scarlet, like with the Dredge, Flame Legion, Inquest and Nightmare Court.

Actually Kraits never worked alongside another race before. Scarlet was the first non-krait that they ever worked with.

From official wiki:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krait

“These intelligent creatures are vicious and xenophobic, attacking and enslaving all other species on sight.

“They believe other, lesser races have nothing to offer them, so the krait never bother to communicate with them. Never beaten, they are convinced that they are blessed and elevated: the superior species in the world. "

Back to topic:

So by lore, it is easier for Scarlet to “sweet talk” the Pact into joining her, than sweet talking the Kraits into joining her.

Read what I just wrote again. Take it in. :P

Why is that? Well the Pact (e.g. me and you) will at least give her 5 minutes to listen to what she have to say. The Kraits will try to enslave Scarlet on sight. That’s how the lore was set up.

So for this part of the story to make any sense, the story writer need to prove that Scarlet have god like “sweet talking” abilities to get the Kraits into joining her.

Problem is, we have never seen this “sweet talking” ability of Scarlet. Every time we see Scarlet she appeared as an insane chick. All her underlings are more serious than her. Aetherblade flat out said they follow her because they are afraid of her (e.g. not sweet talking).

If the writer want to prove that Scarlet is a sweet talker, they have to prove it. And so far, they did zero proving.

As for obelisks, LOL ok think about it. Scarlet stole your obelisk from your old home. Would you work for her? No!!! You will try to kill Scarlet and take the obelisk back from her. Its simple logic.

And Krait themselves were forced out of their old homes by the elder sea dragon. On land, they were attacked by Zhaitan’s risen army. So why would they help Scarlet raise the elder jungle dragon in LA?

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Living World

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

Did you really just say there has been no clue to what is coming? Lets completely ignore the spoilers from reddit. Strictly in-game stuff, there has been TONNES of clues in these last updates, the scarlet instance underneath durmond priory ALONE gave you clues out the kitten . The last bunch of updates they have massively improved their story telling capability.

Still not 100% there yet but cmon dude, you can’t honestly believe that can you?

in Living World

Posted by: Otowa.9450

Otowa.9450

I’m kinda concerned too by the last season 1 update, because there are so much things that have to be clarified in only one update :

-What did really Scarlet saw in Omadd’s machine? Even if it was apparently already part of her mind, that would mean that this was probably part of the sylvari consciousness…
-What’s the point with Caithe? What do Scarlet know about her that this heroin wants to hide (or only to reveal by herself, as stated in Twilight Arbor “C4” path)?
-What is the purpose of this giant drill? It appears in the atlas that its appearance will change, and that the interior of it is designed… We can assume that it’s where the final battle again Scarlett will take place.
-What will happen with all the alliances (Fusion, Aetherblades and Toxic)? Will they just be dismounted after this?
-What is Evon Gnashblade preparing?
-What is Medic-O-Tron preparing?
-… and so on…

During the 3 last updates I worried more and more about the fact that answers didn’t come at all, and that I am not sure that Anet is able to release enought content to answer all the questions in the last update…

But…well… wait and see…

in Living World

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Not that I think the story writing is good (I seriously don’t), but I don’t agree that this is the problem.

The problem is that they’re trying to write for a fairly difficult medium, and they’re trying it in a way few have done before. They’ve made some mistakes, but part of that is because they’re trying something new. Mistakes will be made.

I’m torn between waiting for the start of Season 2 to see if they’ve learned from past mistakes, and simply giving up all hope right now. But some of the best writers out there would have stumbled on this, because HOW you pace and present the story to the players is different than how it works in pretty much any other medium.

I’ve snipped your post for brevity, but I thank you for providing a good example of how a writer can struggle with a new medium. I think the writers also have to deal with the fact that they have to “publish” chapters of the story before the end has been written.

Sure, they can have the ending planned out, but once something has been put into the game, they can’t really go back and rewrite it. This means there might be inconvenient plot holes where early chapters don’t quite fit in with later story developments.

in Living World

Jaken.6801

So yeah, basicly a lot of loose ends still there.
A lot of unanswered questions and guaranteed leftovers from this now nearly completed story.

Which usually is not wrong, but i do not see a satisfying ending coming.
This will end either with some exposition dump, some half truth or solidfies this whole event as a prelude for the following story.

Scarlet herself was never “dangerous”. She never did something to us directly, however the sideeffects are the things that hurt us.
I care as much for her at the moment as she does for us.
Which is strange, because i understand what is going on, but her just being a reckless genius all the time is kinda boring, in the light that there might something behind her doing.
If she really wants to unleash something, be it to fight (captain ahab`s white wale) or free it (controlled puppet) then it just deminish her character even more, since it is actually not her we are up against, but the entitity.

Not knowing her endgoal at this point in the story only leaves us with the question “why?” till next week, with an more or less predictable conlusion (we allready know that we wont get LA back for a while. So whats left is clean up till the next story or a new enemy… )

If the amount of story-content we got from all the last patches is any indication i do not expect a lot of lore/story to come out of the last release.
I am sorry, but the pace is arguably slow and some things could have been shortened or put together in one release (looking at you arkward Kas/Maj szene on the beach… you just did not fit…)

While now all pieces are laid out, we are still missing some crucial informations. That is the simple truth.

I mean seriously… if there is a goal to her plans, then anyone in her army, her journal, her notes, anything would have indicated her true goal or target.

We do not know anything. Right now it is just a forced “twist” or “mystery” left over till the last possible minute.

I only expect her telling us her goal in the best James Bond villian manner in the obvious exposition dump.
Well that, or we get to see what she unleases, so everything goes to hell anyways…
And if she is not able to talk after our beating we might even finaly read her last notes..

So yeah… expectations are low at that point, since i have no idea what i am up against and knowing that this is the last part of the story actually takes all the wind out of my sails…

What happened to:
- introducing a problem
- failing at solving the problem
- second wind and pursueing the enemy
- driving the enemy back/forcing him to act
- understanding his goal as an means for motivation
- beating the enemy (win or failure is irrelevant)
- conclusion, cake and beer or chaos, whatever comes first…

short version: i am annoyed that i have to fight an annoying villian who is not able to tell me why i should hate him. She is just poking us with her stick and dodging everything we throw at her. Not because i am to weak, but because the “plot says so”.

Just give us a reason to finaly smash the face of that annoying enemy. This dancing around the issue is not funny, thoughtprovoking or anything.

in Living World

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Actually Kraits never worked alongside another race before. Scarlet was the first non-krait that they ever worked with.

From official wiki:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krait

“These intelligent creatures are vicious and xenophobic, attacking and enslaving all other species on sight.

“They believe other, lesser races have nothing to offer them, so the krait never bother to communicate with them. Never beaten, they are convinced that they are blessed and elevated: the superior species in the world. "

Back to topic:

So by lore, it is easier for Scarlet to “sweet talk” the Pact into joining her, than sweet talking the Kraits into joining her.

Read what I just wrote again. Take it in. :P

Why is that? Well the Pact (e.g. me and you) will at least give her 5 minutes to listen to what she have to say. The Kraits will try to enslave Scarlet on sight. That’s how the lore was set up.

So for this part of the story to make any sense, the story writer need to prove that Scarlet have god like “sweet talking” abilities to get the Kraits into joining her.

Problem is, we have never seen this “sweet talking” ability of Scarlet. Every time we see Scarlet she appeared as an insane chick. All her underlings are more serious than her. Aetherblade flat out said they follow her because they are afraid of her (e.g. not sweet talking).

If the writer want to prove that Scarlet is a sweet talker, they have to prove it. And so far, they did zero proving.

As for obelisks, LOL ok think about it. Scarlet stole your obelisk from your old home. Would you work for her? No!!! You will try to kill Scarlet and take the obelisk back from her. Its simple logic.

And Krait themselves were forced out of their old homes by the elder sea dragon. On land, they were attacked by Zhaitan’s risen army. So why would they help Scarlet raise the elder jungle dragon in LA?

Right. It is too convenient. These sorts of Lore breaks to accommodate the plot detract from the value of the story being told. If the story cannot be told within the boundaries of the Lore, perhaps it needs to be rethought and rewritten.

As Chips said, there has been nothing in game to suggest Scarlet is a sweet talker capable of raising such alliances. A character more akin to Frank Underwood would have been more interesting in the game. Someone who could craft alliances and trick factions into working together. Someone who wouldn’t bat an eye at betraying any of them to achieve their own goals.

Perhaps even more interesting would have been Ellen/or Evon (whoever would have won the election) allowing Scarlet to keep pestering the players and causing minor havoc. This would give Ellen (in our case) the grounds and opportunity to build alliances in secret. All to lead to the attack on LA where she uses the ineptitude of the Lionguard and Captain’s Counsel to call for a vote of wartime leadership.

Ellen could thank the player for being integral to her plan and offer him/her a place beside her. The player of course refuses and asks what is to be done about Scarlet. She says that Scarlet was never more than a mad dog let off its chain and a loud distraction to keep Tyria looking in all the wrong places. Players defeat Scarlet, Kiel individually crushes the factions and makes the new, reformed LG look powerful and resolute. She again asks you to reconsider your stance. The player again refuses and she says that she does not forget a favor but she will not ask a third time. The player parts ways and boom. Now you have a new political/military force in LA that isn’t some black and white enemy.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Living World

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I’m sorry but for anyone expecting some startling revelation or climatic well though out ending that will tie everything together you need to take a long hard look at what the LS has been like so far and adjust accordingly otherwise you are setting yourself up to be very disappointed.

I personally expect it to fall flat, in the event that it is actually semi-decent then I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle

Man…. some of you must have some serious issues even watching a normal tv series. All the waiting and such involved. I bet many of you either dvr it and watch it at all the end of the season or netflix/hulu/whatever it after the season finale. No patience, sheesh.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.