Living Story- Where are the Dragons?

in Living World

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Greetings all,

As usual, I am floating around reading various issues, suggestions, complaints, theories, etc. about our lovely Guild Wars 2, when I stumbled upon an interesting post about the Dragons.

I wanted to take time and ask the question on where we stand with combatting the Elder Dragons and why Living Story is not (or is it?) following up on where the main story left off.

Currently in the main story we were left cleansing orr and had a unity amongst the orders/races in order to combat the other dragons. The faction was strong and the optimism to combat the other dragons seemed high.

• It seems the context behind the living story has fallen below the overall players standards of “Tyrian Hero”. Like the post I linked had stated, we are meddling in smaller affairs than the overall threat of the dragons. With the wake of Zhaitan being slain, I would assume the other dragons would be aware with all of their spies, minions.

Overall I think there needs to be focus on the overall threat to tyria and bring the player back to the spotlight of being the hero he/she is. Currently I do not feel the vibe the player is the main character, but rather various NPCs taking the spotlight. I would also like to see the Destiny’s Edge group brought back to the limelight as well.

The randomness in the living story is hurting the overall good of the actual “story”, and just seems like updates full of “stuff” to keep us busy. I would prefer to be connected with the world of Tyria and combat the threats that loom!

(edited by Antara.3189)

in Living World

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

We were just bashing dragons…

On a serious note, I think the Living World story will eventually tie into the Dragons again. Alot of the stuff they have done up till now was very experimental and setting up so they can deliver the LW story.

As for what we have been doing, its mainly been linked to assisting with the problems of our backers. The Pact relies on the races of tyria for it’s resources and support. Having them tied up with serious problems directly effects the Pact.

The Pact itself is probably tied down mopping up the Risen. Almost certainly we will moved on, particularly if one of the other Dragons starts to move against us. For now we are dealing with internal issues (Inquest, Ministerial corruption, LA politics and Flame Legion activity). These have been very much a major part of the story too.

Im sure the story will move back to the dragons eventually. There are two that still havent even been formally introduced. In the mean time we are seeing the world get fleshed out and major players who will likely be involved in our future conflicts with the dragons get introduced.

in Living World

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Fighting the Dragons would be terrible for Living Story. If they made an Elder Dragon as temporary content, alot more people would be kitten ed. Its easier for people to feel ok losing temporary content when it feels less significant, or repeated, but not a major foe of Tyria.

in Living World

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

The dragons don’t like JPs, temporary dungeons and mini games so they’re off playing other games at the moment. ;p

in Living World

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

I’m glad to see this topic, because I was going to make one.

This latest Bazaar update might have thrown me off the ship for a while. I like the general adjustments with achievements and the wvw blueprints being trade-able, etc.

But I’m getting tired of this fluff they’re calling a Living Story. I don’t think the primary storyline or the big bad Dragons matter any more. This content is to keep players occupied, time-filler. At the least, have an Elder Dragon decimate a zone for pete’s sake… or are they just sleeping?

At least there’s WvW to keep things interesting.

in Living World

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

At the least, have an Elder Dragon decimate a zone for pete’s sake…

I vote they annihilate Lion’s Arch, the most overused city in the world and leave it destroyed for at least a year in real time.

in Living World

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

Fighting the Dragons would be terrible for Living Story. If they made an Elder Dragon as temporary content, alot more people would be kitten ed. Its easier for people to feel ok losing temporary content when it feels less significant, or repeated, but not a major foe of Tyria.

They can at least have the Dragons do something (like decimate a zone… or half a zone…) that reminds us of that desperate need to defeat them in the first place. The actual Elder Dragon shouldn’t be temporary content , but dealing with the aftereffects of an Elder Dragon’s minions or assault could be.

in Living World

Lutinz.6915

Its worth noting that the Zephyrites quite likely have strong links to the EDs with their apparent links to Glint (through what sounds like the old Dwaven Brotherhood of the Dragon). They even may know the location of Glint’s offspring.

The EDs most definately havent been forgotten. I think we will see their story woven into the overaching plot of the Living Story as it unravels.

in Living World

Posted by: DelusionsOfGrandeur.9287

DelusionsOfGrandeur.9287

I’m not sure whether this is true or not, but I’ve heard that aside from the LS teams, there is also another group at Anet who’re working on some longer term content, which will presumably be permanent and tie into the main story (and therefore will most likely be dragon-related).

That said, I certainly wouldn’t object to the suggestion that there’s an LS event in which a dragon ruins an area and/or invades it with an army of minions, since that sounds like an epic idea. And as for this;

At the least, have an Elder Dragon decimate a zone for pete’s sake…

I vote they annihilate Lion’s Arch, the most overused city in the world and leave it destroyed for at least a year in real time.

Well, while I seriously doubt that’ll ever happen, I for one would find it hilarious… though only because I never bother with Lion’s Arch myself (I much prefer Rata Sum to any of those disorganised and haphazard bookah cities), I imagine that everyone who uses the mystic forge would be somewhat annoyed at that.

in Living World

Posted by: Durlug.5631

Durlug.5631

I don’t mind this sidetrack from the Elder Dragon storyline, gives you a sort of break inbetween. However, as someone who took a break from the game for awhile (stopped playing for a bit once I hit 80 and got bored, started playing again during Wintersday content and now just started to play again this summer) the story of this whole side stuff is lost on me. While I was heavily invested in the personal story / main storyline of the game, I don’t feel that connection with this side stuff. The characters, at least for me, are way less interesting than the members of Destiny’s Edge. I mean right now we are dealing with some political council thing where the Aetherblade’s tried to weasel a spot on the council so they have inside information or something? Now we are having some thing with both Kiel and Gnash trying to get a spot on the council as well.

I was kind of hoping at the end of Dragon Bash we would have some awesome event where one of the Elder Dragon’s minions launches a massive attack on Lion’s Arch which would then lead to the battle with said Elder Dragon. I just find the main storyline in the game to be so much more interesting, uniting the Pact to push into Orr, gain control of the area, and fight Zhaitan and his minions. It was awesome. Obviously they put way more time into that storyline in comparison with the current updates but I would like to see it going somewhere. Maybe after this Bazaar event, and most likely the election of either Kiel or Gnash in the next event, we will see some progress. I just remember being so interested in the storyline in GW1 throughout all of the expansions that has been a bit lost on me in this game and I find it harder to follow / be interested in

in Living World

Antara.3189

I wasn’t advocating that battling the Elder Dragons should be directly implemented via Live Story, but I would like to see more direct influences from the EDs’ throughout the Live Story. In the LS there have been no evidence they even exist anymore. Dragon Bash seemed like a victory celebration; which is fine but it’s time to get back down to business.

With that said I do think Live Story should include the Destiny’s Edge group more-so than not because they all have extensive knowledge on the dragons and are valuable allies when combating the ED’s. Growing on their stories and helping them would be nice. Currently I’m getting overwhelmed with new direct characters.

1. Canach
  2. Ellen Kiel
  3. Braham
  4. Rox
  5. Mai Trin
  6. Marjory Delqua
  7. Mysterious “E”
  8. Lady Kasmeer
  9. Evon Gnashblade

Also want to note the new “Guilds” or “Pacts” which have yet to be fully expanded upon.

1. Consortium
  2. Aetherblades
  3. Zephyrites

Before overwhelming the LS with a ton of new faces and groups, I would like to see the above also expanded upon and what their ultimate motives are/was. Currently there are a large portion of loose ends. Including the little piece with Marjory and Logan regarding the .little ghost boy who was going to spill the beans about how he was killed

in Living World

Posted by: kurnugia.9860

kurnugia.9860

personally I think that the living story is acting as a bridge for content from the original guild wars 2 to content that would form a theoretical expansion. going on the basis that with zaitan defeated and his forces being mopped up by the pact that it might leave an opening in transportation to cantha therefore an opportunity for brand new content that might be required for some story reason. Also due to the inclusion of a charcter like mai trin, an eastern inspired name, it might be a precursor for looking more into that continents current situation and therefore mayby the is someone else behind the aethblade that might turn out to be an attack/invasion from whoever controls cantha now.

in Living World

Antara.3189

personally I think that the living story is acting as a bridge for content from the original guild wars 2 to content that would form a theoretical expansion. going on the basis that with zaitan defeated and his forces being mopped up by the pact that it might leave an opening in transportation to cantha therefore an opportunity for brand new content that might be required for some story reason. Also due to the inclusion of a charcter like mai trin, an eastern inspired name, it might be a precursor for looking more into that continents current situation and therefore mayby the is someone else behind the aethblade that might turn out to be an attack/invasion from whoever controls cantha now.

I’m all about Cantha, I get stoked every time it comes up. But even still… what about the Tyrian EDs? :x

in Living World

Posted by: DelusionsOfGrandeur.9287

DelusionsOfGrandeur.9287

Hmm… now that you mention it, that Zephyr Sanctum place does seem a bit Canthan…
I sure hope you’re right, anyway.

in Living World

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

We were just bashing dragons…

On a serious note, I think the Living World story will eventually tie into the Dragons again. Alot of the stuff they have done up till now was very experimental and setting up so they can deliver the LW story.

As for what we have been doing, its mainly been linked to assisting with the problems of our backers. The Pact relies on the races of tyria for it’s resources and support. Having them tied up with serious problems directly effects the Pact.

The Pact itself is probably tied down mopping up the Risen. Almost certainly we will moved on, particularly if one of the other Dragons starts to move against us. For now we are dealing with internal issues (Inquest, Ministerial corruption, LA politics and Flame Legion activity). These have been very much a major part of the story too.

Those are just convenient excuses. Yes, it is true that the pack needs to take care of its backers or it will fall apart, and yes it is true that risen remain to be mopped up. However, the Elder dragons will be aware of their comrades death, and its illogical to think they will remain quit about it, allowing us to get stronger, to march on them and whip them out one by one. Perhaps they will be scared, but a beast is akittens most dangerous when dying. Maybe they consider Zhaitan to be the weakest and will blow us off as harmless insects. Or maybe, with Zhaitan out of the picture, they will move up to take the spot of top dog themselves. Either way, the dragons always have, and always will be on the move, so I can’t comprehend how we are permitted to slack off.

Im sure the story will move back to the dragons eventually. There are two that still havent even been formally introduced. In the mean time we are seeing the world get fleshed out and major players who will likely be involved in our future conflicts with the dragons get introduced.

It better not in living story, such content is too vital to the core story to be temporary. The adventure/journey to slay the dragons, must all be in personal story.

in Living World

Lutinz.6915

Those are just convenient excuses. Yes, it is true that the pack needs to take care of its backers or it will fall apart, and yes it is true that risen remain to be mopped up. However, the Elder dragons will be aware of their comrades death, and its illogical to think they will remain quit about it, allowing us to get stronger, to march on them and whip them out one by one. Perhaps they will be scared, but a beast is akittens most dangerous when dying. Maybe they consider Zhaitan to be the weakest and will blow us off as harmless insects. Or maybe, with Zhaitan out of the picture, they will move up to take the spot of top dog themselves. Either way, the dragons always have, and always will be on the move, so I can’t comprehend how we are permitted to slack off.

Firstly the EDs arent comrades. They are at best rivals and more realistically enemies. They aren’t allied. Secondly, your assuming that they think in the same way we would. The EDs are very elemental in nature. They are driven by their desires and hunger. They also are used to consuming the world over quite a long period. They may register us as a threat but above that they probably dont really care about us save that we are something to be either destroyed or assimilated and we are probably not the only power that has their attention.

Who’s to say Zhaitan is the first ED to ever be killed? Considering we dont know what caused the EDs to exist in the first place, how to be know new EDs cant rise to replace old ones? One of the mysteries of GW2 is what are the origins of the EDs.

The other point I will make is we dont infact know where any of the other EDs actually are save for very vaguely. We know Jormag is somewhere in the north but not where in the north. Theres an inland sea up there and alot of territory he could be in. Primodus could be anywhere under the ground. We dont even know for sure where Kralkatorik is. We think he might be in the Crystal Desert but we have no proof of that. The last two EDs (that we as players know the existance of) arent even known to exist by our characters.

We knew exactly where Zhiatan was.

It better not in living story, such content is too vital to the core story to be temporary. The adventure/journey to slay the dragons, must all be in personal story.

We see development on that story in this patch. The Zephyr Sanctum is tied to the heritage of Glint, the former champion of Kralkatorik who broke free of his control and is the reason the Dwarves, Jotan, Seers and Forgotten survived through the last cycle (she hid them). Its highly likely that the Zephyrites will be involved in our conflicts with the EDs later on.

I do agree that when we actually go after the dragons themselves Im hoping for more permenent content. Certainly taking down a ED is something you want to be replayable. But they have noted that missing part of the LS and need to add more perminant content as things they need to work on.