Living World and Achievement points

in Living World

Posted by: ilovepi.3542

ilovepi.3542

This may have been mentioned before, but it can really suck for people to miss the Living Story updates in theory because they are worth hundreds of achievement points. Now that every 500 achievement points get you major monetary and cosmetic rewards, missing 2 or 4 week temporary content could really be a shame. I can’t think of a way to fix this because I like the achievement point rewards and I like the frequent living story updates.
PS Thank you arena net for the great new content!

in Living World

Posted by: Magxene.2579

Magxene.2579

It sucks that if you miss one update that you get very far behind in points. It would be not such a big deal but the truth is, points are actually worth something now. I feel bad for people that miss an update here and there but the people I feel worse for are those new coming to the game. It has to be overwhelming and intimidating for a new player. They will never be able to experience the Living Story or get any of the achievement points as the players from the beginning have. If I was a new player thinking of buying the game this would discourage me from purchasing.

in Living World

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

There was a thread which seems I can’t find anymore talking about how the achievements became the new quests. Instead of having a quest log with permanent quests, we have a Hero panel with (temporary) achievements
I agree the rewards from achievements are not necessary a “big deal”, but like all rewards, people are chasing them.
It seems that everything became a “carrot on a stick”. If there isn’t one, people seem not to find anything to do so A-Net provides them with these temporary living story achievements

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Just imagine starting the game as a new player next year, where you’ll forever be down 10k points while 20k points was the norm. Since the rewards are linear, that means that over time the problem will only get worse and only day 1 players will ever be able to obtain newly added achievement rewards.

Normally, it wouldn’t matter, but since a large bulk of points, the majority of points, come from temporary content, obtaining achievements rewards will become nearly impossible. Some players will be years behind.

Besides removing temporary achievements, there’s really no way to keep rewards special to a high number of points while also making them realistically obtainable. For example, they could replace zenith weapons with an achievement skin claim ticket that would allow you to choose any achievement weapon skin, but then that would no longer make the high point skins special – to show off.

in Living World

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Well, personal achievements are ok. It took us 1 year to get them, it will take the new players 1 year too. The problem is not in here but in the leaderboards.
If they want to get in there on top places they will never be able to do it unless the to top players give up the game.

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

My complaint is how many APs are awarded for such menial tasks. Is pressing F 150 times in the safety of Lion’s Arch (for dragon pinatas) really an achievement?

in Living World

ilovepi.3542

I wonder if they will use the same achievements when they reuse the content next year. If they do it would give a chance for people that missed them this year, but it would make it so people who got them this year would have no new ones to get.

in Living World

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

I wonder if they will use the same achievements when they reuse the content next year. If they do it would give a chance for people that missed them this year, but it would make it so people who got them this year would have no new ones to get.

I hope so. I never really did any of the Halloween achievements (too busy leveling at the time) and I hope to be able to make up those points eventually.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’ve completed all of the Living Story achievements released to date (except for the Gauntlet achievements which I’m still working on), but I heartily support the achievements for festivals returning again each year. I don’t see why new players who weren’t around the first time shouldn’t have the same opportunity to earn the achievements we did.

in Living World

Posted by: Pewintodo.4138

Pewintodo.4138

I don’t see the need to complete everything just for a few AP’s. There are other ways to get them besides LS and as time goes by there will be better guides on maxing them. Instead of focusing on how many are forever lost think about how many more will be added every other week. Am I going to spend 12 hours trying to complete Liadri and spend x amount of gold on traits and upgrades? No! I’ll perhaps do the daily and combine the kill x creatures in kryta with kill x creatures underwater simultaneously and get an extra point more than I need for the laurel.

Who wants to be a slave to the LS when you can go and throw hammers at other people in wvw? Just do the ones with rewards you’d really like. One day they will hopefully balance it so you can get the same number of points in pvp/wvw as PvE/LS in a fortnight

in Living World

ilovepi.3542

I don’t see the need to complete everything just for a few AP’s. There are other ways to get them besides LS and as time goes by there will be better guides on maxing them. Instead of focusing on how many are forever lost think about how many more will be added every other week. Am I going to spend 12 hours trying to complete Liadri and spend x amount of gold on traits and upgrades? No! I’ll perhaps do the daily and combine the kill x creatures in kryta with kill x creatures underwater simultaneously and get an extra point more than I need for the laurel.

Who wants to be a slave to the LS when you can go and throw hammers at other people in wvw? Just do the ones with rewards you’d really like. One day they will hopefully balance it so you can get the same number of points in pvp/wvw as PvE/LS in a fortnight

Yeah, that’s what I like about the system. You can get AP from lots of different places. It’s just if you skip the LS achievements your theoretical max achievement points goes down.

in Living World

Posted by: Pewintodo.4138

Pewintodo.4138

I hear what you’re saying but to me it’s only the same as saying “if you start wvw today, you’re always going to be many wvw ranks behind those that started playing it 3 months ago”. Obviously true but it’s not a major issue.

We don’t yet know what the AP limit is and what happens if we get there. Will it be open-ended or capped at some upper limit? I would guess the latter given the account bonusses which are linked in. In which case there will come a day when those who have already hit the cap will only be unlocking new skins/minis ect.

My reason for thinking this is simple. If it’s not capped we will get to a stage where someone can kill a mob outside divinity’s and get 22 coppers but with 1,000% gold bonus that would become >2 silver. 100,000% and you get 2 gold which would be really silly. It seems likely that the boosts will get capped at some level so any points after that will be purely to unlock rewards or for bragging rights. As soon as someone makes a big deal about having thousands more AP’s than me I will just say “yeah…. but I have a life!”.

in Living World

Posted by: GreyJackal.7319

GreyJackal.7319

Just imagine starting the game as a new player next year, where you’ll forever be down 10k points while 20k points was the norm. Since the rewards are linear, that means that over time the problem will only get worse and only day 1 players will ever be able to obtain newly added achievement rewards.

Normally, it wouldn’t matter, but since a large bulk of points, the majority of points, come from temporary content, obtaining achievements rewards will become nearly impossible. Some players will be years behind.

Years behind what, exactly?

Anyone who starts today is several thousand points “behind” you or I. Or several hundred WvW kills “behind”. Or has less gold than us (possibly not in my case) Just like any other game.

I had two months off recently due to workload, so I only caught the very end of the Zephyr Sanctum and completely missed whatever was the one before that, so I’m shy of those LS achievements. I could not give a monkey’s.

Given the purely cosmetic nature of any reward post-Exotic, I really do fail to see the problem.