Make achievements available from the start.

in Living World

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

PLEASE.

This has really been frustrating me for a while now.

I have 8 characters, normally I’d play through the story with a couple of them and in the end I’d have all achievements.

Now, I have to do story with 1 character and then repeat the exact same instances for achievements. If I want to do it with a different char, I have to complete the exact same story again completely before I can try for an achievement.

It’s a really pointless design decision and it’s hurting my enjoyment of the game.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Well, as have been said after every single S2 release (since this exact thread have been created multiple times after each one) they did it this way because otherwise people would focus on the achievements, miss out on the story and then whine about not understanding the story.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Clip.6845

Well, as have been said after every single S2 release (since this exact thread have been created multiple times after each one) they did it this way because otherwise people would focus on the achievements, miss out on the story and then whine about not understanding the story.

Ridiculous reason though, it’s how you treat children who can’t make their own choices. Besides, for most achievements you have to play through the same instance 3-4 times.

Focusing on achievements would only happen in open world living story anyway I think, people would just follow the zerg for a quick AP boost.
The story instances have spoken, unskippable dialogue. You CAN’T ignore the story and focus on achievements. During combat there is litarally no storytelling going on, and the combat is only made challenging by trying to get the achievements in the first place.

I’d even go as far as say this has the reverse effect on me.
The first time I play through it I rush it, as fast as possible, because I know I’ll be hearing it all again when I go for achievements and it’ll bore and frustrate me soon enough.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

in Living World

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Then let them whine. I fail to see the problem.

I think it’s fine to lock the tooltip descriptions for the achievements. That way, you don’t know what they are until after the story. But if you manage to actually complete the achievements, then you get credit for it.

in Living World

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

What i would like instead is that after the first playthrough achievements become unlocked for all your characters.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I fail…

Yes, you do.

I’d prefer my attention wasn’t divided between what I can spot as possible Achievements, resisting the urge to check for Achievements, and the story.

in Living World

Posted by: Isomorphic.4630

Isomorphic.4630

What i would like instead is that after the first playthrough achievements become unlocked for all your characters.

The funny thing is they actually said they would do this. I guess they forgot.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-story-journal/

Once one character on your account has completed an episode in their story journal, every character on your account will have access to a set of challenging achievements.

in Living World

Isomorphic.4630

If this exact thread has been created multiple times, then it means it’s an actual issue right? If they allowed them off the bat, I really doubt anyone who wants to understand the story would focus on achievements yet not pay attention to the dialog they’d be listening to at least twice (since the achievements often conflict).

I wonder if the people who defend ANet’s decisions on this even do all the achievements..

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

If this exact thread has been created multiple times, then it means it’s an actual issue right?

Mounts.

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

PLEASE.

This has really been frustrating me for a while now.

I have 8 characters, normally I’d play through the story with a couple of them and in the end I’d have all achievements.

Now, I have to do story with 1 character and then repeat the exact same instances for achievements. If I want to do it with a different char, I have to complete the exact same story again completely before I can try for an achievement.

It’s a really pointless design decision and it’s hurting my enjoyment of the game.

You know delayed gratification is technically more gratifying than instant gratification right?

Doesn’t it work that way already? Might have changed for episode 3 but for episode 2 I know for a fact when I did the episode on my alt I was unlocking some achievements.

in Living World

Isomorphic.4630

If this exact thread has been created multiple times, then it means it’s an actual issue right?

Mounts.

There’s a difference between asking for a completely new feature and asking for a change of a poorly designed one.

Doesn’t it work that way already? Might have changed for episode 3 but for episode 2 I know for a fact when I did the episode on my alt I was unlocking some achievements.

It only works for some achievements. For example in “Recalibrating the Waypoints” instance, “Mischief Maker” didn’t activate after the correct dialog when I was doing the chapter on an alt after finishing the meta on my main. Problem is, there’s no way of knowing which achievements work on alts and which ones don’t, so you can try doing them on a new character, but there’s a chance it will be a waste of time and effort.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Mounts.

There’s a difference…
… poorly designed…

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

in Living World

Nkuvu.2570

I fail…

Yes, you do.

Rude and unnecessary.

I’d prefer my attention wasn’t divided between what I can spot as possible Achievements, resisting the urge to check for Achievements, and the story.

Then don’t pay attention. You have the option to disregard achievements the first time through if that’s your preference. However if I do want to pay attention to the achievements (or if I complete them through my normal game play) I should have the option of having those recognized.

in Living World

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Where did they say this? This is a poor justification from the way you’re wording it.

Or words to that effect.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

I fail…

Yes, you do.

Rude and unnecessary.

Then don’t pay attention. You have the option to disregard achievements the first time through if that’s your preference. However if I do want to pay attention to the achievements (or if I complete them through my normal game play) I should have the option of having those recognized.

It’s as easy as flipping a switch! Oh no wait, the human brain

Don’t think about elephants.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I agree. Locking the achievements until the story has been completed once is just a thinly-disguised attempt to increase replayability in a fake manner. At the VERY least, once the achievements have been unlocked on your account, any character should be able to complete them. Each individual character should not have to complete the story themselves before they become eligible.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Locking the achievements until the story has been completed once is just a thinly-disguised attempt to increase replayability in a fake manner.

Seems like one group doesn’t want them unlocked during the first run, and the other group wants them unlocked by default (at the least, hidden but achievable on the first run). What’s a compromise?

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

The compromise would be achievements are locked during the first run, but once the first run is done, achievements are unlocked account-wide. You don’t need to do the LS on an individual character in order to use that character to get the achievements if it turns out one is better suited to the task than another.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

The compromise would be achievements are locked during the first run, but once the first run is done, achievements are unlocked account-wide. You don’t need to do the LS on an individual character in order to use that character to get the achievements if it turns out one is better suited to the task than another.

So the alternate character, they don’t get the Achievement buffs when entering the instance? I know I can see the Achievement details on other characters, but I’ve never gone to an instance.

in Living World

Nkuvu.2570

So let me paraphrase your argument, just so I understand. “I can’t focus on the story and achievements at the same time. Therefore no one else should even have the option.” Does that sound accurate? Or have I misinterpreted you somehow?

I’d be fine with this, personally. In addition, the user interface shows this exact setup — once one character finishes the story, the achievements are listed as unlocked even though they’re still locked for alts. Not to mention the quote linked earlier by Isomorphic.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

So let me paraphrase your argument, just so I understand. “I can’t focus on the story and achievements at the same time. Therefore no one else should even have the option.” Does that sound accurate? Or have I misinterpreted you somehow?

I’ve thrown my chip in with the argument that Achievements being accomplished on first runs is distracting.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

So the alternate character, they don’t get the Achievement buffs when entering the instance? I know I can see the Achievement details on other characters, but I’ve never gone to an instance.

Correct. Say, for example, I’m trying Dragon’s Reach P2 for the first time on my Mesmer. All achievements are locked, so I can just focus on the story.

Now, my Mesmer isn’t exactly built for high DPS, so for achievements, I normally turn to my Ranger or my Warrior. However, despite the achievements now being unlocked on my account since I completed the story once, I STILL cannot complete the achievements on my Ranger or Warrior. I must complete the story once on either of them before I’m eligible. Likewise, if it turns out that my Warrior has high DPS, but an achievement requires a lot of dodging and thus my Ranger will be more useful, I now have to complete the story a THIRD time on my Ranger so that she becomes eligible.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Correct. Say, for example, I’m trying Dragon’s Reach P2 for the first time on my Mesmer. All achievements are locked, so I can just focus on the story.

Now, my Mesmer isn’t exactly built for high DPS, so for achievements, I normally turn to my Ranger or my Warrior. However, despite the achievements now being unlocked on my account since I completed the story once, I STILL cannot complete the achievements on my Ranger or Warrior. I must complete the story once on either of them before I’m eligible. Likewise, if it turns out that my Warrior has high DPS, but an achievement requires a lot of dodging and thus my Ranger will be more useful, I now have to complete the story a THIRD time on my Ranger so that she becomes eligible.

Unlocking the Achievements account-wide sounds like a neat idea. But I’m not fond of your example, you seem so inflexible with how your characters operate.

in Living World

Clip.6845

Unlocking the Achievements account-wide sounds like a neat idea. But I’m not fond of your example, you seem so inflexible with how your characters operate.

It’s a side effect of having many alts, I have it too sometimes.
If you play 8 characters you can afford to stick with 1 build per character.

It’s like for fractals I normally join with my engineer but if I die too much because of whatever reason I’ll switch to my warrior because i’d lose too much dps on engi if I made him tankier while my warrior doesn’t lose dps. If the whole group dies I’ll switch to my guardian because a warrior just can’t do the job of a guardian.

You get used to the strenght and weaknesses of your alts and you switch appropriately. It’s a fun way to play because it gives you a reason to play with your alts instead of sticking to one character and letting your alts gather dust on character select.

(edited by Clip.6845)

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

It’s a side effect of having many alts, I have it too sometimes.
If you play 8 characters you can afford to stick with 1 build per character.

It’s like for fractals I normally join with my engineer but if I die too much because of whatever reason I’ll switch to my warrior because i’d lose too much dps on engi if I made him tankier while my warrior doesn’t lose dps. If the whole group dies I’ll switch to my guardian because a warrior just can’t do the job of a guardian.

You get used to the strenght and weaknesses of your alts and you switch appropriately. It’s a fun way to play because it gives you a reason to play with your alts instead of sticking to one character and letting your alts gather dust on character select.

I have nine.

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’d be pretty upset with someone in my fractals group who kept dying, swapped characters, kept dying, and then was like “ugh, I guess I’ll just play my Guardian.”

I’d be like “then why the ##!#@ didn’t you start with your @#&$*ing Guardian!”

Maybe that’s just me.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Clip.6845

I’d be pretty upset with someone in my fractals group who kept dying, swapped characters, kept dying, and then was like “ugh, I guess I’ll just play my Guardian.”

I’d be like “then why the ##!#@ didn’t you start with your @#&$*ing Guardian!”

Maybe that’s just me.

Sigh, you imagined that wrong, I’ll elaborate.

I said I’d only switch to my guardian if my team kept dying, not me. Tbh that ususally happens when i do a 49 fractal pug with no guardian in the group and we end up at harpy or grawl. My guardian is built tanky for support and he would be no use in fractals beside those 2. Yes, I could switch to a support engi build, but why would I do that when I have a character ready for that purpose and all it takes is a relog?

I like playing my engi most (my main), but he’s pretty squishy. If I join a lvl 49 or lvl 50 fractal with a pug and some of the others keep dying too, I cannot carry that group without sacrificing a lot of dps. My warrior on the other hand can afford to absorb a few hits while ressing a teammate and as everyone knows your dps is high. I would never keep dying on my warrior.

You cannot always tell what kind of PUG you end up with and you may have to adapt, I prefer to adapt by changing characters.

It’s like when I used to switch to thief in the old dredge fractals to do the switch + bomb run or mesmer when you could still jump in from the top.

I adapt to the non-meta pug, I don’t adapt because I play better/worse with certain characters.

For the last month I only had to switch to my guardian 1 time and I never switched to my warrior, it’s not like it’s a common occurance, most high level pugs are decent.

TLDR
—-

I almost never have to switch, but I CAN when I need to.
I CAN’T switch for the story achievements because you need to do the whole story again first.

(edited by Clip.6845)

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

TLDR
—-

I almost never have to switch, but I CAN when I need to.
I CAN’T switch for the story achievements because you need to do the whole story again first.

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes more sense now.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

I am generally happy with finishing the story before having the achievements to work on. However, once the story is completed on one character on an account the player should have the option of either replaying the story on each of their other characters or just skipping right to the achievements. That way people who want to do the story more than once can, and people who want to work on achievements on different characters can also do that.